Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What Has Happend To Polish Pete

Comments

• Options

Can so much nonsense have ever been written about a player few of us have even seen? Talk about making a bloke feel welcome. None of us know the actual fee (reported as Euro700k) or more crucially how such fee was to be paid. We have even less idea how much he is being paid.

We do know De Graafschap are struggling financially and that their local press suggested PP was out of contract at the end of the season.

I refer the honourable gentlemen (and ladies) to my comments of Feb 23 on the earlier thread.

He did go to Portugal to join Benfica and local press in Nantes did have him lined up to join them on a 4yr deal. I have absolutely no idea whether he is the answer to our current challenges or if he is a complete duffer - because I have not seen him play.

Is he a target man? Does he run the channels? Does he play off the last defender? Does he have pace? Is he good in the air? Does he rely on crosses in the box? Is he simply an "in the box" finisher? NONE OF US have a "friggin" clue.

I can but repeat when he was approached by the club about joining for NEXT season HE asked whether he could come now, because he wanted to sort out his future and give himself time to acclimatise.

We have one new forward trying to adjust to the league and yet to find his feet (Reza) and we are trying to develop a different pattern of play, which may or may not suit his (PP) style of play. It is a big ask even for an experienced player. Putting another inexperienced young player into the mix maybe, for Powell, is a challenge too far.

Which is one reason we now have Tudgay.

Against Sheff Wed. we had Fox, Cousins, Poyet, Harriott - 4 players 20 or under. Look at the difference in the marks people then gave Harriott against Leicester. The difference is typical of a side relying on young players learning their trade at a senior level. Performances will be inconsistent, sometimes dramatically so, as different sides present different challenges.

Things that work one week don't the next you have to understand why and learn to adjust to the next challenge. It can be a very steep learning curve.

If people have created an expectation the lad was going to be our saviour this season then then they have only themselves to blame. It was bad enough people creating unrealistic expectations for youngsters starting out in the profession when they HAVE SEEN them play now we create an expectation BEFORE we have seen them play and lambast them as crap without them kicking a ball in anger.

Utter, utter nonsense - those "Football Manager" games have a lot to answer for.

Big clubs scoop up lots of promising youngsters, and often loan them out again, as they can afford to take a chance. We don't have that luxury, and while Reza and Piotr may not be ready for English football, they aren't going to get acclimatised playing the occasional U-21 game, and sitting in the stands. Sordell was brought up in the English game, but he's been ineffective for us, Church works hard but is hardly any better. Tudgay isn't matchfit as he's hardly played this season, whereas Piotr has got 16 in 20 games.
  • Options

Can so much nonsense have ever been written about a player few of us have even seen? Talk about making a bloke feel welcome. None of us know the actual fee (reported as Euro700k) or more crucially how such fee was to be paid. We have even less idea how much he is being paid.

We do know De Graafschap are struggling financially and that their local press suggested PP was out of contract at the end of the season.

I refer the honourable gentlemen (and ladies) to my comments of Feb 23 on the earlier thread.

He did go to Portugal to join Benfica and local press in Nantes did have him lined up to join them on a 4yr deal. I have absolutely no idea whether he is the answer to our current challenges or if he is a complete duffer - because I have not seen him play.

Is he a target man? Does he run the channels? Does he play off the last defender? Does he have pace? Is he good in the air? Does he rely on crosses in the box? Is he simply an "in the box" finisher? NONE OF US have a "friggin" clue.

I can but repeat when he was approached by the club about joining for NEXT season HE asked whether he could come now, because he wanted to sort out his future and give himself time to acclimatise.

We have one new forward trying to adjust to the league and yet to find his feet (Reza) and we are trying to develop a different pattern of play, which may or may not suit his (PP) style of play. It is a big ask even for an experienced player. Putting another inexperienced young player into the mix maybe, for Powell, is a challenge too far.

Which is one reason we now have Tudgay.

Against Sheff Wed. we had Fox, Cousins, Poyet, Harriott - 4 players 20 or under. Look at the difference in the marks people then gave Harriott against Leicester. The difference is typical of a side relying on young players learning their trade at a senior level. Performances will be inconsistent, sometimes dramatically so, as different sides present different challenges.

Things that work one week don't the next you have to understand why and learn to adjust to the next challenge. It can be a very steep learning curve.

If people have created an expectation the lad was going to be our saviour this season then then they have only themselves to blame. It was bad enough people creating unrealistic expectations for youngsters starting out in the profession when they HAVE SEEN them play now we create an expectation BEFORE we have seen them play and lambast them as crap without them kicking a ball in anger.

Utter, utter nonsense - those "Football Manager" games have a lot to answer for.

Took the words right out of my mouth....so much speculative nonsense here these days....everyone's a frigging expert and all based on hearsay
  • Options

There is clearly something wrong here...Tudgay comes on as sub in front of Reza....That's an awful lot of wages and transfer fee not involved yesterday...

