Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reza Ghoochannejhad (signed by Apoel)

Comments

• From the Guardian:

Who is the player who is going to surprise everyone at the World Cup?

Reza Ghoochannejhad. After his brilliant displays in qualifying the player Charlton Athletic signed from Standard Liège in January is expected to impress again in Brazil. He could be a phenomenon at the World Cup. Fast and direct, with Iran counterattacking, "Gucci" provides a potent threat. Also in attack, Ashkan Dejagah and Alireza Jahanbakhsh have what it takes to impress and help Iran progress

Impress again?

Think they mean as he did in qualifying
  • I would guess half a season being toughened up in the Championship will have benefited his all round game.

We could be in for a surprise.
  • Iran - dark horses for the cup
  • I'm hoping he comes back from the World Cup a stronger player. I think he will do well for us next season.
  • Showed good signs, it's not like he was shinning easy shots wide of open goals - he was stuck out on the wing and still got some good shots away, genuinely unlucky with some narrow misses. Play him up front and reap the benefits I reckon.
  • I got a ticket for iran v nigeria. Might actually see him score a goal live. Stranger things have happened.
  • Let's hope he has a fantastic WC, someone may actually offer big money for him you never know
  • Sponsored links:

• Play him alongside a target man and he'll score goals.

I think he could flourish if allowed a run of games playing off the shoulder of a partner and hanging on the defensive line.
  • seth plum said:

Well I will be watching Iran and rooting for Reza because he is one of us. If Iran have an easy game against Bosnia-Herzegovina and he bangs in 4, and then squeezes one in against Argentina and then Nigeria the world cup golden boot player could well be a Charlton Athletic man!

Eh? Bangs in 4 against Bosnia? Bosnia will be finishing 2nd to Argies, Iran one of weakest in the tournaments to him lol. Good luck to him though, superstar over there, would say his best chance of netting would be v Nigeria
  • seth plum said:

Well I will be watching Iran and rooting for Reza because he is one of us. If Iran have an easy game against Bosnia-Herzegovina and he bangs in 4, and then squeezes one in against Argentina and then Nigeria the world cup golden boot player could well be a Charlton Athletic man!

Eh? Bangs in 4 against Bosnia? Bosnia will be finishing 2nd to Argies, Iran one of weakest in the tournaments to him lol. Good luck to him though, superstar over there, would say his best chance of netting would be v Nigeria
    Yeah I know wishful thinking and all that, especially when you consider Edin Džeko.

I agree with this. Not played in his correct position last season in a side that struggled to create too much. Hard work for a striker in those circumstances. Add to that he was settling in a new country and adapting to a different style of football.

I think Reza is technically good. Decent pace and shot. Played in the right way I think he could do very well.

• ...however, Reza needs to play his game, not tell everybody else what to do including referees, oh and take the pain sometimes and stay on his feet.
  • edited June 2014
    He'll need a combative, hard working, aerially dominant, physical presence alongside him if he's going to flourish in England (now, where did I last see one of those around SE7... I know, I know, let it go).

But equally importantly, he'll need a player in midfield who can spot his runs early and deliver accurate, well weighted through balls for him to run onto.

Reza has potential for sure but I wonder if we won't have to play in a very specific way to get the best out if him. Is he good enough to warrant building a team around... not sure he is tbh and I frankly haven't any idea if that is how BBBB plans to play.
  • I think Trinidad play Iran about five o'clock this afternoon.
  • seth plum said:

I think Trinidad play Iran about five o'clock this afternoon.

Hard to tell the exact time it starts
    Paddy Power say 3PM
    Wiziwig Say 5PM
    Flash Scores say 7PM
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky sports news says 7pm
  • Iran leading 1-0 after 55 minutes. Not Reza.
  • Iran leading 1-0 after 55 minutes. Not Reza.

Are you watching? If so, whats he playing like?
  • LuckyReds said:

Iran leading 1-0 after 55 minutes. Not Reza.

Are you watching? If so, whats he playing like?
    Not watching the game. Just checked the score on Livescore.com
  • 2-0 Reza scored
  • Got a score on Reza to be the top goal scorer in the world cup.
    I will be able to buy a house in Sheffield with my winnings. ;-)
  • Put a tenner on then
  • It seems he started the game and scored in the 56th minute, no other details
  • I reckon he'll be decent next season. If those shots against the woodwork had gone in then there would probably be a different opinion of him.