Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby - Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Concede first and we lose.

Still MFC U18s 2 CAFC U18s 3 is what really matters.

We are still outside the drop zone but when will Sordell and Reza be rested? Rather go with Harriot which inconsistant as he can be has pace and is a wide player.

Glad to hear Piggy did OK.

Thanks to tricky and Tutt-Tutt for good reports. Tricky, do the Leeds preview pls.
  • Options
    It goes back further than the January.window AFKA. We got rid of Haynes, Fuller and more recently Kermorgant without decent replacements.
  • Options

Harriot needs to stop trying to be a gangsta and concentrate on football utterly heartless today two stupid mistakes cost us the game today

He did more in his first 10 minutes than the entire team did in the first 45 and actually attacked.
  • Options

It goes back further than the January.window AFKA. We got rid of Haynes, Fuller and more recently Kermorgant without decent replacements.

I agree Callum, but I'm done with debating the 'old lot'. Like Powell now, it just doesn't hold the same relevance imo.

These people now how the keys to our club and its future. I want to tub thumpingly back them 100% but I keep scratching my head at virtually every decision they have made so far.
  • Options

The loss of Haynes and fuller is easily forgotten and when we got sordell I was buzzing - really thought he'd do the business for us and be our main man but it hasn't worked out. If we had a half decent striker we'd be pushing promotion as our defensive record is decent. Been our problem ever since we got relegated from the prem tbh. No coincidence the season we had success was when we had a striker that got us 20 goals in BWP
  • Options
    Basically we have a weak squad who try their best. There is NO cutting edge bar the odd Harriott flurry and Dervite is a massive loss when not playing (as much as Wood tries).

In terms of tactics, I suspect JR tried to fit all of his most likely goalscorers into a system that MIGHT have contained Derby. It didn't work and with hindsight he might as well have gone 4-4-2 from the off. But then we haven't got a decent right midfielder or a pair of strikers that suit that system either......

Can't say who will go down but it isn't feeling good at the moment.

PS: CP had Kermorgant and we were near the bottom. JR has never had Kermorgant and we are still near the bottom. JR has altered the style of play...but maybe that is partly driven by the lack of a Kermorgant.....?
  • Options
    The quote from Riga recently where he said the goals will come from 'within the current squad' or words to the effect was, to me, an admission that the current board see relegation as an acceptable probability. We will not get enough goals to stay up.

Surely there were options available to us in the last six weeks that would provide more ability than Obika and Tudgay. We were willing to splash a relatively large amount of cash on midfielders but not on a striker other than Leon Best it would seem.

In my opinion we will be relegated. And it will be the refusal to bring in a decent centre forward that will be the reason.

• Options
    Still out of the bottom 3 (just).

Therefore still in our own hands.
  • Options
    Why didn't Powell Riga start Danny Green?

No attacking intent!
  • Options
    PA/RH in answer to your question from afar, Riga has been able to bring in Obika which CP couldn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

However the real criminal decision that seems to have passed with less scrutiny was the bonkers decision when we were unable to attract any worthwhile replacement was to spend money, rumoured decent money, on a lower tier Polish striker that two regimes don't see being anywhere near our first team.

No one has explained who was responsible for that transfer and we'll never know now how vital to the short term (this season) the funds allocated to that deal could have been better utilised.

Peter Parsley appears to have been bought by the network for the network - so perhaps that transfer was paid out of 'network development' funding, if such an animal exists?

Although I'll say it myself, that doesn't take into account the fact that he actually made a League sub appearance for our 1st team soon after he arrived.

Word has it that decent money was allocated to buy Max Gradel, SW and others who chose not to sign for Charlton.

Perhaps funding itself wasn't the issue - which brings us back to the myopic decision to sell Kermorgant without first having signed an experienced Championship striker.

• Options
    Disappointing but not unexpected defeat. The Blackburn equaliser in injury time was a touch.

How I see it now:
    3 wins = 50% chance of survival
    3 wins incl Barnsley = 75% chance of survival
    4 wins = 99% chance of survival
  • Options
    We are where we are now the squad cannot be changed or added to. Sordell and Obika have goals in them. It's Riga's job to get those goals out of them. 7points out of the next 12 is a must and minimum
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I agree Callum, but I'm done with debating the 'old lot'. Like Powell now, it just doesn't hold the same relevance imo.

These people now how the keys to our club and its future. I want to tub thumpingly back them 100% but I keep scratching my head at virtually every decision they have made so far.
    I think RD has had a bit of a reality check, it's pretty obvious he was left with a pretty poor hand, I would assume he then took advice from his 'sporting team' who underestimated the championship entirely.

You can understand his thinking on a very basic level, he's trusts the voices he knows, they for whatever reason strongly believe the reserve players could make an impact at this level. It hasn't quite worked in that respect - the chasing of Best, Wickham and Eagles may suggest a realisation that they appreciate it hasn't worked along with reports in the SLP of considerable playing staff investment.

I think it's hard to assume he was going to walk in and make all the right calls from the get go and the key really for me is him appointing someone he trusts, who has the experience and backbone to tell him when players aren't good enough or are good enough from the network who has the sole interests of Charlton at heart.
  • Options
    Pretty much how I see it @goonerhater
  • Options
    Sorry all, but I missed something recently it seems.

Petrucci was on the bench today. Never heard of him.

