Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out (Like or LOL)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Pulis is also on a million pound bonus to keep them up. That must be a motivating factor for him. I'm not sure what we'd be able to offer. But again we are making comparisons which aren't realistic or fair. We have no money to attract players or to pay for a new management team. The likes of Pulis, Warnock and Holloway will not step foot near SE7 with the current state of the club.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Can someone from the Powell love-in camp PLEASE explain his tactics today. Pritchard playing as the lone striker......??? what was that all about. Yes CP has done brilliantly over the last 3 years - got us promoted out of League 1and kept us up last season without spending hardly any money. However, its times like these that cream rises to the top, and today shows that CP has lost the plot.

Powell Out - Like.

Derby play 4-1-4-1, with three central midfielders. Pritchard was the third central midfielder up against John Eustace who sits in front of the B4, with the remit to support Kermorgant the lone CF.
    When Derby had the ball, we had to stop them playing out of the defensive third, which was a key to their 5-1 against Blackpool, which we did for half-hour using 5 across midfield, until the deflected goal. At the time of the goal, they had resorted to playing long balls up to Chris Martin, who was falling over to try and win free kicks, with no short passing combination play through midfield whatsoever. Goals change matches.

IMO, the main issue was the team selection. Pritchard isn't good enough to play that role. Kermorgant isn't good enough to play as lone CF at Championship level and Green hasn't the pace to play right midfield at this level. Church would have caused more problems running in behind, with Stephens in behind to provide the service. (see preview thread).

IMO he got the initial tactics right, but was too slow to change the personnel. ( whats wrong with half- time ?).

When you choose your tactics, you have to take into account how the opposition are set up, you can't go in with 2 v 3 in Cent Mid unless you have 2 top class players.

I can see the benefits of a change of manager, but he will need proper backing to change the personnel, unless he has a magic wand,. Otherwise there is no point. I'm more concerned that Cousins may be sold during the window, to allow the owners to recoup some dough.

Great post. I too would have swapped Pritchard and Stephens over, if Jackson was around he would probably have played there.

But I think you're asking a manager to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, frankly. I don't think he expected there to be no money to improve his League One squad, let alone tear the quality away from last year's.

I think Kermorgant is good enough to lead the line if only the players would use him properly. He's not mobile in the way, say, Darren Bent was, but he is a brilliant link player if he's allowed to bring it down.

Cousins is making a huge difference in our midfield, and it's releasing Stephens to play his better football. Stewart certainly adds something, although he had a mediocre game yesterday, but beyond that it's really Jackson or nothing. Gower's not worked out, Pritchard's in poor form, and on the flanks you have a choice between the still-developing Harriott or the frankly inadequate Danny Green.

We do need a bit of luck in a game though. Conceding a deflected goal from a free kick that shouldn't have been when we've been dominating. Sigh.

As for your final point, if you're prepared to back a new manager why wouldn't you back Powell? The only time he's had the wherewithal to go get players to really improve the squad he produced a record smashing season. We can't dwell on the past, but that my friends is a fact.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

94% behind CP??!! maybe you should ask a bigger section of support than your mates!

At best its maybe 60/40 and I think that's waining.

Can somebody please tell me why there is this support?

And don't go using the board as a kop out, others have achieved more and other clubs with a lot less.

How do you get "at best it is 60\40?

You have just guessed\made that up but the people voting here say 94%. There are something like 6000 members on here so not sure why the "just your mates" comment? Is it that you just don't agree with the majority so feel you have to dismiss everyone else?

Have you own opinion, sure, but don't pretend that it is anything more than just your opinion.

If you believe in what you say then it doesn't matter if 1% or 100% agree.
    6,000 on here you say? 110 have shown their support. I make that more like 1.8% rather than 90 odd.
    I guess numbers not your strong point?
    But as we know from our own 14k+ votes, the protest vote gets people off their seats. If there's such a groundswell for change, you'd expect more of our 6000 than 11 to have clicked 'Like' for Powell out. That's 0.18%, as you like numbers, and the important thing in the sample is surely the ratio. At the moment, only 7% of those who have expressed a preference want a change. If that's the protest vote, I'd say it's quite substantially the vocal minority.
  • Options
    Pullis has had an impact at Palace and may keep them up.

