Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out (Like or LOL)

Comments

• Options
    To become an exprienced manager you always need a first time of going through this sort of situation. Surely?
  • Options

To become an exprienced manager you always need a first time of going through this sort of situation. Surely?

He had the in the first half a season when he joined.
  • Options

94% behind CP??!! maybe you should ask a bigger section of support than your mates!

At best its maybe 60/40 and I think that's waining.

Can somebody please tell me why there is this support?

And don't go using the board as a kop out, others have achieved more and other clubs with a lot less.

How do you get "at best it is 60\40?

You have just guessed\made that up but the people voting here say 94%. There are something like 6000 members on here so not sure why the "just your mates" comment? Is it that you just don't agree with the majority so feel you have to dismiss everyone else?

Have you own opinion, sure, but don't pretend that it is anything more than just your opinion.

If you believe in what you say then it doesn't matter if 1% or 100% agree.
    6,000 on here you say? 110 have shown their support. I make that more like 1.8% rather than 90 odd.
    I guess numbers not your strong point?
  • Options
    So only 10 want Powell out and 115 want Powell to stay!

I can officially announce the overall verdict is that the fans of Charlton Athletic want Chris Powell to stay!

I'm pleased we have got that sorted!
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think Chris will walk before he is sacked. He loves charlton and I am sure it must be killing him to see us where we are.

Unless he gets support in the transfer window which at the moment is unlikely I think he will move on.

We will then lose a great manager who I reckon like someone mentioned at the start of the thread, will be another Martinez.
  • Options

Yeah that's right, let him learn his trade at Charlton, then when he starts getting it right, someone further up the leagues comes in for him and good old Charlton have been fucked over again.

Another point; what if CP does walk before he's pushed, that'll leave us in an even worse position than if its done on the Clubs terms. As someone said further up the thread, some thing has gotta give, I'd prefer Charlton, as a club, to come out of it the best way possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rikofold said:

I am a big supporter's of CP and am willing him to succeed. He obviously hasn't been allowed to strengthen the squad as he had wished. However I do believe the the current group of players should be doing a lot better than they are and that they are not is down to CP and his coaching staff. I thought he got the starting line up wrong today. Kermy drops too deep to play the up top role and I don't think the answer to not scoring goals is to play one striker. We need to stick to 4-4-2 and stop tinkering. And although changes were needed, and too late in my opinion, I thought subbing Green was unwise and not needed. If our owners had any money I'm sure CP would have gone by now. He's clinging on because they can't afford to dispense with his services.

But if the owners had any money we'd still have Fuller, Haynes and Obika rather than Church and Sordell. Think how many points difference some finishing would have made.

Yesterday summer it up for me. We played the team with the third best form in Europe, and more than matched them. They got a lucky break, we threw everything we had at them but what we had - what Powell has - isn't enough.

The one time he's spent anything like a transfer budget we smashed 13 records on the way to the title. That's why we want to keep hold of him - the potential in a chairman backing him is immense.

But thats because we bought the title, Man City of League 1
  • Options
    Tbqh @AFKABartram, I don't know the answer to all of them questions pal, but do I really need to know the answer to them to have the opinion I have? The way I see it is something should change, and if it aint the board, then the next port if call is the manager imo.

Just like to make it clear, if there was a take over and funds were made available, I think CP should be kept to at least the end of the season to see what changes were made. (Regardless of relegation).

• Options
    MattD said:

rikofold said:

I am a big supporter's of CP and am willing him to succeed. He obviously hasn't been allowed to strengthen the squad as he had wished. However I do believe the the current group of players should be doing a lot better than they are and that they are not is down to CP and his coaching staff. I thought he got the starting line up wrong today. Kermy drops too deep to play the up top role and I don't think the answer to not scoring goals is to play one striker. We need to stick to 4-4-2 and stop tinkering. And although changes were needed, and too late in my opinion, I thought subbing Green was unwise and not needed. If our owners had any money I'm sure CP would have gone by now. He's clinging on because they can't afford to dispense with his services.

