Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

My fear is that he might be an Ian Dowie.

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Love how a few people know this . Wish I had the inside info .
    Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
    And it's not blind faith , Iv seen enough to think we're gonna start the season in a strong position on and off the field , why ? Well why not ?
    Please tell me what you've seen to give you the impression that "we're gonna start the season in a strong position on the field"
    Iv seen that Roland wants to build for the future RUMOUR , Iv seen that he's putting over 500k into a new pitch and he's had a part in the training ground development TRUE.
    The fact that we have bid over 500k for O Grady RUMOUR , we had 1.5m ready for gradel back in jan RUMOUR and km has just said they are working hard on deals and I trust they will do the right thing By learning from their mistakes of jan .
    Who knows what will happen but I'm not going to judge until beginning of august personally.
    another bunch of facts......

1 manager sacked - would have kept us up IMO but can understand why he was let go
    1 head coach not kept on - despite being a resounding success
    2 important players sold in jan and not adequately replaced
    2 integral players not retained at the end of the season
    1 inexperienced head coach employed - still not heard a peep out of him
    2 more integral players not committing as yet....not looking likely

yes it may all end in a garden of roses but for the love of god look objectionally at the situation and it does not look good at the moment. Yes there is time for it to change but that is ALOT of change to get right
    But you know what you have done there? You have looked at what has happened and used the information to take a view. Yes unfortunately it is a negative one, but whilst we would all love to take a positive one, the evidence points elsewhere. Words are cheap, we can hear about how we are going after this player or that but you have quoted actions, others are taking the fact that Riga brilliantly kept us up with what was left of Powell's team as being a positive about RD. I would say the, now out there, interference before a key quarter final is a negative to add to your list. A criminal one at that!

I don't believe RD is trying to destroy us - he is trying to make us successful, but he doesn't understand the club, the league or football in my opinion. He is a millionaire but his attempt into changing politics was a failure and so, IMO, will be his attempt to change football. I do believe we are an experiment and I don't like people experimenting with my beloved club. We don't even know the identity of RDs advisers - the people who will be advising him on players and the way to achieve his strategy FFS. We do know they might not be very good. How? By bloody looking at what has happened since RD took over! That's how!

If anybody wants to put a positive spin on this it is up to them, but some of us need to see some positive developments. I don't expect to see them, the same as I didn't expect to see Riga appointed, I was one of the few, because I think I have worked this loon out. And I call him that because I don't think he is evil - he does want what is best for us - he just doesn't know what it is. But what is the most dangerous thing of all - he thinks he does. When you read what Dyer said- how can you expect any out of contract players to sign for us!! They won't and you can hold me to that statement!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Katrien needs to be given a large break here. According to her mail to the Trust she is on holiday this week. I'd hazard a guess that she had no input whatsoever into this decision, but still tries to manage the fallout while on holiday. Reckon she deserves credit for that, even if inevitably she has not been able to answer all the questions people have. And as others have said, it's hard to imagine a formal statement that would answer those questions.

If Katrien is on holiday and according to Chris Parkes' wife BP will not be joining us until June 30, who put a bid in for Chris O'Grady and who is going to get the rest of the new players we need? If it is true BP will not be here until June 30 and the players report back on about June 23rd, who is taking them for pre-season training and what sort of message does this send out to new players, that the new manager reports back after they do? I thought he would want to be here to get to know the club and all the players including the new ones. If he is having a say on new players, surely he should be meeting the scouts to inform them what he wants. Perhaps everyone who says he is just a puppet on a string are right. I do hope not.
    That bothers me, if it turns out to be true. It means he has no chance to shape the squad until its too late. The experience of the last three seasons show that those who do their business early get the best deals, while those who leave it late get Simon Church. Does RD understand that?

