Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out

Comments

• Options
    Bang on Nicholas Evina was shit at Reading.
  • Options
    Evina shouldn't have played tonight and the CM's should've been dale and jordan
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If Powell did go, Warnock would be a good shout. But I don't want Powell to go, I want him to be backed! The time has come where it has to happen - if it doesn't he would be entitled to walk!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Why is it when people have an opinion on this site it is either shot down, or some stupid image appears. No wonder the numbers on this site are dropping and is no longer seen as football fans forum. Powell should go. Make no bones about it he had a touch against Oxford at home and his team selection and tactics at times this season has been some what baffling.
    Like all management roles someone can take something to a certain level then they hit ceiling. This doesn't make them a bad manager it is just there level in management.
    We now need a manager who has had experiences at these testing and trying times, someone who can motivate the team, bring in fresh ideas and tactics. This in turn will give the crowd and club a lift to gain some sort of momentum before it is to late.
    Smith shouldn't have been sold and should have been given a 10 game run, he wouldn't have done any worse to what the current strike force is doing.

Any suggestions?

I am in no doubt it prove to be an unpopular or divided appointment but i would go for Warnock. My reasons for this is that the man knows how to get results, motivate a team, gets that extra 10% out of a player that will turn a draw into a win or grind out a draw.
    Huskaris said:

Why is it when people have an opinion on this site it is either shot down, or some stupid image appears. No wonder the numbers on this site are dropping and is no longer seen as football fans forum. Powell should go. Make no bones about it he had a touch against Oxford at home and his team selection and tactics at times this season has been some what baffling.
    Like all management roles someone can take something to a certain level then they hit ceiling. This doesn't make them a bad manager it is just there level in management.
    We now need a manager who has had experiences at these testing and trying times, someone who can motivate the team, bring in fresh ideas and tactics. This in turn will give the crowd and club a lift to gain some sort of momentum before it is to late.
    Smith shouldn't have been sold and should have been given a 10 game run, he wouldn't have done any worse to what the current strike force is doing.

I agree entirely with this comment regarding the hitting the ceiling. When all financial backing is taken from beneath you, you hit a ceiling. Good diagnosis pal.

As for your point about your fresh ideas and tactics. We tried that three years ago and look where that got us... Promotion *sighs* and then what could we moan about!
    Has the club progressed since then? Has our style of play got better or has it declined.
    With regards to hitting a ceiling it is a fact that certain managers can take a club so far. This has nothing to do about financial constraints.It is no secret that when the club was getting results the most consistent player in the team was Andy Hughes.He is the sort of player that can organise a team,talk to the team, and defend from the midfield giving the likes of Jackson or Stephens to bomb forward.
    MrLargo said:

Where do you think this squad should be in the table then? Our best players are currently attracting interest from mid-table Championship sides, there's no Premier League clubs sniffing around, it's Bournemouth and Brighton, why do you think that is?

The only reason a premiership club has not made a bid is that their chairman know come what June/July they will pick them players on a free or a fraction of the market value today and pay them a 5 times what they are on now. The reason Brighton and Bournemouth are in now they know they will not stand a chance in the summer.
  • Options
    I flagged it Warnock would kill me
  • Options
    If he can't get the team motivated he, like any manager, has to go - it's how it works. The shame is, before tonight, we were on a reasonable set of results. The team has to show it's backing of the manager, or it ends.... soon.
  • Options
    D Warnock would not have let certain games slip this season certainly at home
  • Options

BillG said:

I am sure he will not be around next season even if we stay up which I am increasingly pessimistic about. He has little if any tactical aptitude and his team selections and substitutions are baffling to say the least. Also he must be one of the few who cannot see that Jackson is sadly over the hill.

All he has to do is pick one of the young but experienced creative midfielders that are hanging around outside Sparrows lane on a weekday morning.
    He wouldn't know as he never watches the youth sides - one of his failings IMO
  • Options
    Warnock would need backing too though, so why not back Powell - he will know exactly what we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warnock is a man manager,he hasn't always had financial backing, what he will do is encourage,motivate,discipline and organise a team. When another thirty points are needed that is the sort of man that will get the job done.
  • Options
    are you lot being serious? Warnock?! is that what we've really got to?
  • Options
    Hate to say it but look at palace now under pullis? As much as I like Powell his lack of experience is letting him down ,not the players just the way he's lines um up?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    but he would take over a squad full of players ending their contracts and being loyal to the previous boss!
  • Options
    Dogs and football fans are loyal footballers aren't, don't worry about that.
  • Options

Hate to say it but look at palace now under pullis? As much as I like Powell his lack of experience is letting him down ,not the players just the way he's lines um up?

Holliway will do it at Millwall and Grey has made a good start at Sheffield We'd not to mention McClaren T Derby
  • Options
    Players who don't care don't play.
  • Options
    I get peoples reasons for why they would want Warnock.

