Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out (Like or LOL)

Comments

• Options
    Absolute clowns
  • Options

Henry - as I've said before, I would love CP to be the man to take us forward as that would be a fairytale. But what we have seen and continue to see each week does not constitute progression. Everybody has their own opinion of when enough is enough, and yes I now have both feet over that line. What I am asking is, all the people with 100% support, where is that line for you? When does your confidence in the man start to wain? 5 more defeats? 10 more defeats? relagation at end of season? How long do we have to stagnate for before you want to see a change?
    I would love for us to get 7 points. Do you think that is realistically achievable? also, that would still only give us 25 points and would still be relegation form.
    we spoke earlier on this thread about the investment levels of similar clubs and you pointed out that Donny have invested (Macheda loan) and others at other clubs.
    I would highlight to you that we have Stewart on loan from a PL club and Sordell (an Eng U21 player) on loan, that is also some investment. Im sure these 2 players most cost equal or greater than Donnys fee for Macheda.

As I said to someone the other day. Do you not think the board are asking themselves these questions? If they wanted rid of him they would have done it by now regardless off 100% banners and sentimentality
    To sack him now would mean they are thinking passed the next few weeks or months. They clearly are not.
    Have you heard ANYTHING from them regarding events on the pitch in recent months?

• Options
    edited December 2013

With what SCP has done for us as a manager** , 101 pts pissing League One and 9th place finish in the Championship last year (which was a miracle, even I called that wrong) is where he has earnt himself breathing space.
    So on that basis and the fact he hasn't been properly backed since the League One squad was established I believe he has until January 2015 to see where we're at

**and if it was Phil Parkinson-Neil Warnock-Iain Dowie- TerryFuctardCharltonfan-whoever had achieved what SCP has as our manager , that is the time I would give them

I respect the fact that you wish to give CP that time and also that you would support any manager in the same position likewise. My point would be that n. Do you not then feel that your support over all that time was wasted? As we would be in the exact same position we were in when CP took over.

Very little benefit achieving something today if you undo it all tomorrow. Why not try to change things now in the hope that the promotion and record points haul isn't for nothing.
    or we could have been taken over by new owners in Jan 2014 SCP gets backed and we're sitting on the verge of the premiership now in JAN 2015
    or Holloway has come in and by JAN 2015, we may have been relegated, lost half our squad and in mid table of league 1 playing catchup after a 10pt deduction due to entering administration

the reason i don't agree with change now is i don't believe we can get Curbs or Warnock to come to us and give us a lift or anyone that would... we'd end up bringing in someone no better than what we have and more than likely worse
    it's the 'tools' hes working with that need changing and sharpening up and without a change of ownership thats not gonna happen i dont think , even SCP can't make wine from this pissy water
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Which doesn't necessarily mean 93 per cent think he's doing a grand job, of course.

A considerable section of that 93 per cent may simply have taken the pragmatic view that it would almost certainly be worse under someone else in the present circumstances of instability and financial neglect.

If new owners came in with money and ambition and were prepared to pay top dollar for a world-class manager whom they promised to back with multi-million signings in January, I might feel very differently.

But that's not where we are currently at, is it?

@danhughes99 This post sums it up for me but instead of keeping on wanting to know the ins and outs of a cats a*se behind peoples reasoning, why don't you offer up an alternative solution if you want him gone yesterday assuming you have some funds to part with and then the 93% might be prepared to change their minds.
    Im not here to offer alternatives and fund people being sacked. I have been sacked and would not wish it on anybody!!

This is not a board room where we debate what we are going to do though. This is a forum where people with different opinions can come and discuss said opinions.
    That's all I'm interested in. Our opinions differ, I respect that. I like to think I have explained by stand point and reasoning, all I'm after is others reasoning as to their opinion. A kind of healthy debate on a differing point of view, as opposed to an I'm right your wrong mentality.

After all My opinion and your opinion actually count for nothing!!
  • Options
    http://www.lyricsbox.com/tommy-roe-lyrics-dizzy-xxjkhdz.html
    Dizzy, I'm so dizzy my head is spinning
    Like a whirlpool it never ends
    And it's You Dan makin' it spin
    You're making me dizzy
  • Options

With what SCP has done for us as a manager** , 101 pts pissing League One and 9th place finish in the Championship last year (which was a miracle, even I called that wrong) is where he has earnt himself breathing space.
    So on that basis and the fact he hasn't been properly backed since the League One squad was established I believe he has until January 2015 to see where we're at

**and if it was Phil Parkinson-Neil Warnock-Iain Dowie- TerryFuctardCharltonfan-whoever had achieved what SCP has as our manager , that is the time I would give them

I respect the fact that you wish to give CP that time and also that you would support any manager in the same position likewise. My point would be that n. Do you not then feel that your support over all that time was wasted? As we would be in the exact same position we were in when CP took over.

