Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    No comments from the usual people ITK which makes me think there's definitely something happening as they usually only comment when its safe to to avoid affecting any deals
  • Options
    Sounds promising for a change. Good excuse for some celebratory chocolate.
  • Options
    He probably speaks both Flemish and French.

But sounds like he is Flemish. He went to the university in Leuven.
  • Options
    If this is really happening and it sounds like it is , then I think it is good news. We will know who owns the club, it will not be shrouded in mystery and Virgin Isle accounts, and it is someone already involved in football. Personally I prefer the idea of European owners.
    Hopefully CP will stay in charge.
    Yes I'm feeling this is very good news for us. ( getting worried now about my optimism)
  • Options
    I've heard that this new owner is going to change our home strip to blue.
  • Options
    Perfect match for us , another set of dull owners who will probably look to spend less than nothing to achieve the impossible

Good luck Belgique
  • Options
    Will he sell us when we leave the EU 2017
  • Options
    redsek said:

Cut price Belgian Beer in the ground? I'm in.

Free box of chocs for all ST holders at Christmas
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2013

Great news for all us CL lefties but bad news for our resident wing nuts!

God knows what Len Glover will make of it when he finds out Duchalet is a massive fan of the EU and wants to relocate the club to Brussels!

Why?
    Not content with becoming extreme Tories over a decade of economy ruining, do the Labour Party now want to claim they are liberals?
    Pathetic

I don't see him as being a loony Leftie at all. The VLD is a party with origins in Thatcherism and with an idealology of Liberalism, social Liberalism and Conservative Liberalism. He wouldn't be so prudent with his cash if he was a Leftie. He'd put the club in mountains of debt, award himself a huge pay off before sailing off into the sunset, then claim it was all the fault of the new owners.

Happy to see Charlton regain some stability in ownership. Would prefer not to read utter shite as above. The banks were really prudent with their money with sub prime mortages, uncontrolled lending and dodgy financial products, hmmm. Utter right wing spin to blame to try and blame someone else. Doesn't help to stop the causes of the crash and prevent it from happening again. That kind of spin is of no help to anybody.

This is not about the the economic crash, it is about Charlton and finding some decent owners. Maybe start a different thread for origins of the crash.
  • Options
    This is great news! Greenwich Peninsula here we come!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm pretty sure that he is Flemish. He might be one of those rare breed of Belgians who speak Dutch and French. There is a real antipathy between the Walloons and Flemish.

I managed to offend a French speaking Belgian couple in the M&S car park by saying good morning to them in Dutch.
  • Options
    I am glad not to have wade through 100 pages of speculation after due diligence. It is announced. It is done. We have new owners. It has got to be good for the club.
  • Options

EU colours? No thanks
  • Options

You guys know that Standard / Liege and this guy is french speaking right and not Flemish? :P

Kermy can ask for a new contract then to the horses mouth.
  • Options
    Sorts out the Pre-Season friendly
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I've heard he's changing it to lace.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure that he is Flemish. He might be one of those rare breed of Belgians who speak Dutch and French. There is a real antipathy between the Walloons and Flemish.

I managed to offend a French speaking Belgian couple in the M&S car park by saying good morning to them in Dutch.
    You're not kidding. My, until recently, French speaking Belgian neighbours are very scathing (if not rude) about the Flemish.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    This all seems promising and I really hope it is however there is one thing at the back of my mind. We know he is now interested in standard liege and we know also know he had another team have just been relegated. Could it be that they were his route into football and he then dropped them like a red headed step child in favour of standard Liege.

In which case could it be a good couple of years for us and then he just drops us like a hot potato?!

Sorry if that seems a little pessimistic but I just wanted to put it out there

Edit to add if however he gives us a couple of years of investment and stability and turns us into a more saleable assets that I am all for it especially given that he has just paid £14 million for us lock stock and barrel and that for me represents outstanding value
  • Options
    I don't think football fans can ever be certain about the future.

The thing that would irk me I think would be seeing Liege spending more money on players than us etc. I know it's childish by I want us to be his favourites, not the middle kid who is ok but doesn't have any outstanding talents.
  • Options
    1, I hope it is true.
    2, I hope he has bought the club outright (and we don't have even more ex-investers waiting for payment should we ever get promoted).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The owner of Standard, Roland Duchâtelet, has reached an agreement to buy Charlton Athletic FC, reports the Daily Mail on Saturday morning.

After Saint-Trond, Ujpest and Standard, the Belgian businessman has recently taken control of, one time Cup Winner's Cup finalists, German club Carl Zeiss Jena. Roland Duchâtelet, the boss of Standard will have to pay about £14 million (roughly 17 million €) for London club, Charlton. A reduced price according to the English newspaper Daily Mail.

The Addicks were also the subject of interest of American sport franchise owner Josh Harris, but his bid failed.

Kevin Cash, a real estate developer from London, had recently withdrawn funding for the club.

Charlton are currently 19th in the Championship, one division down from the Premier League.

http://www.sudinfo.be/890936/article/sports/foot-belge/standard/2013-12-28/le-boss-du-standard-roland-duchatelet-reprend-le-club-anglais-de-charlton?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Sorts out the Pre-Season friendly

I'd think as he already owns Standard and Carl Zeiss Jena, is the Chairman of Saint-Trond and his son is the majority shareholder of Ujpest, we'd have a nice little tournament set up.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Not a negative comment but why buy five football clubs ?
  • Options

Not a negative comment but why buy four football clubs ?

Probably for the same reasons as the Pozo's own Udinese, Watford and another Spanish team whose name escapes me.

One of the teams is the "main" club and players are cycled around the others via the loan market to figure who's good enough for the main club whilst they pick up regular game time.
  • Options
    because you can , if you can pick up 4 clubs for the price of 1 big spend then you have 4 times the chance of getting it right,
  • Options
    Can I just say ........... Underwhelmed.
  • Options
    Why haven't we bought anyone yet?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Happy with this - my middle son was born in Leuven

I think Hercule Poiret was Belgian, too. Only five to go...