Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options

No word on current players who are out contract then. Just new players. Interesting. Fair play to her for coming out when it should be Roland.

If Duchatelet was not going to open his trap it left her.
    Why did it take them so long to come out with this rubbish anyway?
  • Options
    Brian said:

Don't know why the club bother really. Some people moan when there is no communication yet when Katrien Meire does issue a statement it is taken apart as some kind of propaganda or saying nothing at all. Not sure what else could realistically be said.

Could have been said a lot bloody earlier. Also, where is an introduction interview from Peeters?
  • Options

This is an absolute no win for KM and RD. No matter what she says - and by and large it will be her as we have already been told she is RDs eyes on the club - there are a percentage of people on here and other social media channels that have decided that RD and anyone associated with him is no good for CAFC.

There are a number of posters on here who are primed to jump on any snippet of gossip, rumour or fact and pour scorn on it as it suits their anti RD agenda.

This statement is by and large a thank you to Riga and is probably reactive. So what? People moaned that nothing was said when Riga left and now they are moaning because something was said.

I don't understand the dissenters, to be honest I don't really want to. Nothing I say or RD does is going to change their thinking.

I've nailed my colours to the mast and said I'll judge when the transfer window closes. If I don't like what I see then, I'll voice my concerns.

The sooner people accept that the club is no-longer being run in a "traditional English football club" way the sooner they'll be able to start sleeping at night.

RD has his own vision and plan, he has spent so far a minimum of 14m probably much more to give him the right to realise that vision. Just because it doesn't fit with the utopia which some on here "expect" doesn't mean it won't work.

People need to keep a watching brief and if there is any reason to speak out somewhere down the line fair enough. Said before and I'll say it again RD is well in credit at the moment and ultimately for a vociferous few he will never be in credit because he a) sacked Powell and b) had the cheek to question the manager of his 14m asset in relation to key decisions.

I don't believe RD is going anywhere in the short term, so will try and buy into his vision. I still believe he'll be good for us in the long term. Nothing he has done so far suggests otherwise.

Thanks Clem - saved me the time of banging my head against a brick wall for 30 minutes coming to the same conclusion.

Shocked by the number of people who seem to be assuming nothing but negativity about JR going and BP taking on the role of Head Coach. I know several people who have successfully filled a role on a stop gap basis and then didn't get the job.
  • Options
    Keith Peacock for one
  • Options

ross1 said:

Rothko said:

I thought everyone was about to walk away from the training ground project until RD came in and backed it, and that the plans had stalled while the spivs ran out of money.

I think one issue is that the spivs forced the person who put the business plan together and had all the contacts out of the trust. Consequently, RD may have to fill the gap if it gets built, but I'm not aware he has committed to this. Just as likely it won't be built?
    Are you saying that all this talk about academy players is his priority is a lie, and that he will not be completing the training ground project?
    I'm saying that the business plan was constructed to have no capital contribution from the club and that as approved by the council it predates RD. If the money isn't there or RD wants to build something larger, as has been suggested, he'll have put some funding in, because the main grants are based on match funding. I'm sure he's keen on the academy, but I'm not aware he has committed any capital to it as yet.

There's a perception he is making a major investment, but I think at present it's based on a misunderstanding.
    I thought the current application was significantly larger than the original plans?

You don't normally recommission a project of this scale unless you at least expect to go forward with it. I assume time will tell.

• Options
    It is a well constructed statement, perhaps a day or two late but it will do me. I too wanted Riga to stay and would point out that appointing him would be relatively low risk seeing as he delivered the goodies last season. KM makes it extremely clear that they are looking to acquire additional players - we will obviously have to wait and see who they are and how they complement the existing squad of 20. What we don't know at this stage is how successful they will be at landing their targets. I think it would be helpful if RD and KM explained a little more about this process as the absence of clarity allows for a lot of speculation.
    I think Riga and Meire have been at the club long enough for fans to form their opinions. Perhaps some of the views on here are shared by the fanbase but I suspect that the most vehement anti Duchatelet element represent only a small minority of fans. This time last year the supporters Trust surveyed well over 2,000 fans about their attitudes and views. Perhaps they might do the same before they meet KM so that they can go out to bat with a form of mandate.
    I think it is tempting for the club to withdraw from communications if all they get is the reception we saw on facebook to Peeters (not that I've seen it) or some of the comments on here. But that would be a mistake. If the club wants to be in touch with the silent majority then it has to maintain regular sincere communications about all matters on and off the pitch. There will always be some in denial or very reluctant to trust the board but unfolding events will reveal what the future holds. We will know the full squad soon enough and we will know just how competitive it is by the end of September after 10 games.
    One thing we all know for sure is that if it is going horribly wrong then Duchatelet won't be shy to make changes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"And I suggest you both go back and read it again I said I'm confident we will START the season in a strong position on and off the field".