I think a lot of people are misrepresenting how the European Head Coach system works. They seem to suggest that a bunch of faceless people buy players and the Head Coach is told "right, here's your squad, go and win matches". It isn't like that at all. He won't have the power to say, "I want Izale McLeod, and I don't care how much you have to pay, get him" , thank the Lord. But of course the Head Coach specifies the qualities he seeks in different positions, and may well suggest individual names. Therefore if the Head Coach isn't around at or near the beginning of the relevant window, that seems to me to be a big disadvantage.

It seems that with RD, every time you think you start to get it, he does something that sends you back to your corner, scratching your head.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

This is an absolute no win for KM and RD. No matter what she says - and by and large it will be her as we have already been told she is RDs eyes on the club - there are a percentage of people on here and other social media channels that have decided that RD and anyone associated with him is no good for CAFC.

There are a number of posters on here who are primed to jump on any snippet of gossip, rumour or fact and pour scorn on it as it suits their anti RD agenda.

This statement is by and large a thank you to Riga and is probably reactive. So what? People moaned that nothing was said when Riga left and now they are moaning because something was said.

I don't understand the dissenters, to be honest I don't really want to. Nothing I say or RD does is going to change their thinking.

I've nailed my colours to the mast and said I'll judge when the transfer window closes. If I don't like what I see then, I'll voice my concerns.

The sooner people accept that the club is no-longer being run in a "traditional English football club" way the sooner they'll be able to start sleeping at night.

RD has his own vision and plan, he has spent so far a minimum of 14m probably much more to give him the right to realise that vision. Just because it doesn't fit with the utopia which some on here "expect" doesn't mean it won't work.

People need to keep a watching brief and if there is any reason to speak out somewhere down the line fair enough. Said before and I'll say it again RD is well in credit at the moment and ultimately for a vociferous few he will never be in credit because he a) sacked Powell and b) had the cheek to question the manager of his 14m asset in relation to key decisions.

I don't believe RD is going anywhere in the short term, so will try and buy into his vision. I still believe he'll be good for us in the long term. Nothing he has done so far suggests otherwise.

Make you right Clem.

The only thing I'd question is this: what is his vision that you're buying into? I ask because it's not clear to me.
    My take, for what its worth, is that he wants to grow the club by investing in the infrastructure - part of that is pushing foward with the training ground development, regardless of his level of financial commitment, I think he is a factor in it happening and don't believe it would have gone anywhere under the previous owners.

I think his ultimate goal is a successful side which is financially viable and adheres to FFP.

The part I'm not really sure of is what he considers success? We haven't had any tub thumping regarding a quick journey to the premiership, so would he consider mid table and breaking even success?

Who knows, what I firmly believe is that you don't buy something for 14m to run it into the ground and essentially burn that investment.

RD appears to be a pretty shrewd businessman so I'm guessing he thinks long term he can make money out of us.

To do that he'll need success and if we get that I for one wouldn't begrudge him a small profit.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

thenewbie said:

I don't see why the powers that be should have to elaborate on WHY they have chosen the candidate they thought was best, really. They've acknowledged JR, mentioned there were other candidates (and there is no reason to assume they are lying about that) and made a choice. That's employment in any field, football or any other.

In my opinion they should elaborate. They are surely aware of the fact that BP is,to the large majority of fans, a complete unknown. If they had hired someone with a higher profile, or who had managed in England before, then people would have more information to make a considered judgement,

However, BP is not known to us in a managerial sense. So why not spill the beans on what makes him the best option open to us? Do we not have a right to understand the reasons behind the appointment of a new manager?
    I don't wish to appear rude, but this is simply unrealistic. Charlton Athletic is a Football Club not a Business School. Either you believe that Duchatelet believes Peeters is the best man for the job or, alternatively, you believe that there is a hidden agenda, some Machiavellian plot. If the latter, and that's entirely your prerogative, then its not going to matter what they say. If the former, what's the problem?

Why did Manchester United appoint David Moyes? What were the qualities they saw in him? Who else did they interview and who was involved? Did they talk to Carlo Ancelotti or Roberto Martinez? If not, why not? What was their assessment of Roberto Martinez? Can we see their attribute by attribute comparison of Moyes v Martinez? I'd be fascinated to hear the answers to these questions, but I've no right to know and I'm not holding my breath.

