Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davis Cup

Comments

• Options
    Third set to Goffin...
  • Options
    All going swimmingly till I come home and put it on the telly...hate it when that happens!
  • Options
    Edmund 5-1 down in the 4th :-(
  • Options

What was going on between the Umpire and Coaches then... Am at work with the sound off?

Someone in the crowd called the ball out, so eventually they replayed the point
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

2-2 in terms of sets... Reckon Goffin has turned this one around now.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

2-2 in terms of sets... Reckon Goffin has turned this one around now.
    Intuitively one would think the player coming back from 0-2 has the momentum, and all things being equal would be favourite to win the final set. Statistically however the player having lost a two set lead is favourite to win the final set - the comeback player relaxes slightly and the player who almost had it won is so angry that they get really pumped up for the final set.

I'm clutching at straws here!!
  • Options
    Yup this match is just one set too far for Edmund... Shame because he's done brilliantly, just seems to have ran out of steam
  • Options
    This is why 5 set tennis is some much more of a test. Time and again we see higher ranked players in trouble at 0-2 only to come back and win 3-2.
  • Options

Yup this match is just one set too far for Edmund... Shame because he's done brilliantly, just seems to have ran out of steam

As I said higher up the thread this could be his first ever five setter.

Throw into the mix that occasions do not come much bigger than a Davis Cup final expecting him to win the fifth is a massive ask.
  • Options
    I guess they decided that this was a punt worth taking, whichever player we chose would have been expected to lose to Goffin. What nobody expected was how well Edmund would start and how terribly Goffin would start
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Collapsed quicker than a deck of cards
  • Options

I guess they decided that this was a punt worth taking, whichever player we chose would have been expected to lose to Goffin. What nobody expected was how well Edmund would start and how terribly Goffin would start

Hopefully this is what they had planned... Edmund being on clay would take Goffin to 5-sets whereas Ward might have been beaten in straights
  • Options
    Murray a set up but so was Edmund.....
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Murray a set up but so was Edmund.....

But Murray higher than Goffin and is playing a player ranked lower than Edmund ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Murray wins the second set 6-2

but so did Edmund......
  • Options
    Anyone else find those St Andrews students playing at being a football crowd extremely irritating?
  • Options
    Murray could be broken here in the third
  • Options
    And he has been!

4-2 Bemelmans
  • Options
    Keeping us guessing as always - never dull watching Murray play!
  • Options
    Murray now up 6-5 and about to serve for the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    GB level the tie. 1-1 after the first day.

As expected but a shame Edmund couldn't put away Goffin earlier.
  • Options

It was but the way he played gives you hope that the 5th match could be won by GB if something goes wrong in one of Andy's two remaining matches.
  • Options

It was but the way he played gives you hope that the 5th match could be won by GB if something goes wrong in one of Andy's two remaining matches.
    Well Edmund is 100th in the World with his opponent (the guy that Andy faced) down in 128th so Edmund should win... If not there is always Ward that can come in his place
  • Options
    As ever it boils down to whether Andy can cope with 3 games in 3 days, both physically and mentally. Thankfully he didn't lose the 3rd set, he could do without an extra 30 minutes out on court!
  • Options
    Oh you Belgians.
  • Options
    Steve Darcis is the other option for the singles, I think they rested him today to keep him fresh
  • Options
    is he playing with his brother in doubles?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I looked back to see why nations with top players like Serbia, Switzerland etc didn't get through and saw their top players didn't play. So well done Andy Murray for committing to play. The key win was by James Ward against the US; with the Bryans going to win the doubles, his win was crucual
  • Options
    He didn't play for us for three years
  • Options
    Well he did this year. And we've done really well