Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent

Comments

• Options
    I'm going tonight and I will definitely NOT be clapping Bent before or during the game .. thing is all you loyal CAFC supporters, he'll be playing for the OPPOSITION .. he might get a clap at the end of the game, there again he might not, it all depends on the result
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

dickplumb said:

My top ten Strikers I have seen play for us. 1) Eddie Firmani, 2) Derek Hales, 3) Clive Mendonca, 4) Darren Bent, 5) Matt Tees, 6) Andy Hunt, 7) Paul Walsh, 8) King Arthur Horsfield, 9) Ray Treacy, 10) Alan Simonson.

Surely League position has to be taken into account?

How many of these were in the top tier?

(I'm relatively young of a Charlton fan so didn't get to see most of these play!)
    These are just my favourite strikers I have seen play. If I had to choose the strikers from when we played in the top division it would be a very short list. The fifty three years I have watched Charlton, the majority have been spent outside of the top division.
  • Options
    I'll clap him, but i'm not gonna be there so i'll just be clapping at my PC.
  • Options
    I heard he was past it.

Great pen at the weekend by the way.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dickplumb said:

My top ten Strikers I have seen play for us. 1) Eddie Firmani, 2) Derek Hales, 3) Clive Mendonca, 4) Darren Bent, 5) Matt Tees, 6) Andy Hunt, 7) Paul Walsh, 8) King Arthur Horsfield, 9) Ray Treacy, 10) Alan Simonson.

Good list Dick, 4 other contenders would be:
    Paul Williams,Jim Melrose,David Whyte and Mike Flannagan.

to Answer Dazzler21 good point.

Top tier was Mendonca,Bent,Melrose,Hunt and Williams.

Without going to Handbook,
    Simonson stay was short, Melrose stay was a season,
    Whyte had the one good full season.
    Paul Walsh was sold when still young.

Those 14 names evoke so many memories for me.
    Charlton has been my life.

Being a young boy behind the goal when Matt Tees did a bullet header on a
    rainy night at the valley and the spray from the net covered me.

What a Myriad of marvelous Magical moments.

• Options
    Melrose was a season and a half, and without his 17 goals in 86/87 we would have sunk without a trace. Interesting that he never got a sniff of playing for the Scottish national team, yet a Scottish striker with those stats today would be the first name on the teamsheet.
  • Options
    Thanks Kenny, Jim was great it's a shame we couldn't get him to bring his family down or he would of stayed longer.
  • Options

I heard he was past it.

Great pen at the weekend by the way.

Crazy some people were saying that. All he needed was a run of games and a bit of confidence. Saying that, I hope Johnson rattles him 5 foot in the air first minute.
  • Options
    Darren Bent won't score tonight... He doesn't have an axe to grind, left on good terms with good money for the club, he did not have to bounce back from being "Charltonised" and is well liked by fans. He is no Judas.

We will still lose though !
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I have seen all these play, although Eddie only on his return to the Valley. Top 5 all very close and there are good arguments for each of them. Bent did it in the Prem and that just edges it for me.

Matt Tees winning the first header at Arsenal was agreat moment - just had a flash back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

Best centre forward we have ever had?

Certainly one of them. Of the ones that I've seen play, I'd probably only have Hales and Mendonca ahead of him. That said, I'd say he was the most 'complete' centre forward and had pretty much everything.
    I know a guy who knows a guy who coached Darren Bent. He said that he's a lovely guy, honest, genuine, obviously a fierce finisher... but he does not have a footballer's brain. He's just a fast guy with a heck of a finish. He said no matter what they did to train him, he doesn't read the game or have a knack for finding other people, general team stuff... He just shoots really well.
  • Options
    I can believe that, I'd say he more than made up for them in tenacity, desire, strength and speed. Bit like Ian Wright. 100% goalscorer and as long as you give those sort of players service they are worth ignoring the deficincies
  • Options
    that was good enough for me
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Redrobo said:

Certainly one of them. Of the ones that I've seen play, I'd probably only have Hales and Mendonca ahead of him. That said, I'd say he was the most 'complete' centre forward and had pretty much everything.
    I know a guy who knows a guy who coached Darren Bent. He said that he's a lovely guy, honest, genuine, obviously a fierce finisher... but he does not have a footballer's brain. He's just a fast guy with a heck of a finish. He said no matter what they did to train him, he doesn't read the game or have a knack for finding other people, general team stuff... He just shoots really well.
    That's interesting. You can say that about a lot of footballers these days. Athletes first, footballer second. Theo Walcott springs to mind.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Darren Bent was always going to be way too good for Championship. Given a run of first team games and support from fans, players and a manager playing to his strength, he's still a top half Premiership goalscorer.

agree, just lost his mojo at Villa. I reckon Sherwood wishes he were still there.
  • Options
    My son met Darren at the training ground and when he was a mascot and he was a genuine nice guy. I will always wish him well -apart from when he plays us of course. He is quality at this level so will be a threat, although an in form Vetokele is also a threat.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

that I have seen, yes, and I include Killer & Super in that

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Redrobo said:

sure he wasn't talking about Harriott?

• Options
    Bent should be at Chelsea, he's better than Costa
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Bent should be at Chelsea Man United, he's better than Costa Falcao

dizzee said:

Bent should be at Chelsea Liverpool , he's better than Costa Lambert

dizzee said:

Bent should be at Chelsea Tottenham he's better than CostaSoldado

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really hope no one clapped him last night. If they did it would've been #cringe and your not pwopa charlton and not allowed to be in my super exclusive manly club (no homo).
  • Options
    Bents best for me.did it in premier and 16.5 million.how did he not go to that World Cup.I feel disappointed watching us sometimes.but I think England are worse we ain't had a decent World Cup since Italian 90.
  • Options

Bents best for me.did it in premier and 16.5 million.how did he not go to that World Cup.I feel disappointed watching us sometimes.but I think England are worse we ain't had a decent World Cup since Italian 90.

Bit early to be on the sauce isn't it?
  • Options
    Depends what sauce. Sorce
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Saws?
  • Options

Depends what sauce. Sorce

Source?
  • Options
    was offside for derbys goal
  • Options
    Incredible stuff, never thought this day would ever come. Especially a day like today. http://m.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Darren-Bent-Scott-Parker-set-emotional-Charlton/story-26265944-detail/story.html
  • Options

Incredible stuff, never thought this day would ever come. Especially a day like today. http://m.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Darren-Bent-Scott-Parker-set-emotional-Charlton/story-26265944-detail/story.html

Cough!
  • Options

Ha ha ha, thought Sevenoaks Chronicle wouldn't even bother with the April Fool stuff.