Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

I can't believe that all is on the os after 4 days is just that poxy one paragraph on the "take over". Even if they just updated it to "talks are on going" or something. It shows a distinct lack of respect to the fans IMO

Maybe Roland doesn't want anymore conjecture during negotiations? What's more important? A takeover or the fans being informed?

This is a BUSINESS transaction after all, and all sorts of negotiations could be going on in the background.

Everybody should take a chill pill, and let the people involved get on with their jobs, and make sure that what comes out of it is right for ALL parties.
    This would be the same people that have done their jobs so well over the last three years that we are currently a football club essentially without a football pitch fit to be called a football pitch.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    JonnyK said:

The club had to say something as they were slated for not doing so last time

I very much doubt that was the reason they went public.

Me too.
    And if this Belgian deal was progressed to a stage no further than the Harris one had been,ie before DD,then why did the club release that statement on the OS? Surely they must have been aware of the possibility of the deal falling through at the same stage?
    Suspect they went public following previous criticism that they made no comments to us fans. But the other reason could be to encourage other prospective purchasers!! It's one big game where we can only watch and guess!
    I believe that the leak of the story to the Mail on Sunday was designed to encourage other prospective purchasers, but the MoS screwed it up & announced that that the deal was already done. Consequently our owners had no choice but to put something on the website clearly stating that discussions were still ongoing, and thereby inviting better offers. It's all one big game at the moment.
  • Options
    Is this your opinion Red Pete or what you have been told
  • Options

Is this your opinion Red Pete or what you have been told

I know absolutely nothing, so it's just my view. But, as AFKA says, the story was only put on the website for a very specific reason.
  • Options
    Yer that we are nearly there, why the reports in Belgium if it wasn't true ?
  • Options
    Makes Charles Sale look like a right Charlie
  • Options

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

Makes you wonder who's looking at targets? Are our management team potentially wasting time by drawing up 2 lists depending on who owns us?

Why would that be a waste of time ? Seems sensible to me. We needs bodies in and having names for both scenarios sounds the way to go.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be doing it, however we're possibly talking to agents etc regarding players we currently can not afford, if the takeover does not happen, it will be time wasted.
    At the risk of sounding picky, if the takeover does go ahead it will have been time well spent.

New balls please.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

The club had to say something as they were slated for not doing so last time

I very much doubt that was the reason they went public.

Me too.
    And if this Belgian deal was progressed to a stage no further than the Harris one had been,ie before DD,then why did the club release that statement on the OS? Surely they must have been aware of the possibility of the deal falling through at the same stage?
    Suspect they went public following previous criticism that they made no comments to us fans. But the other reason could be to encourage other prospective purchasers!! It's one big game where we can only watch and guess!
    I believe that the leak of the story to the Mail on Sunday was designed to encourage other prospective purchasers, but the MoS screwed it up & announced that that the deal was already done. Consequently our owners had no choice but to put something on the website clearly stating that discussions were still ongoing, and thereby inviting better offers. It's all one big game at the moment.
    This is, more or less, exactly what happened with the Zabeel incident.

There was so much conjecture, basically the club had to make some sort of announcement.
  • Options

Yer that we are nearly there, why the reports in Belgium if it wasn't true ?

All stories about this, in Belgium or elsewhere, have just used the MoS story or the CAFC website story as their source & then spun it to suit their own agendas / audience. There really is no other information out there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lurker said:

Lurker said:

Makes you wonder who's looking at targets? Are our management team potentially wasting time by drawing up 2 lists depending on who owns us?

Why would that be a waste of time ? Seems sensible to me. We needs bodies in and having names for both scenarios sounds the way to go.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be doing it, however we're possibly talking to agents etc regarding players we currently can not afford, if the takeover does not happen, it will be time wasted.
    Better time wasted than have the takeover go through and be totally unprepared.
  • Options
    WSA said:

Makes Charles Sale look like a right Charlie

Who is currently in Australia following the cricket
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

I can't believe that all is on the os after 4 days is just that poxy one paragraph on the "take over". Even if they just updated it to "talks are on going" or something. It shows a distinct lack of respect to the fans IMO

Maybe Roland doesn't want anymore conjecture during negotiations? What's more important? A takeover or the fans being informed?