Very little benefit achieving something today if you undo it all tomorrow. Why not try to change things now in the hope that the promotion and record points haul isn't for nothing.
    or we could have been taken over by new owners in Jan 2014 SCP gets backed and we're sitting on the verge of the premiership now in JAN 2015
    or Holloway has come in and by JAN 2015, we may have been relegated, lost half our squad and in mid table of league 1 playing catchup after a 10pt deduction due to entering administration

the reason i don't agree with change now is i don't believe we can get Curbs or Warnock to come to us and give us a lift or anyone that would... we'd end up bringing in someone no better than what we have and more than likely worse
    it's the 'tools' hes working with that need changing and sharpening up and without a change of ownership thats not gonna happen i dont think , even SCP can't make wine from this pissy water
    God I love your first scenario over mine.

That's a fair point. so, changing 'tools' is dependant on a take over. Can I ask, do you see us staying up this year without a take over?
  • Options

Why do you think Bolton let Sordell go to a rival?
    Do you really see us as a rival to Bolton? Or do you believe they really see us as a rival?
    as you used Donny as an example what has Dickov actually done?
    He has got 2 more home wins than CP has with us. Plus Donny are above us.
    Yet you suggest that Dickov would be a better option than Powell. Why?
    I don't recall ever saying this!

I hope they manage to sell soon too, but as time goes by and bid after bid falls by the way side, its looking less and less likely it will be anytime soon.
    Henry, you also didn't answer my question. Where is your line? When will you start to question your support of CP?

You listed dickov as someone who'd done a better job than Powell. And in the league table so far he has inherited a successful, newly promoted side and been able to spend to add new strikers.

I don't accept the basis of the question "where is your line?" You have already made up your mind and are now looking for examples from other clubs to "prove" yourself right so for you there is no line. Same with me.

The problem is and remains the lack of funding at all levels and areas of the club. And I and a few others have been saying that there is a problem we needed to be concerned about since the summer before last. This is not to defend Powell as I don't think he needs to be defended now any more than when he got the team to finish 9th last season.
    You imply that I went into this season against CP. that's not right!
    I have made my mind up after a points return of 7 from 21 and only 18 from 20 games. As I have stated before, that is relegation form. Now I don't wish for our team to be relegated and as I am not seeing any change in form evident as we make the same mistakes week in week out, that is why I would like to see us change.

So your telling me that if were
    -bottom by new year - your 100% behind Powell
    - were relegated in march - your 100% behind Powell
    - we lose the first 15 games in league 1 next season - your 100% behind Powell

I refuse to believe that. There comes a time were even the most avid of followers lose faith in the powers that be. So to say you don't have a line in rubbish.

It seems a lot of people look at this subjectively, but it is a decision that must be made objectively. On facts and not opinions.
    But you are basing your statements on your opinions, not facts. The "facts" are the that we are currently 4th from bottom in the Championship with 18 points.

Your subjective opinion is that that is not good enough given the resources available to him. That is fine but it is your subjective opinion not a fact.

Others' subjective opinion is that given the resources available to him that is good enough. That is also fine and is also their subjective opinion not fact.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

You're making me dizzy

Why are you 'dizzy'? is the concept of debate on different opinions to much for you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RedChaser said:

Which doesn't necessarily mean 93 per cent think he's doing a grand job, of course.

A considerable section of that 93 per cent may simply have taken the pragmatic view that it would almost certainly be worse under someone else in the present circumstances of instability and financial neglect.

If new owners came in with money and ambition and were prepared to pay top dollar for a world-class manager whom they promised to back with multi-million signings in January, I might feel very differently.

But that's not where we are currently at, is it?

@danhughes99 This post sums it up for me but instead of keeping on wanting to know the ins and outs of a cats a*se behind peoples reasoning, why don't you offer up an alternative solution if you want him gone yesterday assuming you have some funds to part with and then the 93% might be prepared to change their minds.
    Im not here to offer alternatives and fund people being sacked. I have been sacked and would not wish it on anybody!!

This is not a board room where we debate what we are going to do though. This is a forum where people with different opinions can come and discuss said opinions.
    That's all I'm interested in. Our opinions differ, I respect that. I like to think I have explained by stand point and reasoning, all I'm after is others reasoning as to their opinion. A kind of healthy debate on a differing point of view, as opposed to an I'm right your wrong mentality.