I could go on. This demand for an hour by hour, blow by blow account of the Club's strategy, decision making processes and actions is just absurd. We either trust them or we don't and that's up to each individual fan. I'll make my own mind up, as I'm sure will you, but I'll do so on the basis of what I see, on the actions taken and on the results delivered. That will take time and patience. In the meantime, I genuinely don't understand why so many fans have such a cynical predisposition.

There is an irony in all of this. Katrien Miere has clearly made a genuine attempt to appease the gathering hordes. If I were her I might not bother next time.
    “Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level.

“He also shares my belief that the most successful clubs are built by nurturing young players through a development system that provides a clear path to the First Team, thereby creating a culture that keeps them at the Club for the long term. This is an approach he has employed with great success in the past and I look forward to him bringing that experience and expertise to Southampton.”
    Fair point. I agree that this is a nice statement. It's a shame Duchatelet didn't copy/paste it and substitute Charlton for Southampton. The second paragraph would then have been perfect, though he might have needed to use the phrase "the squad we are building ..." in the second sentence of the first paragraph. However, I'm not convinced the reaction would have been that different had this happened, but I may well be wrong.

Maybe I was guilty of trying to make a general point with a specific example, but I don't believe that Cortese's elegant rhetoric really explained why he sacked Adkins anymore than had Duchatelet used the same text it would have really explained why he chose not to hire Riga.

These are judgement calls which, in practice, will be based on a blend of hard and soft factors. Much of what is then made public is marketing spin used across the business world. Maybe ours isn't very good, but as I said, I really don't understand why there is such a strong need to "judge" and a predisposition to believe the worst.

PS Re Moyes. The Manchester Utd Board has not and will not reveal the process that led them to recruit him. Ironically, they may well be hiding a problem. Odds are they were dictated to by a autocrat who decided Moyes was the man. I'll bet there were no interviews or structured search process.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Now, I really have no inside track at all on the inner workings of the club, the Board or the mind of M Duchatelet himself. But let's look at a possible scenario for the selection of Bob Peeters as Head Coach. All of this is hypothesis and supposition, but it might have gone something like this:

1. Jose Riga was appointed on a short-term basis until the end of the season, with no commitments or expectations on either side that this would lead to a long-term appointment. It had been identified that we had an over-reliance on the long ball under Chris Powell, and it was felt that Riga would be able to improve the quality of play, enable to retain possession better and get the points needed to ensure survival, which was essential for the economic well-being of the club and the wider network. This he did, with the added benefit that his calm and measured style worked well with the players and also with the, initially, sceptical fans. He was also available at short notice, which was not the case with other potential candidates.

2. Jose Riga performed well, but in a relatively low pressure situation. He was a gamble. If CAFC went down, then it was Chris Powell's fault. If we stayed up, he was a hero. He was able to call the shots without fear. He did it very, very well, and exceeded expectations - but Riga does not have a track record of longevity in his roles. He chose to move on from Standard Liege fairly early in his tenure. What, on his cv, indicates that he was a coach who would sign up for "the whole journey:, a coach who would stick around if things got tough? Success in a short-term turnaround role does not necessarily indicate the skills and temperament needed to succeed in re-building a squad, a team, a club, in the longer term. The short-term task demands clear insight, good decision making, good team-building and motivational skills. The long-term role demands, additionally, strategic vision, resilience, ruthlessness and the ability to initiate, lead and manage change. There were question marks over Jose Riga's ability to excel in all of these competences.

3. Bob Peeters is a young, ambitious Head Coach who has impressed M Duchatelet and other observers in the Belgian game. He is regarded as talented and ambitious with the potential to go far in his career, and further than Jose Riga is seen as being capable of. He does have the full set of competencies that CAFC needs in the longer term role. Peeters has coached teams to superior performance and, whilst he has had his disappointments, these have largely been due to external factors such as key players being sold. He is bright and receptive and these setbacks will have been a valuable learning experience for him. There were other alternative candidates to Jose Riga, but Peeters was felt to have the best all-round skill set and the highest potential, to lead CAFC in this new era.

