Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• because you can , if you can pick up 4 clubs for the price of 1 big spend then you have 4 times the chance of getting it right,

Or not have the resources to do any of them the justice they deserve ?
  • What, only a millionaire. I am so disappointed!
  • You guys know that Standard / Liege and this guy is french speaking right and not Flemish? :P

How do you know that?
  • At least food will improve, waffles at half time?
  • So the American left because he wouldn't pay the rumoured 40mil, but Cash and co seem to have gone with a 14 mil deal?
    That's a huge difference and sounds like they could have negotiated a better deal whilst two interests were doing due diligence.
    Not that it matters to us fans, but should make interesting reading when Jimenez writes his memoirs.
  • Thought this deserved own thread as people have given up looking at takeover thread. Not sure how accurate but at least its information.
    Thoughts??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530174/Charlton-agree-takeover-Belgian-millionaire-Roland-Duchatelet.html

Oh dear Adam. If this is wrong then you will be castigated on here (or do I mean castrated) !!
  • Interesting headline that he is only a millionaire.......don't you have to be a billionaire nowadays to afford to run a football club?
  • So the American left because he wouldn't pay the rumoured 40mil, but Cash and co seem to have gone with a 14 mil deal?
    That's a huge difference and sounds like they could have negotiated a better deal whilst two interests were doing due diligence.
    Not that it matters to us fans, but should make interesting reading when Jimenez writes his memoirs.

There's such a huge discrepancy in those two numbers that one or the other is probably incorrect, or exaggerated at least. I have no real love of the Mysterons but I don't honestly believe they would expect anyone to pay 40 million, if that number was ever floated it would have been in full expectation of being hammered down.
  • Solidgone said:

Interesting headline that he is only a millionaire.......don't you have to be a billionaire nowadays to afford to run a football club?

Five football clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Not that it matters to us fans, but should make interesting reading when Jimenez writes his memoirs.'

Edited

'Not that it matters to us fans, but should make interesting reading when Jimenez gets his memoirs ghost written.'

Agreed though Arthur, on the Josh Harris negotiation. Maybe it was all to do with good timing of the Belgium offer. This takeover also feels more about football than a property deal.
  • Mick Collins comments kind of blow pragues out of the water then
  • edited December 2013

So the American left because he wouldn't pay the rumoured 40mil, but Cash and co seem to have gone with a 14 mil deal?

I think it depends "what you include" in the price. IE money that may be payable to ex directors if we make The Prem etc.

It could well be that the 2 prices are not as far apart as it seems, if one includes say £10M that the other doesn't.

You're £40M could become £30M & you're £14M could become £24M IYTWIM.

Please don't nitpick on the above, I'm just saying you need to compare like with like.
  • edited December 2013

Mick Collins comments kind of blow pragues out of the water then

It would appear so. Hopefully player contracts will now be sorted and the non playing staff situation vastly improved.

40 and 14 sound familiar could the journalist not have misheard or misquoted?
  • Good news on the face of it.
    I hope our old mucka Richard Murray is giving the new man all the lowdown on us as a club - and emphasising just how important Chris Powell is to the future of the club. He must stay.
  • How can this guy own 2 clubs, is he selling Standard Liege.
  • edited December 2013
    cafc1263 said:

How can this guy own 2 clubs, is he selling Standard Liege.

Keep up. He/his family now own 5. Different leagues so ok :-)
  • its an interesting slant VG if its all gone through then TJ and MS have been a success of sorts
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you Jimenez/Slater/Cash for the last few years. Installed a fans favourite manager, got promoted with some excellent signings, didn't sell our best players and have now made a sale to a seemingly sensible new owner. You wasn't everyone's cup of tea and the relationship with staff and fans could have been better but you've left the club in a better state than it was when you took over.

Cheers
    ValleyGary aka Tony Jimenez

Good post.

Let's hope this news isn't another pile of BS.
  • Thank you Jimenez/Slater/Cash for the last few years. Installed a fans favourite manager, got promoted with some excellent signings, didn't sell our best players and have now made a sale to a seemingly sensible new owner. You wasn't everyone's cup of tea and the relationship with staff and fans could have been better but you've left the club in a better state than it was when you took over.

Cheers
    ValleyGary aka Tony Jimenez

Have they also reduced our debt ?
  • FFS a Belgium Guardianista in charge !!!!!!

Politics in Belguim is weird even by our standards , had some good friends over there who would be considered to of the far right in UK but were very pro the Irish Republicans and some other weird stuff.

Belgium are the dark horses for the World Cup and seem to be producing some very good players. Lets hope we get a few trialists.

in all sounds like good news.
  • Would be interesting to see what has happened to the clubs under his ownership other than Standard. What do the Hungarians and Germans think he has done for their respective clubs ?
  • edited December 2013
    These foreign owners worry me. It's beer today, gone tomorrow
  • Standard Liege play in red, so clearly it was the colour of our shirts that clinched it...

I notice in their squad Harry Hedknapp favourite Tal Ben Haim, plus former Wigan player Ronnie Stam
  • £14m is about right - they could probably have got more if they had't pissed around, which just about sums them up.
  • At least he won't change our colour to blue

The pessimist in me says Watford mark 2, feeder club to his real love and a bit of loony politics thrown in. Charlton has always been a left wing club but this is ridiculous :)

Thankyou TJ and Slater for keeping the club afloat, done a fantastic job.
  • I've been sleeping on this one , and the thought of Lukaku up front with Big Yann would be awesome , We could have a monster truck rally at the valley!