I suspect his salary would be approx 5 times what Powells currently is.
  • Options
    I am not a knee jerker but that display was unacceptable. Why change the formation so radically In our biggest game of the season? So totally outplayed by a poor team, hardly a shot on target. It is very hard being a Charlton fan at the moment.
  • Options
    Everyone must agree though that todays team selection was bizarre. CP didn't do himself any favours there and I can totally understand people's frustration. As Charlton fans, doesn't everyone have a right to express their opinions? And if that means saying 'Powell Out' then so be it. Why are some people so protective? I think if people are saying it as a knee jerk reaction then that is different but I know people are starting to say this having been patient for many months now.

It's not just about the players that are available and the lack of funding but also about the style of football that is coached and the general approach on the field. Maybe the reason why we don't score many goals is that we are just not set up in a way that is conducive to creating chances. Maybe that's just the way CP approaches it.

Even in the L1 championship season I don't remember that we set the league alight with our scintillating play. In fact, without checking the stats, I seem to remember that we would often grind out narrow wins.

I must admit I have conflicting emotions. I have wanted CP to succeed with us and I still think it would be a mistake to replace him at this stage of the season. However, after games like today, I'm starting to wonder if he really is up to it to take us to the next level. It's a catch-22 really. Without giving him the time and the support we'll never know whether that L1 season was the norm or whether it was because we were a big fish in a small pond who happened to have come across a bit of financial clout for a season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get how Powell can be critised so much. The man has had his hands completely tied over the last two seasons.

Compare our wage budget to the teams in this league and you'll see how little Powell has to work with. This is running parallel with the uncertainty about his job due to his contract running down.

Powell still has my full support. He deserves a new contract and some backing from the owners regarding his own players contracts.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Everyone keeps saying Powell is doing he's best with the squad we've got....... But there's not much different from the squad we had last year to this year ?
    However I think the contract situation is getting completely out of hand.

Fuller. Haynes. Solly and Wiggins every match near as dammit. I'd have an orgasm if we could have three of them fit and up for it.
    Exactly, and Fuller and Haynes replaced by inferior players; Cort missing too.

You deplete a squad, you lose more games. Just as, if you allow good people to leave a business and replace them with inferior people, your business goes into decline. I'm interested to learn why Mr Duchatelet (a Businessman, as the Belgians tell us in an awed tone) thinks football would be any different.

How many goals/games did Fuller and Haynes play last season and would you drop Kermo to fit them in
    The clubs that are successful have strong squads. Kermorgant gets injured. What have we got when that happens? Absolutely sweet FA. You need someone on the bench who can come on and do something unexpected, like Haynes did. And at this level you need a player who can turn a game with a moment of magic as Fuller did several times, for others to score. Like Watford away, to give an example I actually saw.

I'm kind of surprised I even have to make this point.

I asked you a question based on fact not opinion and neither would be a better player this season than last.
    With such a small squad why sell Smith without having a replacement.
    Fuller played in 31 games last season, scoring 5 goals. Haynes played in 20, scoring 7. We scored 65 goals last season, so their 12 accounted for around 18% of that total. Are you suggesting that's not a significant contribution?

Both played with Kermorgant at times last season, so I don't understand why he'd have to be dropped to accommodate them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    1. Don't like deep defence & fact we rarely concede offsides or 1 on 1s
    2. Don't like players out of position, play talented kids when needed.
    3. Players not delivering should be dropped but keep nucleus where possible.
    4. Who sanctions hoofball? But pitch doesn't help.

All have CP culpable, but injuries, reds & bare-bones squad haven't helped. Sure nobody with our resources could have done better. Give us some quality RD.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I wasn't at the game tonight , i'm sure it wasn't pretty , but our squad has been woefully underfunded this season , if i was CP & RD , i'd start to think i'd been sold up the river , by TJ & MS , CP really needs some funding for strikers RD , the squad is not strong enough , make do loans is not the answer at the moment , we need investment.
  • Options

I don't get how Powell can be critised so much. The man has had his hands completely tied over the last two seasons.

Compare our wage budget to the teams in this league and you'll see how little Powell has to work with. This is running parallel with the uncertainty about his job due to his contract running down.

Powell still has my full support. He deserves a new contract and some backing from the owners regarding his own players contracts.

I understand he hasn't been able to spend like other teams have but if all the players were given 5 year contracts tomorrow they wouldn't become better players. They would still be put in wrong positions to accommodate Jackson.
  • Options

Are the numbers dropping? Odd - because there's another post on this very page (I think it's thread number fifty three thousand seven hundred and forty) which seems to suggest we've just had seen the busiest day here in eight years...
  • Options
    Lets be honest what player who is available is gonna come to Charlton when half the team is out of contract in the summer. Better to give the existing players a contract because they are still the best in league 1 and it would cost a lot more to replace them , if they want to stay. I would think most will walk away come summer.
  • Options

Are the numbers dropping? Odd - because there's another post on this very page (I think it's thread number fifty three thousand seven hundred and forty) which seems to suggest we've just had seen the busiest day here in eight years...
    I know for a fact there are people i know and i am not talking one or two that no longer come on here due to the fact it is no longer seen as a fans forum.
  • Options
    Wonder how many of you would be this vociferous in your support for the manager if it wasn't CP.

I want him to stay, but he is certainly not exempt from criticism