Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Why does powell leave it till 3 mins to go before bringing on sordell.. Pointless absolutely pointless. And you can understand sordells attitude when even pigott is getting played before him
  • Options
    Inept
  • Options
    Beyond dysmal first five minutes, they had about 6 chances! The goal was coming and to be able to say that after just five minutes of play is shameful.

After they scored McCarthy showed why it's helpful to watch the team you're playing 4 days before you play them. He nullified our main attacking threats by sticking two men on Stewart and stopping balls in behind to Church at source, we had no answers to it.
    It was a toothless attacking display.

The ref was frustrating. He broke up play much too often and once when Stewart was in one on one! Also what was that bollocks when the ball was flying out of play for a charlton throw in and when it got to 3 yards away from the sideline the ref blows up for a head injury and then tells Wilson to give it back to the Ipswich goalkeeper. It was going to be our ball! Hopeless and bordering on ridiculous refereeing!

We move on but it's very disappointing after such an assured display against Doncaster. Consistency is what you need and we have failed in pulling together back to back wins.

On a plus note that overhead kick by Stephens was absolutely class and was the only thing to smile about at today's game!
  • Options
    I just knew after they scored that the game was gone for us, we just don`t do comebacks at home(minus forest). After the other night hopes were high today but had evaporated after just 5 mins with no way back!
  • Options
    there goal was straight at 2 defenders and a g/k and still went in,Powelly body language was poor, stood with hands in pockets all game.Coaching badges you are having a laugh.Kick it as long and high as possible, absolute shite, Donny and Yeovil win as well what a shit day. Oh yer to top if off went for a piss and at least 20 wankers smoking, worse than I have ever seen it, said to a steward that I cant even take my son for a piss, his response was he has been told not to go in there.Quality fucking quality.
  • Options
    Jacko's legs have gone :(
  • Options
    Can anyone remember a home game where we failed to create a single chance?
  • Options
    Posting without reading.
    We lost a tight game mainly because the depth of our squad means we can't force matters when we need to.
    Cameron Stewart was not able to open any doors for us, neither was Danny Green, maybe Calum Harriott should have been that player to beat a man, anyway he would have done more defensively than Stewart or Green.
    Up front we couldn't break through despite the effort, and Yann playing better than on Tuesday. Jacko isn't weighing in with the odd goal, which a year ago he might have done in a game like todays. Piggott did well when he came on, and caused a few problems, but by then it was already too late.
    Mick McCarthy watched us on Tuesday and the bloke managed the game well, from winning the toss, to ensuring the half time lead would be good enough, Ipswich were after three points, and took them home with them. They had done their homework, as I suspect the Reading manager may have also done for Tuesday.
    We hit the woodwork admittedly, but the game was basically lost right at the start. Objectively it was a decent standard game, but as I said earlier, we lack the quality, not however the effort.
    I thought Dervite, Alnwick, Cousins and Stephens were good, the rest were OK. I would say Cousins was our best player, with just one wayward pass at the end, due to tiredness. I wouldn't argue about Alnwick as mom either, and I am glad there is competition in the goalkeeping area.
    A real drag not getting any points, with a couple of tricky games coming up. It would be great if we could add two or three players to the squad. Michael Smith may help, not sure, and I wouldn't be gutted to see Stewart return to Hull.
    We have to soldier on, and hope Chris Solly isn't too far away.
  • Options

Dozens

• Options
    Jacko is not championship standard anymore......well on the left. If he isn't getting a game in the centre then powell needs to grow some and drop him. Last year his goals rightfully kept him in. Now he is a spare part.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    reading the player marks post .. high scores v Donny and low scores, scorn and derision heaped on the players today .. five days and such a change in the performances of the players, the same 11 as on Tuesday .. what is going on? .. I appreciate that consistency is the real difference between most championship and the average, non superstar prem player .. but these are well paid championship footballers who cannot put two decent consecutive performances together .. there was a post yesterday about players / staff not getting paid .. perhaps a wage based solely on performance would solve the inconsistency problem ... would any of them turn out for minimum wage though ?
    NOTE: I was at neither game and am going solely on listening to the Doncaster commentary and reading the posts following today's game
  • Options
    We looked like Donny did on Tuesday.

As said we got done by a typical Charlton away performance but our lack of ideas and cutting edge is worrying.

We are were we deserve to be in the league.

