Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Oh god I've seen worse under Firmani, Foley, Nelson, Lawrence, Gritt/Curbishley, Curbushley, Pardew, Parkinson and even Powell . This was not the worst

But not Dowie or Reed?
    ;-)
  • Options
    Am I the only person who thought the we didn't really play *that* much differently to how we played on Tuesday?
  • Options
    Jacko is our leader he makes us a team but unfortunately he can't play in two man midfield. So we play him wide not an answer but if we have to play two up (which I think is correct) he has to play wide left. Our whole set up is wrong kerm and church don't work they are one paced and easy to defend. Green comes from being loaned out to coming on. people moan of sordell but I would rather him on the turn he can beat a man the others can't. Our biggest outlet is our left back that says it all about the team.
  • Options
    I must say I have seen us play significantly worse this season and have less of a deal made out of it.

I even thought the standard of play from us was much lower on Tuesday, with the ball spending most of the time in the stands as it was kicked out by both teams through unforced errors like they were doing it for fun. The only difference is that Doncaster were that bit worse than us.

I actually think our play today was possibly even a slight improvement on Tuesday with some of the link up play etc, but the scoreline says it all for most of us and no one can be blamed for that!
  • Options
    Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment isn't it?
  • Options

I'm sorry, but until we go 4-4-2 with Harriott & Stewart as the wingers then we are going to continue to struggle.

LOL you mean like we did against Leeds and lost 4-2?
  • Options
    I'm not a regular at The Valley and I feel that some of the despondency comes from the number of poor results at home. I didn't think it was all bad. We looked comfortable throughout and had plenty of the ball. It was a typical tight Championship game. Our mistake was to start so badly and give away a goal. If we had weathered the early storm, it might have been a different game.

All credit to Ipswich, they showed us how we will need to play to survive this season as they offered little up front but were well drilled.

We generally look competent throughout the side but there is no spark. Whether you blame the midfield for not creating chances or the strikers for not causing more danger, it's hard to say - probably a bit of both. Maybe, it was the people sitting around me, but the relentless and mainly unfair criticism of Church became tiresome. I thought Kermorgant was off the pace and added to our lack of firepower, to be honest.

Alnwick could hardly have done more, which was good to see. I am not sure that Dervite and Morrison work well together. The backs worked tirelessly getting up and down the pitch, but sometimes didn't deliver. Cousins looks like a diamond while Stephens was shackled by close marking. Stewart and Jackson were in and out of the game - Stewart, particularly, looked as though he would do something that would turn the game but never really did.

There's enough there to stay up, I would think, but only just. We need to grind out results like Ipswich clearly can.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Can anyone remember a home game where we failed to create a single chance?

Today was shit, but you can't rewrite history and pretend we didn't have chances because it's just not true. Morrisons header that he completely missed right at the end for one.
    And Stephens' glancing header in the 1st half that went just wide with the goalie beaten. But that's about all.
  • Options
    On the plus side we actually improved our position against Millwall today.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Off_it said:

Today was shit, but you can't rewrite history and pretend we didn't have chances because it's just not true. Morrisons header that he completely missed right at the end for one.
    And Stephens' glancing header in the 1st half that went just wide with the goalie beaten. But that's about all.
    Not forgetting Wiggins shot that the keeper pushed onto the post, Stewarts shot that the keeper saved, Lawrie Wilsons cross/shot, Piggotts cross/shot, Stephens shot over.......plenty of good chances and some just lacking the quality to turn into goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People keep harping on about wingers well Stewart doesn't have the pace to go outside somebody, which is why I think he gets played on the opposite wing, this disappoints me, wingers need to have the confidence to go on the outside Stewart doesn't.
  • Options
    Jacko is stronger in centre mid.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Off_it said:

No. Wiggins shot in the first half, Stewart had a couple on target in the second half and there were others. The stats don't lie on that sort of thing.

It was pretty pony, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse.
  • Options
    Anyone know why the cover for the match day programme was made of rough cardboard like paper ?

• Options
    edited December 2013

Anyone know why the cover for the match day programme was made of rough cardboard like paper

coz we haven't got any money and we ran out of Xerox paper.........
  • Options
    It was a retro look.
  • Options

The only time Powell took his hands out his pockets all day was when he clapped the fans at the end, I want more proactivity and passion.

That is worrying, if true. I sit too far away really to see. The only time I sat right behind the dugout this season was in the mickey mouse cup game v Oxford, and Powell was very animated and passionate, waving his arms about and shouting instructions and encouragement at the players incessantly.

What NSS describes is so far a way from what I saw that night in a far less important game that one wonders what has happened to alter his demeanour so dramatically?

• Options

Anyone know why the cover for the match day programme was made of rough cardboard like paper ?

