Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options

9:36 from Bexleyheath cancelled due to shortage of train crew. Since when has that been an acceptable excuse. Imagine going on holiday and half hour before your flight being told sorry can’t go today, pilots not showed up.

Planes are constantly delayed for hours because the incoming flight hasn't arrived.

Everybody seems too overawed by the airline industry to complain about it!

Surely they should have spare planes and pilots to cope with this situation?
  • Options

9:36 from Bexleyheath cancelled due to shortage of train crew. Since when has that been an acceptable excuse. Imagine going on holiday and half hour before your flight being told sorry can’t go today, pilots not showed up.

Because the airlines would have to pay a shed load of compensation mate. Southeastern wouldn't so don't give a flying fuck about passengers.
  • Options

Pretty sure that has probably happened - more than once.
  • Options

They depend on drivers working overtime to roster the full timetable, particularly at weekends. If the weather's nice, some drivers prefer to enjoy the sunny day rather than put in overtime. Result: cancellations.

I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to try and negotiate with the unions to cut overtime dependence and introduce flexible working patterns. Meanwhile, the passengers can just stand about, sweating in the sun, waiting for a train that might turn up when it feels like it.
  • Options

Pretty sure that has probably happened - more than once.
    Yeah it was a shit analogy to be fair but the point remains, it’s no excuse making me late for work because they don’t have enough staff to run an advertised and paid for service.
  • Options

How do you know Mr Wears-the-same-shirt-every-day is wearing the same shirt from yesterday?

i.e. I've three white shirts at home, one light blue and a grey one that I wear over the course of the week... Of course if I wear the three white ones on consecutive days it makes me look like I'm wearing the same one

Fair point. I am sure it's the same shirt every day. It's a short sleeved checked shirt in grey

Does anyone else, who get a a regular train and sees the same people on there most days, come up with names for the people you see?

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Clears-his-throat-every-six-seconds

Mr I'm-a-grown-man-but-I-wear-a-Manchester-United-rucksack-every-day

Madame Moans-down-her-phone-about-her-kids

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

Mr Wears-the-same-shirt-every-day

Miss Spends-the-whole-journey-doing-makeup-and-somehow-looks-even-worse-than-when-she-started

And finally Creepy Mr Murder

I worry about you mate
    It's what my commute has driven me to. It way to stay (semi) sane.

In other news it's now only 5 weeks until I move out and no longer have to do this commute. I will however be using southern to get to Victoria instead. Positive is it's only 17 mins on the train and theu are every 10 mins at rush hour. I Also have a tube option not too far away if southern have one of their little strops.

Can't wait. Will cut 2 hours off my travel time a day. I'll have no idea what to do with myself.
    And you'll be 10 minutes down the road from me, so lucky you.
    Gonna be a little further mate. Ended up in Streatham coz its cooler than Bromley and my hipster persona will fit in far better there! ;)
    Ha, do agree that Bromley is a bit average.

Beckenham is the place to be...
    Too near palice, Shortlands is the gaff.

Nice boozer is the Shortlands Tavern as well.
  • Options
    Easily the hottest I’ve ever been on a train at the moment. Zero air con on my carriage, not even them poxy twist things above your head that blow out air with the strength of a 104 year man.
  • Options

Easily the hottest I’ve ever been on a train at the moment. Zero air con on my carriage, not even them poxy twist things above your head that blow out air with the strength of a 104 year man.

Mine was like a sauna too. At least you didn’t have to sit opposite @ricky_otto though.
  • Options

Mine was like a sauna too. At least you didn’t have to sit opposite @ricky_otto though.
    Init good eh? I helped you on to the train, saw you to your seat (well the 2 that you take up) and you treat me like this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How do you know Mr Wears-the-same-shirt-every-day is wearing the same shirt from yesterday?

i.e. I've three white shirts at home, one light blue and a grey one that I wear over the course of the week... Of course if I wear the three white ones on consecutive days it makes me look like I'm wearing the same one

Fair point. I am sure it's the same shirt every day. It's a short sleeved checked shirt in grey

Does anyone else, who get a a regular train and sees the same people on there most days, come up with names for the people you see?

