Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Out

Comments

• Options
    I can't bide him D if we got him it would kill me cheering him on the bloke is a grade 1 wanka
  • Options

Everyone keeps saying Powell is doing he's best with the squad we've got....... But there's not much different from the squad we had last year to this year ?
    However I think the contract situation is getting completely out of hand.

Fuller. Haynes. Solly and Wiggins every match near as dammit. I'd have an orgasm if we could have three of them fit and up for it.
    Exactly, and Fuller and Haynes replaced by inferior players; Cort missing too.

You deplete a squad, you lose more games. Just as, if you allow good people to leave a business and replace them with inferior people, your business goes into decline. I'm interested to learn why Mr Duchatelet (a Businessman, as the Belgians tell us in an awed tone) thinks football would be any different.

I make you right on Fuller - not adequately replaced and a big difference when most games are settled by 1 goal in this division and we are now the league's lowest scorers. But Haynes not pulling up trees.
    There has been no effective loan cover for Solly either - our player of the year two years running and no loans when Kermorgant was out / recovering.
    But the squad is by no means depleted - the spine of the team is not bad at keeper, central defence and midfield and Kermorgant. And Wiggins back + we have Cousins in but Harriott not the same.

It needs more talent and needs it yesterday - this situation is 100% avoidable and still solvable. If we can just get to the summer retaining championship status then there is plenty of scope for change. So right now it needs a few quid spent to get away from the Yeovils, Millwalls, Wednesdays etc and get back to mid table. And pass free falling clubs on the way instead of our current race to the bottom!

The longer this is left the more expensive it is going to get!

Having said all that, I am 100% up for the Birmingham game - simple option we have to win and we have to back the team - as stated elsewhere plenty to play for and we do our bit

• Options
    if he has as little tactical awareness as many are saying, how did he lead us to our record points in a league one with both she field clubs and Huddersfield with Jordan Rhodes in with 2 years less experience than he has now? please answer.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

I don't get how Powell can be critised so much. The man has had his hands completely tied over the last two seasons.

Compare our wage budget to the teams in this league and you'll see how little Powell has to work with. This is running parallel with the uncertainty about his job due to his contract running down.

Powell still has my full support. He deserves a new contract and some backing from the owners regarding his own players contracts.

I understand he hasn't been able to spend like other teams have but if all the players were given 5 year contracts tomorrow they wouldn't become better players. They would still be put in wrong positions to accommodate Jackson.
    Do you honestly believe if Powell had any real backing over the last two seasons this would be his team?

It's not a case of giving "all" players deals. It's those key players eg Kerm,Stephens and Wiggins that need deals.

All this said before even the managers ers future is certain.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Rob said:

Everyone must agree though that todays team selection was bizarre. CP didn't do himself any favours there and I can totally understand people's frustration. As Charlton fans, doesn't everyone have a right to express their opinions? And if that means saying 'Powell Out' then so be it. Why are some people so protective? I think if people are saying it as a knee jerk reaction then that is different but I know people are starting to say this having been patient for many months now.

It's not just about the players that are available and the lack of funding but also about the style of football that is coached and the general approach on the field. Maybe the reason why we don't score many goals is that we are just not set up in a way that is conducive to creating chances. Maybe that's just the way CP approaches it.

Even in the L1 championship season I don't remember that we set the league alight with our scintillating play. In fact, without checking the stats, I seem to remember that we would often grind out narrow wins.

I must admit I have conflicting emotions. I have wanted CP to succeed with us and I still think it would be a mistake to replace him at this stage of the season. However, after games like today, I'm starting to wonder if he really is up to it to take us to the next level. It's a catch-22 really. Without giving him the time and the support we'll never know whether that L1 season was the norm or whether it was because we were a big fish in a small pond who happened to have come across a bit of financial clout for a season.

Excellent points, Rob, including your ambivalence about the quality of play in our promotion season - and last season, despite our beguiling ninth-place finish. Strange as it seems, I think we are playing slightly better than last year, mostly due to Stephens' improved technical skill.