But why not look at Poyet at Sunderland. He had a similar impact when he joined, even beat Man City but they are rock bottom and in danger of being cut adrift.

Different clubs, differnt circumstances, different boards, different finances.

It what is happening at Charlton and our circumstances that matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Popularity, tradition and histrory don't win games.

Judge him by results, team selection and set up, tic tacs during the game, team comaraderie (sic) and the ability to attract players.

Some of this is within his control and some is not. Is he doing what is within his control well ?

For me I think it varies quite a lot, game to game. Managerial inexperience plays a part in this.

IMO a 3 out of 5, trying quite hard but could do better.
  • Options
    I can't see how anyone can separate the call to change the manager without the slightest idea of who could replace him. I know a lot of the mob posting on loony tunes think that it's a non-question. But seriously, even if we all hated CP and he was sacked we'd be fairly pissed off if no alternative was ready to replace him. FWIW I think he's doing as well as anybody else we could have hoped to have attracted at our current (and recent) level.
  • Options
    Why was Chris Powell ever appointed Charlton Manager? Was it a heart ruling the head decision or did the Board think it was a clever way of bringing back supporters who'd drifted away?

I'd hate to see an Addicks Legend humiliated by being sacked. Anyone else...boot 'em out if they don't deliver.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I couldn't friggin care if Derby played 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or even 6-3-1..........to start a home game with Pritchard in a role that he is totally unsuitable for is just plain wrong - just like playing JJ there instead would have also been a mistake. Pritchard has pace but no composure if front of goal and is too lightweight to boot. JJ is probably our best finisher but hasn't got the pace to play off a "target man".

Just out of interest , I wonder when some people would call for a change ?? If against Sheff W CP decides to play Dervite up front instead ?? or dispenses with Kermy and packs 6 across the middle ??

I know this wont happen but just saying. yesterday for me was the thin end of the wedge. I really don't care what other teams do - why not let them worry about us for a change ?? What would McLaren have done if we had gone with Yann, Church & Sordell and gone for it ???
  • Options

What would McLaren have done if we had gone with Yann, Church & Sordell and gone for it ???

Picked us off just like he did on Saturday when we DID go with Yann, Church and Sordell up front on Saturday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    SID said:

Does anyone on here really think they are more tactically astute than someone who has spent his youth and entire adult life so far playing and coaching in professional football?
    Get a grip ffs.

I won the double in 1998 on Championship Manager! ;-)
  • Options
    SCP is the man. I would give him at 5 year contract tomorrow to end this crap.

There is not a better manager than Chris for our club unless you can persuade Sir Alex to come out of retirement. Even he may have to sign a striker though!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Pointless thread.

If Powell goes it won't be because the current owners want somebody better. They don't care. It will be because he does a Holloway. And if he does his detractors will have no cause to celebrate because we won't get a Tony Pulis character. We will get Dyer as a poor man's Parky. And god knows, the original article was quite destitute enough for my tastes.

No idea what is going to happen to our club over the next 12 months. But I'd lay money things are about to get a whole lot worse before they get any better.
  • Options

Pointless thread.

If Powell goes it won't be because the current owners want somebody better. They don't care. It will be because he does a Holloway. And if he does his detractors will have no cause to celebrate because we won't get a Tony Pulis character. We will get a poor man's Parky. And god knows, the original article was quite destitute enough for my tastes.

No idea what is going to happen to our club over the next 12 months. But I'd lay money things are about to get a whole lot worse before they get any better.