But if the owners had any money we'd still have Fuller, Haynes and Obika rather than Church and Sordell. Think how many points difference some finishing would have made.

Yesterday summer it up for me. We played the team with the third best form in Europe, and more than matched them. They got a lucky break, we threw everything we had at them but what we had - what Powell has - isn't enough.

The one time he's spent anything like a transfer budget we smashed 13 records on the way to the title. That's why we want to keep hold of him - the potential in a chairman backing him is immense.
    But thats because we bought the title, Man City of League 1

We had the 5th highest budget in the division. Hardly buying the title.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Another point; what if CP does walk before he's pushed, that'll leave us in an even worse position than if its done on the Clubs terms. As someone said further up the thread, some thing has gotta give, I'd prefer Charlton, as a club, to come out of it the best way possible.
    How'd you work that out Rob?

He gets sacked and they have to pay out some compensation. He walks and it costs them nothing financially.
    Which ,I'm afraid ,is all that these bandit owners seem to be interested in. The decision to spend as little money as possible on 'their' football club was made some time ago. They are not even making any attempts to imply that everything is green in the garden.
    They really don't care for the club,it's staff, or support. Losing the services of Chris Powell will not improve this dire situation.

• Options
    edited December 2013

BIG_ROB said:

He gets sacked and they have to pay out some compensation. He walks and it costs them nothing financially.
    Which ,I'm afraid ,is all that these bandit owners seem to be interested in. The decision to spend as little money as possible on 'their' football club was made some time ago.
    Looking at how bad we are with a manager, I shudder to think what would happen with no one at the helm pal. I can see it being a mutual consent thing meself
  • Options
    So far we have had plenty of people saying Powell out and only one name to replace him, Steve Clarke. Someone please point me in the direction of cloud cuckoo land please.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Which ,I'm afraid ,is all that these bandit owners seem to be interested in. The decision to spend as little money as possible on 'their' football club was made some time ago.
    Looking at how bad we are with a manager, I shudder to think what would happen with no one at the helm pal. I can see it being a mutual consent thing meself
    There is only one decision the owners will be making in the immediate future as I can see.
    Absolutely Nothing to do with Powell. Nothing to do with new contracts or player transfers.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

I further understand that CAFC will only just about stay within the current FFP debt requirements this season thus narrowly avoiding a FFP fine.

So I will be most grateful to learn how the manager has not been supported by the board.

If no reasonable explanation is forthcoming I can only deduce that the responsibility for the current under performance must lie with the player management and not the Board???

Not true.

We are nowhere near the FFP limits.

There is £5m equity that the owners could put in this season under FFP. They have put in £0 in equity this season.

Their money so they can choose to spend it or not but they can't blame FFP even thought they (Slater and Joyes) both tried in programme articles.

So having had a reasonable explanation as you requested your arguement that it can ONLY be the management doesn't stand.
  • Options
    Not gonna copy and paste AFKA's post but you only need to look at Palace to see the difference a new manager can make with the same bunch of players. New training ideas, better tactics, better motivation etc etc can make a big difference. Even Chamakh has three in four games now. As for who would take it on? There are plenty out there who would give it a go, people out of work, wanting to earn a wage, wanting to either get back in management or start out in management. I'm not advocating a change but CP needs to buck up his ideas in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not gonna copy and paste AFKA's post but you only need to look at Palace to see the difference a new manager can make with the same bunch of players. New training ideas, better tactics, better motivation etc etc can make a big difference. Even Chamakh has three in four games now. As for who would take it on? There are plenty out there who would give it a go, people out of work, wanting to earn a wage, wanting to either get back in management or start out in management. I'm not advocating a change but CP needs to buck up his ideas in my opinion.

And you have faith in Jimenez and slater to get that man?

• Options
    Sheffield Wednesday sacked their manager and look how the same players who were playing crap are now getting results so sometimes it can be the manager changing gets results
  • Options

playing Piggott against Millwall did it for me.

