Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    This year I have decided to claim for all the delays, cancellations, strike days and stick the money in my PayPal account. Since the beginning of January I’ve had £89 back off my monthly £218 ticket. 
    Good to see that they have paid for me to travel quite a few times this month. 
  • Options
    £100 + cost of single fare if caught travelling without a ticket from today. No press announcements that I saw. 
  • Options
    £100 + cost of single fare if caught travelling without a ticket from today. No press announcements that I saw. 
    There has been lots of stories on the local news reporting it over the last few weeks 
  • Options
    I don't think one of my trains has been on time since the turn of the year. I'm making a point of doing all of my delay repays no matter how small the amount. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    There are lots of issues regarding these strikes but I work in the industry and I think I can nail some of them. Firstly pay, the rail companies want to settle but have been forced by the government not to, this is because the rail companies signed a contract in April to be part of 'GREAT BRITISH RAILWAYS' this means the companies run the trains but the government tells them what they can spend. Pensions, the Great British Railways project is nationalisation by stealth and the government wants to do exactly what they did to the teachers and Police, work longer for less pension. Driver only trains, we are used to this type of working because we have had trains for a good while with the equipment to run the system, go further north or west and you will find that is not the case, so the government are ignoring the safety requirements of DOO and are bringing it in anyway. Redundancies, compulsory, April 2024. There is more but it's about altered working practises and forced weekend and nightwork. Make of it what you will, I would strike if that were happening to me, the cost of the railways before privatisation was £13 billion to the taxpayer it's now £20 billion at the same rate, once again you decide if that's value for money. 
    Network Rail was brought under state control on 01 September 2014, so has been quietly nationalised for approaching ten years. 
    Great British Railways was the planned successor to NR following the Williams-Shapps Review, when the latter was Transport Secretary and will remain under government control, at least in the short term.
    Legislation to instigate GB Railways is being delayed, possibly because the government do not know what to do with the railways, following the decrease in passenger numbers most operators are still experiencing post Covid. 
  • Options
    A major review of passenger safety and the number of train services at London Bridge station was being held on Thursday after massive overcrowding left-rush hour travellers in fear of being crushed.

Thousands were caught in chaotic scenes for more than an hour from 5.30pm on Wednesday, which Network Rail blamed on train delays and cancellations caused by a trespasser further down the line at Hither Green.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-bridge-station-overcrowding-safety-review-southeastern-trains-network-rail-b1055743.html

• Options
    Sounds very scary and close to a disaster. Good to know the MD is on top of things;

"Steve White, Southeastern’s managing director, told the Standard on Thursday that the review with Network Rail would be wide-ranging. It will consider whether future incidents could be dealt with more quickly and customer care could be improved.

He said Southeastern was looking to quickly increase train capacity in the evening rush hour, by laying on more services through London Bridge and/or longer trains."

So those timetable changes forcing more to change at London bridge maybe not such a good idea. Lack of effective crowd simulation also noted by the network rail rep in the video.
  • Options
    Sounds very scary and close to a disaster. Good to know the MD is on top of things;

"Steve White, Southeastern’s managing director, told the Standard on Thursday that the review with Network Rail would be wide-ranging. It will consider whether future incidents could be dealt with more quickly and customer care could be improved.

He said Southeastern was looking to quickly increase train capacity in the evening rush hour, by laying on more services through London Bridge and/or longer trains."

So those timetable changes forcing more to change at London bridge maybe not such a good idea. Lack of effective crowd simulation also noted by the network rail rep in the video.

Brewery, piss up.
  • Options
    Today was the first time I've gone in from New Eltham since the timetable change (I've had some time off and been avoiding the office in between). Nothing like those reports yesterday but absolute shit show.

They've halfed the number of peak time trains to according to them "make it more reliable and prevent delays" of course adding 5 mins to the stated journey time will help with delays (still managed to be 10 mins late this morning) and the only thing reliable is the overcrowding that occurs. 

Absolute arseholes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moved from new eltham recently and getting Elizabeth line now, so glad I'm missing this shit show
  • Options
    I cant remember the last journey home that ran on time. London Bridge trains are delayed every evening. Its a shambles even for SE level.
  • Options
    The reduction of the Crayford to Abbey Wood service in the morning is a right pain. Now only one train between 7-8am and the two days this week that I’ve attempted to get it, cancelled. One day it just didn’t turn up, nothing on the board, no announcement, ghost!
  • Options
    Run by the operator of last resort 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I recently contacted South Eastern to ask why the trains don’t stop at Albany Park on the Dartford via Sidcup line. And the response was … 

On some services, there is insufficient time to stop trains at every station on the Sidcup line given the constraints at Dartford. Albany Park is the least used station on the line. Sidcup and Bexley are a little over a mile away, both with a four trains per hour service.

Well, there you have it. There isn’t time to stop at Albany Park. That response is rude and insulting. Do they expect people with disabilities to do that journey. The change in timetable has already added 30mins to my daily commute. I’ve made a complaint 
    It’s bollocks mate. Not only do half the trains not stop there but there’s only 1 train in the morning that stops at Lewisham. Thankfully I only go in once a week but have to go back up the line to Bexley to catch a Lewisham train.

Have heard they’re talking about shutting the station completely, which would be a nightmare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    [Long detailed comment snipped - AW]
    That is a masterpiece. You will probably get a mention on spanner’s.com for that. 
    Seriously you know more than most, good of you to explain.  
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Proper Charlton 🤭
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Can we stop quoting Rick's comment!! 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Post of the year
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Not sure I follow, please expand? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Times flies by when you on a South Eastern Train when I ride on the foot plate stuck outside Lewisham once again
  • Options
    @shirty5 I'm not sure that quite scans, but I applaud the Half Man Half Biscuit reference.
  • Options
    What southeastern need to take from RickAddick's analysis is that they need to noisily and relentlessly nag the "customers" to move up/down the platforms to areas with more space, when awaiting trains.
    We always see it at Charlton station after matches, a knot of halfwits on about a third of the available platform space with the other 2 thirds practically deserted.  Not helped by the bullying halfwits in blue on overtime who take no action to aid passenger safety preferring to threaten to arrest anyone who suggests they actually earn their wages rather than close the naffing gates and needlessly delay our homeward journey.  Arseholes all.
    The vast majority of British rail travellers are egregiously selfish bone headed morons with entirely self-defeating self absorption.  They don't get out of anybody else's way ever, and never walk a single step further than they imagine is absolutely necessary with no regard whatsoever for how it might actually improve their own lot.  We always see it on the tube - slack jawed thick browed numpties crammed in by the doors with acres of empty space mid-carriage.  Most congestion on platforms is hyper localised and mostly unnecessary, if anybody actually just kept moving until they found a bit of space, they'll still catch their train but they might have walked 10 or 15 meters.
    I have to commute from time to time, I go to SE7 by train sometimes, I've done London Bridge and the Northern Line in both rush hours and the problems are hugely amplified by the bovine passengers.
    southeastern in its last 3 or 4 guises has been relentlessly appalling
    the current transport regime is just as bad
    but most of those commuters could improve their lot dramatically by being even 10% less of an arsehole when things get sticky