Blimey mate, let me know what happy tablets you're taking as I sure as hell want some.

The geezer lives in cloud cuckoo land
  • Options
    I have no doubts that RD thinks Peeters is the best man for the job. The job of doing what he wants/ I have no doubt that RD believes that what he is doing will be successful and the model for football in the future. I won't say I have no doubt his idea is wrong, but I do have serious doubts! KM is his employee - what is she going to say! I trust him, I think he is doing what he said he would - maybe it was a little obscure but it wasn't too hard to put 2 and 2 together. Unfortunately, the more I see the more it confirms my fears.
  • Options
    Can't see why people are so fussed over this statement. It thanked Riga, explained that they deliberated on who to employ as a new manager and decided Big Bob was the best man for the job. Why should they expand on that? If they did and started saying Riga lacked this or lacked that then people would jump on that and slag them off for being disrespectful to Jose. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Likewise if they just appointed Riga and didn't consider other candidates they would be slagged off. It's still May, come 30th June things will be much clearer. Time for some on here to chillax. Maybe it's an evening dip in the hot tub that helps :-)
  • Options
    What is the use of a bloody good manager if he has no team. Let's get that steam roller moving. Powell was a defender who could not pick a decent striker. Bob is a striker who I hope can pick and coach a decent striker. This is for me the issue.
  • Options
    @MuttleyCAFC‌

Spot on in my view. Duchatelet is sincere and doing what be believes will be best for the Club, in the medium to long-term. That's not the issue. The issue, as you say, is how good his judgment is and how well he executes. The Jury is out on this and we should give him some time, but I share your caution.
  • Options
    Katrien's statement is perfectly acceptable and professional. She has been, rightly, very generous in her thanks to José including how he made the effort to come in when RD asked, despite other commitments.

Do I think he has been hard done by not to now get the job on a longer basis? Yes, I do. Because like all of us, I like the comfort of the "known knowns"!! ;-)

She has then given a brief outline of the process they went through in appointing Bob Peeters. Nothing earth-shattering, but no reason why it should be.

The same about the player situation. We know it's a serious problem and so does she. Some clubs have already started making signings, but not too many and most, if not all players will have several weeks left on their existing contracts. I am sure that we'll see movement pick up in the run-up to July 1st...hopefully we'll even get a few!

Other than that, nothing has really been added in the 7 pages of comments as no-one has any other knowledge.

I do though have a very unpleasant mental image of Katrien feeding Henry, in his best lion-coloured cardigan, with slabs of raw meat!!! *~*
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think the most we are gonna get on why Peeters got the job will be a brief description in RD's programme notes at the first home game. It's not gonna please a few on here but it's pretty much what I'd expect from any chairman about a managerial appointment.
  • Options

"And I suggest you both go back and read it again I said I'm confident we will START the season in a strong position on and off the field".

Blimey mate, let me know what happy tablets you're taking as I sure as hell want some.

We will see won't we and I'll accept an apology if your also happy with the team come the first game of the season and don't be rude just because I support my football club as much as possible !
  • Options

What is the use of a bloody good manager if he has no team. Let's get that steam roller moving. Powell was a defender who could not pick a decent striker. Bob is a striker who I hope can pick and coach a decent striker. This is for me the issue.

Your right - apart from Kermorgant, Wright-Phillips and Fuller that is - why didn't bloody Powell pick Luis Suarez or Ricky Lambert - he just couldn't get over his Church infatuation...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

We will see won't we and I'll accept an apology if your also happy with the team come the first game of the season and don't be rude just because I support my football club as much as possible !
    It is very well(and proper) to be supportive of the club and team.
    However, I think you take it too far. If we were to finish the season losing every game you would still think things are okay
  • Options
    With all of Katrien's various "unknowns", the statement reads like a piece of defensive waffle. Perhaps something was lost in translation!
  • Options

Yann897 said:

It is very well(and proper) to be supportive of the club and team.
    However, I think you take it too far. If we were to finish the season losing every game you would still think things are okay
    No far from it but all the time were still 2 months away from the season I'm gonna back the club end of .
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

My fear is that he might be an Ian Dowie.