Anyone point me to a thread on him or link please.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I thought this thread was meant to be about today's match not a rehash of opinions on RD and the new regime, surely we have other threads of that don't we?
  • Options
    Agree with gh also. Lol

Think Cash and TJ, and Murray would have let the club go into admin and lose even more money?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were shown a footballing lesson by a well organised 'team' with quality ball playing skills. Their midfield was a joy to watch and if i'd been an independent, i'd have enjoyed watching their football.
    Some of our lot complained and even took the bait when goaded by the ridiculously close Derby fans in our stand. If was a tough first half, but the second gave us hope. When we took the game to them, we actually created chances and could have scored, which is much better than i saw us at Doncaster or United, when the scorelines didn't flatter us. We NEEEEED a striker who could hit a barn door from 10 inches. There was a lot of huff and puff from us when we took the initiative but the finishing was woeful. How Piggott can call himself a footballer, let alone a striker is beyond me. He makes Church look like Ronaldo. Harriot was out muscled, Poyet let loose passing creep in. In fact there were so many occasions that we passed the ball away in desperation it was disturbing. It was almost like they were scared to hold onto the ball or take a man on or even look up and pass with any determination.

Hamer.....What can i say. He was so frigged off with his defence i could understand how desperate he must be feeling and he rightly bollocked his team on more than one occasion. I don't really blame him for any of the goals. His distribution was the highlight of our breaking play with 50 yard balls at pace to feet. He came out with his head held high.

Wilson was positive never looked to give up and came to the fans at the end and got a clap. I think he knew he'd put in a shift and the fans knew it. Morro was solid for much of the game. The midfield is too inconsistent to get a result against a well organised unit.

It's still all in our hands points wise, but they need to materialize!
  • Options

I thought this thread was meant to be about today's match not a rehash of opinions on RD and the new regime, surely we have other threads of that don't we?

Fair point LL, prime suspect here. Just frustrated
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2014
    Derby were better than us. First half we huffed and puffed, almost gave it a go but Derby were just quicker and stronger. Second half was much the same. We did open with a bit of pressure but we didn't really look like scoring and when the 3rd came it was no real surprise. We just seemed lightweight and inexperienced compared to them, A Yann or Fuller up front could have helped but oh well.

I didn't know why AA the new bloke only played for 20 minutes or so. He does might offer a creative threat which was missing but by the time he came on it was too late really. Edit: Shows I'd lost focus by then. I really thought it was AA. :-)

On to Leeds now and then Reading. Good to see two easy games coming up. :-)
  • Options
    This was, of course, a let down after Forest. However, there are 0-3s that leave you in despair and, just occasionally, 0-3s that leave you with a bit of hope. I left disappointed, but with some hope.

Derby's first half performance was very impressive. They were much sharper than us and were always finding space. We, on the other hand, were a bit slow to close down and pedestrian with the ball. That said, the emphasis on playing to feet that we saw at Forest was still there. JR has talked about its not being possible to press hard for 90 minutes with so many games to play, and perhaps the aim was to conserve energy in the first half. If so, it didn't work, as Derby dominated and made it count.

The second half was very different. Our energy levels were much higher and we played with more intensity. Perhaps Derby considered the job done and just took their foot off the gas, but I thought we played quite well, and the third goal was a somewhat undeserved reward for this real improvement.

In terms of individuals:

Poyet was uncharacteristically error prone in the first half, but in the second half he was excellent, not only defensively and in retaining possession (as normal), but also driving forward more than I've seen previously.

The new loanee, Petrucci had ten minutes at the end and looked very accomplished. He looks after the ball and makes himself available. Much like Poyet, in fact, but without, I think, the defensive aggression.

Sordell offered very little. His challenges in the air were token; his efforts at hold-up play were easily swept aside; his closing down was effortless (I've been reduced to an attempted ironic misuse of the word – please give it a literal interpretation.) In all these respects he was shown up by Obika, who, while not a world beater, does look the best of our modest bunch of strikers.

Harriot. JR clearly requires the players to think a lot more about what they do with the ball. Almost all have adapted; even Morrison whose distribution of choice was to chip it forward somewhere in the vicinity of a red shirt is now more likely to choose an option that retains possession. Harriot, however, doesn't show any signs that he's doing the extra thinking.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The worrying thing is we are desperate for points and are getting thrashed by the top sides. Got to go out there and look to nick a point and not play with 3 attackers. JR's tactics will see us go down
  • Options
    When Perucci came on what role did he take?
  • Options
    Pathetic performence. Waste of time waste of money.
  • Options
    Phil said:

PA/RH in answer to your question from afar, Riga has been able to bring in Obika which CP couldn't.

I don't quite know what question that I asked that you think you answers, but since we are here, Another question then, this time from Eltham.

Are you suggesting that Obika refused to come and play for Powell but when Riga came along he said " oh yeah, Jose, I've always wanted to play for you?"

• Options
    Rob said:

I didn't know why AA only played for 20 minutes or so. He does offer a creative threat which was missing but by the time he came on it was too late really.

On to Leeds now and then Reading. Good to see two easy games coming up. :-)

Are you sure you were there ??? Must have been blind drunk if you were as AA didn't take part in the game as he was ill with flu.
  • Options
    Whichever way you look at it..................0.3 defeats are whoopings and are becoming all too regular. We can`t afford any more of this inept surrender!