Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    I get the feeling that this guy has got some big idea that nobody yet knows about. A year ago he proposed a merger of the Belgian and Dutch leagues: the new league consisting of 8 Belgian clubs and 12 Dutch clubs. He threatened to quit Standard and go and buy a French club if his proposal was not accepted, his argument being that the Belgian league cannot compete with other leagues in terms of TV revenue.

Perhaps with the recent aquisitions of PSG and Monaco he now feels that he should look elsewhere. So why is he buying smaller clubs from different countries? Perhaps he wants to set up some new cup competition - something fresh, quirky and attractive to TV.

Better for us is that he has given up on Belgium and he wants to get a club in the Premier League, this being a cheap way to do it. He can use his other clubs to give us good loans - a bit like Watford did last season.

I think that this is going to be 'Vivant' (lively) whatever he plans.
  • Options
    just got the reference: did Belgium have a Foreign legion? France did of course, guessing the Belgians did too..
  • Options
    razil said:

just got the reference: did Belgium have a Foreign legion? France did of course, guessing the Belgians did too..

Please refrain from going "off piste" , razil ...

:-)

• Options

Charlton has always been a left wing club but this is ridiculous :)

In fairness T, you think Boris and Dave are tree hugging veggie types... ;-)
  • Options
    There was a Belgian Legion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Legion but not a Foreign one
  • Options

razil said:

Please refrain from going "off pissed" , razil ...

:-)

Fanny!
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I don't believe there'd be any announcement from the club unless it were a "done deal". There's probably some tax advantage to getting it done before year-end.

It's not a "done deal" as the club statement makes clear.

The year end is not relevant to tax as the club's tax year is july to june
  • Options

limeygent said:

I don't believe there'd be any announcement from the club unless it were a "done deal". There's probably some tax advantage to getting it done before year-end.

What about the Belgians tax affairs though ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

limeygent said:

this
  • Options
    I was suggesting that spending money on a new asset would reduce a companies profit in a calendar year, thus reducing their tax liability, nothing to do with Charlton's fiscal year.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Oh no the bloody ACV is mentioned again! That's sure to scupper it!

Noooooooooooo !
  • Options
    Belgian beer at The Valley would be good.
  • Options

Belgian beer at The Valley would be good.

Belgian beer anywhere is good.

• Options
    Hmm he is involved in so many clubs so big investment in players likely?
  • Options
    Club running at a loss. That's what he's bought. Why ? Does he have a plan ? Will he tell us ? Those are my first questions.
  • Options
    Sorry this whole story sounds like bollocks. I would caution you to wait until it's officially announced or we'll end up with sixty more pages of conjecture.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

Sorry this whole story sounds like bollocks. I would caution you to wait until it's officially announced or we'll end up with sixty more pages of conjecture.

It's not done I agree but why is it "bollocks" ?

• Options
    edited December 2013

limeygent said:

The end of the month might be, though. :-)

For those speculating that the leak to the Mail came from the Cash camp, why would they disclose a price that (as above) makes them look a bit silly?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A club win, club statement and a possible takeover all in one week?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR CHARLTON!
  • Options
    Josh is gonna ride back in and complete takeover.....fact
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I was suggesting that spending money on a new asset would reduce a companies profit in a calendar year, thus reducing their tax liability, nothing to do with Charlton's fiscal year.

Only if the buying company's tax year was the same as the calender year which is unusual apart from some retail firms.

Even then I would guess people worth 0.5bn have good tax avoidence advisors
    JWADDICK said:

It's not "bollocks" as the OS has confirmed talks are happening.

That doesn't mean it will get done but not bollocks
  • Options

Josh is gonna ride back in and complete takeover.....fact

Not necessarily him, but that's the one reason Cash and co would want a price out there, as far as I can see. And there is other interest.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Mentioning the bloke's name on the website is a positive sign.
  • Options
    Here's a brief profile on the chap based on what I could glean from Wiki and poorly translated websites - surprising that he only bought the German team this month also;

http://www.castrust.org/2013/12/famous-belgium-latest-name-charlton-take-saga/
  • Options
    By the way, does anyone know how to pronounce 'Duchâtelet'?
  • Options
    Do-shat-el-ay
  • Options
    He shall forever be known in South East London as 'that Belgian bloke'.
  • Options
    The blokes a Waloon