Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• vffvff
    edited December 2013
    shine166 said:

POW
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131228-takeover-talk-1260033.aspx

'The club are happy to confirm that negotiations are taking place for Roland Duchâtelet to take over Charlton Athletic Football Club.

Chairman Michel Slater has confirmed that: "Very constructive discussions are ongoing which we hope to conclude soon.”

A further announcement will be made in due course.'

Sounds positive. Hopefully done and dusted by the time of tomorrows match. Would have preferred Takeover confirmed. Will try to stay off the thread for my sanity until then.
  • Airman has played an important part in our success, much more important than some give him credit for. The club will run better with him back in the fold. Of course keeping Chrissy in charge and signing Wiggins, Kermogant et all on new contracts is extremely important, but one shouldn't be exclusive to the other. CL may have a role to play here - letting the new owner know what Airman has achieved and the benefits he could gain from having him on board.
  • Off_it said:

A good first move from the owners as a sign of intent would be to give Airman his job back. Would be good for the club and popular too.

Thanks - but this isn't and never was about me! There are plenty of good people who have left the club because of the way it has been run over the last 18 months.
    Genuine question Airman, but would you go back if offered, or has too much water/bad blood flowed now?
    Impossible question to answer, without knowing the context, but I don't see it as likely - not because of bad blood but because in the grand scheme of things it's not important.

I do think a new regime needs to remove Prothero and Bradshaw, who are tainted by what has gone on and their role in it.
  • edited December 2013

So not done yet.

Fingers crossed but until it is done 100% it is done 0% despite it being on Sky and in the Mail.

Really hope it happens and that Slater has gone public suggests that he either feels very confident or is trying to play games ala the leak to SLP.

The Harris deal was in the Mail and fell thru' so that it is there doesn't mean much.

Seems a few more loose ends to tie up before it is done so not getting too excited. Yet.

New owners with a proper long term plan willing to make some sensible investment would be more than just a good Xmas present, they could save the Club.

Live. Love, Laugh and Be Happy

I cant see it on Sky (web), I have looked perhaps you could post a link (please)
  • edited December 2013
    I'm willing to guess it's all done and signed as reported online. The club are waiting until tomorrow to announce it officially, giving all followers of CAFC a boost and not just the ones that read online forums.
  • PL54 said:

A good first move from the owners as a sign of intent would be to give Airman his job back. Would be good for the club and popular too.

Good grief

Would he have to give back the "despite my strong beliefs, I'll be quiet" money ?

You think I've been quiet?
  • Airman has played an important part in our success, much more important than some give him credit for.

No disrespect to AB but you don't even know what he was sacked for.
  • Let's hope we have some funds available for January.. Brilliant news

Well I thought it was strange how Powell came out yesterday and said about Funds being made available for January when we couldnt even bring in a loanee before the closure of that window
  • PL54 said:

Good grief

Would he have to give back the "despite my strong beliefs, I'll be quiet" money ?

No, you have been very opinionated
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't sidetrack the thread or big picture please, no more AB related posts on this thread, start another one for that of necessary please, ta
  • PL54 said:

Good grief

Do you think that there will be other (ex) employees coming out of the woodwork with horror stories if this goes through? Or will it simply be water under the bridge and let's all move on? I'd hope for the latter if I am honest but there are certainly some strange tales passed around about Slater and Co. on message boards and in pubs, and if/when they are no longer the boss it might be interesting to hear a bit more directly, as it were.
  • The fact that an official statement is on the Charlton website, surely the wording of the statement would have to have been agreed with the potential new buyers, to avoid the latter being pissed off by the former??
  • edited December 2013
    Yes please let's not get side tracked.

Anyway I'm sure I said on the buried thread that it would happen on New Years Eve.... Not that I had any clue who. I was also told that I would not regret my purchase of Ipswich tickets. And I took that as a sign! So bought them.

• edited December 2013
    Never mind all that stuff. Can we get on with discussing wildly improbable potential signings now?
  • I think the fact that MS has come on the official site to say something says mountains. New owners to be announced on the pitch tomorrow then!
  • Trips to Liege for beer and football and onwards to the other group members. Never been part of a multinational before, was always up the creek, funny how it all turns out.
  • It does look like a done deal and I guess we have to wait to see what transpires next. The comment in The Mail regarding the sell off of key players at Standard Liege is worrying though.

Too soon to say and I hope I am wrong but this has more than a hint of "out if the frying pan and into the fire" about it.
  • Your all forgetting the important questions, can he fix potholes and how tall is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• The new owner runs onto the pitch tomorrow before the game, and kicks a ball into the covered end goal, before milking the applause of a rapturous crowd...
  • I drove through Belgium, on the way back from Ypres back in June, it was closed!
  • Belgium will be a good trip for pre-season friendlies
  • BR

Great news for all us CL lefties but bad news for our resident wing nuts!

God knows what Len Glover will make of it when he finds out Duchalet is a massive fan of the EU and wants to relocate the club to Brussels!

Why?
    Not content with becoming extreme Tories over a decade of economy ruining, do the Labour Party now want to claim they are liberals?
    Pathetic

I don't see him as being a loony Leftie at all. The VLD is a party with origins in Thatcherism and with an idealology of Liberalism, social Liberalism and Conservative Liberalism. He wouldn't be so prudent with his cash if he was a Leftie. He'd put the club in mountains of debt, award himself a huge pay off before sailing off into the sunset, then claim it was all the fault of the new owners.

HaHa!!! Brilliant!
  • Love the fact the OS called Slater by his Belgian name, Michel.

"Yeah Roland we're the same you and me, i'm also from Belgium innit. Can you buy my club now please?"
  • Loco said:

So not done yet.

Fingers crossed but until it is done 100% it is done 0% despite it being on Sky and in the Mail.

Really hope it happens and that Slater has gone public suggests that he either feels very confident or is trying to play games ala the leak to SLP.

The Harris deal was in the Mail and fell thru' so that it is there doesn't mean much.

Seems a few more loose ends to tie up before it is done so not getting too excited. Yet.

New owners with a proper long term plan willing to make some sensible investment would be more than just a good Xmas present, they could save the Club.

Live. Love, Laugh and Be Happy

I cant see it on Sky (web), I have looked perhaps you could post a link (please)
    Not seen it, only read on this thread that Sky are running it. I presume its on the yellow ticker tape bar on SSN and is just a re-hash of the Mail story
  • The new owner runs onto the pitch tomorrow before the game, and kicks a ball into the covered end goal, before milking the applause of a rapturous crowd...

Or runs on the pitch in a Charlton shirt and juggles a football on his head whilst running from one end of the pitch to the other!
  • It's on the paper talk of Sky Sports website
  • Lets all hope that if and when this takeover is completed, that we have seen the last of property developers, carpet baggers and chancer's looking to make a quick buck and return to the days when we were valued not by the worth of the Valley and training ground but by the results on the pitch.
  • edited December 2013
    @daveaddick
    Of course it's part of Charlton fans' DNA to see the possible negatives in what is potentially good news. How good, only time will tell. At worst it's 'out of the fire and into the frying pan'. Without further investment we were facing relegation, administration and the loss of most of our squad and manager in the summer. Fingers crossed this gets sorted quickly, would be a great way to end the year. Hopefully renewed hope and positivity will feed through the fans, players and manager onto the pitch very quickly.