After all My opinion and your opinion actually count for nothing!!
    Jesus, if you're saying you want the manager out and you're asking people to respect your opinion then surely it's not too much to ask that you also suggest someone who you think should replace him?!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

RedChaser said:

You're making me dizzy

Why are you 'dizzy'? is the concept of debate on different opinions to much for you?
    What's to debate see my earlier post. You won't change my thinking and you are clearly not prepared to accept that the vast majority of posters on this thread do not want to part with CP at this juncture, so you carry on going round and round in circles with your crusade, I'm out.
    Edit: By the way if you think I am one of the CL 'in crowd' toeing the line you are way off beam, I'm just a long suffering fan of 50 years + perfectly capable of having a decent debate if there is a debate to be had!
  • Options

I have no tipping point when it comes to Powell. However long he stays in charge, he'll get my support. As with Curbs, when he was here. We had some crap seasons and plenty of them, but then we had some absolutely magic ones. Powell has given us one already and i'm sure given another 10+ years there will be more. At our level it's a waiting game. There is no divine right to success. Spurs have spent £100m+ pre-season and today sack their manager.

Get real anyone who thinks we are better than we are. We're officially an ordinary hard-up club with a very small pot to piss in.

i'd love our owners to think feck it, it's only money and throw in another £30m in January, but if it's their own money, i don't blame them if they don't.

Powell is as good as we are going to get. Nobody wants him to go. Everybody wants him to be given money to strengthen the current squad. When he does (however long that takes) i think he'll get us going in the right direction again.

100% for me and lol.

So if we had 5 years of back to back relegations, your telling me your support wouldn't waiver?

I don't believe we are any better than our current league position dictates, but I would like us to strive to 'over-achieve' as we did last year, it is possible.

I wouldn't agree with your statement that nobody wants him to go! that is not true and the reason we are on page 6 of a debate about it.

As for 'lolling at others opinions. Grow up. Who are you to laugh at me for thinking something different to you.

• Options

dan, i dont agree with what you are saying but you at least give a better argument that most of the Powell out brigade, although there is plenty of 'whats if's'.

however, there has yet to be a sensible alternative and some people suggestions that a fresh approach might bring better results is a huge gamble.

we are in a battle and theres no better man to be in trenches with than chris powell. he cares and thats exactly what we need in our current predicament.

I appreciate your point and thanks for respecting mine.

The point that a fresh approach may not work, is a gamble, but one I would take as for me its equally a gamble to continue along the path we are on.

I have to agree with you that in a backs to the wall in the trenches scenario Powell is a great man to stand shoulder to shoulder with. My concern is that I don't feel he has the knowledge or experience for the fight. Kind of like fighting Darth Vader with a spatula.

How about maybe somebody with that experience coming in to aide Powell with the fight. In a 'director of football' role if you will. But somebody who has been in the fight and came out winning. That can help/teach Powell what we need short term whilst possibly benefitting us long term by making him a better manager/coach.

We are all looking at this as CP or A.N.Other. All of CP's coaching staff are fairly inexperienced, a small addition to this team could help.
  • Options

God I love your first scenario over mine.

That's a fair point. so, changing 'tools' is dependant on a take over. Can I ask, do you see us staying up this year without a take over?
    i think we have a 40% chance of staying up if we stay as we are with SCP in charge

with a new manager (that's in our price range) i'd make us a 20% chance of staying up
  • Options
    Dan, i think that would be a great idea, however we don't have the money to bring in another forward, yet alone another senior member of coaching/managerial staff.
  • Options

dan, i dont agree with what you are saying but you at least give a better argument that most of the Powell out brigade, although there is plenty of 'whats if's'.

however, there has yet to be a sensible alternative and some people suggestions that a fresh approach might bring better results is a huge gamble.

we are in a battle and theres no better man to be in trenches with than chris powell. he cares and thats exactly what we need in our current predicament.

I appreciate your point and thanks for respecting mine.

The point that a fresh approach may not work, is a gamble, but one I would take as for me its equally a gamble to continue along the path we are on.

I have to agree with you that in a backs to the wall in the trenches scenario Powell is a great man to stand shoulder to shoulder with. My concern is that I don't feel he has the knowledge or experience for the fight. Kind of like fighting Darth Vader with a spatula.

How about maybe somebody with that experience coming in to aide Powell with the fight. In a 'director of football' role if you will. But somebody who has been in the fight and came out winning. That can help/teach Powell what we need short term whilst possibly benefitting us long term by making him a better manager/coach.

We are all looking at this as CP or A.N.Other. All of CP's coaching staff are fairly inexperienced, a small addition to this team could help.