This is a BUSINESS transaction after all, and all sorts of negotiations could be going on in the background.

Everybody should take a chill pill, and let the people involved get on with their jobs, and make sure that what comes out of it is right for ALL parties.
    This would be the same people that have done their jobs so well over the last three years that we are currently a football club essentially without a football pitch fit to be called a football pitch.
    or that have done enough over the last three years to ensure not only that we still have a football club, but that we aren't still playing the likes of Shrewsbury and Stevenage, have a legend as manager and still have our best players.

I trust them to get the right result.
  • Options
    I don't understand all this cloak and dagger stuff, okay in normal business this might be the case, but with a football club I'd say it's essential to be as transparent as possible. After all 99% of their business comes from the fans. I ain't talking about every little detail or even names at this point, but just basic one liners.
    As for flapping, this could make or break Charlton Athletic, so yes I am a little bit eager for a glint of infirmation meself
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I get the impression Duchatelet is being used as a bit of a Patsy.
    But they will sell to him if push comes to shove. Which I don't think will be very good.
  • Options

I think it's fairly clear the Josh Harris takeover was expected to go through at the end of November. I'm confident that was the background to the incident with the wages. As such I'd expect the playing side and therefore Prothero, who has told us in the programme it's his job to keep lists, to have target signings for January, subject to budget and his holiday arrangements.

ha bitter much?
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

Better time wasted than have the takeover go through and be totally unprepared.
    Yes, however focusing on achievable targets may benefit us more in the short term. There is a limited number of decent players within our budget and will be in high demand. Lose out on these, without a takeover, will leave us in a mess heading for league 1.
  • Options
    According to Wyn Grant's normally reliable Addicks Championship Diary blog this morning, rumours are circulating that the deal has collapsed. Just passing on what I've just read.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

According to Wyn Grant's normally reliable Addicks Championship Diary blog this morning, rumours are circulating that the deal has collapsed. Just passing on what I've just read.

Pretty sure that's based on the one rumour on ITTV which has since been discussed on here and mentioned on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Options
    did the staff get their wages today ?
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I don't understand all this cloak and dagger stuff, okay in normal business this might be the case, but with a football club I'd say it's essential to be as transparent as possible. After all 99% of their business comes from the fans. I ain't talking about every little detail or even names at this point, but just basic one liners.
    As for flapping, this could make or break Charlton Athletic, so yes I am a little bit eager for a glint of infirmation meself

The problem is, Rob, as supporters, of course we are all crying out for information.

But, as has been pointed out, neither the present owners, or ANY potential new owners, are NOT supporters. So, to them, all it is is a business transaction.

In which case, they're probably treating like they were negotiating the selling of the local corner shop, and keeping their cards very close to their respective chests.
  • Options
    I'll believe it when it's on the OS...unless an anonymous forum member says otherwise, in which case I won't believe anything that's on the OS.
  • Options
    Always nice to see people have a bit of class about them

I think it's fairly clear the Josh Harris takeover was expected to go through at the end of November. I'm confident that was the background to the incident with the wages. As such I'd expect the playing side and therefore Prothero, who has told us in the programme it's his job to keep lists, to have target signings for January, subject to budget and his holiday arrangements.

ha bitter much?
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

The problem is, Rob, as supporters, of course we are all crying out for information.

But, as has been pointed out, neither the present owners, or ANY potential new owners, are NOT supporters. So, to them, all it is is a business transaction.

In which case, they're probably treating like they were negotiating the selling of the local corner shop, and keeping their cards very close to their respective chests.
    In Grove Park, specifically?

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Funny you should say that, cause I had a corner shop up Grove Park once upon a time. And therefore, I once took part in the sale of one, gotta say it was pretty cut throat too, geezer knocked me for a few grand right on completion, so I'd say, seller beware!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

BIG_ROB said:

or that have done enough over the last three years to ensure not only that we still have a football club, but that we aren't still playing the likes of Shrewsbury and Stevenage, have a legend as manager and still have our best players.

I trust them to get the right result.
    Oh, so you're a fan of the current owners. Why didn't you mention it before.