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Love how a few people know this . Wish I had the inside info .
    Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
    And it's not blind faith , Iv seen enough to think we're gonna start the season in a strong position on and off the field , why ? Well why not ?
    Please tell me what you've seen to give you the impression that "we're gonna start the season in a strong position on the field"
    Iv seen that Roland wants to build for the future RUMOUR , Iv seen that he's putting over 500k into a new pitch and he's had a part in the training ground development TRUE.
    The fact that we have bid over 500k for O Grady RUMOUR , we had 1.5m ready for gradel back in jan RUMOUR and km has just said they are working hard on deals and I trust they will do the right thing By learning from their mistakes of jan .
    Who knows what will happen but I'm not going to judge until beginning of august personally.
    another bunch of facts......

1 manager sacked - would have kept us up IMO but can understand why he was let go
    1 head coach not kept on - despite being a resounding success
    2 important players sold in jan and not adequately replaced
    2 integral players not retained at the end of the season
    1 inexperienced head coach employed - still not heard a peep out of him
    2 more integral players not committing as yet....not looking likely

another bunch of facts......

1 manager sacked - when we were bottom of The League and had just been knocked out of the FA Cup, live to the nation with a really poor performance.

1 head coach not kept on - because, follwoing on from a selection process, the owner felt he had a better applicant.

2 important players sold in jan who didn't want to stay at the Club, whose contracts expired in 6 months and who received decent fees for. As for their replacements, I suggest we wait and see.

2 integral players whose contracts had expired and were not retained at the end of the season because the owner felt they were replaceable. Whereas other players contracts have been renegotiated or are in the process of being renegotiated.

1 inexperienced head coach employed who RM has said the Board felt was the best fit out of the candidates they looked at - still not heard a peep out of him despite him being confrimed in the role less than 48 hours ago.

2 more integral players not committing as yet....not looking likely. That's a FACT is it? Are you their agent then?

• Options

This is an absolute no win for KM and RD. No matter what she says - and by and large it will be her as we have already been told she is RDs eyes on the club - there are a percentage of people on here and other social media channels that have decided that RD and anyone associated with him is no good for CAFC.

There are a number of posters on here who are primed to jump on any snippet of gossip, rumour or fact and pour scorn on it as it suits their anti RD agenda.

This statement is by and large a thank you to Riga and is probably reactive. So what? People moaned that nothing was said when Riga left and now they are moaning because something was said.

I don't understand the dissenters, to be honest I don't really want to. Nothing I say or RD does is going to change their thinking.

I've nailed my colours to the mast and said I'll judge when the transfer window closes. If I don't like what I see then, I'll voice my concerns.

The sooner people accept that the club is no-longer being run in a "traditional English football club" way the sooner they'll be able to start sleeping at night.

RD has his own vision and plan, he has spent so far a minimum of 14m probably much more to give him the right to realise that vision. Just because it doesn't fit with the utopia which some on here "expect" doesn't mean it won't work.

People need to keep a watching brief and if there is any reason to speak out somewhere down the line fair enough. Said before and I'll say it again RD is well in credit at the moment and ultimately for a vociferous few he will never be in credit because he a) sacked Powell and b) had the cheek to question the manager of his 14m asset in relation to key decisions.

I don't believe RD is going anywhere in the short term, so will try and buy into his vision. I still believe he'll be good for us in the long term. Nothing he has done so far suggests otherwise.

Make you right Clem.

The only thing I'd question is this: what is his vision that you're buying into? I ask because it's not clear to me.
  • Options
    He was a very serious candidate to get the job because he was so successful.......So said Roland's mouthpiece earlier.
    So the thank you for success is to not be given a contract, what an unbelievable time we are having at Charlton Athletic Football Club.
  • Options
    Why was there no such jumping up and down, gnashing of teeth and wailing when The Spivs were in charge? Much, much more to worry about then.
  • Options
    Should we win the first six matches of the season may people not forget we will still be in a lot of the brown stuff.