So because he played piggot against Millwall it means he doesn't have a clue? Your a fucking idiot! If you saw Piggot in the reserves last season you would have given him a go but I'm guessing you didn't see him? Clueless twat!
    As always, the debate on here is interesting as it is fuelled by peoples' opinions. Yes, every now and again you get the kind of abusive/childlike response highlighted above, but in the main it all generally brightens the weekend up. That's just it though, it's opinions! God forbid we all agree, what a drag that would be. No one is right, no one is wrong, so, bearing that in mind, some posters (I said posters, not posers) should be a little more tolerant of others, IN MY OPINION! (Oops, damned opinions!).

So, what about the manager then? Who knows what would happen if he went? Who knows what would happen if he stays? But, here's the thing, if the fear is that Charlton will get relegated if he stays what has the club got to lose by bringing in someone with fresh ideas and who may inject a bit of dynamism? Yes, I have heard it all before about who, money etc but I am sure there would be a willing option out there somewhere, IF that is what's required. At the moment though the TEAM is on a slippery slope toward relegation (and then what?).

So, what have we got to lose? As a man, Chris Powell is a genuine diamond (he spent more time with my young son when he was mascot at Norwich a good few years ago than any other player), but, for the good of the club, is it time to try and inject some fresh impetus?

And remember, it's just an OPINION!

• Options
    As we have no money maybe the board are going to let his contract expire so they don't have to pay out.
  • Options

playing Piggott against Millwall did it for me.

So because he played piggot against Millwall it means he doesn't have a clue? Your a fucking idiot! If you saw Piggot in the reserves last season you would have given him a go but I'm guessing you didn't see him? Clueless twat!
    As always, the debate on here is interesting as it is fuelled by peoples' opinions. Yes, every now and again you get the kind of abusive/childlike response highlighted above, but in the main it all generally brightens the weekend up. That's just it though, it's opinions! God forbid we all agree, what a drag that would be. No one is right, no one is wrong, so, bearing that in mind, some posters (I said posters, not posers) should be a little more tolerant of others, IN MY OPINION! (Oops, damned opinions!).

So, what about the manager then? Who knows what would happen if he went? Who knows what would happen if he stays? But, here's the thing, if the fear is that Charlton will get relegated if he stays what has the club got to lose by bringing in someone with fresh ideas and who may inject a bit of dynamism? Yes, I have heard it all before about who, money etc but I am sure there would be a willing option out there somewhere, IF that is what's required. At the moment though the TEAM is on a slippery slope toward relegation (and then what?).

So, what have we got to lose? As a man, Chris Powell is a genuine diamond (he spent more time with my young son when he was mascot at Norwich a good few years ago than any other player), but, for the good of the club, is it time to try and inject some fresh?

And remember, it's just an OPINION!

Best post of the thread IN MY OPINION! ; )
  • Options
    Change of manager/coach at Derby leads to the last 6 wins on the trot. What does this tell us. No good saying we were the better team if the game ends in defeat.
  • Options

This thread is an example of the views of the modern football supporter encapsulated nicely. We have a manager who is doing the very best he can, albeit he's not perfect and makes mistakes, like we all do in our jobs. Yet some feel that there must be an (unspecified) better option out there based on nothing but emotion it seems.

He's had zero support from his employers in the transfer market for what three(?) transfer windows and despite his best efforts the limitations of our squad is finally showing on the pitch and in our league position.

Anyone who expected anything other than a struggle this year back on 31st August was being completely unrealistic and so it is proving. It would be an interesting exercise to go back and compare the various threads predicting our finishing positions with those now calling for a change of manager. I suspect that for the vast majority we are where we expected to be and few, if any, were calling for CP to be replaced in August.

So what's changed? Nothing in my view, we were up against in before the season started and we were always up against it. The one and only thing Powelly had going for him back then was a hard working, honest bunch of players giving their best for him and from what I can see that's still the same.

Let's us, the fans, not now lose our bottle and get on his back at the very time he needs our the most.

Modern football supporter? The game has always been a results business and managers, and players, have always got the pump.
  • Options
    CP is the best manager we have had since Curbs left. Garymanilow sums it up for me.