SCP tried Pigott and Green instead of Harriot and Sordell. Didn't work but how many options does he really have?
  • Options
    I don't think we lack effort, passion or desire. We just lacked quality on the day. Ipswich were so good defensively and they frustrated us which made us make more and more mistakes as the game went on and probably made the performance look worse than it was.

We have a very honest set of lads who want to do well for the club but we need that extra in the squad.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I can't say much I'm so fucking angry with my players my manager and my club at the moment! That display was unacceptable!
  • Options

Jacko is not championship standard anymore......well on the left. If he isn't getting a game in the centre then powell needs to grow some and drop him. Last year his goals rightfully kept him in. Now he is a spare part.

Played ok on Tuesday to be fair but not good enough today. Team really lacked a spark today....never looked like scoring. Good example of how to win away from Ipswich. Cousins was my mom today. I thought he put in a mature performance, excellent positional sense and simple, effective passing to keep possession. Wiggins good first half, Alnwick did what he needed to - I just arrived as first goal went in so don't know if he could have done anything about it? Rest of team below par.
  • Options

Dozens

More than that!
  • Options
    I know the team played bad but Cameron Stewart is my new "hate figure".ok he scored a great goal against Leeds and on tuesday in a game we dominated he did well against Donny but when the game is tight like today he hides and his body language is poor .He seems to blame everyone for the mistakes he makes.I hate him.
    On another unrelated incident has anyone ever seen a more spectacular cross field pass EVER than Dale Stephens overhead kick in the first half?
  • Options
    Just hope CP doesn't spend most of his post match conference praising the oppo like he normally does.
  • Options
    timken said:

I know the team played bad but Cameron Stewart is my new "hate figure".ok he scored a great goal against Leeds and on tuesday in a game we dominated he did well against Donny but when the game is tight like today he hides and his body language is poor .He seems to blame everyone for the mistakes he makes.I hate him.
    On another unrelated incident has anyone ever seen a more spectacular cross field pass EVER than Dale Stephens overhead kick in the first half?

Stewart is a footballer who only wants the meat and chips, and refuses the healthy vegetables. As for doing any of the cooking, or washing up...oh no....he sees himself as much too special for that!
    Got the agree about the cross field pass, never seen the like and it was excellent in every respect.
    Errrm, if Dale goes on a free at the end of the season it will be boarderline criminal.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Awful, truly awful. Summed it up with the 94 minute free kick (where the ref didnt play us the advantage), the ball travels 50 odd yards in the air, right into the 6 yard box and out for a goal kick. Not 1 red shirt made the effort to get on the end of it.
    Maybe someone has told the players there will be no new contracts for some from the new owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the toilets after the game and overheard an Ipswich fan whisper to his mate "Charlton are shit". The truth really really hurts sometimes!
  • Options
    First game seeing us "live" this season apart from Millwall. Jesus christ we were bad. Simple passes werent happening. What has happened to wiggins? Jackson? Even Morrison. I am an optmistic Charlton man to say the least but ive seen better Football in non league this year. Depressing.
  • Options
    Agree re dale, he had a bit of a mare today but him leaving at the end of. Season would be criminal

Lozza Wilson on the other hand.....
  • Options
    Nothing much to add to the above. We were so uninspiring. Wiggins was almost as bad as Wilson.
    If the ref had played advantage in the last minute it probably would have ended 1-1.
  • Options
    Dreadful game. Ipswich content to defend for nearly the whole game after they scored - we didn't have a clue how to break them down.
    Lot of hoofball on display.
  • Options
    Really don't know what to make of a performance so lacking in character and intelligence as that.

Was it a strategic plan by Powell to show the Yanks how much money they need to give him in the January window?

Or were the players voting for a move to the Peninsula by showing how much they dislike the Valley?

Not just bad put perplexingly so...

Even the classy Stephens not at his best. But at least he was the only one trying to play something other than hoofball.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Wilson's not out of contract at the end of the season. He's also had a decent season.

Never understand why some are so negative about him. Squad player that does a decent job. Wouldn't be a regular if Solly was available.
  • Options
    10 wins from 32 Championship home games since promotion, and 6 wins from 24 on a Saturday......

• Options
    Man of the Match today...........Mick McCarthy. He obviously told his team to go at Charlton from the kick-off and score a goal, they'll never come back from that.
  • Options
    A very dispiriting performance. 14 goals in 17 League game tells you all you need to know. We never really looked like getting back in it.

A big improvement is required this week and we do, at least, find it a little easier to play away.

Absolutely vital that we get some kind of result at Yeovil.