Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RUMOURs - Shiny and new - Spring/Summer 2014

Comments

• razil said:

why would we want someone back who refused to play for Charlton and ended a run which could have led to our highest ever finish?

Either you think we'd have won the league if Parker had stayed or you don't know your history

• This new striker ... i bet he's from standard liege ....
  • razil said:

why would we want someone back who refused to play for Charlton and ended a run which could have led to our highest ever finish?

Either you think we'd have won the league if Parker had stayed or you don't know your history

fair play - in modern times, doesn't really detract from the point though does it
  • edited July 2014

Simon Church is on the verge of joining Chelsea on a 3 year deal, a bid of £8 million has been accepted and part of the deal is that he will be NOT BE loaned back to Charlton until January

I think this is what you meant... ;-)
  • I think we would have finished 4th rather than 7th if Parker had stayed.
  • It's Been said it's a striker we haven't been linked with before so it can't the liege guy coz we have been link with him this summer
  • edited July 2014
    Riscardo said:

This new striker ... i bet he's from standard liege ....

I bet he's shit....(:
  • What Henry was saying is that our best ever finish in the top division was 2nd. Some on here obviously do not know their history.

Finishing 7th that year was our highest Premier League finish and sure we could have finished higher. On that last day if we had lost to Southampton we could have finished 13th, the points gap between 6 clubs was that tight.
  • vffvff
    edited July 2014
    The main point is that Scott Parker leaving undermined a potential best finish in the modern era in the Premiership. I agree with Razil on that. Any opinion on that Henry ? (or you just wanted to be precise on the best league finish ?)

I wonder how many Addicks fans still around / reading CL watched a few games of that season ? It would be great to hear from them.

---------

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/history/post-ww1

Charlton Athletic : History 1918 to 1945
    Charlton Athletic Information

English Division One (old)

Best finish 1936 / 37

Season L# Pos P W D L F A W D L F A Pt ±

1938-1939 1 3 42 16 3 2 49 24 6 3 12 26 35 50
    1937-1938 1 4 42 14 5 2 43 14 2 9 10 22 37 46
    1936-1937 1 2 42 15 5 1 37 13 6 7 8 21 36 54

• Sponsored links:

• vff said:

razil said:

I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. Your point is a bit confused. You need to explain a bit more clearly.

In that season, Charlton were 4th and had played a lot of the top teams away. Charlton were in good form and 4th was a distinct possibility. Razil is not suggesting that Charlton would have won the league. Scott Parker leaving as he did on the last day of the transfer window undermined the second half of the season and Charlton then had a lower finish. Razil's recollection is accurate. That was the high point of the club and it was downward after that for some years.
    No one denies that Parker's departure undermined the second half of the season.

The point I was making, and that Razil has already conceded, is that if we had finished 4th it WOULD NOT have been our best finish EVER.

We had already finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top flight.

So no confusion at all thanks.

So it WASN'T the "high point" of the club as you claim, certainly not in terms of league position.

We have a proud history that stretches back before the portacabins and there was even a Charlton Athletic before the Premier League was created.

• vffvff
    edited July 2014
    Fair enough Henry. You are correct on the precise point that you are making. No need to splutter any coffee. Not best drinking and bad for the keyboard - not that I am suggesting you are doing that ;-). You agree with Razil's post about Scott Parker and thats great.

We have established that Charlton was runners up and a force before the Second World War. Top team during the second world war as well. Scott Parker leaving fecked up a potential top 4 finish, best for 60 years or so.

I think it may be good not to good worked about this as this is supposed to be a rumours thread.
  • vff said:

Flair enough Henry. You are correct on the precise point that you are making. No need to splutter your coffee. Not best drinking and bad for the keyboard. You agree with Razil's post about Scott Parker then Henry thats great. I think it may be good not to good worked about this as this is supposed to be a rumours thread.

You seemed to be the one getting hot under the collar and/or confused.

I already knew my history : - )
  • Leave the Parker crap for another thread please.
  • vffvff
    edited July 2014

Leave the Parker crap for another thread please.

Gladly. Thats good for me.
  • vff said:

The main point is that Scott Parker leaving undermined a potential best finish in the modern era in the Premiership. I agree with Razil on that. Any opinion on that Henry ? (or you just wanted to be precise on the best league finish ?)

I wonder how many Addicks fans still around / reading CL watched a few games of that season ? It would be great to hear from them.

---------

Best finish 1936 / 37

From 1936 to 1939, only 5 defeats, a truly remarkable record. This along with the two FA Cup finals immediately after the war only makes me think that we would have been a regular top four club if the war did not intervene...
  • Thats only 5 defeats at home
  • I am sure in the absence of any rumours that Charlton supporters are allowed to remember the best period in Charlton's history, Silent Addick :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Evina to Doncaster.
  • vff said:

---------

Best finish 1936 / 37

From 1936 to 1939, only 5 defeats, a truly remarkable record. This along with the two FA Cup finals immediately after the war only makes me think that we would have been a regular top four club if the war did not intervene...
    Unfortunately it was just our away form that seemed to let us down even back then
  • Why do I always get excited when I see lots of new post on this thread?
  • Sollied said:

Polish Pete to STTV is a done deal

Thanks for everything PP!!
    Move on.

• Redhenry said:

Why do I always get excited when I see lots of new post on this thread?

Good question. Why do you?

You know it's filled with everything but a proper rumour, right?

;o)
  • Evina to Doncaster.

I thought he went to Crawley!
  • Evina to Doncaster.

Doncaster came in at the last minute and offered higher wages.
  • Donny offered him more money.
  • Evina to Doncaster.

Doncaster came in at the last minute and offered higher wages.

Donny offered him more money.

Has no-one told you two that it's rude to be sitting round the dinner table racing to see who can post the same thing on CL??
  • New striker is George Tucudean from SL according to Charlton News on twitter (6'1")
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!