Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Choose whoever you want to "take us into lge 1". If the boats sinking you can promote the cook to captain if you want. He won't keep us afloat.
  • Options
    and no I'm not suggesting Cook for Captain, smartarses.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    However that has got me thinking. England cricketers were awesome not so long ago. Something changed. People don't just 'get bad' over night. It's a combination of loads of things as to why we're not up to it at the moment. Players, behind the scenes, new owners, uncertainty, we can't just randomly circulate our fingers and point at someone to blame every week. Powell does pick the best team he has for that game on the day. How do we know that he's not playing his 3rd choice player in that position because so and so is carrying an injury, or they feel the opposite player in that position will be better contained by the 3rd choice player? We dont know. We just see what's put in front if us and use the benefit of hindsight to get our pointy fingers out!
    He can't then come out in the media and say well he played badly but couldn't play who I wanted as that would be unprofessional. He has to suck it up and move on.

As do we.
  • Options
    Like it @ross
  • Options
    great post @ross very hard to disagree with anything you've said there
  • Options
    Agree with everything there @ross. I think people need to calm down slightly and weigh up the good and bad of powell, and youll see he's actually done us proud and took us to a new level with very limited to work with in the last 18 months.
  • Options
    Got to go I'm afraid and I like the man.
    We just need a manager who can use the players we've got!play hoofball or whatever it takes to stay in this league to grind out some points from somewhere not just tinker and hope for best only to get out played every week?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

cafc4life said:

Sorry @wss just this annoys me, this @cafc4life only comes on here for a row and I can't comment on things without people thinking I'm the same idiot who's a WUM sometimes . Apologies

But he's cafc4life1.... surely people spot that you're not the same...? no. Took me a few mins.

Never meant to offend anyone with my comment last night, was only saying that cafc4life1 is only on here to moan and be negative so wish he would change his/her username lol.Apologies to anyone i may of offended with my language
  • Options
    Powell out or Powell in, if RD don't get the cheque book out we are down either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

If this time next year after rebuilding and giving him more resources we are still in a relegation battle then it may be time to look at sacking him, but not now.

I think the last line of this post is spot on... Since Powell has taken over we've never been in a Relegation scrap so he's gonna struggle to know how to get us out of the mess as is a new experience for him... this is the year for him to get that experience.

Now am not saying that Powell has the right to use Charlton as a Work Experience role before going on to better things but if we go down then in CP we've a Manager who knows how to build a squad to get us out of that Divisi
  • Options

Yes,but he isn't any longer! So what do we do? Hope or change?

Neither, the club gives Chris Powell some funds to strengthen the squad with experienced players. if only on loan until the end of the season. And of course, extend the contracts of Wiggins, Kermorgant, Morrison and Hamer at least.

• Options
    i dont understand the 'record points total and 9th last season' argument. Sam allardyce got west ham promoted and then finished 10th last season, this season theyre doing shit and all the fans want him to go, regardless of what hes done, and the only thing thats stopping him getting sacked is the amount of money he would get payed to leave. this should be the same with us, just because powell played here everyone thinks hes the man for the job, we should judge a person on how theyre doing now, if i was employee of the year last year but this year im fucking everything up i would expect to be sacked and wouldnt have the argument of 'well last year i did okay so i should be able to stay' we need a change imo
  • Options

i dont understand the 'record points total and 9th last season' argument. Sam allardyce got west ham promoted and then finished 10th last season, this season theyre doing shit and all the fans want him to go, regardless of what hes done, and the only thing thats stopping him getting sacked is the amount of money he would get payed to leave. this should be the same with us, just because powell played here everyone thinks hes the man for the job, we should judge a person on how theyre doing now, if i was employee of the year last year but this year im fucking everything up i would expect to be sacked and wouldnt have the argument of 'well last year i did okay so i should be able to stay' we need a change imo

