Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I read a few contributions complaining why has not CP strengthened the right half / wing position. How do these people not know that CP has not tried to do this?

I understand Alan Judge plays in the right half position and CP wanted him but with the lack of funds available there was no chance of that. Easy to say why didn't CP strengthen the right midfield or get another striker but he was likely given very little elbow room financially to bring anyone in.

That's why we have Church, who is a willing runner but needs someone quality to play alongside him. Marvin Sordell has improved a bit but did he really want to be at Charlton ?

Given some backing CP will produce a promotion winning team.
  • Options

WSS said:

We were crap yesterday. Happy to lose 1-0 it seemed with the lack of ambition and cp not changing any thing.

wish they would of told me they were not going to bother even if were losing because i wouldn't of wasted my time and money.

Did you think we were going to win?

Didn't Powell make some really early subs as well? Sometimes you need to hold up your hands and say the other team is superior.

They were obviously better. My point is we were beaten yesterday before we went on the pitch. There was no belief, we didn't look like scoring but the bench failed to change it.

QPR's players couldn't believe how easy it was. It was à total stroll.

At least have a go for the fans sake.
    QPR players couldn't believe how easy it was ????

So why didn't they score a hatful of goals ?

Maybe SCP should have gone for it and tried 2 up front in the 2nd half but not too many options on that bench you mention...

This team are NOT world beaters. SCP said it would be a long, hard season. We have the players that we have- not the gaffer's fault.

Not a level playing field with regards to money spent on a squad but please don't indicate it was a "total stroll" for the opposition. That denigrates the efforts of what is an honest, hard working group of players and our Manager working with limited resources.

Not making excuses...Just telling it like it is and why we need to SUPPORT all concerned, not belittle them.

Only my opinion of course..

We didn't even try to score. Thats my point.

I more than do my bit supporting the club probably not as much as the great fanny fanackapan but when they are good i say they good. When they are bad i say they are bad.

The grounds i go to are the place for support. This forum is for opinions.

unless you want me to bury my head in the sand and say everything is wonderful.
    No way was my intention to rattle your cage, stonewallpenalty, or to denigrate your support for the lads. And I certainly don't think of myself as any better than any other fan, and believe me I do respect their opinions.

I honestly believe that we were nowhere near "bad" yesterday- limited, yes but we all appreciate the reasons for that. And everything is nowhere near wonderful ..whatever else you may accuse me of, I am a realist. I really don't see yesterday as a total stroll for QPR and felt that statement gives an unfair picture to those unable to make the game.

However, maybe those "tied hands" are on the verge of being loosened and by the time the Ipswich game arrives, our squad will have been strengthened in the areas which we surely agree are lacking ....and those shots on goal will be too numerous to count . We can but hope but watch this space...

Am I back on your Xmas card list ?

• Options
    Surely it all comes back to a lack of depth and quality in our squad.The options for CP are very limited at the moment.
    By the way,did anyone think QPR were more a team of posers and has -beens than anything else---Rob Green,Joey Barton,SWP,Kranjcar,Richard Dunne,O'Neill,Jenas---do they seriously expect to be retained if QPR are promoted?Just quick fixes with more massive investment required by their owner if promoted.Thought they just passed it around with no great threat and without Austin have no top quality goalscorer.Why does he save the special goals for us?
  • Options

" Harriot is pure potential and shouldn't be relied upon "

biggest load of cock I've read on here. Harriott is about the only player we have who wants to run at defenders & shoot. Main reason we are in this position is because he's not playing or don't you remember why we finished so well last season.

Of the limited I have seen of Harriott this season he has been wank , which is prolly the reason why he hasn't been a regular starter , he started last week against Leeds and we let in 4
    Hasn't had much of a run has he? Seems to have been in out, in out. Don't know how any player is supposed to find form and consistency in such circumstances. Anyone who turns in a dodgy performance one game is out the next. Morrison and Hamer being the exceptions who have been allowed to play through their poor form. Golfie is correct, Harriott's inclusion was responsible for turning last season around and Powell seems to have forgotten that.