Was evidently intended to make it different, although in fact the 1992 cover on which the artwork was based was printed on gloss.
  • Options
    Did anyone else leave with neck-ache,watching the ball being lofted/lobbed/clipped/chipped/mis-controlled all afternoon?Why do we not keep the ball on the ground and run at the opposition?Is it that we're not good enough?What changes between the passing game away from home and the dire nonsense we play in front of our home fans?
  • Options

Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment isn't it?

Takeover wise , or footballing wise?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Was evidently intended to make it different, although in fact the 1992 cover on which the artwork was based was printed on gloss.
    Yeah I thought it was gloss back on the day but wasn't certain and obviously completely hammered that day
  • Options
    I sit in West Upper (with my blanket and thermos obviously) and NSS' description of CP is only partially true. CP isn't a Di Canio in terms of passion and arm flailing, but nor is he statuesque either.

Personally I'd like to see more outward passion from him, particularly when we're utter shit as we were yesterday.
  • Options
    It looked as though CP and JJ had a bit of a disagreement at one point...
  • Options
    Did anyone else leave with neck-ache,watching the ball being lofted/lobbed/clipped/chipped/mis-controlled all afternoon?Why do we not keep the ball on the ground and run at the opposition?Is it that we're not good enough?What changes between the passing game away from home and the dire nonsense we play in front of our home fans?
    Yep! And I was on the balcony of the top floor of Valiant House!

• Options
    LenGlover said:

It looked as though CP and JJ had a bit of a disagreement at one point...

Yes, they did. I was very close to the dugout and could not work out what it was about. Jackson looked unhappy at the outcome.
  • Options
    This was as inept as it gets there is nothing in the final third at all. We could still be playing now and not scored. What a waste of a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    On Saturday we saw a very good manager in action. He came to watch us on Tuesday, and arrived as Baldrick would say with a cunning plan, bully us into conceding an early goal and then sit back and watch us huff and puff. Worked brilliantly. With our last corner and final chance of a point, on comes marvellous Marvin, for me it should have been Richard Wood who would have at least have attacked the ball. Joe Piggott fires a cross across the face of the goal, not a red shirt in sight. Dreadful performance.
  • Options
    I'm not as despondent as most on here. Yes, we lost and yes it wasn't our finest game but to me this was down to good opposition management from Big Mick and individual errors from our own players rather than any systematic problem. Far too many times we worked ourselves into a decent position only to make a stupid error and the move falls apart. Can't say that Ipswich really showed us up in terms of effort or quality but they started quickly, got the early goal and we failed to break them down. In fact, I was just reading the match report on Sky Sports News and this really sums it up for me:
    Ipswich stood firm as Charlton wasted countless good positions with poor passes and poor decisions
    Positives for me were Alnwick in goal and the growing midfield partnership of Stephens and Cousins. Negatives were JJ on the left (SCP swore he'd never play him there again), Stewart on the right (go past your man FFS, don't just stop and wait for Wilson) and Dervite and Wiggins (sorry Fanny but they were rubbish on the day). Wiggins overhit almost every ball he attempted to pass or cross and Dervite just had a shocker with miskicks, bad decisions and general play.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I'm not as despondent as most on here. Yes, we lost and yes it wasn't our finest game but to me this was down to good opposition management from Big Mick and individual errors from our own players rather than any systematic problem. Far too many times we worked ourselves into a decent position only to make a stupid error and the move falls apart. Can't say that Ipswich really showed us up in terms of effort or quality but they started quickly, got the early goal and we failed to break them down. In fact, I was just reading the match report on Sky Sports News and this really sums it up for me:

Ipswich stood firm as Charlton wasted countless good positions with poor passes and poor decisions
    Positives for me were Alnwick in goal and the growing midfield partnership of Stephens and Cousins. Negatives were JJ on the left (SCP swore he'd never play him there again), Stewart on the right (go past your man FFS, don't just stop and wait for Wilson) and Dervite and Wiggins (sorry Fanny but they were rubbish on the day). Wiggins overhit almost every ball he attempted to pass or cross and Dervite just had a shocker with miskicks, bad decisions and general play.

I think that matches with my views more or less. I guess I would be less harsh on Wiggins as he didn't hide and tried to keep putting a bit of pressure on Ipswich. My concerns were JJ, Dervite and, to be honest, Kermorgant, who was frankly bottled up.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    We need more pace up front, a player that can beat defenders and better delivery. Our delivery can be very laboured at times and we make the wrong choice more times than we make the right ones –Having said that, we don’t have enough players anticipating and getting themselves into dangerous positions.

When we finally did get through - the ref did for us - very basic reffing error but Stewart would probably have missed the one on one anyway!

I would have kept Church on and brought Sordell on for Wilson as my first sub - then Green on for JJ.