Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby - Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options

Rob said:

I didn't know why AA only played for 20 minutes or so. He does offer a creative threat which was missing but by the time he came on it was too late really.

On to Leeds now and then Reading. Good to see two easy games coming up. :-)

Are you sure you were there ??? Must have been blind drunk if you were as AA didn't take part in the game as he was ill with flu.
    You're right. What was I thinking. It was the new player of course. It must have been the fucking struggle I had getting there what with the M1 holdup and all that. Got there 2 minutes before kickoff. Didn't know the subs and my eyesight isn't the best. Then straight back in the car for a crappy ride back.
  • Options
    KHA said:

Derby's first half performance was very impressive. They were much sharper than us and were always finding space. We, on the other hand, were a bit slow to close down and pedestrian with the ball.

Riga mortis?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Kap10 said:

21 posts before someone mentioned Powell in the post match thread, more than I expected TBF.

Does it count if it's Prague though, it's really a form of Tourette's
    Is that aimed at me.? Tourette's . Not good, if so

But Kap, it's not about Powell, nor Riga. It's about a management decision to change the manager but not to strengthen the squad, in particular to actually weaken the striker resource. There is no discernible improvement so far. So the decision was probably wrong.

And it will therefore probably result in relegation. A relegation which Airman Brown has pointed out is entirely unnecessary.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Rob said:

I didn't know why AA only played for 20 minutes or so. He does offer a creative threat which was missing but by the time he came on it was too late really.

Are you sure you were there ??? Must have been blind drunk if you were as AA didn't take part in the game as he was ill with flu.
    You're right. What was I thinking. It was the new player of course. It must have been the fucking struggle I had getting there what with the M1 holdup and all that. Got there 2 minutes before kickoff. Didn't know the subs and my eyesight isn't the best. Then straight back in the car for a crappy ride back.
    Sounds like you had a great day Rob mate !

• Options
    Are there necessary relegations?
  • Options
    Rigas thoughts...
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140329-riga-urges-ruthless-approach-1452611.aspx

In my opinion no-one would have expected to get anything more than 3 points from these 3 away games so today should not be overemphasised, Derby are probably the 2nd/3rd best team in the league footballing wise, but nonetheless i am confident we will stay up given what I've seen over the last 6 games, its not just about today.
  • Options
    I would rather we go for it and lose 3-0 against top teams than park the bus for 90 minutes and still lose 1 or 2-0.

These games don't particularly matter, Derby are 4th and beat Forest 5-0 last week, it is all about our games with the teams closer to us.

Outside of Reading all the remaining teams left to play us are below 10th.
  • Options

Rob said:

Rob said:

Sounds like you had a great day Rob mate !

LOL. It wasn't that bad. A win would have made it 300% better though.
  • Options
    The goals matter and may yet be decisive.
  • Options

Agree with Goonerhater.

RD grossly and/or his advisors grossly under estimated the Championship and over estimated Pete, Reza, Thuram, Nego and Koc.

RD didn't know CP and didn't take CPs word for it. In the end that lack of trust meant CP was going to be a goner whatever the results were and CP knew it.

He trsuts Riga hence the two signings.

Too little? Maybe. Selling Kermongant was a judgement call. Not repacing him was a serious and potentially damaging error

Too late? I'll tell you in May. We aint down yet and there is skill and fight in this limited squad.

KM can say "roland doesn't do failure" as much as she likes but that won't put a single point on the board.

Many Miles

Well said, Henry. Many miles indeed......

Back home now & only read the last couple of posts so here's my brief and maybe harsh views on this afternoon.

Not surprised to see that Churchy wasn't in the squad but pretty surprised to hear that Sordell & Reza were starting as I was unimpressed with both on Tuesday evening. However, with so many games coming up and a more winnable one at Elland Rd in 3 days time, I guess it's a case of needs must. Astrit also presumably rested for the next game?

It was obvious from the start that we were up against a side full of confidence as well as goals and this was looking like another Leicester. Plenty of opportunities to score but the Rams were initially wayward with their shots. No incidents in particular come to mind in the first half - suffice to say Sordell & Reza did not endear themselves to me & other travelling Addicks with sloppy play including non retention of the ball & poor passing. However, they were not alone in this against a set of players who clearly showed they're heading upwards this season. 2 goals conceded in front of us- and things not looking too positive unless Jose was bold enough to make some changes...

Mr F reckoned that Reza would be given 10 minutes or so following the half time "chat" but our manager had seen enough and young Callum was given another chance to show what he can do. At least CH showed he had more enthusiasm for the job in hand in his first 5 mins on the pitch than his Iranian colleague had in the previous 45. We started to look a more cohesive unit at last, stringing passes together, retaining possession and basically getting stuck in. When the lethargic MS was replaced by Joe P, there was a glimpse of the light that could be waiting at the end of the tunnel...