Don't forget that Reza has TWO midweek internationals to play in this week. One tonight and one on Wednesday. Clearly, a young player featuring in four games in 8 days, including travelling to Iran, was just not going to happen.
  • Options

All this just goes back to the fact that we haven't strengthened the current squad though, doesn't it? Players who might be useful in the medium or long term were not the priority in January. We brought in six players in January and moved out four. These changes have left us weaker than before, because five of the six aren't playing, whereas three of the four were. That much we know. Take all the politics and personalities out of it and it's still bizarre.

Spot on, this sums it up for me. As AFKA has said on another thread it is a very "limp" effort to avoid relegation.
  • Options
    Grapevine FTW.

I don't think for a minute a kid who was scoring goals in a level of football that equates to the conference or below was bought for this season, but the football manager games seem to have reared a new generation of fans who can't detach reality from fantasy.

It does, however, as Airman points out, lead to suspicion that something odd is going on. Any fool could tell that when he bought the shysters out we needed about five players who could contribute there and then. With the exception of AA (who is doing what Stephens was) and Reda (who is doing what Kermorgant was, but not as well) we didn't get that.

I suspect more and more that Duchatelet's master plan is to pay less for us by being relegated this year, then throwing a bit more cash at us, or loan players from SL/Alcorcon/FC Nobend of Latvia next season in what he will probably feel is a 'sure thing' of getting promoted. That's a worry, as getting out of division 3 is a damn sight harder than he thinks.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

There is clearly something wrong here...Tudgay comes on as sub in front of Reza....That's an awful lot of wages and transfer fee not involved yesterday...

Don't forget that Reza has TWO midweek internationals to play in this week. One tonight and one on Wednesday. Clearly, a young player featuring in four games in 8 days, including travelling to Iran, was just not going to happen.
    Well surely it would then be logical to play him against Leicester, then rest him next weekend in the cup AFTER his 2 internationals!
  • Options
    Our problem is we haven't scored enough goals, that's why we are in the bottom 3. If Church and Sordell are part of the problem, They're not part of the solution.
  • Options

Our problem is we haven't scored enough goals, that's why we are in the bottom 3. If Church and Sordell are part of the problem, They're not part of the solution.

But what's the point of changing it for other players who aren't going to be part of the solution? Powell obviously knows that Sordell is pony, and doesn't think Parsley is ready yet. That's why we're stuck with Church and Reza. Hopefully Tudgay can make a difference.
  • Options
    Trouble is since Piotr has joined we've played Birmingham...Queens Park Rangers...Sheffield Wednesday...Leicester City and of course its just against Birmingham he's appeared.

Powell has seen what happened when he's put a youngster in a big game (Joe Pigott v Millwall) and has seen what it can do for confidence... Maybe he's felt that playing against those four clubs it could have done more harm than good playing him because we'd have to play so Defensive in the matches i.e.

Queens Park Rangers... They've got Dunne and Onouha as their Defence, he wouldnt win much against those two
    Sheffield Wednesday... We know what lumps they are
    Leicester City... Running away with the Division and in Moore have an England U21 Defender who was wanted by Fulham a few weeks ago.

Maybe when it comes to facing Sheffield United, Barnsley and Yeovil we will see Piotr because those clubs have the same passing style as us so it'll be an easier route into the First-Team for him rather than being thrown in the deep end of a swimming pool without arm bands.

Also its been mentioned on here that Piotr confirmed we firstly wanted him in the Summer yet it was him who asked to join now... How do we know Powell didnt turn round to him and say okay but be warned, I've just let Michael Smith leave the club because he wanted to play but I couldnt risk bloody a youngster what with us being in relegation trouble so I can give you match time but you'll probably need to wait till next season for some proper game time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Trouble is since Piotr has joined we've played Birmingham...Queens Park Rangers...Sheffield Wednesday...Leicester City and of course its just against Birmingham he's appeared.

Powell has seen what happened when he's put a youngster in a big game (Joe Pigott v Millwall) and has seen what it can do for confidence... Maybe he's felt that playing against those four clubs it could have done more harm than good playing him because we'd have to play so Defensive in the matches i.e.

Queens Park Rangers... They've got Dunne and Onouha as their Defence, he wouldnt win much against those two
    Sheffield Wednesday... We know what lumps they are
    Leicester City... Running away with the Division and in Moore have an England U21 Defender who was wanted by Fulham a few weeks ago.

Maybe when it comes to facing Sheffield United, Barnsley and Yeovil we will see Piotr because those clubs have the same passing style as us so it'll be an easier route into the First-Team for him rather than being thrown in the deep end of a swimming pool without arm bands.

its been mentioned on here that Piotr confirmed we firstly wanted him in the Summer yet it was him who asked to join now... How do we know Powell didnt turn round to him and say okay but be warned, I've just let Michael Smith leave the club because he wanted to play but I couldnt risk bloody a youngster what with us being in relegation trouble so I can give you match time but you'll probably need to wait till next season for some proper game time.

