Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby - Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone tell me how much we paid for Reza,
    I understand he is here for 4 years (or has a 4 year contract),
    and who exactly recommend him to Charlton.
    Am just curious.
  • Options

Can anyone tell me how much we paid for Reza,
    I understand he is here for 4 years (or has a 4 year contract),
    and who exactly recommend him to Charlton.
    Am just curious.

What kind of wages is he on, and Polish Pete for that matter? RD says he wants to break even somehow sometime, but how many season tickets do we have to sell to pay Reza's wages for the next four years?
  • Options
    Reza will be sold in the summer I reckon. We're just a shop window for Roland's rejects.
  • Options
    Dire first half. Needed to score in our best period which was the opening 15 of the second half.
    Was turning out to be a forgetful weekend, then came down to breakfast this morning to find the Kingston university cheerleading team were staying at our hotel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Never expected anything today. Winning at Forest was better than drawing there and today. However two goals in six games says something simple to me. Riga is essentially unable to do anything Powell could not do with this squad, because this squad is simply not good enough, RD has not improved it, and up front it was weakened by the decision to sell Kermorgant.

The starting line up with three "strikers" looked odd to me. At Yeovil, I could understand it. At Derby????. . And two of those strikers having so far failed to justify any confidence in previous appearances?

When will people get it - we had no choice to sell the greedy Frenchman!
  • Options
    Green shoots of recovery Prague! Some see them and those who don't sense those that do are on psychotropic drugs!
    Take a look at the table and one sees that Burnley and Derby put together 20 wins each - one I hope to see CAFC in that position again.
    Right now we have a lot of football coming up and there will be subtle or perhaps big shifts in opinions and survival chances.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Before the concept gains any credence I want to counter the slight suggestion that players would not come to Charlton 'because of Powell', or that there was a problem with Powell as an individual or a manager.
    If there is any truth in that suggestion, it is likely to be because sussed agents and players could sense the Chris Powell's days were numbered under the new owner (doesn't take much working out does it?), after all Karel Fraeye was lurking about long before he got the gig. The cup run is what probably extended Chris at Charlton under the new regime.
    A widely respected manager, it beggars belief that players would refuse to come to Charlton because Chris Powell was in charge. Money maybe, our precarious position maybe, other factors maybe...but some kind of issue with Powell the man or the coach, I don't believe that for one moment.

Nobody said it was because there was a problem with Chris as a person but that loan players, who are loaned out for game time did not get it. Simple as that. I don't lknow the truth but I do know we have spent a lot over the last two years on alleged quality loanees who have had limited game time.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    We were just awful in the first half. We stood off and there was no pressure or pressing play to try and win possession back. The first goal was terrible and a perfect example of this. They are all to blame for that one and not just Wiggins. Same for the second really and I don't blame Jackson as he was the only one trying to get rid of it.

We were better for about 20 minutes in the second and Harriott, Pigott and Pettruci all tried to make things happen and get the ball forward. All had shots on goal unlike everyone except for Jackson in the first half. I'd like to see them all start on Tuesday and Saturday.

Reza and Sordell are useless and disinterested. I hope we don't see either of them near the team again. Obika needs to be played upfront. He is not a winger.
  • Options
    Our bi-polar season limps onwards .. we need rapid and wholesale improvement in effort, consistency, organisation and morale otherwise we will have to depend on other demoralised and inconsistent sides to take our place at Chesterfield and Crawley next season .. Yeovil and Barnsley are fighting the good fight .. we need to do the same as them and do it soon
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Whatever happens we need an overhaul in the summer and a manager who will get us putting teams under pressure and on the back foot. I'm not sure Riga is that man.
  • Options
    Didn't really expect anything yesterday but it was disappointing to lose badly which hits the goal difference. One thing yesterday has told us is that Barnsley are now the biggest danger behind us. Yeovil & Millwall now have it all to do to avoid the drop and also Birmingham come into the reckoning with a bad home defeat yesterday although Donny & Blackpool will be difficult to catch now. Hopefully the Leeds game has come at a good time as they obviously have problems like Forest. Still very much in our hands with 6 of the last 9 at home but we have to take advantage of that.
  • Options
    Can't help but wonder whether AA really did have flu?

Or was it the sort of flu that unfortunately struck down both Hamer and Alnwick before the Middlesbro' game that allowed Thuram-Ulien to make his debut?

Personally, I wonder whether AA was just being rested and saved for the Leeds game - one we were always more likely to win. In fact, I don't understand why one or two others - Jackson, in particular, Wiggins, maybe one of either Cousins & Poyet - were not rested on Saturday. One thing is fairly clear - quite a few players are going to be out on their feet long before the end of the season and keeping them fully fit for the games where we have the best chance of winning might not be a bad move.
  • Options
    Maybe AA was upset by the spat with Lawrie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"JonnyK"
    Spot on with your post - I remember a time when I first set up my business many years ago where I was working 7 days a week and I just couldn't get the motivation day in day out.

Our non stop 3 games a week routine results in players subconsciously taking their foot off the gas over 90 mins for games they are unlikely to win.

