Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton vs. Charlton 2013 | Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    timken said:

Unlikely anyone will come in for solly with the question marks over his long term fitness

Thats why they have medicals. To rid any question marks.
  • Options
    And that's why they wouldn't buy him after a medical!
  • Options
    WSS said:

And that's why they wouldn't buy him after a medical!

It wouldn't stop anyone coming in for him though would it?

That was the original post. Believe it or not clubs managers, scouts and boards might not listen to the rumours on this forum that solly is damaged goods and may try to buy him.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Latimer said:

In all my years of playing and watching football I have yet to witness a professional club win every game, by a three goal margin and every player gets 10/10 week in week out.

Board out.....what if they just walked away without a buyer where would we be

Powell out.... What if he too walked without a replacement, thankfully he knows our club and is magnificently managing despite the constraints of little investment over the summer and a thread bare squad. I like others wish we had invested over the summer but this is the reality of the situation. He like all of us isn't beyond criticism.

Why don't we have a collection bucket at every game ( witness that is what is happening at every Kettering home game as they collect £500 each month to pay off the CVA!) raise sum money to buy some players.

Yesterday was a very good point given the recent backdrop of results. OK so Church, Stewart and Wilson didn't provide crosses and goals galore, Stephens and Cousins didn't boss the midfield all the game! But what I saw yesterday was a group of professionals who worked their socks off, remained organised and committed and at no stage stage did their heads drop or did they start arguing with each other. That is important in our current predicament and I feel sure they are hurting too. And what was most heartening...we had a go at them, we stayed strong defensively and could have nicked it, 1 point gained.

A couple of strengthening loans in January, a 5-7 point return over the next 3 games can make a huge difference, it is just like Charlton to go on an unbeaten run of 6 games on the back of our recent results.

If someone has a spare £20m they'd like to donate or knows of a 20 goal striker kicking his heels, a creative midfielder or a Beckenbauer type defender all going on the cheap....please let us know, even then there would be no guarantees we would be top of the league

We are a darn sight better off than when PP took over from Pardew and he had even less to play with.

I agree with most of these points. Why not start a collection bucket outside the ground for the club. Don't get me wrong, most fans will probably say we already support the club through season/match tickets, programmes, food/drink & items from the club shop. However, we all recognise the plight of our club financially. If we can get 6,000 - 7,000 people giving a pound at every home game, then that's probably one or two players' wages covered for the week. I would be interested to see whether or not the club would support this officially, as I can't imagine it would be great PR for the owners if we had to resort to people taking collections outside the ground.

We need as much publicity as possible to highlight our financial plight, but would it put off potential buyers?

The point about Powell is spot on. There isn't another individual in management at the moment that could add much more with the current squad, nor understands the plight and history of our club. When I went to the back to The Valley dinner earlier this month, Powell said his favourite moment in a Charlton shirt was his last and his goal against Coventry. This sums him up perfectly. If you look back as he approaches the 3 yr mark for the club, it can only be viewed as successful. The remainder of the 10-11 season he inherited some absolute shit from PP, and yes it was a poor run in, but he recognised he needed to change it, and that is exactly what we got in 11-12 (probably my 2nd best season supporting the club). Then as we are quickly finding out, last season was over achievement.

He had to get rid of a few players in the summer, and if we look around that team, we're still playing with a number of players who won us the League 1 title two years ago. We have no money and we have a team that needs an impetus of new talent. So we are between a rock and a hard place. The likes of Jackson gets slower each season, which will impact on his potential to score goals from late runs into the box. Yann is a great player, but he is feeling his way back from injury. Stephens seemed to look like he was coming into his own a bit, but I think we all know the odd decent pass, spectacular shot is too few and far between.

We definitely look better with Wood in the team. And now that Solly is coming back I do believe we'll be stronger down the right hand side for the 2nd half of the season. The lack of goals will continue to be a problem, and I think it's two things. One, that spark in midfield. Two, as suggested above that 20 goal striker. However, they're the ones you pay a premium for, and we don't have a premium.

The one thing I would like to see maybe moving forward, is the combination of Sordell and Kermorgant. Yes, from what we've seen from Sordell he hasn't set the world alight, but I think Kermorgant needs some real pace up alongside him, especially at home games.
  • Options

We should have had a penalty for a hand ball late(ish)in the 2nd 1/2.

I think that was the decision that Powell admitted the ref got right and tbh I agree... His hand was behind his body so cant really say hand to ball
    hand behind body or not, I think that he made -an almost involuntary- move to handle the ball .. there again, I am biased. I was probably nearer the incident than was Powell. There again, he has probably had the advantage of watching the incident 555 times on DVD
  • Options

Shame we don't risk a point to get 3 - surely it would work sometimes? When your in a corner you have to fight to get out of it - cautious coaching filters down to the pitch and makes players nervous. A decent point but.... Could it have been more?

Simple answer, is no .

No forwards on the bench which was lightweight to say the least so basically no options available.

It's about time some people gave SCP credit rather than querying ( in the nicest possible way ?) whether he should have done more . Wasn't it enough that he played 2 up front away from home ?

IMHO, if Sordell had been eligible to play, we might have gained a victory but he wasn't - end of.

With the depth of their squad, and the ability to bring on 3 decent subs inc Beckford , Bolton fans might be bemoaning the fact that they only gained 1 point at home today.

But not those of us who braved the M1/M6 to make the journey to support the lads.

A point well deserved - end of.

I respect your answer - fair enough - if faced with the same v Brighton/Wednesday, I hope he gambles. Just my view as we must climb the table
  • Options
    I think Powell "went for it" Vs Derby and we conceded a 2nd goal - that's the danger - could've turned 1-1 into a 2-1 loss.
  • Options

Shame we don't risk a point to get 3 - surely it would work sometimes?

1 in every 5 games it works unfortunately 3 of them you lose and one stays a draw so overall a net loss of a point

Interesting. What do you base this comment on ?
  • Options

Shame we don't risk a point to get 3 - surely it would work sometimes?

1 in every 5 games it works unfortunately 3 of them you lose and one stays a draw so overall a net loss of a point

Interesting. What do you base this comment on ?
    making it up theory !!

there clearly is no clinical answer cos all circumstances are different and depends who you're up against , as soon as we went for it against Derby game over they went 0-2 up , on another day against someone shittier we'd win but we can't play against ourselves !
  • Options

I think that was the decision that Powell admitted the ref got right and tbh I agree... His hand was behind his body so cant really say hand to ball
    hand behind body or not, I think that he made -an almost involuntary- move to handle the ball .. there again, I am biased. I was probably nearer the incident than was Powell. There again, he has probably had the advantage of watching the incident 555 times on DVD
    I've only seen it second hand, but it looks like one of those decisions that if it's one of yours, it's never ever ever a handball, if it's an oppo player then it's a nailed on offence. Same as Kermo being 'clever' to win fouls and his counterparts being cheating bastards... ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I've only seen it second hand, but it looks like one of those decisions that if it's one of yours, it's never ever ever a handball, if it's an oppo player then it's a nailed on offence. Same as Kermo being 'clever' to win fouls and his counterparts being cheating bastards... ;)

very true .. Incidentally, McNaughton's goal was his first for over 5 years .. oi MaC ..WHY PICK ON US ?? ((:>)