I've never bought the excuse that our decline in performance is caused by uncertainty over contracts - professional players always do their very best, at least for their personal pride. Simply not trying is beyond the pale, and so far there is no evidence of that. I respect Powell hugely for his many qualities, but football fans everywhere demand to see attacking moves - made by skill, cunning, or sheer brute force.
  • Options
    Stop with the "oh shame he didn't sign Messi, Mata, Ronaldo etc"... Stupid comments. Please reason why you want him to stay, without ridiculing those with the opposite opinion who are reasoning why they want him to leave.

I don't like Powells tactics 90% of the time. I think his subs are poor e.g defenders on for strikers in last 10 mins and then we go deeper and deeper until we concede. Line-ups like tonight are also ridiculous.

But I don't want him sacked. I think what he does bring is stability, great man management, attractive to potential signings, can motivate players, has a relationship with the fans he is Charlton and I love that about our club.
  • Options
    I feel for Powell having a depleted squad but still feel his defensive mentality and the tactics do let us down. We defend so deep and when we win possession we are so deep and narrow we can't play out. I like to see us attempt to use the width more and focus on space rather then trying to create chances via long ball pressure, It just doesn't work against organised defences. Every player against Donny was rigid didn't want to play just dwelled on the ball until they lost it. To see a professional football club play so amateur. The players have the ability it's the decision making which is letting them down, mentally a lot of the squad ain't prepared can't manage at the moment.
  • Options

I get peoples reasons for why they would want Warnock.

I suspect his salary would be approx 5 times what Powells currently is.

I've always been deeply suspicious of managers like Neil Warnock - Barry Fry must be the archetype - who jump up and down on the touchline, "kick every ball", and run to the corner-flag when their team scores. Managers and coaches should have done their intelligent, authoritative and effective work on Monday to Friday.

• Options
    AddickRam said:

I feel for Powell having a depleted squad but still feel his defensive mentality and the tactics do let us down. We defend so deep and when we win possession we are so deep and narrow we can't play out. I like to see us attempt to use the width more and focus on space rather then trying to create chances via long ball pressure, It just doesn't work against organised defences. Every player against Donny was rigid didn't want to play just dwelled on the ball until they lost it. To see a professional football club play so amateur. The players have the ability it's the decision making which is letting them down, mentally a lot of the squad ain't prepared can't manage at the moment.

We allow the opposition to put us on the back foot right from the start - what on earth were we doing last season, playing only one up front at home? We lost ten of those league games, even with the flickering attentions of Haynes and Fuller. We are still deathly ponderous at making moves from attacking throw-ins; for a change Danny Green came on as sub recently and hurled it from half-way down to the corner - yet our man failed to control it and all possession was lost. Shouldn't Green himself have been on the receiving end, jokes aside?

Sit in the Covered End on a Saturday and watch the quick, close, unfussy economy with which other teams approach and enter our box. As a player, Chris Powell was a defender. This, I think, is pertinent to why we don't even look like scoring.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do think he has run his course at charlton unfortunately, we need someone with experience in these situations, I also think some players have got to comfortable under Powell. Morrison and hamer being the biggest culprit of this. This will contradict what I have just said But sacking him now would be stupid. If he was going to go they should of done it at start of jan. I really hope he proves me wrong but only missing one game all season including pre season and abroad. His tactics and body language have slowly got worse and worse. I'll be their Saturday still giving him support all the time he is charlton manager as he is OUR manager. Just give us something to cheer
  • Options
    Having the Barnsley and Bournemouth home games cancelled hasn't helped - a potential 6 points that, if we'd got them, would see us in a different place
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but right now Chris Powell is NOT making the best out of a bad situation, as some insist. That line up last night was baffling on multiple levels, some of his tactics have been questionable and many of his substitutions debatable even in the best of times, like the promotion season - the unrest has not suddenly sprung out of nowhere, it has simply become more loud and obvious.

Hopefully he will get the chance to turn it around, but should RD decide he wants someone else to try, I will not be surprised in the least... (though I will be disappointed.0
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I hate to say it, but right now Chris Powell is NOT making the best out of a bad situation, as some insist. That line up last night was baffling on multiple levels, some of his tactics have been questionable and many of his substitutions debatable even in the best of times, like the promotion season - the unrest has not suddenly sprung out of nowhere, it has simply become more loud and obvious.

