Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    We all need cheering up @JT gis a gif :0)
  • Options
    Really don't understand why, having attempted to play hoofball to the biggest bottler in the team 50 times for him to win none of them, we continued to do so for a further 50 times. Stewart just isn't big enough and isn't willing to get involved in 50/50s so why continue to? He is a great player in other areas but defense and strength are huge flaws in his game.

Alnwick played well and is very good cover for Hamer.

A lot of players had slightly frustrating games but had their heart in the right place.

The team is so much better with Yann in it. He has the best playmaking eye in the team by a mile.
  • Options
    Aren't wingers supposed to cross the ball?
  • Options
    Utterly dire performance. Ipswich fast out of the traps. What the hell was the defence doing for the first 5 minutes ? Total absence of leadership and marking. Great stops by Alnwick before the goal. Goalkeepers performance was the only real bright spot of the day for me. Hamer will have difficulty getting back in if Alnwick keeps on performing as well as that.

Ipswich scored and that was that. Charlton could have played until Christmas and not scored. Charlton hoofed, played misplaced pass after misplaced pass and one wrong decision after another. Ipswich did not have anything to do apart from harry, and keep shape.

At the moment, we are dependent on finding 3 worse teams in the division not to get relegated. It will be a close run thing as it stands.

The home games against the Massives (Dec 29), Barnsley (Jan 11), Bournemouth (Jan 25), and Birmingham (Feb 8) are going to be vital to get some points. I hoping that any takeover is completed before then so we can get some decent loans / + in.

• Options

Can anyone remember a home game where we failed to create a single chance?

Today was shit, but you can't rewrite history and pretend we didn't have chances because it's just not true. Morrisons header that he completely missed right at the end for one.
  • Options
    Very disappointing, especially after what was an encouraging win on tuesday. We had plenty of possession particularly in the 2nd half but did precious little with it. The lack of any cuttting edge is an obvious problem but we also need to stop giving away cheap goals at home. At least the bottom 3 are a bit adrift but at this rate it will touch and go if we can maintain our championship status.
  • Options
    Absolute garbage and i am being kind....

This is our 3rd 0-1 defeat at home and the pattern remains the same...clueless to a tee all of them....if they had no goalkeeper today we still wouldnt have scored....

Sadly Ipswich have fallen into the leeds category, fall down when no-ones around and halt the game....why dont we do the same. I tried to make that point after the leeds game but the usual muppets here shot me down.
  • Options
    Very poor. Lack of urgency and tempo. Second best all over the pitch, despite a typical battling display from Yann. It is games like this when I really start to question all the time and money I spend on Charlton.
  • Options
    Need to stop accommodating players. JJ is only but a central midfielder. He hasn't got the legs to play wide left, he has to sit on the bench and wait for his opportunity this then will mwan Cousin's and Stephens will be at the top of their game. Sorry Pigott is not a saviour and such pressure should not be put on young shoulders as we will end up ruinung them. This takeover thing has meant we were unable to bring bodies in. Hope all is resolved come January and we have managed a few wins under our belt.
  • Options
    Certainly couldn't say we lacked effort. Not a bad quality game. We have all seen Charlton lose in a lot worse circumstances. As Scoham has pointed out, this is where we are at- relatively low budget team faitly regularly coming up against better outfits.

Fine margins too. I'm pretty sure stewart would have scored when he was through one on one. That was a criminal decision by the ref to pull play back. Very smart through ball too from sordell? Dervite too made a great run to the near post at a corner second half. Ball went long to morrison at the back post and nothing came of it. Dervite was free and i fancy he would have scored from a shorter corner.

Ifs and maybes, but more controversially perhaps big question mark over kermorgant for me. One player who hasn't shone for a while, who CP and others keep faith with, but I think is the player I would most like to 'upgraded'/ dropped for an incoming new arrival. Often see him berating others and not seeing improvement in his game or fitness for a long period now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought the atmosphere was decent enough all things considered and great turnout by the hips witch

As for the game junk , Alnwick and Cousins the only bright stars in a dismal showing bereft of ideas and personality.

0% Top half ........ 65% 13th-21st ....... 35% League one again FFS
  • Options
    Kermorgant is fed up at Charlton
  • Options
    Agree WIWALB JJ can only play centre mid, at present he doesn't derserve to play there , so he should be benched, end of. Some four and a half hours later, I am furious with that today, players and manager both were poor. The only time Powell took his hands out his pockets all day was when he clapped the fans at the end, I want more proactivity and passion.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Kermorgant is fed up at Charlton

He looks well fed
  • Options
    I don't think it was all bad by any means. We were pretty abject first half, lazy long balls forward. Second half we absolutely dominated them - Powell did his half time job well, came out playing through midfield - but we didn't have the guile to get behind them, and the few times we did we didn't get the cross in. Kermorgant won just about everything in the air, we won few second balls.

I think perhaps we also didn't have the legs. The Donny game was billed as a must-win, and the players really put it in. Three games in a week - might see a few changes for Reading I think.

They're both imposters, triumph and disaster, as the man said. Let's not get too carried away. In the big picture, Powell is working with a worse squad than the one we all thought was short last year. We're going to be nearer the bottom this year, but there are three clubs worse than us at least. And we have one of the best managers in the league in my view.
  • Options

Certainly couldn't say we lacked effort. Not a bad quality game. We have all seen Charlton lose in a lot worse circumstances. As Scoham has pointed out, this is where we are at- relatively low budget team faitly regularly coming up against better outfits.

Fine margins too. I'm pretty sure stewart would have scored when he was through one on one. That was a criminal decision by the ref to pull play back. Very smart through ball too from sordell? Dervite too made a great run to the near post at a corner second half. Ball went long to morrison at the back post and nothing came of it. Dervite was free and i fancy he would have scored from a shorter corner.

