Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out (Like or LOL)

Comments

• Options
    IF Pritchard wasn't playing upfront, then who was ?? INo-one !! If that is the case then CP should walk on the basis of dereliction of duty. Not playing a striker (as well as leaving 2 of them on the bench) is criminal & is the main reason why we didn't score. Just ask a Hammers fan if its been successful this season .

btw - Kermy is not an out-and-out striker and likes to play deeper so as to flick on the ball - if there is no-one ahead of him then its a dead loss - and that is what happened mostly today,

the more I read these posts the more I want CP to go. Shocking team selection today and if that all the coaching team can come up with during a weeks work then gawd help us.
  • Options
    I think he should stay.

Listening to him on bbc london after the match I got the impression he was fed up and might walk. Hes had no support from the board and i think they are the ones who should go
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hex said:

BIG_ROB said:

I don't comment on player performance's because I live in France (you brought it up!), but as a manager is generally judged on the results I feel I can have an opinion from a far (France). Also you get a good idea of his tactics etc just from match reports, what can't speak can't lie. CP out from me too

Sorry but you are fooling yourself if that's all you have to back up your comments.

I'm in the Powell's not perfect camp but to get rid of him now when the most obvious problem to be solved is ownership is stupid. Solve THAT problem first as you may well find out that Powell isn't the problem you think he is. Also, even if we get rich owners next week, getting in the necessary resources in January may just not be possible. I'm afraid we just have to sit back and enjoy the bumpy ride for a while yet.
    Oh okay, I'll do just that pal. Let me know when we can start flapping
  • Options

We need new ideas soon - the players are not responding to him .

Even as a supporter of him, I understand some of the frustrations and criticism, but this I just don't get Andy. Ive admittedly not seen every game, but I've yet to come away from a game in the last weeks feeling the players weren't putting it in, going through the motions, that there was a clear disharmony. Breaking this lack of goals issue is clearly a major problem, but the effort and unity is clearly there In my opinion.
    I meant they weren't responding - not that they weren't united as a group of players - I think the Xmas and New Year fixtures will sort it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well one way or t'other, something's got to give over the next few weeks
  • Options
    Powell will always be a Charlton hero for me. However no-one is bigger than the club and I accept that some of Powell's decisions and tactics are questionable. Personally, if we could get a Pulis or a Warnock type figure to keep us up then I would respect the owners' decision to sack him.

We've currently got 19 out of 26 senior player contracts up in the Summer and there is a risk that a couple of our better players (e.g. Wiggins) could be sold for a knock down price in January . Despite the fact that the team desperately needs some quality additions, there appears to be no money even for loans. Given where we are the most likely replacement for Powell if he was sacked is Alex Dyer, Paul Hart or an external appointment with nothing to lose from taking on an impossible job.

Given this scenario I'd rather stick with Powell. On the whole he's a unifying figure and a force for good in the club. Whether he'll continue to stick with us though is debatable.
  • Options

I am a big supporter of CP and am willing him to succeed. He obviously hasn't been allowed to strengthen the squad as he had wished. However I do believe the the current group of players should be doing a lot better than they are and that they are not is down to CP and his coaching staff. I thought he got the starting line up wrong today. Kermy drops too deep to play the up top role and I don't think the answer to not scoring goals is to play one striker. We need to stick to 4-4-2 and stop tinkering. And although changes were needed, and too late in my opinion, I thought subbing Green was unwise and not needed. If our owners had any money I'm sure CP would have gone by now. He's clinging on because they can't afford to dispense with his services.

Interesting you say "much better" - what do you think this squad should/could achieve? For me it's a bottom 5 squad in this league. The midfield hasn't really improved since winning League 1 and we're weaker up front than last season.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

PopIcon said:

BIG_ROB said:

Just a question; IF we were taken over and a few million was made available for CP to spend in Jan, but there was still no improvement, would you think it right to sack the fella then?

If my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle.
    PopIcon said:

BIG_ROB said:

Just a question; IF we were taken over and a few million was made available for CP to spend in Jan, but there was still no improvement, would you think it right to sack the fella then?

Typical
    That may have been a "Typical" response mate, but I did reply in a more serious way! I genuinely would be ready to show him the door, and probably print his P45 off myself - but it hasn't happened and I don't think it would work out that way anyway; with a bit of cash he's a good spender.
    I was talking to PopIcon pal
    Just scrolled up and you posted your initial question after my post, and nowhere did you direct that question at PopIcon.

With all due respect mate, but if you're only going to respond to someone who doesn't respond to you seriously then it shows you've got nothing of substance to say surely?
  • Options
    Today was woeful , it was like we believed and knew we couldn't beat Derby because player for player they were better than us , and the only way we could beat them was too keep things tight , and try and nick a sneaky goal.

Playing negatively from the off is a recipe for disaster in my book , if we had gone for it from the start, we might have won , we might have got tonked , at least we would have gone down fighting , rather than with a whimper.

1-0 down we had nothing to lose , and threw caution to the wind , and got punished almost immediately.

I didn't think Derby were a great team , but i do think they will be in the top come the end of the season.

I know he was dubbed the wally with the brolley , but to outthink and out tactic Steve Mcclaren is going to be hard going , and we'd have needed 8 and 9 performances all over the pitch to have beaten them.

