Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reza Ghoochannejhad (signed by Apoel)

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Never seemed physically over awed by Bolton. Ok he goes down too easy, but what do your want from a waif? A broken rib when he runs into a df. He closed down better than Jackson did against medium paced Hutton. The improvements he made and the effective efforts he made to close down on the right must be beyond the understanding of those simple-game fans.

And he certainly has champ standard skill when he get's the ball in the right areas. Shame we need presence up front, with pace and power in midfield.
  • Not good enough for the Championship.

Yawn
  • After flying back from South Africa last night with the wonderful (honest) British Airways, i was skipping through their In Flight Entertainment, and noticed a couple of programs about the World Cup, including one which previewed the Group including Iran, and there was young Mr Ghoochannejhad being interviewed , and they replayed one of his goals that he scored v North? Korea - which had a remarkable resemblance to the one he scored away at Leeds.
    It seems that himself and Dejager appear to be the 2 leading Iranian footballers - or is it they are the only 2 who can speak English?!.
    One thing it did say, was that Reza was brought up in Holland - did we know that?
  • After flying back from South Africa last night with the wonderful (honest) British Airways, i was skipping through their In Flight Entertainment, and noticed a couple of programs about the World Cup, including one which previewed the Group including Iran, and there was young Mr Ghoochannejhad being interviewed , and they replayed one of his goals that he scored v North? Korea - which had a remarkable resemblance to the one he scored away at Leeds.
    It seems that himself and Dejager appear to be the 2 leading Iranian footballers - or is it they are the only 2 who can speak English?!.
    One thing it did say, was that Reza was brought up in Holland - did we know that?

Re Holland, yes we did.
  • Played for a couple of the Dutch youth teams iirc. Could be good to seem him if we can play to his strengths
  • Agree, way too early to write him off. Wouldn't be upset if him & COG kick us off next season (though we'll certainly need other options).
  • I notice that he is not deemed good enough to get into the Sun's player list for its World Cup Fantasy comp. Surely he'd be cheap as chips if they included him!
  • Peter_G said:

I notice that he is not deemed good enough to get into the Sun's player list for its World Cup Fantasy comp. Surely he'd be cheap as chips if they included him!

well thats a bollix from the Current Bun as he is The Man for Iran.

how many iranians do they include?

• edited May 2014

After flying back from South Africa last night with the wonderful (honest) British Airways, i was skipping through their In Flight Entertainment, and noticed a couple of programs about the World Cup, including one which previewed the Group including Iran, and there was young Mr Ghoochannejhad being interviewed , and they replayed one of his goals that he scored v North? Korea - which had a remarkable resemblance to the one he scored away at Leeds.

Piece in the Standard tonight called London's Undercard Collection, looking at some of the less familiar names at the World Cup who play for Capital clubs.

Reza gets included and they mention that he moved to Holland at the age of 8 and played in various Dutch youth squads from 2003 to 2007. Made his Iran debut in October 2012 against South Korea, in Tehran, in front of 110,000!! Obviously feels at home at The Valley :-)

Tough group though with Argentina, Nigeria and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
  • Only other player I know is Teymourian as he was at Bolton. I guess he might have picked up a form of "english" there.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    well thats a bollix from the Current Bun as he is The Man for Iran.

how many iranians do they include?

Agreed. The Bun has included just two Iranian players, both midfielders, in its player list: Dejagah (£1.5m) and Nekounam (£1m). Not even yer man Teymourian!
  • Spot on JBLOCK
  • Stewart said:

Spot on JBLOCK

I hear Quinoderm is good for treating that.
  • Also just realised he played for Sint-Truiden and had a record of 18 in 30 there before emoting to Liege. Not good enough for The Championship though I'm afraid.
  • MrLargo said:

Church - 38 games 3 goals - Ratio 1 goal every 12.5 games
    Reza - 15 games 1 goal - Ratio 1 goal every 15 games

So Church slight better statistically. I don't think Church deserves the stick he gets. He puts the effort in and it's not his fault he was the best we could afford last summer. Let's be honest though, neither of them are going to fire us to the Premier League and we'll need much better than them just to get up to mid-table.

It's like arguing over whether it's better to be punched in the face or kicked in the shin.

only 10 starts for Reza
  • At least Church can chase people down and has scored some goals. Reza's contribution (if we take away Elland Road) couldn't be more minimal
  • Reza did look like he knew where to go in the box and got on the end of a few chances. With players like that there is always the hope that they can get on a scoring run at some point. I haven't given up on him yet...
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

So Church slight better statistically. I don't think Church deserves the stick he gets. He puts the effort in and it's not his fault he was the best we could afford last summer. Let's be honest though, neither of them are going to fire us to the Premier League and we'll need much better than them just to get up to mid-table.

It's like arguing over whether it's better to be punched in the face or kicked in the shin.

only 10 starts for Reza
    Reza played out of position as a winger in many of his starts.
  • MrLargo said:

Stats can be misleading sometimes, I'd like to see the ratio for minutes per goal between the 2 of them.
  • MrLargo said:

Stats can be misleading sometimes, I'd like to see the ratio for minutes per goal between the 2 of them.
    Yeah I agree, and Reza would probaly come off better on minutes per goal (although it would still be a piss poor ratio). No stats will show how many times Church created an opening by chasing a defender down and forcing him into a mistake either. Not saying he's brilliant, he certainly isn't, but he certainly doesn't warrant the stick he gets from some on here. Reza's style of play is nice to watch, he's a flair player and flair players tend to be more popular with supporters - there is virtually no end product at the moment though. Church puts himself in the firing line by getting into good positions and then squandering absolute sitters, but until Reza is getting himself in those positions as well it's not a fair comparison.
  • Not sure if Church and Reza are fair comparisons, pretty different players and its not as though it has to be one or the other, if we feel neither are good enough then both should be replaced.
  • MrLargo said:

defo punch in the face