Harriott has started 6 games this season (7 including the Donny debacle) and they've yielded 3 points

the other 9 games have gotten us 11 points

Harriott started the first 3 of the season (4th was Donny ) 2 defeats and 1 draw
    The defending was crap in the first 3/4 games. Our slight improvement was a result of tightening up the defense and not conceding poor goals.
    I have no idea how Harriott has been performing, I haven't seen him yet this season, but I know this:
    A) He hasn't suddenly turned into a crap player overnight.
    B) He is a young winger, we shouldn't be surprised if he suffers from bouts of inconsistent form.
    C) We are not exactly blessed with players with pace and attacking flair, something we desperately need ATM.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2013
    Against Leeds it showed playing two attacking wing / wide midfielders leaves the full backs exposed. Against Leeds, it showed that Wilson needs support from the right half as he is a bit average at right back. Green/Stewart/Harriots is not a good combination as none of them play the supportive roll that well. Leeds had a good player with McCormack and QPR had much better quality and would have slaughtered Charlton if we had not kept it tight.

Stewart should be on the right and Harriots on the left. Wiggins is better on the left so it is natural to put on a fast winger on the left and Pritchard on the right if you want to keep things tight. Starting with Harriots on the left seems wiser than starting with Stewart.

Danny Green, only good as an impact sub late on, or to play Harriots on the left and Stewart / Green on the right, when losing and chasing the game. Starting the game that way would have been a reciepe for a 3-0 defeat.

I understand the contributions saying that maybe at 1-0 down, things could be changed, particular towards the end as we were losing and that's a fair point.

Pritchard is better in central midfield IMHO. The team is lacking in quality and attempting to shift the various pieces around into a winning jigsaw is not easy, and it is similarly easy to be wise after the event. Who knows if our post game suggestions would have worked either ?

The only thing that will really make the difference, is all the injured players - Chris Solly / Woods and KMG getting fit alongside a change of ownership, who will allow for some strengthening in key positions - right midfield and striker being two of those.
  • Options
    What a boring crap game that was yesterday. Played for a 0-0 like we always do.concede just before half time and instead of giving it a go we do nothing. Finally brings on kermit but then takes church off and were back to square one again. Brings on Harriott but sticks him on the wrong wing. Why does he keep putting him there he done so well playing on the left last season so why weaken his game. He can set up well defensively but why is he so scared to really go at teams when were losing. I would rather lose 2 or 3-0 and give it a go then accept a 1-0 defeat and do nothing.
  • Options
    I agree that I don't understand why Harriot is brought on to play / or starts on the right when he is left footed. Maybe he is slightly better at supporting the right back then Stewarts or Green, but it still doesn't seem right.

Maybe switch for a few minutes if the manager insists but right sided players playing on the right side and left sided on the left.
  • Options
    I am not his biggest fan, too early to say that the Dear Leader is or is not the messiah, despite the knighthood bestowed by some on here, but he didn't have much choice other than trying to snatch a result yesterday against a very strong side. It is understandable against a team of their strength to keep it tight, if not entertaining for the fans, you need to pick and choose who to attack, Tuesday looks like a good time to go for it though.
  • Options
    Harriott is LLoyd Sam mark two
  • Options

Why the fuck is cp still playing pritch at right midfield?

He can't cross has no skill or pace. Is cp the only one who can't see this. Total liability.

Wonder how he got all those assists last season then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those saying that we should have "given it a go", you do realize that you need to have the right players to actually do that? We don't have the sort of players available to us to go and do that in all its glory against a very strong side like QPR.

I swear some people think of Championship football as something as straight forward as playing FIFA on the Playstation where you can just do what you like.

We were always going to struggle when Church was up front on his own running onto scraps. We are going to struggle EVERY time playing that way, but we will grind out results from time to time (see Birmingham away), and it will keep us up.

Good to see Yann back.
  • Options

QPR players couldn't believe how easy it was ????

So why didn't they score a hatful of goals ?