Someone like Keith Peacock you mean : - )
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Afka, Oohahh, ValleyGary, Henry

Thanks for listening to my points and expressing yours. Its nice to have a debate and not a row. As I stated earlier ultimately all our opinions count for nothing and I just hope the people whose opinions do count can make the right call, whatever that be.
    Heres hoping for some modicum of success soon!!

Redchaser,
    I think you have missed my point. Im not on a crusade or interested in changing anybodys opinion. Everybody can keep there opinion, but surely the whole point of a forum is to discuss it not have a paddy and stamp your feet when somebody doesn't agree with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Very good post by afka.

But I have some sympathy with Dan's frustration and demand for improvement, even though I don't think he's being realistic. Like Dan I am sick to death of our crap football. And it has been crap for years now under the last five managers with only the odd good day outside of the promotion year from div three offering much relief.

Last season I thought we were being sold really piss poor entertainment at The Valley and had pretty much decided to end my season early. Then we went on a decent little run to push ourselves into the top half and hope was rekindled.

This season it has been as bad as ever again. The reasons for that are pretty self-evident. But I still think it is right that some supporters should come away from the ground at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon feeling it's not good enough and demanding something has to be done. Personally I don't feel like that - and I'm actually a little bit ashamed that I've grown so bloody reasonable and modest and realistic in my expectations (and if you say 'for realistic read apathetic' I won't argue). Football should be about passion and Dan has it in spades. The terrible thing is I don't feel very passionate at the moment. Just resigned and fed up and accepting of crap and the reasons for it.

My support for the manager is not unconditional. But I think my only condition at present is 'could someone else do any better?' The answer I come up with is 'no'.

And that's the saddest thing of all. I wish I could answer 'yes' and feel hope that a new manager might improve our position and the quality of the football. At the moment there is no line to be drawn anywhere for me, because whoever is the manager it's going to go on like this until the club is sold and someone takes control with the desire to move CAFC forward.

Of course they will need money, too. But the desire is at least as important as the financial resources, and the current owners have no desire other than to get their money back and never have to set their sat navs for the mean streets of SE7 ever again.

ps on edit; I remember feeling passionately that Pardew had to be sacked and being convinced not just that someone else but anyone else could do a better job. Instead we got someone who then made things far worse. It is possible that my 'support' for Powell is strongly influenced by fear of the horrible apparition of Parky's ghost...
  • Options
    Smudge could you please deduct the last lol
    i just wanted to see the list of lols and its added me on there
  • Options
    Just click on it again.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Just click on it again.

I did that once. And the result was that three days later John Lewis delivered not one but two fridge-frezers to my door!!!

• Options
    clb74 said:

so the vote is rigged !!! .. the Klique Kommisars are at it !!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

clb74 said:

so the vote is rigged !!! .. the Klique Kommisars are at it !!!!
    Let's wait and see. When the commisars tells us later on this evening that Powell's support has risen from 93 to 103 per cent, you might have a point! ( I think it was Lee Kuan Yew who once won an election in Singapore on an officially declared turnout of 117 per cent? And that was down on the state broadcaster's exit poll which had originally claimed 123 per cent support!!!)
  • Options
    ^^^^^ hahahaha .. only 117% ?? .. I blame the abacus (do the Chinese use one o' them?)
  • Options

Afka, Oohahh, ValleyGary, Henry

Thanks for listening to my points and expressing yours. Its nice to have a debate and not a row. As I stated earlier ultimately all our opinions count for nothing and I just hope the people whose opinions do count can make the right call, whatever that be.
    Heres hoping for some modicum of success soon!!

Redchaser,
    I think you have missed my point. Im not on a crusade or interested in changing anybodys opinion. Everybody can keep there opinion, but surely the whole point of a forum is to discuss it not have a paddy and stamp your feet when somebody doesn't agree with it.

I don't do Paddies and feet stamping, far too old for that sort of thing but I do tell it how I see it. I haven't missed your point at all I know exactly where you are coming from but you lose all credibility with your points of view to my mind when you cannot offer up an alternative. And only well into the debate have you suggested a more senior man alongside CP. Therefore we'll have to agree to disagree on CP's position for the time being.
  • Options
    Im sorry I don't have all the answers for you. The option of a more senior man occurred to me during the discussion I was having with somebody else.

Im not in a position to understand our clubs finances and short-mid term goals and therefore cannot offer up an alternative. Besides its not my job too.

Which of my points of view cause me to lose credibility?
  • Options

The option of a more senior man occurred to me during the discussion I was having with somebody else.

As I said Keith Peacock. Years and years of experience, coaches the players, watches the games from the directors box.