4. It is also true that Peeters understands the broader strategic vision of the network and, critically, is able to buy-into the vision of shared playing and non-playing resources adding value to all. This is critical for an effective working relationship with M Duchatelet. However, he is known not be anyone's pushover, will fight his corner and always have CAFCs best interests at the forefront of his thinking and his decisions. M Duchatelet has said that each of the clubs in the network is an autonomous entity and Peeters has made clear his intention to always pick the best available team to get results for for CAFC. After all, a successful CAFC will be of significant economic value to M Duchatelet and the network as a whole.

How much of this hypothetical scenario is true, who knows? But I suspect that some elements might be on or near the money. If it happens to be reasonably accurate, should we reasonably expect M Duchatelet or Katrien Meire to explain all this to us? No, of course not. Firstly, it could be quite damaging to Jose Riga and other coaches thought to be "in the frame". Would any of us want our perceived shortcomings to be communicated to several thousand people? Would that not leave CAFC open to potential legal action? Where I do agree with other posters, however, is that it WOULD have been appropriate for a positive communication to have been issued about Peeters' appointment outlining the reasons why he had been selected. The only half-valid reason I can see for this not being done is that it might have been used as a stick to beat them with sometime downstream. The real reason is probably more mundane, a combination of holidays, leadership vacuum and a weak communications team. Communication at the club is certainly better now than in the Jiminez/Slater era, but they still get it very wrong too often. This may be at least part of the reason for the appointment of the new communications supremo, at network level, and I hope he is watching closely and learning from the mistakes.

I don't think I've read or heard a better possible explanation of RD's thinking, @Davo55. Plenty to think about there. Top post.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The club was going nowhere with the previous owners. Nobody can argue that. They had a much better business plan, despite their personal flaws, but they didn't have the money when Cash pulled out to make it work. We would have been better off being bought by somebody else- anybody else, but we couldn't carry on with them. I just think we have fallen out of the frying pan into the fire. I think this owner could take us into League 2, but is likely to take us into League 1.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
    And it's not blind faith , Iv seen enough to think we're gonna start the season in a strong position on and off the field , why ? Well why not ?
    Please tell me what you've seen to give you the impression that "we're gonna start the season in a strong position on the field"
    Iv seen that Roland wants to build for the future RUMOUR , Iv seen that he's putting over 500k into a new pitch and he's had a part in the training ground development TRUE.
    The fact that we have bid over 500k for O Grady RUMOUR , we had 1.5m ready for gradel back in jan RUMOUR and km has just said they are working hard on deals and I trust they will do the right thing By learning from their mistakes of jan .
    Who knows what will happen but I'm not going to judge until beginning of august personally.

1 manager sacked - would have kept us up IMO but can understand why he was let go

yes it may all end in a garden of roses but for the love of god look objectionally at the situation and it does not look good at the moment. Yes there is time for it to change but that is ALOT of change to get right
    You forgot the fact that you are an idiot, very important that one.
    wey hey.
    seriously though there are some absolute lemons on this site, people have to stop being so self important, its like the boy who cried wolf.
    When Roland gives us something to protest about we can all unite for the cause but untill then im out.
    So what he sold a 32 year old for 400 thousand and sacked a manager who was useless but loved for being a nice man.
    The thing is people don't like it because certain people are no longer involved in the club and belive me they don't like it one little bit and thats a fact.
    Under TJ and Slater who were a fucking joke did we hear so much negativity? Although there was some but the answer was No! Why? Because the old guard still had people on the inside.
    I am not very good at putting things down in words I will admit but I hope most will get my drift, I await to be shot down in flames.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Katrien needs to be given a large break here. According tgo her mail to the Trust she is on holiday this week. I'd hazard a guess that she had no input whatsoever into this decision, but still tries to manage the fallout while on holiday. Reckon she deserves credit for that, even if inevitably she has not been able to answer all the questions people have. And as others have said, it's hard to imagine a formal statement that would answer those questions.