Maybe SCP should have gone for it and tried 2 up front in the 2nd half but not too many options on that bench you mention...

This team are NOT world beaters. SCP said it would be a long, hard season. We have the players that we have- not the gaffer's fault.

Not a level playing field with regards to money spent on a squad but please don't indicate it was a "total stroll" for the opposition. That denigrates the efforts of what is an honest, hard working group of players and our Manager working with limited resources.

Not making excuses...Just telling it like it is and why we need to SUPPORT all concerned, not belittle them.

Only my opinion of course..

With all due respect FF... You say "it's not the gaffers fault" - it has to be - he put this side together in L1 to win that league and compete in the Champ... This is not happening at present plus he brings in loanees who don't improve the team - he needs to pull his finger out and start trying to win games instead of not losing them!
  • Options

Another toothless, gutless, passionless showing. A team playing in its managers and supporters image. You can't keep defending Mr Powell because he's a nice chap. Chris Hughton anyone!

Actually nice bloke is only part of it, he is also a Charlton legend, but then from my point of view that is not enough, however the third point is that he has been starved of effective funding for squad strengthening. Like the manager before him he has achieved a level with a squad that is over achieving.

Of course, judging him and the team against a team like QPR is unfair, the real result that we need is on Tuesday and a poor performance then is a time to question the players commitment.

Powell is not a great manager, as some here make out but neither is he a crap manager as your comment implies. IF we have new owners they may give him a chasnce with real funds or they may treat him like the previous manager, although that and a move to the Pen in one fell swoop maybe a bit much to take ... we will see.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer said yesterday that while the first choice XI is decent, any injuries and the squad looks threadbare. Compare that to Nico Kranjcar coming in for Junior Hoylett, Andy Johnson coming on, Luke Young sitting on the bench...nuff said, IMHO
  • Options
    My team for Donny
    Hamer
    Wilson, Morrison, Dervite, Evina
    Stewart, Cousins, Stephens, Wiggins
    Jackson
    Kermy

Subs Alnwick, Wood, Pritchard, Green, Harriots, Church, Sordell
  • Options

Paul Mortimer said yesterday that while the first choice XI is decent, any injuries and the squad looks threadbare. Compare that to Nico Kranjcar coming in for Junior Hoylett, Andy Johnson coming on, Luke Young sitting on the bench...nuff said, IMHO

Time to show that against Donny, threadbare or not we cannot let them dominate us, again,time to go for it and turn the season around.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Another toothless, gutless, passionless showing. A team playing in its managers and supporters image. You can't keep defending Mr Powell because he's a nice chap. Chris Hughton anyone!

Actually nice bloke is only part of it, he is also a Charlton legend, but then from my point of view that is not enough, however the third point is that he has been starved of effective funding for squad strengthening. Like the manager before him he has achieved a level with a squad that is over achieving.

Of course, judging him and the team against a team like QPR is unfair, the real result that we need is on Tuesday and a poor performance then is a time to question the players commitment.

Powell is not a great manager, as some here make out but neither is he a crap manager as your comment implies. IF we have new owners they may give him a chasnce with real funds or they may treat him like the previous manager, although that and a move to the Pen in one fell swoop maybe a bit much to take ... we will see.
    Good points kap, completely agree.
  • Options
    In my opinion one of the major contributing factors for the loss yesterday was the high intensity and high up the pitch pressing game that allowed us no space and it inevitably ended up with a back pass to Hamer. When you're playing with a striker up front who isn't exactly renowned for his heading then what do you expect when Hamer's only option is to smash it long ...
  • Options

He can't cross has no skill or pace. Is cp the only one who can't see this. Total liability.

We should offer him à 5 year contract based on last season?

Pritchard has been shit all season. Open your eyes and Let go of the past.

