Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    This is my current favourite Vocation beer… really nice but proper falling over juice in that it’s very drinkable but a poky 5.7%
  • Options
    Caldy Lollipop. Pretty good. Thankfully not as hoppy as the blurb suggests. 

• Options

Always liked the glass!
  • Options

Always liked the glass!
    Lager and lime?
  • Options

Bavarian rhapsody. Brewed in the Pinter.

looks like a stout, but it’s a dunkel.

Not too bad at all 🍻 
  • Options
    Honestly did not know what to expect with this one...

...it's not very beery tasting at all but it was actually very nice. You wouldn't want a session on it on a cold winters evening but it was surprisingly refreshing and quite moorish. 
  • Options
    My every other Saturday night tipple. Just the one -

• Options
    Pint of Taddy Lager and a glass of house white wine over £13.00 seemed a tad over the top, this was in the Chandos.  Only had the one round in there before moving on to the Harp...£10.20 a round in there so fairly reasonable. Always thought that Sam Smiths pubs were reasonable but seem to be getting expensive (£7 for a bag of peanuts and a pint of lager in The Angel in The Fields) where I was earlier in the day. Seems a shame as they do have some great pubs in London.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    T said:
    This is my current favourite Vocation beer… really nice but proper falling over juice in that it’s very drinkable but a poky 5.7%
    Good news! Just picked up a four pack of 330 cans in Tesco for about £4.50 on clearance 

Also picked up a couple of cans of Northern Monk chocolate and caramel porter which should be a decent fireside drink now the evenings are getting a bit autumnal 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Pint of Taddy Lager and a glass of house white wine over £13.00 seemed a tad over the top, this was in the Chandos.  Only had the one round in there before moving on to the Harp...£10.20 a round in there so fairly reasonable. Always thought that Sam Smiths pubs were reasonable but seem to be getting expensive (£7 for a bag of peanuts and a pint of lager in The Angel in The Fields) where I was earlier in the day. Seems a shame as they do have some great pubs in London.
    The pubs themselves are normally quite good - characterful, in terms of the look and architecture - but I've always found the atmosphere in their pubs to be, well, "a bit shit". Probably because they are usually full of civil servant types who are only in there because , a) it's cheap, and b) there isn't normally a Spoons nearby.

I've tried for years to like their pubs because I do like a characterful "old man" style pub. But for some reason I can't quite put my finger on they normally leave me cold.

That feeling when you walk into a pub for the first time that looks great from the outside, but as soon as you get inside you realise it's a Sam Smiths pub and the heart sinks .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    The pubs themselves are normally quite good - characterful, in terms of the look and architecture - but I've always found the atmosphere in their pubs to be, well, "a bit shit". Probably because they are usually full of civil servant types who are only in there because , a) it's cheap, and b) there isn't normally a Spoons nearby.

I've tried for years to like their pubs because I do like a characterful "old man" style pub. But for some reason I can't quite put my finger on they normally leave me cold.

That feeling when you walk into a pub for the first time that looks great from the outside, but as soon as you get inside you realise it's a Sam Smiths pub and the heart sinks .....
    Trouble is it isn't cheap anymore, we went in last night as it's handy for the train back to Hastings, glad we left and went in The Harp....which was fairly empty and we got a couple of stools to sit on which isn't usually the case in there.
  • Options
    Ouch, Sam Smiths have always been cheap in the past.
  • Options
    Ouch, Sam Smiths have always been cheap in the past.
    Absolutely, I did say to the barman are you sure he said yes mate, maybe I should have asked for a receipt but I'd had a few and couldn't be arsed. 
  • Options
    A pint of Taddy Lager in The Horse & Groom Gt Portland St was £5.20 last week.
    So it was probably a large glass of white wine for £7.80.
  • Options
    Thought as much Mrs Hastings likes her vino.
  • Options
    Had a cask pint or two of this Kent brewery stout in my Folkestone local the other night. Bloody lovely and the added benefit of being isinglass free: https://www.pigandporter.co.uk/beers/blackbird 

So for those of us who don't eat/drink animal bits and bobs they're a great choice - no animal derivatives in any of their beers (including all cask). Been years since I had a cask ale and was over the moon to find one so close to home.  
  • Options
    Thought as much Mrs Hastings likes her vino.
    I'm far from a Joe Lycett fan. However ...
    Joe Lycett's Got Your Back C4 8PM Thursday 23rd (tonight)
    "Joe annoys the boss of Samuel Smith pubs"
    Worth recording and just looking at what that's about?
  • Options

Was a bit disappointed in this. Have previously really enjoyed Burnt Mill's offerings but this was just a bit too run of the mill, nothing special to justify the premium price you're paying for it. 
  • Options

Was a bit disappointed in this. Have previously really enjoyed Burnt Mill's offerings but this was just a bit too run of the mill, nothing special to justify the premium price you're paying for it. 
    I don't know where that comes from, but I wouldn't fancy on the name alone. The only Burnt Mills I know is an industrial estate in Basildon ;)
  • Options
    I know that industrial estate weirdly Stig. Used to live not far from there. Burnt Mill brewery is Ipswich way I think. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A pre-match beer before Holyport v CB Hounslow I bumped into Limahl from Kajagoogoo.
    The Punk IPA was up to it's usual standard I am pleased to report.
  • Options
    Did you introduce yourself or were you too shy?
  • Options

A pre-match beer before Holyport v CB Hounslow I bumped into Limahl from Kajagoogoo.
    The table number has been disguised to protect its identity 
  • Options
    Verdant - Allen is back. Got half a dozen. We beat Fleetwood, I’m going to devour one. 
  • Options
    Can of Allen it is….
  • Options

A work colleague saw them in concert just after they hit number 1. 

Not saying they didn’t have many songs but Their 10 song gig opened,closed and had an encore of Too Shy. 
  • Options
    Coconut Porter from the Black Isle Brewery. 

...slightly more fizzy than I expected but the coconut definitely wasn't overpowering. Quite nice. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

First pint of Guinness for about 9 years, it’s was like I’ve never been away.
    If I'm not being too personal, why the break?
    Had a couple of operations on my ankle, think the anesthetic change my taste buds, as afterwards every pint I had was horrid. I then lost about 3 stone and just never missed it or the hangovers. Would have the odd whiskey every now and again, have had a few beers recently without going over board, so no hangover and I've enjoyed them. So I've basically learn to stop and not carry on, mind you next week trip to Lincoln will be the test.
  • Options

Nice enough but nothing particularly special about this beer tbh (a Mexican wheat beer) other than it was my 100th different beer within the last year. Weirdly I don't consider myself to be a big drinker at all but I do enjoy trying out different styles and beers. 
  • Options
    From a post on my local area facebook.

Is this normal?