If Katrien is on holiday and according to Chris Parkes' wife BP will not be joining us until June 30, who put a bid in for Chris O'Grady and who is going to get the rest of the new players we need? If it is true BP will not be here until June 30 and the players report back on about June 23rd, who is taking them for pre-season training and what sort of message does this send out to new players, that the new manager reports back after they do? I thought he would want to be here to get to know the club and all the players including the new ones. If he is having a say on new players, surely he should be meeting the scouts to inform them what he wants. Perhaps everyone who says he is just a puppet on a string are right. I do hope not.
    That bothers me, if it turns out to be true. It means he has no chance to shape the squad until its too late. The experience of the last three seasons show that those who do their business early get the best deals, while those who leave it late get Simon Church. Does RD understand that?

I think a lot of people are misrepresenting how the European Head Coach system works. They seem to suggest that a bunch of faceless people buy players and the Head Coach is told "right, here's your squad, go and win matches". It isn't like that at all. He won't have the power to say, "I want Izale McLeod, and I don't care how much you have to pay, get him" , thank the Lord. But of course the Head Coach specifies the qualities he seeks in different positions, and may well suggest individual names. Therefore if the Head Coach isn't around at or near the beginning of the relevant window, that seems to me to be a big disadvantage.

It seems that with RD, every time you think you start to get it, he does something that sends you back to your corner, scratching your head.
    I can't see why Peeters wouldn't be joining until then. It seems we paid compensation for him so not as if he is working out a notice period. Sue Parkes should be in the know but this seems untrue to me. Also, should Sue be releasing such info on social media sites?
  • Options

ross1 said:

Katrien needs to be given a large break here. According tgo her mail to the Trust she is on holiday this week. I'd hazard a guess that she had no input whatsoever into this decision, but still tries to manage the fallout while on holiday. Reckon she deserves credit for that, even if inevitably she has not been able to answer all the questions people have. And as others have said, it's hard to imagine a formal statement that would answer those questions.

I can't see why Peeters wouldn't be joining until then. It seems we paid compensation for him so not as if he is working out a notice period. Sue Parkes should be in the know but this seems untrue to me. Also, should Sue be releasing such info on social media sites?
    Puzzles me too, Large. Hope its a misunderstanding.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    mrbligh said:

Addickted said:

mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

1 manager sacked - when we were bottom of The League and had just been knocked out of the FA Cup, live to the nation with a really poor performance. - i did put an IMO there but......5 games in hand.....

1 head coach not kept on - because, follwoing on from a selection process, the owner felt he had a better applicant. - LOL at "selection process"

2 important players sold in jan who didn't want to stay at the Club, whose contracts expired in 6 months and who received decent fees for. As for their replacements, I suggest we wait and see. - AA, Reza, Koc, Nego, Thuram???????

2 integral players whose contracts had expired and were not retained at the end of the season because the owner felt they were replaceable. Whereas other players contracts have been renegotiated or are in the process of being renegotiated. - who needs a keeper and centre back eh?!?

1 inexperienced head coach employed who RM has said the Board felt was the best fit out of the candidates they looked at - still not heard a peep out of him despite him being confrimed in the role less than 48 hours ago. - most other managers/head coaches of clubs say something withing the first 48hrs

2 more integral players not committing as yet....not looking likely. That's a FACT is it? Are you their agent then? - should have put a IMO after the "not looking likely"

Now you've gone to using opinion yourself!!!
  • Options

The club was going nowhere with the previous owners. Nobody can argue that. They had a much better business plan, despite their personal flaws, but they didn't have the money when Cash pulled out to make it work. We would have been better off being bought by somebody else- anybody else, but we couldn't carry on with them. I just thing we have fallen out of the frying pan into the fire. I think this owner could take us into League 2, but is likely to take us into League 1.