Ifs and maybes, but more controversially perhaps big question mark over kermorgant for me. One player who hasn't shone for a while, who CP and others keep faith with, but I think is the player I would most like to 'upgraded'/ dropped for an incoming new arrival. Often see him berating others and not seeing improvement in his game or fitness for a long period now.

Surely we have to cut Yann a bit of slack at this stage in his return to the side after injury ?

Not in doubt that he's still short of match fitness but another game or two and I'll bet he's back to his best.

I see a frustrated player who knows he's still below par - one who sets high standards for both himself & others....something I'm afraid I have in common with him. Just need to keep the faith in him IMHO.

But then, I'm the one that praised Rhoys and Dorian tonight, so what do I know ?

:-)

• Options
    RobRob
    edited November 2013
    This is what I got from the game from listening to it on Player.

The first 5 minutes we were calamitous. I couldn't see it but I can imagine what it was like. I remember the commentary saying that Morrison hoofed it and I remember thinking why didn't he try to play it. Of course his hoof ball came straight back down our throats and, loe and behold, after a series of corners they got the goal. I could just feel that coming.

For the remaining 85 minutes we seemed to have plenty of the ball with a few promising moments but what really stuck out for me was that we never tested their goalkeeper. Now, that is a worry.

From what I could hear, the subs never really worked. In fact it sounded to me like we had more threat up to the Green/Piggot substitution and then it just seemed to all fizzle out. The desire seemed to go out of the team for the final ten minutes.

I just get the feeling that the Morrison/Dervite combination doesn't really work. Maybe it was a shame that Wood didn't start as I felt he and Morrison were playing well together before Wood's injury.

All in all I think Mick McCarthy out coached CP today and I think that shows Chris's niavity. I also think that was similar to the Leeds game. Where it matters most, and quite frankly that is scoring the goals, I just think that's not a strong part of Chris's management ability. Maybe he's learning.

All in all a very disappointing day. We seem to be taking 1 step forward and 1 and a half steps back at the moment. And what I'm a bit worried about is I'm still not 100% sure if that is down to the fact that we just don't have the players or whether it's the simple fact that the tactical coaching decisions aren't all that they should be. I really hope it's the former as I want Chris to succeed with us.

Let's see what he can do with a bit of money once the new owners take over which I'm pretty confident will happen shortly.

Onwards and upwards then.
  • Options
    Mad Mick is as an astute a manager as there is at this level and has more resources at his disposal than Chris.

Chris is shuffling his pack for all it is worth and hopefully there will be 3 worse teams come May.
  • Options

Thought the atmosphere was decent enough all things considered and great turnout by the hips witch

I thought so too. I wonder what happens to that lot at their home games, as they have the quietest home crowd I've heard at this level.
  • Options
    I just think this game highlights the lack of depth in the squad, we miss danny haynes (even if he was injured for half of the season) and players like recardo fuller who could create something out of nothing. I would have loved to see Harriott play but the reason he was not a sub today I have a feeling was because of attitude problems which would not surprise m. Nice to have Danny Green back but I miss scott wagstaff and danny haynes who we could really do with right now . . .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw that Ric scored again today ...such a pity we couldn't hold onto him.

Also , looking at other match reports just now indicated to me the benefits of taking fresh players on loan before the window closed last Thursday.

3 incoming players, praised by the Yeovil manager following their home win against the Hoops, is just one example of quite a few instances of this.

How SCP would have loved to be a member of that managerial club.
  • Options
    Praise for Cousins. Never hides, always wants the ball. Can't believe he's 18 and has less than 20 games under his belt. I predict great things for the lad.

As for the rest. Stephens did ok, the rest were average at best. JJ can't hack it on the left and can't displace Stephens or Cousins in the middle. As a consequence we are unbalanced. Don't know what the answer is and I don't get paid to know it but CP does. Alnwick looked solid, the rest of the defence shaky. No attacking threat. Reinforcements desperately needed in Jan or we could go down.
  • Options

No real spark in anyone's performance today but thought Dervite & Wiggins were our best players

Have to say Fanny but if I hadn't have seen you with my own mince pies I would have thought that you actually were not there today.

• Options

No real spark in anyone's performance today but thought Dervite & Wiggins were our best players

Have to say Fanny but if I hadn't have seen you with my own mince pies I would have thought that you actually were not there today.

Specsavers, Large ?

• Options

Also , looking at other match reports just now indicated to me the benefits of taking fresh players on loan before the window closed last Thursday.

3 incoming players, praised by the Yeovil manager following their home win against the Hoops, is just one example of quite a few instances of this

You on your third bottle tonight Fanny? Firstly Wiggy/Dervite getting praise now this. Yeovil were away at Watford whilst Donny Rovers beat the Hoops.

• Options

3 incoming players, praised by the Yeovil manager following their home win against the Hoops, is just one example of quite a few instances of this

You on your third bottle tonight Fanny? Firstly Wiggy/Dervite getting praise now this. Yeovil were away at Watford whilst Donny Rovers beat the Hoops.

Just testing your concentration levels, Large ... :-)

When you get as old as me, you'll be happy naming 2 other teams in our division, let alone remember who they were playing !

• Options
    One of the worst performances I've ever seen.
  • Options

Really? It's not even the worst performance this season in my book.
  • Options

Noooooo. We can and have been far worse.

• Options
    Oh god I've seen worse under Firmani, Foley, Nelson, Lawrence, Gritt/Curbishley, Curbushley, Pardew, Parkinson and even Powell . This was not the worst