Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davis Cup

Comments

• Options
    Well done guys, great entertainment, much more exciting than watching the rugby.
  • Options
    A great match with some lovely tennis. Nerve shredding though
  • Options
    More entertaining than watching our progress on final score. Well done to the Murrays!
  • Options
    A big ask to expect Murray to beat Tomic tomorrow (the world's no 23) after 5 sets today and 3 on Friday when Tomic has had a day's rest.

Murray is a very fit lad so one hopes be can but this tie is not over yet by any means.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A big ask to expect Murray to beat Tomic tomorrow (the world's no 23) after 5 sets today and 3 on Friday when Tomic has had a day's rest.

Murray is a very fit lad so one hopes be can but this tie is not over yet by any means.

It might still come down to Dan Evans, the guy who wasn't even in the team...
  • Options
    Andy Murray against Tomic tomorrow is 50/50 at best.
    Not having a rest day after a 4 hour match when your playing a player rated as high as 23 will be a tough ask.
    The Glasgow crowd will need to carry him through.

If not Dan the Man against the young Australian who is rated 200 + places above him. 60/40 in the Aussie's favour.

Game on.
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me why Evans is playing ahead of Ward?
  • Options

Ward is horribly out of form. Think it's something like 15 matches in a row he's lost.

It's a shame that ITF rejected Aljaz Bedene's application to represent Britain in the Davis Cup.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Leon Smith might be able to.

To be serious Ward has done virtually nothing since Wimbledon whereas Evans, after a lay off, has been winning albeit at a lower level. He had also beaten Tomic previously.

Not saying I agree with the thinking as Ward has a track record of raising his game for Davis Cup matches.

• Options
    Big respect to Muzza!

GB in the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1978.

11 sets in 3 days takes some doing. The Aussies were and are no mugs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great achievement!
  • Options
    Great stuff GB. :-)

The other semi final has gone all the way to the fifth rubber. If Argentina win, GB have a choice of home venue. If Belgium win, we travel to Belgium for the final.
  • Options
    I thought Mo Farrar was the out & out favourite for this year's BBC Sports Personality until today......

Respect, Andy Murray.
  • Options
    well done to andy murray and gb tennis, fabulous achievement
  • Options
    And now the chance to work out all our angst against Belgium!
  • Options

I thought Mo Farrar was the out & out favourite for this year's BBC Sports Personality until today......

Respect, Andy Murray.

It's whoever scores the winner against Palarse for me.
  • Options
    Belgium win the other semi final. The final will be played in Belgium.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Just home from a fantastic weekend of tennis in Glasgow! Amazing atmosphere and tennis! Had to miss today's match as messed up our dates for going on holiday so had to come back early!
    Shame the final is in Belgium as could be on clay to neutralise Murray, they reckon. Come on November!

• Options
    sm said:

And now the chance to work out all our angst against Belgium!

Bloody Belgians again!

Murray is reasonable on Clay, looking at their semi, Goffin played the singles but not the doubles (which they lost)
    Assuming the 2 number ones win the opening matches, the key matches will be the doubles and Murray against Goffin. Can Andy play 3 days running on clay, and without home crowd support?
  • Options
    Jamie Murray and Dom Inglot for the doubles is an option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmm. Belgium have only been in the final once before. That was in 1904. They lost 5-0. To Britain.
  • Options
    Draw for the Davis Cup has been made starting tomorrow

First up tomorrow its Kyle Edmund playing in his first ever Davis Cup match (only the sixth debutante at a Final) he'll be playing David Goffin before Andy Murray plays Ruben Bemelmans later in the day.

on Saturday it'll be Andy and Jamie against Kimmer Coppejans / Steve Darcis

Then first on Sunday it'll be Andy Murray v David Goffin which'll hopefully make it 3-1 to GB prior to Kyle Edmund playing against Ruben Bemelmans.

C'mon Britain!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/34933789
  • Options
    If it goes to the final match then James ward will play instead of Kyle Edmund.
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Dom Inglot, in any other era he'd be playing in the doubles.
  • Options
    Great insight to the last time we were in the final. I remember Buster Motram well, he was an excellent player. I wonder how he would be treated today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/34761210
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Great insight to the last time we were in the final. I remember Buster Motram well, he was an excellent player. I wonder how he would be treated today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/34761210

One of the best sporting articles I've read in ages. Amazed it's not a book.
  • Options
    Have a feeling the doubles will be effectively the decider.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I've never even heard of Kyle Edmund, any good ? Why isn't James Ward playing to start with ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

johnny73 said:

I've never even heard of Kyle Edmund, any good ? Why isn't James Ward playing to start with ?
    Edmunds is just twenty and moving up rankings. Seems to be a better clay court player than ward. However hasn't played Davis cup before and probably not experienced enough for a decider. Both will probably be out of their depth and if they play one match each they can focus and treat it as their fa cup final.
  • Options
    Good luck to them all. Fair play to Murray who i guess could have had more lucrative options. Not that he is short of a few bob.