Then why didn't he take us into League 1 last season? Why risk the wrath of the fans by sacking a popular manager and replace him with an unknown who then delivered better football and better results? The fact that Duchatelet is loaded means he can make statements on capex and then deliver. He can also underwrite moderate losses while developing the club without fear of being wiped out like the last few ownwers, Jiminez, Slater and before that Murray. Look at what happened to various owners of Palace as they allowed football losses to exceed their own wealth - all talk and suddenly the club is falling over.

The fact that he has now spent £14M acquiring CAFC suggests to me that he is not going to run it into the ground. It is clear at the moment that Duchatelet is not going to fund the acquisition of 10 x £1M+ players and their associated wage costs of a minimum £5M a year. But we can expect a mix of loans, academy players and signings to build on the existing squad. And regarding the Duchatelet business plan I am not sure it is that much different to Slater and Jiminez! Sign up and develop our own players as much as possible then top that up with a few professionals from elsewhere. Reduce losses where possible and wait for FFP to kick in forcing other clubs to cut costs and player/agent demands to fall.

He could have thrown money at the problems when he bought the club but he didn't. In theory that would have been his money in the form of loans. But that would have been more debt loaded on our club. Sooner or later another club is going to fall over. Probably a club relegated from the Premier League who suddenly runs out of parachute money and has spent it all trying but failing to buy success. What Slater and Jiminez didn't have was time - the academy has been churning out decent quality players but they were not yet old enough. I have posted on here before that we already have the youngest squad in the Championship and it's about to get younger. In a couple of years the team of Pope, Fox, Gomez(?), a.n.other Solly, Cousins, Poyet(?), Sordell(?), Harriott, Wilson and a couple more will be two years older and have 100 more games under their belts. Add the right coach and right players to that lot in 2015 and I think things are looking good especially given that the loss limits for FFP drop to £5M for the season after next.
  • Options

What a mess. I didn't want CP to leave, but his job became untenable soon after RD took over. JR was another top chap, by all accounts and I hoped he would be our manager. Alas, no. With so much uncertainty, why would our remaining players choose to stay at CAFC if other options were available to them? The club's identity has been all but removed. We're now part of a mish-mash of a multi-club package spread over hundreds of kilometres. In, out, in, out, shake it all about. Then the wheels fall off. For me, it's not our club any more. I'll give it a week or three, and re-appraise. I'm very sceptical of the whole thing and will walk away if I don't like the menu.

I agree with what you say, but we can't walk away. We have to be there to pick up the pieces. We may lose our club, but history shows that we will get it back at some point. I hope this loon goes sooner rather than later of course!

• Options

mrbligh said:

Addickted said:

mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

1 manager sacked - when we were bottom of The League and had just been knocked out of the FA Cup, live to the nation with a really poor performance. - i did put an IMO there but......5 games in hand.....

1 head coach not kept on - because, follwoing on from a selection process, the owner felt he had a better applicant. - LOL at "selection process"

2 important players sold in jan who didn't want to stay at the Club, whose contracts expired in 6 months and who received decent fees for. As for their replacements, I suggest we wait and see. - AA, Reza, Koc, Nego, Thuram???????

2 integral players whose contracts had expired and were not retained at the end of the season because the owner felt they were replaceable. Whereas other players contracts have been renegotiated or are in the process of being renegotiated. - who needs a keeper and centre back eh?!?

1 inexperienced head coach employed who RM has said the Board felt was the best fit out of the candidates they looked at - still not heard a peep out of him despite him being confrimed in the role less than 48 hours ago. - most other managers/head coaches of clubs say something withing the first 48hrs

2 more integral players not committing as yet....not looking likely. That's a FACT is it? Are you their agent then? - should have put a IMO after the "not looking likely"

Cam on don't be pedantic me old son!
  • Options
    edited May 2014

The club was going nowhere with the previous owners. Nobody can argue that. They had a much better business plan, despite their personal flaws, but they didn't have the money when Cash pulled out to make it work. We would have been better off being bought by somebody else- anybody else, but we couldn't carry on with them. I just thing we have fallen out of the frying pan into the fire. I think this owner could take us into League 2, but is likely to take us into League 1.