Well on that note, I'm off to slit me wrists and go a bed. Night

; )
  • Options
    Salt that's how I'm seeing it at the mo IA
  • Options
    Personally, I think that if Powell left, so would Dyer. I think the loyalty is strong throughout the management team and through to the playing squad and I think they are all united in their contempt unhappiness with the Mysterons. I think there's more a chance they'll be united in walking out to make a clear statement. But I don't think we're at the stage just yet where Powell will walk of his own accord, nor the stage where the Mysterons can will fire anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Agreed. If one goes all will go in my opinion. They are a team and also close friends and if sacked then MS and TJ will want a totally clean sweep and if Powell walks it will only be after deep discussion and soul searching with Dyer.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Personally, I think that if Powell left, so would Dyer. I think the loyalty is strong throughout the management team and through to the playing squad and I think they are all united in their contempt unhappiness with the Mysterons. I think there's more a chance they'll be united in walking out to make a clear statement. But I don't think we're at the stage just yet where Powell will walk of his own accord, nor the stage where the Mysterons can will fire anyone.

Haven't heard "Mysterons" in a while !
  • Options
    And if Dyer walked with Powell we would probably get dear old Keith Peacock as a caretaker again. The want-away owners certainly won't be spending any money on a quality replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    11 Likes to 154 lol's . That's a vote of confidence if i ever saw one. Oh dear.

100%
  • Options

11 Likes to 154 lol's . That's a vote of confidence if i saw one. Oh dear.

100%

Pmsl
  • Options

And my point is Rob and others that I don't see replacing a manager who hasn't lost the dressing room will improve that.

Did things improve when we replaced Curbs with Dowie, with Dowie with Read, with Pardew with Parky ?

Bar the first, Each one was a cheaper option. We have owners that.might not be here next month with the possibility a new owner will want to bring in his own man.

Who any good is going to find that appealing?

We could not sign any players until a couple of rejects just before the start of the season, and weren't even able to bring in a single player on loan a couple of weeks ago despite shipping a few out.

Who any good is going to find that appealing?

Do you really feel that with this new man in charge Simon Church will all of a sudden start finishing one on ones, or we'll stop conceding deflected goals ?

This squad struggled last season, yet its togetherness was amazing and saw us finish in a much inflated 9th position.

Since then he has lost his couple of key strikers that gave the opposition something to think about (Fuller and Haynes), his best player through injury (Solly) and his second best player (Jackson) who contributed vital goals from midfield. We have also had some appalling luck.

This is currently a basket case of a club and whatever happens over the next few months we are going to look totally different next season. If things stay as they are, then that is likely to be in League One.

But let's be clear, until Cash and Jiminez have sold, there will only be the absolute bare minimum laid out on this club, so bare that in mind when trying to find your new manager who is asked to take on a dispirited squad for 2 or 3 months, and then either be out the low paid job, or have a relegation on your cv ?

Can't you see that ?

Top post of 2013, AFKA.

Nothing more to say.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Said this yesterday. I can see NO way that Alex or Damian would take on the Caretaker Manager/manager role if the gaffer was sacked. Far too much loyalty within the management team for that to happen.

So, you guys who think we should bring in "someone" else to apparently do a better job, where does that leave us ?

• Options

And if Dyer walked with Powell we would probably get dear old Keith Peacock as a caretaker again. The want-away owners certainly won't be spending any money on a quality replacement.

Do you honestly think Keith would take on the poisoned chalice that SCP had been relieved of ?

• Options
    No point in changing the manager because as AFKA said the club is a basket case. Mind you how anyone can say with certainty that CP hasn't lost the dressing room is frankly a mystery unless they are in there and listening to whats being said.

• Options
    I'd give CP 3 more games, he doesn't deserve to be sacked but the club is more important. Great player and man but we have to at least try something different in the new year if he can't turn it around.
  • Options

I'd give CP 3 more games, he doesn't deserve to be sacked but the club is more important. Great player and man but we have to at least try something different in the new year if he can't turn it around.

The trouble is what is the alternative when there is no money. Paul Hart ? No thanks
  • Options

Do you honestly think Keith would take on the poisoned chalice that SCP had been relieved of ?

There is no way Powell will be relieved of anything in my view, Fanny. I said the only way Powell will leave is if he decides he's had enough and walks.

Some folk seem to believe that if Powell were to resign he would persuade Dyer and the rest of the coaching staff to join him in some mass walk-out. Don't believe that, either. But in this highly fanciful secenario of Charlton being left with no coaching staff whatsoever, of course KP would answer the call as he has done before.

But it's all hypothetical and therefore rather pointless speculation, isn't it ?