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

Miss Spends-the-whole-journey-doing-makeup-and-somehow-looks-even-worse-than-when-she-started

I worry about you mate

In other news it's now only 5 weeks until I move out and no longer have to do this commute. I will however be using southern to get to Victoria instead. Positive is it's only 17 mins on the train and theu are every 10 mins at rush hour. I Also have a tube option not too far away if southern have one of their little strops.

Can't wait. Will cut 2 hours off my travel time a day. I'll have no idea what to do with myself.
    Gonna be a little further mate. Ended up in Streatham coz its cooler than Bromley and my hipster persona will fit in far better there! ;)

Each to their own, but I can't stand that place! Much prefer The Chancery up the road.
  • Options

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

I worry about you mate

Same guv’nor as the Swan too. Nice bloke is Geoff.
  • Options
    Bloke used to get on my train at Bearsted and promptly go straight to the loo for at least 10 mins. Named him ToiletMan. Funnily enough, saw him in the pub a few weeks back. As soon as I did, he got up and went to the bogs.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Bloke used to get on my train at Bearsted and promptly go straight to the loo for at least 10 mins. Named him ToiletMan. Funnily enough, saw him in the pub a few weeks back. As soon as I did, he got up and went to the bogs.

Possibly got chron's, colitis or IBS.
  • Options

Planes are constantly delayed for hours because the incoming flight hasn't arrived.

If an airline like Virgin only have a fleet of about 36 aircraft, I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
  • Options

If an airline like Virgin only have a fleet of about 36 aircraft, I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
    It does

One of my mates is a pilot - he regularly has standby duty, where he has to knock around Gatwick in case a regular pilot is sick or doesn't turn up. I asked him how often he actually flies when he's on standby, it's about 1 in 4
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Fucking hate getting the train in a Saturday. The people are even worse than on a week day. Utter c**ts.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Fucking hate getting the train in a Saturday. The people are even worse than on a week day. Utter **nts.

What are you nicknames for these ones?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Fucking hate getting the train in a Saturday. The people are even worse than on a week day. Utter c**ts.

What are you nicknames for these ones?
    I said - utter c**ts. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

I worry about you mate

Each to their own, but I can't stand that place! Much prefer The Chancery up the road.
    The Jolly Woodman next door is decent.
  • Options

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

I worry about you mate

Plus the Pelton Arms in Greenwich if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options

So far I've got.

Mr Cuts-his-own-hair

Mr Massive-trousers

MR Smelly-c**t

I worry about you mate

Plus the Pelton Arms in Greenwich if I'm not mistaken.
    Correct.
  • Options
    I had a six seat bay all to myself on my commute this morning. I pointed four of the (working!) air vent things at me, and had the windows open.

Surprisingly, I was very comfortable. Late, but comfortable.
  • Options
    my train actually had the heating on this morning at 6.15am.....I kid you not.

going home in this heat is bordering on the unbearable, even for the 25 mins I have to suffer on the train.
  • Options
    Stuck outside Lewisham. No air con, everybody sweating, unbearable heat. One month to go and i am.done with this thankfully.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I had a six seat bay all to myself on my commute this morning. I pointed four of the (working!) air vent things at me, and had the windows open.

Surprisingly, I was very comfortable. Late, but comfortable.

Did you put your feet up on a seat?! ;)
  • Options
    Couldn’t see anything and just shot through as normal on the 4.15 from cannon st to welling

That’s not to say there isn’t a fire, just that it doesn’t appear to be holding anything up.......for now!!
  • Options
    They're probably just keeping the fire under control until about 4.59 then it will become a fucking inferno and the trains will all grind to a halt yet again.