I've always been a fan of young Joe & his spell out on loan appears to have made him a stronger player - well done to all concerned with that decision, and the one to recall him. A player who MUST see clearly the limitations we currently have up front and who realises he can only increase his prospects of a place in the starting line up - a no brainer really. And take his opportunity today, he did. On this showing, I'd be happy to see him start up front with Obika on Tuesday evening and with Astrit back in the team , and the Italian Stallion ( sorry, Davide, couldn't resist it !) maybe having longer on the pitch, we might have a good shout for the points.

I can only say what I see - should have been on Catchphrase! - and today I saw a poor, disjointed 11 in the first half but a far improved 11 for most of the second. With the additions mentioned in despatches above, we could well have a team to drag us onwards & upwards over the next 5 weeks. It's clear ( well, to me at least) that more squad players will have to be involved at times in order to give tired legs a much needed rest - but maybe Jose has identified his best/preferred line up now and will ensure, injuries permitting that these players are prominent in the "must win" games ...just a shame there are so many of them !

3 points from a Leeds side seemingly in complete disarray would be an immense boost for everyone & we can only hope that their predicament doesn't improve before 10pm next Tuesday evening. If their fans are anything like the not so Merry Men of Nottingham, it won't take long for the mood to turn distinctly nasty....and we can only be the winners if that happens. It's a dog eat dog scenario with no holds barred - no time for empathy, I'm afraid - & we have to utilise every chance of an advantage that we perceive is on offer. We've been on the wrong end of some ugly battles at Elland Rd over the years....let's hope that our lads are ready, willing & able to be the aggressors this time & take no prisoners. IMHO this is now as important as the Yeovil game 7 days later....Let's put an increasingly wide gap between the Addicks and the relegation zone ! And keep it that way !!!!

Onwards & upwards !!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know they are pro footballers but I wonder with the games coming up thick and fast that the ones against the top sides we hold back a bit.

The players know the fixtures and what games NEED to be won. Might explain mentally our lacklustre performances against Derby and Burnley.
  • Options
    Fanny, AA had flu.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Fanny, AA had flu.

Thanks, Stevie.

Hope he flies back into the squad on Tuesday.

• Options

1StevieG said:

Fanny, AA had flu.

Thanks, Stevie.

Hope he flies back into the squad on Tuesday.

There's a lot of it about and If he feels like I do he won't but then again I'm old enough to be his Grandad and he is a fit professional sportsman.
  • Options

I know they are pro footballers but I wonder with the games coming up thick and fast that the ones against the top sides we hold back a bit.

The players know the fixtures and what games NEED to be won. Might explain mentally our lacklustre performances against Derby and Burnley.

Very worrying if true. We need to go out every game and try to win the points. Yeovil almost beat Leicester away but we rolled over except for a late equalizer. Same against Derby and Burnley.
  • Options
    Wiggins had a poor game - at fault for 1st goal. This season he doesn't look anywhere near how he looked before his injury.

Cousins looked good out on the right, just a shame his end product rarely produces anything!

Overall wasn't too bad just they had the extra bit of quality!

Proper fed up of our fans slagging off Sordell! While we have no-one better to replace him its pointless slating the bloke all game long! Piggot is not gonna be out saviour!

Completely Knackered after a bad drive there and back.. On to Leeds!
  • Options
    PA, more a case of Spurs not wanting him to come to us whilst CP was manager given his track record with loan players which I suspect you knew. Why Smith didn't get a chance under CP remains a mystery. I suspect under most managers he'd have been given a go especially in this wretched season.
  • Options

Phil said:

PA/RH in answer to your question from afar, Riga has been able to bring in Obika which CP couldn't.

I don't quite know what question that I asked that you think you answers, but since we are here, Another question then, this time from Eltham.

Are you suggesting that Obika refused to come and play for Powell but when Riga came along he said " oh yeah, Jose, I've always wanted to play for you?
    Prague I could well be wrong and I am sure that I will be corrected, but wasn't Obika at Brighton on loan meaning he was not available. Happy to be corrected!

There was an unsubstantiated rumour that Spurs were unhappy with the amount of game time that Obika got last year and were unwilling to loan him to us ..

• Options
    Phil said:

PA, more a case of Spurs not wanting him to come to us whilst CP was manager given his track record with loan players which I suspect you knew. Why Smith didn't get a chance under CP remains a mystery. I suspect under most managers he'd have been given a go especially in this wretched season.

Nope, sorry, I have no idea what you refer to. I do know that Powell brought Obika in last season, and he scored some goals. So I would have no idea what Spurs problem would be this time round. I've never seen Smith other than the odd clip of a goal on the FLS.

What do you make of Polish Pete?
  • Options

I would rather we go for it and lose 3-0 against top teams than park the bus for 90 minutes and still lose 1 or 2-0.

