Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Callum Harriott is a MUCH better player than Lloyd Sam.

Lloyd was one of the must frustrating players I have seen at Charlton. Constantly running into dead ends and turning back on himself, and just generally lazy. The often used commentator statement that he had "pace" was also a huge myth.
  • Options

I enjoyed the game. I know we didn't offer much going forward, but we were playing against the best defence in the league. It was like trying to attack a Premier League side. We handled them really well, and they only threatened a second goal late on.

Assou Ekotto was the best player on the pitch and we kept him at bay, Pritchard was not massively outclassed, he was just up against a better player.

True, we didn't offer much going forward as expected, but it was still an encouraging defensive display. And Jordan Cousins nearly pipped Charlie Austin for goal of the game.

As always, too much doom and gloom on here - it was a respectable showing against this seasons Championship winners.

The real talking point - I've never seen a home crowd that cr*p, never!!

Fulham in the cup last season?
  • Options

You've not been to Watford, then?
    Haha. Funny enough I have - I went to Watford away last season. I agree we were louder than them, but QPR on Saturday was something else. Barely a peep out of them for a full 90 minutes. They celebrated the goal and then sat down and kept quiet for the remaining hour. It was almost strange.
    I think they were just bored out of their skulls.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

You've not been to Watford, then?
    Haha. Funny enough I have - I went to Watford away last season. I agree we were louder than them, but QPR on Saturday was something else. Barely a peep out of them for a full 90 minutes. They celebrated the goal and then sat down and kept quiet for the remaining hour. It was almost strange.
    I think they were just bored out of their skulls.
    A friend of mine is an R's fan, and he says exactly that. They don't want to be in this league, they know they are going up this season, they know Harry is playing it safe every game which results in a boring 1-0 win, every game is a chore, but it will get them back to the Premier League.

I understand all of that. But it does not excuse that kind of atmosphere - whether its boring or not, your team is out there doing its job and winning. Not to support them while they're doing that is unbelievable - might as well stay at home.
  • Options
    Powell said that we didn't have that belief in the final third, but I think it's lack of skill where it counts. I won't single out just the forwards for this, as I believe we really lack creativity and pace in the midfield. I've never been a great fan of playing a right footed winger on the left and vice versa. I have only seen this work consistently for world class players like Ronaldo. If you look at Townsend at Spurs, yes he looks a great player and dangerous when cutting in, but even he isn't impacting games like he was a couple of months ago. So taking these two examples, what we get from Stewart out on the left and Harriot on the right is questionable. They're both very fast, and I would love to see them going down their natural wings. This would stop Pritchard being played out wide (he isn't effective there). However it would raise the question of what do to with that central midfield. I believe that Powell is using 5 across the midfield not just due to the injury crisis, but to accommodate Jackson & Stephens. Stephens seemed to have found some form 3/4 games back, but we need more, and we need consistency. He's still liable to give the ball away. Jackson, as I've mentioned on here before is not a player I rate. I know his goal scoring record is fantastic for us, and his commitment is unquestionable, but his legs are gone. I truly believe Powell has adopted 5 in midfield to allow Jackson to have no defensive commitments and play just behind the lone striker. This would be great if his goalscoring levels were reflecting this, but we've had 1 goal so far this season. I know he has been injured, but I feel that the whole team is shaped to accommodate him, without realising the wider impact it has.

On Tuesday, if we go two up top, Kermorgant & Church, then this means we'll probably have 4 in midfield. Jackson will have to play, and we'll get absolutely ran ragged if it were him and Stephens in the middle. Cousins has looked a steady player who is very quick and performs the defensive duties in the centre very well, but if he's dropped then the balance is all over the place once again. I think Powell will want to keep the same formation, and I reckon Kermorgant will replace Church.

It's all a bit frustrating really, as I agree the whole uncertainty on the business side of the club is impacting the performance levels. These next two games are huge, but regardless of who we play against, we still have to score to win. I hope we've got enough about us to do that.
  • Options
    agim said:

Agreed SCP approach is far to cautious for my liking. I'd of rather us go for it and loose 4-0. As I said I do believe he was thinking about Tuesdays game. I think Kermo and Church will be up front in a 4-4-2

From a fans perspective you are right, but from a managerial perspective CP will take into account the effect a 4-0 drubbing will have on the team as against a narrow defeat.

Morale such as it is, will be higher in time for the Doncaster game after a narrow defeat than a drubbing.
  • Options
    I wonder if the answer is to play JJ on right? Less likely to be pushed off the ball and can drift inside where he can pass better than Pritch.
  • Options
    Agree Kap10. Even goal difference comes into play.
    I'd be tempted to play 4-2-3-1 Tuesday. Cousins and Hughes sitting. Stewart, Stephens and Harriot the 3 with Kermo or Church up front depending on fitness. Playing this formation though the 3 have to support or it just doesn't work. It always feels a bit flat with 4-4-2
  • Options

A lot criticising Pritch but saying Green not much of an alternative. Easy solution. Stewart right, Harriott left. Simples.

(Posted when on first page of thread, been suggested a few times since I see. Great minds and all that)

It's not totally simples... Neither defend which is the problem for CP (I feel)
  • Options
    Just seen the goal .. a real cracker .. 3 crisp passes boom boom boom then a terrific shot from Austin .. oh for some of that attacking zest from our players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So. Let's am say we go 442 tomorrow, Kerm & Church..

Who are you gonna drop? Stephens or JJ? Can't drop Cousins in my opinion, and surely you don't think JJ will play wide?
  • Options
    I would worry that JJ is capable of playing so close to Saturday - he looked knackered - that might decide the team! I'd play DS, JC, CS & Danny Green (for an hour) then bring on Harriot - back 4 with Wood returning And Kerm/Church
  • Options

Just seen the goal .. a real cracker .. 3 crisp passes boom boom boom then a terrific shot from Austin .. oh for some of that attacking zest from our players

Oh for some of the millions that buys that 'zest'.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Oh for some of the millions that buys that 'zest'.

this .. though it aint watcha got .. it's 'ow yer spend it