Hopefully he will get the chance to turn it around, but should RD decide he wants someone else to try, I will not be surprised in the least... (though I will be disappointed.0

Very good post
  • Options
    .....for a newbie

; )
  • Options
    The other problem we could face is we could lose two key players Stevens and Wiggins who had both showed form over the last month or so?teams around us are strengthening where we could weakening our already poor fragile squad.
    Frightning prospect
    Then Powell really will have his work cut out?
  • Options
    dizzee said:

...I don't like Powells tactics 90% of the time. I think his subs are poor e.g defenders on for strikers in last 10 mins and then we go deeper and deeper until we concede. Line-ups like tonight are also ridiculous...

I used to argue this. It always frustrates the hell out of me when we go defensive in the last ten, and I was sure that we ended up conceding lots of goals as a result. I did an analysis because I wanted to prove my point (it's on here somewhere), and actually found the exact opposite. Powell makes those defensive subs for a reason; and that reason is that we tend to to better as a result of it. I still don't like it though ;-)
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Sorry @wss just this annoys me, this @cafc4life only comes on here for a row and I can't comment on things without people thinking I'm the same idiot who's a WUM sometimes . Apologies

But he's cafc4life1.... surely people spot that you're not the same...? no. Took me a few mins.

• Options
    As much as I love the man he is slowly starting to convince me that he is not the right man for the job. You can stick up for him as much as you want, saying that he has a paper thin/poor squad, but there is no excuse for playing as many people out of position as he did tonight. He lost us that game, the way the players were set up we had no chance. An 18 year-old on his full debut playing out of position at left back, a left-back playing left midfield, a right midfield playing right back and our only creative midfielder playing on the right wing? Joke decisions.
  • Options
    The team selection last night was an insult to the fans that travelled up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell does seem beyond criticism for some fans. Yes you can argue he's hand his hands tied, a lack of money, players not offered new contracts but...........he still picks the team, he decides the tactics, he picks players out of position. The only way we ever win an away game is if we score the first goal and hang on for dear life. If we concede first we're quite often done for. It's over a year since we conceded the first goal and went on to win an away game.

• Options
    I can't believe the blind support for Powell as he has made so many poor decisions this season that has cost us many points.Yes he is a Charlton hero and would never slag him off but you can't keep making excuses for the team selection and performances.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

The team selection last night was an insult to the fans that travelled up there.

Did CP pick the team or is the new owner having a say????
  • Options

Jarman said:

Did CP pick the team or is the new owner having a say????

If the new owner had a say then you'd assume the new keeper and Astrid would've started.
  • Options

Powell does seem beyond criticism for some fans. Yes you can argue he's hand his hands tied, a lack of money, players not offered new contracts but...........he still picks the team, he decides the tactics, he picks players out of position. The only way we ever win an away game is if we score the first goal and hang on for dear life. If we concede first we're quite often done for. It's over a year since we conceded the first goal and went on to win an away game.

So what you are saying is, if we get in any other manager and give that manager the same resources, results will improve? Does that mean the record points breaking season and near miss of the play offs last season was a managerial fluke?
  • Options
    So do we let Powell take us into League One because of what happened the last two seasons?And we were poor last season so the near play off miss was a fluke?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

So do we let Powell take us into League One because of what happened the last two seasons?And we were poor last season so the near play off miss was a fluke?

If it was then CP certainly managed to get a half decent team to punch above its weight. And, will another manager keep us from going down with the same resources and with the expectation that player contracts are still on hold and possibly no further signings.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

And why is that? Because we lack quality in midfield and up front.

Find an Andy Reid type playmaker to play right or left midfield and we'll create more chances. Add a goalscorer up front and a Championship standard winger as well and we'll be more dangerous going forward.

Not going to defend the team selection last night, looked odd soon as I saw it. We could change manager but we will still need those 2/3 players. If we don't get them by Friday night we've got to hope we pick them up when the loan window opens, and by then we'd have played another game or two.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Yes,but he isn't any longer! So what do we do? Hope or change?