Then why didn't he take us into League 1 last season? Why risk the wrath of the fans by sacking a popular manager and replace him with an unknown who then delivered better football and better results? The fact that Duchatelet is loaded means he can make statements on capex and then deliver. He can also underwrite moderate losses while developing the club without fear of being wiped out like the last few ownwers, Jiminez, Slater and before that Murray. Look at what happened to various owners of Palace as they allowed football losses to exceed their own wealth - all talk and suddenly the club is falling over.

The fact that he has now spent £14M acquiring CAFC suggests to me that he is not going to run it into the ground. It is clear at the moment that Duchatelet is not going to fund the acquisition of 10 x £1M+ players and their associated wage costs of a minimum £5M a year. But we can expect a mix of loans, academy players and signings to build on the existing squad. And regarding the Duchatelet business plan I am not sure it is that much different to Slater and Jiminez! Sign up and develop our own players as much as possible then top that up with a few professionals from elsewhere. Reduce losses where possible and wait for FFP to kick in forcing other clubs to cut costs and player/agent demands to fall.

He could have thrown money at the problems when he bought the club but he didn't. In theory that would have been his money in the form of loans. But that would have been more debt loaded on our club. Sooner or later another club is going to fall over. Probably a club relegated from the Premier League who suddenly runs out of parachute money and has spent it all trying but failing to buy success. What Slater and Jiminez didn't have was time - the academy has been churning out decent quality players but they were not yet old enough. I have posted on here before that we already have the youngest squad in the Championship and it's about to get younger. In a couple of years the team of Pope, Fox, Gomez(?), a.n.other Solly, Cousins, Poyet(?), Sordell(?), Harriott, Wilson and a couple more will be two years older and have 100 more games under their belts. Add the right coach and right players to that lot in 2015 and I think things are looking good especially given that the loss limits for FFP drop to £5M for the season after next.
    The plan isn't to take us into League 1 and never was. Powell would have kept us up with support and backing. Riga did a great job. Riga was not given the job - explain that! Nobody can. It isn't the plan but it is where we are heading with this owner!
  • Options

Lennie, Gritty, Curbs, Chrissie....Proper Charlton, all. Some fantastic, irreplaceable, unique times. And a decent chap in Jose, too. I wish he'd been able to stay.
    I helped save Charlton in 1990. I'm done with saving Charlton. I have three options:
    1) Put up with it. I shall not.
    2) Oppose it. Perhaps.
    3) Withdraw my money, walk away and enjoy other things. We shall see.

Not meant to be a sarky comment but what's your point ?
  • Options
    The start date may be entirely down to the terms of release by his former employer Waasland Beveren.

They were clearly not best pleased by the manner of his departure.

Such terms of release are not uncommon. I had to wait 6 months to accept an offer from an An American organisation. Under the terms of a joint venture agreement which in the end did not proceed I could not even speak to them. One Chief Executive I worked for, recruited from a competitor, was on gardening leave for 3 months before he joined us.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Addickted said:

ross1 said:

Rothko said:

I thought everyone was about to walk away from the training ground project until RD came in and backed it, and that the plans had stalled while the spivs ran out of money.

I think one issue is that the spivs forced the person who put the business plan together and had all the contacts out of the trust. Consequently, RD may have to fill the gap if it gets built, but I'm not aware he has committed to this. Just as likely it won't be built?
    Are you saying that all this talk about academy players is his priority is a lie, and that he will not be completing the training ground project?
    I'm saying that the business plan was constructed to have no capital contribution from the club and that as approved by the council it predates RD. If the money isn't there or RD wants to build something larger, as has been suggested, he'll have put some funding in, because the main grants are based on match funding. I'm sure he's keen on the academy, but I'm not aware he has committed any capital to it as yet.