Different background scenarios so bad example. Allardyce has been backed financially with very large sums of money continuously. Powell hasn't been, infact the opposite, he's been cut back and the team/squad weakened. If Powell had spent money and was failing then I'm sure manys views on him would be different accordingly.
  • Options
    We have good players just not being used to their potential?
    Francis good at Southend
    Crap for us
    Now doing good at Bournemouth
    Get the picture?
  • Options
    The way things are going i can see CP coming on here and starting a thread 'Charlton Out'
  • Options
    I wonder what people will be saying if we win on saturday...
  • Options
    Think the 'Powell out' brigade might get their wish,if the Yann rumours are correct then I think CP will walk. Seems from the outside hes being undermined almost daily :(
  • Options
    No new manager would do any better with the same resources as Chris Powell has. It is a great fantasy to get a dressing room door thumper in like Warnock, there may even be a short term improvement in results, but without resources Warnock would be no better in my view than Powell. He would be expensive and would wangle himself a Pardewesque long term contract which would be down to Mr Duchatelet to fund. In the end he would be a here today gone tomorrow phenomena when he moves on like he always has, leaving us in who knows what kind of situation.
    I would rather Powell, Powell backed with resources ideally. However if not, I would rather face league one with Powell than with Warnock.
    If it could be accepted that on the face of it Mr Duchatelet intends towards balancing the books, and relying on youth and inter club movements. If Chris Powell can also accept that approach, and that he wouldn't be slaughtered (by Mr D) if results were affected, then we have a way forward.
    We may get relegated, but we at least shouldn't be going bust. Crowds would dwindle, and it would certainly be a quite expensive model short term, but success may come, home grown stars and so on, the crowds may pick up, and we may get a decently functioning football club on the go that is financially sound.
    It is a plan right or wrong, it is an aspiration right or wrong, but if I had inherited this basket case I would formulate a plan a little like that.
    The absolute key dynamic at the moment is the relationship between Mr Duchatelet and Chris Powell.
  • Options
    Best for Powell's career if he walked I would think. His loyalty to Charlton may prevent him, but easier to get a new job than if sacked by the belgian football club collector?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, if I were in Powells position, I'd be walking 5 mins after the deadline has passed. The guy's on a hiding to nothing here....................
  • Options
    i think powell shoud definitely stay. however underinvestment over 2 years has left us threadbare. we may have to consider dropping down a league to build a stronger squad for the future. if we stay up I fear not too much will change and tbh, a lot of the squad needs replacing. powell took us out of league one before with a new team. if we accepted some players like Jackson and kermorgant and green and church or something left, we could build a new young team. many youngsters who are on the verge of being top players. considering everyone else spent money in the championship this season and we have not yet spent a penny, we should have expected this. I wonder if cl had been around with curbs whether we would have called for his head. I would now consider it a bonus to stay up. our squad was threadbare in December and whilst some players from liege have come in, we didl ose cammy stewart and possibly yann. saying that we have a decent chance of staying up.
  • Options

i think powell shoud definitely stay. however underinvestment over 2 years has left us threadbare. we may have to consider dropping down a league to build a stronger squad for the future. if we stay up I fear not too much will change and tbh, a lot of the squad needs replacing. powell took us out of league one before with a new team. if we accepted some players like Jackson and kermorgant and green and church or something left, we could build a new young team. many youngsters who are on the verge of being top players. considering everyone else spent money in the championship this season and we have not yet spent a penny, we should have expected this. I wonder if cl had been around with curbs whether we would have called for his head. I would now consider it a bonus to stay up. our squad was threadbare in December and whilst some players from liege have come in, we didl ose cammy stewart and possibly yann. saying that we have a decent chance of staying up.

CL wasn't around during Curbs' tenure but Netaddicks was and yes plenty of people called for his head because they didn't like " boring mid table premier league football" and considered he had "taken us as far as he can."

• Options
    LenGlover said:

CL wasn't around during Curbs' tenure but Netaddicks was and yes plenty of people called for his head because they didn't like " boring mid table premier league football" and considered he had "taken us as far as he can."

i rest my case