In his arrival interview he said that we wanted to sign him in the summer at first but decided we needed him sooner to help out.
  • Options
    Was it really Charlton that were "after" Piotr in the summer or RD ? If the fee reported was not fantasy then there is no way that it was Charlton that were in for him. Or have I missed something ?
  • Options
    I understand that RD network were tracking him for two years. I think this is what Richard Murray means when he alluded to CAFC having the benefit of a European scouting network. Google "Standard Liege Ghana players" and you will see the type of player they are in touch with.
  • Options
    Excellent post Grapevine; I agree with you 100%.
  • Options
    We have bought a young player with bags of potential for the future. What do people expect from the lad?
  • Options

We have bought a young player with bags of potential for the future. What do people expect from the lad?

Well, a lot on here told us that he would start banging in the goals straight away and it would be "Yann who?" as a result.

That's not Pete's fault as the expectations were foisted upon him but regardless that was what many told us to expect from the lad.

It is all very well saying "he's for the future" but at the time we'd just sold our main striker and "replaced" him with PP. So I can understand why, and said it at the time, people think we swapped a bird in the hand for two in the bush.

• Options

It's not what they expect from him, more the board.

What AB and AFKA is correct.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Taking the lad out of the equation, we have sold Yann and brought in Reza and Tudgay - in addition to Church and Sordell. Now we can make a very strong case to say we would rather have kept Yann, but wrong to look at the lad as a replacement. He was clearly bought for the future and in the future, we are unlikely to be complaining if he comes good!
  • Options

Taking the lad out of the equation, we have sold Yann and brought in Reza and Tudgay - in addition to Church and Sordell. Now we can make a very strong case to say we would rather have kept Yann, but wrong to look at the lad as a replacement. He was clearly bought for the future and in the future, we are unlikely to be complaining if he comes good!

I'm not complaining at all about him.

You asked "What do people expect from the lad" and I replied that some people expected him to replace Yann instantly.

We can't leave him out of the equation as 1. this is a thread about him 2. he was bought for what is a large fee for us so in fact meant another option or options weren't taken. Buying him in January meant we didn't buy someone else.

It's great that we are looking to the future and we MAY have a good player for next season. But we also needed a good player for this season. Reza hasn't done it yet and Tudgay came much later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    He was bought with RDs money I would imagine! And the profit will no doubt go in RDs pockets. I don't think buying him meant we didn't get a striker for the here and now in! We tried to get players and they didn't come off for whatever reason. I am merely saying that this could be an excellent acquisition, and maybe it is us who are at fault for having too high expectations of him in the short to immediate term.

I don't agree with us selling Yann - but am saying we shouldn't view this signing as a replacement!
  • Options

He is fantastic when unmarked in training.

Great! Now all we need is a team to play against that doesn't mark the opposition!
  • Options
    The reason why people saw him as Yann's replacement, is that he's the only one of our strikers who can theoretically play the target man role. Reza and Tudgay aren't target man players, both are players who'd probably like to play off a target man. Sordell isn't a target man, and Church is hardly ideal at the role either.
  • Options
    Breaking news......he has changed his name to Pete Church !
  • Options

Anyone know whats happened to him,

Thought it was strange being on the bench last game, as he knows how to score.

Not even on the bench today but Tudgay who signed yesterday and has hardly played this season is.

His performance in his game with the U21's would be the reason - barely got himself a touch

...one for the future...ahem
  • Options

He is fantastic when unmarked in training.

Great! Now all we need is a team to play against that doesn't mark the opposition!
    He could play for the reserves against the first team if the Leicester game is anything to go by ;-) he'd be banging them in for fun!
  • Options
    Polish Pete came round mine to do some work the other day for fifty quid!

He fully designed the schematics for a rocket and then he managed to come up with a cure for the common cold, all in my front room.

What did you think I was going to say, you daft racists.
  • Options

All this just goes back to the fact that we haven't strengthened the current squad though, doesn't it? Players who might be useful in the medium or long term were not the priority in January. We brought in six players in January and moved out four. These changes have left us weaker than before, because five of the six aren't playing, whereas three of the four were. That much we know. Take all the politics and personalities out of it and it's still bizarre.

Still disagree , I would rather have Astrit than Stephens , and we have more strength in depth , if yann got injured we had piggot , now we have Piotr reza and tudgay I think we are 100% stronger now .
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Still disagree , I would rather have Astrit than Stephens , and we have more strength in depth , if yann got injured we had piggot , now we have Piotr reza and tudgay I think we are 100% stronger now .
    I feel we are stronger as well. Also think we are playing better football.