Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    If Charlton got promoted we would be bigger than Standard
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Linking in the ownership of Liege

Roland Duchatelet=Charlton deal duet
  • Options

If Charlton got promoted we would be bigger than Standard

But we would still find it far harder to qualify for Europe.

• Options
    The talk of Charlton being a feeder term is nonsense . Does anyone seriously think the Belgium league is a bigger league than the Championship.
  • Options
    It certainly looks like this could be the real deal. A football man. Obviously doing well with Standard Liege. What's there not to like. Good news when this happens I would say. Then we can all start concentrating on what is happening on the field and not what is happening off it. Nice one Roland.
  • Options
    Belgian football is obviously on the up considering the international teams squad of players. Maybe a scouting system over there we could take part in with the Belgian link, who knows?!
  • Options

The talk of Charlton being a feeder term is nonsense . Does anyone seriously think the Belgium league is a bigger league than the Championship.

No, but the Champions League is.
  • Options
    Yeah rat fans.
  • Options
    So which companies does this open up to us for shirt sponsorship ?
  • Options
    @BBCLondonSport: CAFC fans what do you make of the club saying that negotiations are taking place for Roland Duchâtelet to take over CAFC call 0207 224 2000
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Standard Liege nickname Les Rouches (The Reds)
  • Options
    Would people complain if we got an up and coming Fellaini (Who started his career at Liege) on loan if we were a Feeder club?
  • Options
    Just read that Duchatelet's is also the chairman of Belgian second division side Sint-Truidense, who were relegated from the first division last season.
  • Options
    A middling Premier League club will always make more money then a Belgium club in the Champions League. Suspect the Belgium TV deals are a fraction of those for the Premier League alone
  • Options
    Well one thing's for sure, he won't want his investment to halve in value in 6 months (were we to go down). So job one for him has to be to steady the ship?
  • Options
    I think Henry hit the nail on the head. If this was to go through, and if we made it to the premier league, we would become the udinese side. Non eu players only take 2 years to become Belgian citizens. We (and liege) could scout for the top African, South American and Asian talent, get them to sign for liege and after that we sign them.

Premier league money is top money, I think this guy will be treating us as the real deal after his practise with standard liege and other clubs.
  • Options

Would people complain if we got an up and coming Fellaini (Who started his career at Liege) on loan if we were a Feeder club?

It depends.

If it was just the odd player here and there it wouldn't be a big deal. If Charlton and Standard essentially become the same club, one based in London and one based in Liege, cycling many players from one to the other as per Watford/Udinese then I really wouldn't be up for it - the negatives would outweight the positives for me.

If you want to see what people thought of the Watford/Udinese link up take a look at some of the below - I would hate that to be us - even if we were in the Udinese role.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/56075/watford-sign-7-players
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/53999/watford-placed-under-transfer-embargo-and-former-owner-banned#latest
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1408951#Comment_1408951
    “I would absolutely hate to be a Watford fan”
    “These fans must realise they basically have a bunch of short term players who they probably won't see again after a season or two.”
    “Perhaps that explains their poor atmosphere. Hard to get behind a group of players that aren't a real part of your football club”
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1518837#Comment_1518837
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1300555#Comment_1300555
    “W atford have signed five more Udinese players on loan.

(A total of 10 loanees from Udinese this summer)
    That's just so so silly, would seriously hate it if it happened to charlton.”
  • Options
    The difference between Udinese and Liege is that Udinese are a top Serie A team and will always be more profitable and have higher quality players than Watford, whereas if we were in the Premier League it is more likely that we would send players to Liege than vice versa.
  • Options
    Isn't there a Belgian club mainly made of players from Ivory Coast ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder how many other clubs he sees in his stable?
  • Options
    Still do t get why this guy wants five football clubs. The Udinese / Watford Charlton / Liege one I get but where do Carl Zeiss Jena whom were purchased this month and Ujpest come into the equation. The guy is rich beyond our wildest dreams but not rich enough to have five football teams financed properly with a view to making it big. I assume each of his teams are currently losing money to a total tune of £12 million ?? How does he turn that around ? I don't get it unless there is something else behind it all.
  • Options
    Suspect the costs at Jena are tiny, playing semi pro regional football in Germany.

Liege will cost money, but I suspect the running cost of a Pro League side aren't million miles away from a decent Championship club
  • Options
    north upper next season safe standing under this fella..

• Options
    Rothko said:

A middling Premier League club will always make more money then a Belgium club in the Champions League. Suspect the Belgium TV deals are a fraction of those for the Premier League alone

Didn't think mid to lower table prem teams made much money considering the huge increase in running costs?

• Options
    I think it's incredibly short-sighted of people to assume that we would become the 'Udinese' in any feeder club arrangement, purely because we are the 'bigger' club, or the Premiership is a bigger league than the Belgian league.

Remember we are dealing here with a Belgian owner, who may well be a lifelong fan of Standard - where are his priorities likely to lie? Standard Liege are European regulars, and have been domestic champions many times. They have a higher profile and probably a larger fanbase.

Clearly there is more money in the Premier League than the Belgian League, but who says that's his target? The man is by no means mega-rich in footballing terms, and the current owners have learned the hard way just how much investment is needed to get to the promised land. What's to say his plan isn't just to keep us ticking over in the Championship, finishing 18th-20th every year whilst acting as a feeder/testing ground for Standard?

• Options
    There may be more money in the Premier League than the Belgian League, but is there more profit ? I doubt it.
  • Options
    No one (not noone) has picked up on AB saying that there is other interest.

No idea who that is but I hope we're not going over the same ground we did a few weeks ago when the SLP ran the leaked story of the "british based property developer" and it then turned out it was the American Harris making the running.

Is there other interest and a name, and price, is being leaked (not to the SLP this time) to close a deal quicker or to get a bidding war going?

We shall have to wait and see. Just hope it is sort before the transfer window closes.

"I'll believe it when it is on the OS" : - )