There's a perception he is making a major investment, but I think at present it's based on a misunderstanding.
    I thought the current application was significantly larger than the original plans?

You don't normally recommission a project of this scale unless you at least expect to go forward with it. I assume time will tell.

I don't think the scheme that has planning permission is significantly larger, especially as the submitted drawings predate RD's interest in the club (November 2013). I know he has other ideas, but I'm not aware these have been submitted? I would question whether the external funding is secure in any event, not his intent to proceed.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

A statement on Riga was about time and a common curtesy to the man, though why it was not issued after the announcement of Peeters is a strange one. Young Katrien is believed to be on holiday but is there no one else capable of putting a statement together.

Why the likes of Murray, Duchatelet or Bradshaw could not have done this, is a poor show. What if Katrien is off sick with influenza. Do we not hear anything.

Actually there is no one else. Murray announced he was spokesman for the board, but wisely in my view has said nothing since Powell was sacked, except through other people of course.

It's not surprising if you have someone like RD as owner calling the shots that the senior management can't and won't take responsibility, and Bradshaw's on his bike anyway.

Apologies for the repetition, but there is no RD investment in the training ground project as I understand it. It is all supposed to be externally funded. Not a criticism, just a point of fact.
    Well, there's a bombshell just casually slipped in , Airman !

Is it common knowledge that SB is on his way ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The start date may be entirely down to the terms of release by his former employer Waasland Beveren.

They were clearly not best pleased by the manner of his departure.

Such terms of release are not uncommon. I had to wait 6 months to accept an offer from an An American organisation. Under the terms of a joint venture agreement which in the end did not proceed I could not even speak to them. One Chief Executive I worked for, recruited from a competitor, was on gardening leave for 3 months before he joined us.

Sure, this crossed my mind as a possibility too (headhunting being my day job nowadays)

But normal "terms of release" are not easily applied to football, are they, given the combination of transfer windows and quite ridiculous short term expectations? I bet the CEO you worked for wasn't expected to have turned around the company by Christmas.

• Options
    Which I suggest is precisely why such a clause will be inserted in the contract to prevent any unapproved defection mid season - who is going to wait for a month for a head coach at such a time - and make it bloody awkward even during the close season. It is meant to be a deterrent to someone poaching their head coach.

The 60 odd articles on Waasland Beveren at the time of the initial story indicated they were adamant they had a case for a considerable compensation package in respect of his contract until 2015. Though journalists in contact with Peeters seemed to indicated they were only entitled to compensation for the first 3 months of the remaining contract.

If the latter ended up being the case you can well imagine them insisting he worked (went on gardening leave) a months notice. I am sure he will find something useful to do with his time.

• Options
    Unbelievably negative place these days at CL. I think its time for a holiday...try not to make a mess whilst slitting your wrists people.
  • Options

This isn't a statement about the reasoning behind BP's appointment, its a thank you and goodbye to Riga.

It's as if some people expect the minutes from the candidate interviews!

Well, that's a step in the right direction - the club can afford to pay someone to take minutes!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    mrbligh said:

mrbligh said:

Addickted said:

mrbligh said:

Yann897 said:

WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

Cam on don't be pedantic me old son!
    Mate, my point is that you can list the 'facts' and some, like those you've listed look bad on paper (ie sold our best two players) but There are reasons behind those decisions and we can only speculate what they are

Some people wanna know the ins and outs of a ducks arse but it's just not gonna happen. It was the same with old owners , I'm just not sure why all of a sudden people feel like they deserve to be told the reasoning behind every decision with RD?
  • Options

Come the end of the season I'll be saying how brilliant 15% /good 55% /bad 25% /ugly 5% the season was and how great 50% /rubbish 30% /boring 20% Roland's Belgian circus/ideas/network is

But for most of the season I'm gonna say how shit our away support is 100%

EFA