Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davis Cup

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

He didn't play for us for three years

All the better that he has now and is single handedly giving British tennis some credibility
  • Options

I looked back to see why nations with top players like Serbia, Switzerland etc didn't get through and saw their top players didn't play. So well done Andy Murray for committing to play. The key win was by James Ward against the US; with the Bryans going to win the doubles, his win was crucual

It's a massive commitment to play right through to the final so the top players have tended to put all their effort in to winning it, then take a break from the competition.
  • Options
    I turned over to this before the agony of the football finished!
  • Options
    Trouble here...
  • Options
    Murray brothers win!!

6-4 4-6 6-3 6-2

If Murray (world #2) can beat Goffin (world #16) tomorrow afternoon, Great Britain win the Davis Cup!

Even if he loses, we still get a chance with one of Ward / Edmund / Evans.
  • Options
    Murray Brothers 2 Belgium 1 :smile:
  • Options
    great win. Down with Belgium.
  • Options
    Love Andy Murray. go on son!
  • Options
    Scotland 2 1 Belgium
  • Options
    Britain wins Davis Cup for first time since 1936!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Murray may have the personality of a baked bean, but to win the biggest team tournament in world tennis single handily is a fantastic achievement. Fair play!
  • Options
    How on earth are they going to lift that enormous trophy?!
  • Options
    Murray always does the business. But I hope Kyle Edmund's role in this tie isn't forgotten. He took Goffin to 5, which would have drained Goffin mentally as much as physically. In fact, most of the other players in the team in this competition who played the first tie did a job knackering their opponent making Murray's job a tad easier. Well done to all the players. One of the best team competitions.
  • Options
    I could watch that match point again and again. The defensive shot prior to the lob was majestic!

As much as he was the driving force behind this, to say he won it single handedly is a touch unfair. Wards win against Isner in the first round was probably the most important at 2-2. James Ward has also played his part as has Jamie Murray. Such an amazing achievement for all of them.
  • Options
    And we still had to win all those doubles matches, so hats off there
  • Options
    Well done Scotland
  • Options
    Magnificent achievement.

Tough one for BBC Sports Team of the year.

For me the Davis Cup team just about shades the England Women football world cup team purely because they won.

Wouldn't argue if the vote went the other way though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a great shot to win it! I loved the emotion afterwards.

A great effort by Andy, yes it wasn't a solo effort, but to win 11 matches is an incredible feat.
  • Options
    How long before Andy Murray gets a Knighthood
  • Options
    Fantastic stuff; such a competitor. Enjoy it, it may be another 70 odd years before we produce another like him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Olympic Champion, US Open Champion, Wimbledon Champion, Davis Cup Winner, Australian finalist, French semi finalist and counting.

Well done Andy Murray!

Oh for the "good old days" when we would celebrate a British player (e.g. Jeremy Bates) reaching the second week of Wimbledon!
  • Options
    Well done GB & especially Murray. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that, but by Christ that Andrew Castle spouts a load of bollocks. Murray will get my vote for SPOTY.
  • Options
    The Murray knighthood will surely be imminent and much deserved too.
  • Options
    Tremendous achievement. Plus, as an Addick, nice that Belgium did'nt win. Thans to KM, doubly sweet.
  • Options
    Tennis? Really?