Wellwickman
    This stage of the season it is impossible to charge around for 90 mins. I don't hear the valley faithful chanting non-stop. There are voluble ones even in the upper west but they usually bawl when churchy & JJ are not chasing the keeper down after 25 mins.
    Many football fans don't understand the concept of playing your way into the game. It's all about having a 'fast start'. Great! As long as you understand there will be a slow, agonising second half conclusion.

• Options
    GD gap with Barnsley narrowed considerably. Hopefully Yeovil & the wall are gone after next two fixtures. We need a fifth party dragged into the mire.

• Options

We were shown a footballing lesson by a well organised 'team' with quality ball playing skills. Their midfield was a joy to watch and if i'd been an independent, i'd have enjoyed watching their football.
    Some of our lot complained and even took the bait when goaded by the ridiculously close Derby fans in our stand. If was a tough first half, but the second gave us hope. When we took the game to them, we actually created chances and could have scored, which is much better than i saw us at Doncaster or United, when the scorelines didn't flatter us. We NEEEEED a striker who could hit a barn door from 10 inches. There was a lot of huff and puff from us when we took the initiative but the finishing was woeful. How Piggott can call himself a footballer, let alone a striker is beyond me. He makes Church look like Ronaldo. Harriot was out muscled, Poyet let loose passing creep in. In fact there were so many occasions that we passed the ball away in desperation it was disturbing. It was almost like they were scared to hold onto the ball or take a man on or even look up and pass with any determination.

Hamer.....What can i say. He was so frigged off with his defence i could understand how desperate he must be feeling and he rightly bollocked his team on more than one occasion. I don't really blame him for any of the goals. His distribution was the highlight of our breaking play with 50 yard balls at pace to feet. He came out with his head held high.

Wilson was positive never looked to give up and came to the fans at the end and got a clap. I think he knew he'd put in a shift and the fans knew it. Morro was solid for much of the game. The midfield is too inconsistent to get a result against a well organised unit.

It's still all in our hands points wise, but they need to materialize!

Top post mate and your analysis/review of the performance is spot on. Good work.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Seems to me that Powell and Riga take a similar view on the merits (or not) of our squad.

Where are the screeching voices berating Riga for not starting with Danny Green? It was a weekly occurrence under Powell!

Note: I think Danny Green is next to useless personally other than, occasionally, as an impact sub and wish we'd kept Wagstaff who, in a non scoring team, at least has a vague idea where the goal is!

Waggy also did his defensive duties well yesterday it sounds that Wilson was exposed too often.

• Options

We were shown a footballing lesson by a well organised 'team' with quality ball playing skills. Their midfield was a joy to watch and if i'd been an independent, i'd have enjoyed watching their football.
    Some of our lot complained and even took the bait when goaded by the ridiculously close Derby fans in our stand. If was a tough first half, but the second gave us hope. When we took the game to them, we actually created chances and could have scored, which is much better than i saw us at Doncaster or United, when the scorelines didn't flatter us. We NEEEEED a striker who could hit a barn door from 10 inches. There was a lot of huff and puff from us when we took the initiative but the finishing was woeful. How Piggott can call himself a footballer, let alone a striker is beyond me. He makes Church look like Ronaldo. Harriot was out muscled, Poyet let loose passing creep in. In fact there were so many occasions that we passed the ball away in desperation it was disturbing. It was almost like they were scared to hold onto the ball or take a man on or even look up and pass with any determination.

Hamer.....What can i say. He was so frigged off with his defence i could understand how desperate he must be feeling and he rightly bollocked his team on more than one occasion. I don't really blame him for any of the goals. His distribution was the highlight of our breaking play with 50 yard balls at pace to feet. He came out with his head held high.

Wilson was positive never looked to give up and came to the fans at the end and got a clap. I think he knew he'd put in a shift and the fans knew it. Morro was solid for much of the game. The midfield is too inconsistent to get a result against a well organised unit.

It's still all in our hands points wise, but they need to materialize!

Top post mate and your analysis/review of the performance is spot on. Good work.
    I have to say that the comment about JP is well out of order IMHO.

• Options

How Piggott can call himself a footballer, let alone a striker is beyond me. He makes Church look like Ronaldo.

I have to say that the comment about JP is well out of order IMHO.

Yes, if the comment on Pigott is based on what he did yesterday, then it's very harsh.

This is the only time I've seen him, so I'm not qualified to judge him. However, within five minutes of coming on he had received the ball twice with a defender up his backside and retained possession and he had made a very decent effort on goal from a half chance. At that point he had already contributed more than the man he replaced.

Thereafter he didn't manage to get in the game much and I certainly would have preferred him not to have left so much of the closing down to Obika - after all he was only going to expend 35 minutes of energy. However, some positive signs I thought.
  • Options
    Piggy is the same as the other goalie not going to be given a chance regardless of what he does
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Piggy is the same as the other goalie not going to be given a chance regardless of what he does

Wrong on the keeper front, he had three chances and blew it, just my opinion like. He couldn't catch a cold if he tried, he can have mine though :-)