The players need to regroup , and Chris Powell has to do his homework on the opposition , and take the game to our opponents rather than the other way , i think if we can do this confidence will increase and so will results improve on the pitch , keep the faith Charlton board , back not sack.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I am a big supporter of CP and am willing him to succeed. He obviously hasn't been allowed to strengthen the squad as he had wished. However I do believe the the current group of players should be doing a lot better than they are and that they are not is down to CP and his coaching staff. I thought he got the starting line up wrong today. Kermy drops too deep to play the up top role and I don't think the answer to not scoring goals is to play one striker. We need to stick to 4-4-2 and stop tinkering. And although changes were needed, and too late in my opinion, I thought subbing Green was unwise and not needed. If our owners had any money I'm sure CP would have gone by now. He's clinging on because they can't afford to dispense with his services.

Interesting you say "much better" - what do you think this squad should/could achieve? For me it's a bottom 5 squad in this league. The midfield hasn't really improved since winning League 1 and we're weaker up front than last season.
    I didn't though. I said 'a lot' better. I think we should be just below mid table. Not great but better. We have had plenty of seasons recently without a goalscorer but a lot of the midfield have chipped in. That isn't happening now. We are not enough attack minded. We are under performing at the moment in my opinion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

PopIcon said:

BIG_ROB said:

PopIcon said:

BIG_ROB said:

Typical
    That may have been a "Typical" response mate, but I did reply in a more serious way! I genuinely would be ready to show him the door, and probably print his P45 off myself - but it hasn't happened and I don't think it would work out that way anyway; with a bit of cash he's a good spender.
    I was talking to PopIcon pal
    Just scrolled up and you posted your initial question after my post, and nowhere did you direct that question at PopIcon.

With all due respect mate, but if you're only going to respond to someone who doesn't respond to you seriously then it shows you've got nothing of substance to say surely?
    I'm just stating an opinion ffs, not too bothered who responds or not. Whether you think what I say has got any substance or not is just your opinion and you're welcome to it.
  • Options
    Time to go. Sorry
  • Options
    Reading the comments here on this thread is very interesting and gives a good insight into the different views. I really hope the club find the funds to strengthen the squad up front to ensure we start winning again.

• Options
    94% behind CP??!! maybe you should ask a bigger section of support than your mates!

At best its maybe 60/40 and I think that's waining.

Can somebody please tell me why there is this support?

And don't go using the board as a kop out, others have achieved more and other clubs with a lot less.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

94% behind CP??!! maybe you should ask a bigger section of support than your mates!

And don't go using the board as a kop out, others have achieved more and other clubs with a lot less.

I personally think Dan has a point here. CL is a Chris Powell love in somewhat, always has been and rightly so, Charlton legend and nice fella...BUT if you polled everyone who walked out of the Valley this afternoon at full time I think 60/40 for SCP would be generous.
  • Options
    Steve Clarke anyone?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I personally think Dan has a point here. CL is a Chris Powell love in somewhat, always has been and rightly so, Charlton legend and nice fella...BUT if you polled everyone who walked out of the Valley this afternoon at full time I think 60/40 for SCP would be generous.
    Still would not have been truly reflective many of them went when the second goal went in on 87 mins :-(
  • Options
    If powell is guilty and culpable then so are the board

And as for others have achieved with less

Name them
  • Options
    CP with abit of dosh will do alright. Possibly losing the plot out of frustration, using players and tactics randomly in recent games.
  • Options
    playing Piggott against Millwall did it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    RedChaser said:

Still would not have been truly reflective many of them went when the second goal went in :-(
    Point taken Red (not the team that is...)
  • Options
    Plenty of people singing CP's name in the ground today as well
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Soapy- Thinking back to the atmosphere just before Ian Dowie, Les Reed, Alan Pardew and Phil Parkinson got sacked, I don't think we're yet in that situation. The formation and tactics you could argue about but the spirit and effort were there today.Yes I agree we could have played for a week without scoring but personally I think that's down to a lack of quality and investment not Powell. More 80/20 than 60/40 and if not powell- who?
  • Options
    Get real you fucking idiots calling Powell out! Look at the resources he's had! He has been in charge two full seasons and he has finished as champions and then 9th in the championship! He has had no backing from the board over the summer hense why we did not pay money for any player!! Give the guy a chance ffs
  • Options
    edited December 2013

RedChaser said:

Still would not have been truly reflective many of them went when the second goal went in :-(
    Point taken Red (not the team that is...)
    More's the pity mate, more's the pity, they weren't that special and even Mclaren said we made life difficult for them and was relieved to get their noses in front.
  • Options
    If and it's a big IF we get 3 points at Bolton it will be great and ease a few peoples worries. Derby were the in form team! Take that perspective too it's not an excuse but confidence is key and built upon from previous results.

Rush of blood to the head after every defeat gets annoying but after a while the fear is valid. The team just has to turn it around and they have plenty of time to do that.
  • Options

Soapy- Thinking back to the atmosphere just before Ian Dowie, Les Reed, Alan Pardew and Phil Parkinson got sacked, I don't think we're yet in that situation. The formation and tactics you could argue about but the spirit and effort were there today.Yes I agree we could have played for a week without scoring but personally I think that's down to a lack of quality and investment not Powell. More 80/20 than 60/40 and if not powell- who?

Can't answer that question Mick. Are you saying that for every 10 people you could survey coming out of the ground only 2 of them would be wanting SCP to bugger off, I admire your optimism. Football supporters are a fickle bunch are they not?