These games don't particularly matter, Derby are 4th and beat Forest 5-0 last week, it is all about our games with the teams closer to us.

Outside of Reading all the remaining teams left to play us are below 10th.

I have to disagree there. Throwaway games against teams we have no right to be getting points off are a luxury we gave up when we pissed away results against all and sundry earlier in the season. We didn't do the business against Barnsley, Yeovil, Doncaster, Birmingham, Millwall etc so we have to ignore the table and get 3 points against everyone we come up against at this stage. Otherwise we're looking at trips to Fleetwood next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014

Kap10 said:

21 posts before someone mentioned Powell in the post match thread, more than I expected TBF.

But Kap, it's not about Powell, nor Riga. It's about a management decision to change the manager but not to strengthen the squad, in particular to actually weaken the striker resource. There is no discernible improvement so far. So the decision was probably wrong.

And it will therefore probably result in relegation. A relegation which Airman Brown has pointed out is entirely unnecessary.
    Are you sure its not about Powell 'cause thats the message that I receive from you,afterall you raised the Powell Riga comparison.

Any way, you say probable, I say possible - reflecting our different attitudes I suppose. Very few of us would not agree that stupid mistakes have been made, by design or through naivety, certainly the striker situation.

I'd disagree that there is no discernible improvement, but then that is down to opinion and the view of the points that have been harvested from my perspective.

• Options
    The results against Derby and Burnley now make the Forest result even more important we won that game and Bournemouth.
  • Options

Don't like the way our goal diff is going. We might need that as our "extra point".

Before today we were 12 better than Barnsley - now it is 6.

But if Yeovil had won, they'd be on the same goal difference as us or better, depending on how many they'd beaten Barnsley by. If one of those two had to win today, better it was Barnsley.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

Are you sure its not about Powell 'cause thats the message that I receive from you,afterall you raised the Powell Riga comparison.

Any way, you say probable, I say possible - reflecting our different attitudes I suppose. Very few of us would not agree that stupid mistakes have been made, by design or through naivety, certainly the striker situation.

I'd disagree that there is no discernible improvement, but then that is down to opinion and the view of the points that have been harvested from my perspective.

Of course its about Powell.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Dreadful first half with Hamer making 2 good saves to keep the score line respectable. Wiggins and Jackson at fault for both goals. Dissapointed in Riga's set up in the first half with Obika on the left and the woeful Reza (The new Scott Houghton) on the right.

Better 2nd half with a 4-2-3-1, but the damage was already done. Though Grant in goal for Derby made 3 good saves as well. (Jackson first half, Harriott and Pigott Second half)

Hopefully a vast improvement at Elland Road on tuesday

Young Katriren was at Derby station on the way back and was having a conversation with Sydney Cheesewright. Maybe he was trying to sell a train ticket to Blackpool.
  • Options
    Spot on with your post - I remember a time when I first set up my business many years ago where I was working 7 days a week and I just couldn't get the motivation day in day out.

Our non stop 3 games a week routine results in players subconsciously taking their foot off the gas over 90 mins for games they are unlikely to win.
  • Options
    Prague - Spurs & Obika were unimpressed with the game time the player was given last season, he started just two games out of the ten he was available for. CP made reference to the fact that Obika had asked him why he wasn't starting. It was one one of the reasons Daniel Levy was asking a £17k pw loaning fee for Harry Kane at the beginning of the season, to ensure that if he went out on loan he would play.

Spurs were similarly unimpressed with Obika's lack of game time at Brighton this season and wanted to recall him & loan him elsewhere.
  • Options
    Since Riga has been in charge we have taken points from teams that we would have expected to do so.If CP had done the same we wouldn't be in danger of relegation and he more likely would still be manager.
  • Options

The latest Trust survey to be announced tomorrow will lead to 86% of CAFC fans wanting all Saturday games abolished and more midweek games.

Another grim Saturday, and again unable to build momentum following a great midweek win. The late equalizer at millwall the only saving grace of the day.

Not gonna make this easy are we.

Look forward to hearing.later from those there.

Wellwickman
    Derby 4th, Addicks 21st. Waste of time cup run coming back to haunt. Half the team are knackered. We need to get something at Leeds. Riga doing best to conserve energies in surrendering possession in the opening halves of games. Worked well against cherries & forest. Hopefully no-one been paid by Tuesday at Elland Road.

• Options
    Red God said:

Prague - Spurs & Obika were unimpressed with the game time the player was given last season, he started just two games out of the ten he was available for. CP made reference to the fact that Obika had asked him why he wasn't starting. It was one one of the reasons Daniel Levy was asking a £17k pw loaning fee for Harry Kane at the beginning of the season, to ensure that if he went out on loan he would play.

Spurs were similarly unimpressed with Obika's lack of game time at Brighton this season and wanted to recall him & loan him elsewhere.

Well, you are one of several saying similar things so I guess you must be right.