• Options

He has been very poor overall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where did I say that? Calm down. Pritchard hasn't been great this season but then neither has anyone else in this team. Claiming Pritch 'can't cross has no skill or pace' is factually inaccurate - see goals from crosses in his Charlton career. Too many people equate form with ability. If Pritch had been signed from a league team he wouldn't get half the abuse he does, but because he came from non-league he can play just as well as a player like Stewart or Jackson and still get the claims that he's not a real footballer. He'll have good games and bad games, same as literally every other player in our team. Some fans have to have their go to players for abuse though
  • Options

Where did I say that? Calm down. Pritchard hasn't been great this season but then neither has anyone else in this team. Claiming Pritch 'can't cross has no skill or pace' is factually inaccurate - see goals from crosses in his Charlton career. Too many people equate form with ability. If Pritch had been signed from a league team he wouldn't get half the abuse he does, but because he came from non-league he can play just as well as a player like Stewart or Jackson and still get the claims that he's not a real footballer. He'll have good games and bad games, same as literally every other player in our team. Some fans have to have their go to players for abuse though
    This has nothing to do with where he came from. He has been poor. Very poor.

I don't abuse him. He is shockingly bad at times.

He has been the worst player on the pitch many times this season.
  • Options
    It was ok to play with a 5 man midfield at QPR but I can't understand the reluctance not to have a go with 15 to go. We waited until the 87th min to bring on a second striker. Even that took about 4 mins from the time Sordell was stripped and ready to come on. It was if we were satisfied with a 1-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Chris did it when we were in League 1. Was given the funds and look what happened. Since then we've had minimal investment. Last year we finished 9th with basically the same team that we have now minus Fuller, Haynes and Obika up front. That's the difference. I know Chris wanted Fuller to stay but we just didn't have the money. No way should he be judged until he's given some readies to strengthen the squad. Then let's see how he manages.

Those calling for someone else to come in are short sighted in my opinion. With all the upheaval going on at the moment, that added to it would have been a recipe for disaster. Give Chris a chance to work within a stable environment and let's see what he can do.

How would anyone like to work with a team when half the players and also the coaching staff will be out of contract soon That includes Chris himself. Everyone has half an eye on that. Get real folks.
  • Options
    Good post Rob. Do those who think CP was responsible for us losing yesterday think we would have won with Hairy Redknob in charge? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Says it all, Rob.
  • Options
    Personally thought Jackson as Pritchard were the worst, jacko looked like he was going to keel over and die after 20. Couldn't believe Powell took church off instead if jacko.

On the plus side I thought Harriott and kermorgant looked like they'd make a difference.

Big big game on Tuesday
  • Options

On the plus side I thought Harriott and kermorgant looked like they'd make a difference.

Actually that's right. There were a few minutes at the start of the second half and after they came on that I thought we might scrape a point.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Actually that's right. There were a few minutes at the start of the second half and after they came on that I thought we might scrape a point.
    This, been out all day what's all this diatribe about? We were second best yesterday in midfield and up front which = defeat, so the away set up for a point or best fell flat. No point in slagging in off individual performances or the gaffer what we had, was what got us a result at Brum end of and on to Tuesday's it's a 6 pointer COYR.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Chris did it when we were in League 1. Was given the funds and look what happened. Since then we've had minimal investment. Last year we finished 9th with basically the same team that we have now minus Fuller, Haynes and Obika up front. That's the difference. I know Chris wanted Fuller to stay but we just didn't have the money. No way should he be judged until he's given some readies to strengthen the squad. Then let's see how he manages.

Those calling for someone else to come in are short sighted in my opinion. With all the upheaval going on at the moment, that added to it would have been a recipe for disaster. Give Chris a chance to work within a stable environment and let's see what he can do.

How would anyone like to work with a team when half the players and also the coaching staff will be out of contract soon That includes Chris himself. Everyone has half an eye on that. Get real folks.

Please don't let Colin1961 dominate this forum as he has done with Glynnes list. He constantly calls for Powell's head, causes arguments and totally thrives on the controversy he deliberately creates.
    Don't waste any energy in making a reasoned argument against his unreasoned nonsense, he wont take any notice and will spout the same rubbish at the next opportunity.