Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    thenewbie said:

I don't see why the powers that be should have to elaborate on WHY they have chosen the candidate they thought was best, really. They've acknowledged JR, mentioned there were other candidates (and there is no reason to assume they are lying about that) and made a choice. That's employment in any field, football or any other.

In my opinion they should elaborate. They are surely aware of the fact that BP is,to the large majority of fans, a complete unknown. If they had hired someone with a higher profile, or who had managed in England before, then people would have more information to make a considered judgement,

However, BP is not known to us in a managerial sense. So why not spill the beans on what makes him the best option open to us? Do we not have a right to understand the reasons behind the appointment of a new manager?
  • Options

The thing that bothers me the most is that with Riga we all knew we'd try and play nice looking football no matter what! I enjoyed that a lot good passing and the rest! From what I've read about big bob his style of play is pretty different! He like a big lump of a target man! So it looks like we will see a return to the hoofball!

Peeters has come through the Belgian coaching system so I am willing to bet that hoofball will not be our style of play.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

thenewbie said:

I don't see why the powers that be should have to elaborate on WHY they have chosen the candidate they thought was best, really. They've acknowledged JR, mentioned there were other candidates (and there is no reason to assume they are lying about that) and made a choice. That's employment in any field, football or any other.

In my opinion they should elaborate. They are surely aware of the fact that BP is,to the large majority of fans, a complete unknown. If they had hired someone with a higher profile, or who had managed in England before, then people would have more information to make a considered judgement,

However, BP is not known to us in a managerial sense. So why not spill the beans on what makes him the best option open to us? Do we not have a right to understand the reasons behind the appointment of a new manager?
    A considered opinion maybe - although a lot on here have already made their minds up about Bobby before a ball is kicked. But considered judgement? - there's no judgement to apply here - it is what it is and the people with the power to make the judgement have done so.

Do we have a right to understand the reasons behind the appointment of a new manager? Of course not.
  • Options

The thing that bothers me the most is that with Riga we all knew we'd try and play nice looking football no matter what! I enjoyed that a lot good passing and the rest! From what I've read about big bob his style of play is pretty different! He like a big lump of a target man! So it looks like we will see a return to the hoofball!

Peeters has come through the Belgian coaching system so I am willing to bet that hoofball will not be our style of play.
    That's a fair point however reports on teams managed by him seem to suggest that is what happens...

Another point! Riga clearly had the ability to get the best out of a group of players... If big bob can't manage the same then we could see the same players doing a lot worse than they ended the season!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

My fear is that he might be an Ian Dowie.

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Love how a few people know this . Wish I had the inside info .
    Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
    Laughable statement, RD appointed Riga when we were bottom of the league and heading to L1, we played more attacking football and stayed in the Champ, that alone is a reason to celebrate our new owner. So when you talk about 'Blind Faith' we did a bit of that keeping Powell longer than if he had not been an ex Charlton player and look where it nearly got us.
    Does no one understand what RD and co did for SL? Their fans bitched and moaned initially and now look at them.
    The statement says that they looked at several candidates and Bob was the strongest to lead our club, that alone tells me that they know what they are doing, add in the new work on the pitch, the investment in the training facilities etc then there is enough facts that tells any intelligent person to believe. That is fact. All the other rumours and conspiracy theories are just bullshit spread by sad individuals who have nothing better to do.
    Alex Dyer a sad individual who has nothing better to do than make up bullshit rumours? Same with Riga's son? Same with Matt Wright, the guy who used to do comms for the club and stated our club is in a terrible state? The rest of your post was actually pretty reasonable.
    Sad bastards on here who know jack shit but think they know whats going on based on hidden agendas in many cases, AD MAY have BEEN right, two sides to every story, we've only heard his and Ive been around long enough to form an opinion on facts not half backed truths, innuendo or conspiracy theories.....hmmm...So Riga's son said his dad was unhappy he didn't get the job and loves Charlton, and your point is??

The facts do not lie, we only have the facts to go on, not heresay from two former employees and the son of a bloke who wanted a job but didn't get it.
    You are right. Facts do not lie! And the facts pertaining to BP's record as a coach are there for the whole world to see! So it is a perfectly legitimate question to ask on what basis was he appointed. Does KM not realise that it is this issue as well as disappointment that JR was not selected that has so upset the fans?
  • Options

That's a fair point however reports on teams managed by him seem to suggest that is what happens...

Another point! Riga clearly had the ability to get the best out of a group of players... If big bob can't manage the same then we could see the same players doing a lot worse than they ended the season!
    The few people Iv spoke to mate have said he likes to play good flowing football but concentrates on wing play nothing about hoofball.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

bobmunro said:

thenewbie said:

A considered opinion maybe - although a lot on here have already made their minds up about Bobby before a ball is kicked. But considered judgement? - there's no judgement to apply here - it is what it is and the people with the power to make the judgement have done so.

Do we have a right to understand the reasons behind the appointment of a new manager? Of course not.
    Of course we have no right to know, that's obvious to everyone. Whether or not it might be wiser to flesh out the bones is what people are questioning. The days of doffing our cap are long since gone. Not giving Riga the job and giving it to someone with no experience is hardly going to settle us is it?
    I accept that but Katrien said they weighed up the pros and cons and decided on appointing Peeters. I'm really not sure what more she can say - do we expect her to say something like 'yes we know we're taking a risk with an untried manager in English football but he came across really well at interview and his Powerpoint presentation was better than Dowie's'?

If I appoint a new manager at my workplace I do not expect the entire workforce to demand to know why? And if they did I certainly wouldn't tell them.

If Peeters turns out to be shit then I'll criticise him, if he turns out to be successful then I'll praise him.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

thenewbie said:

Of course we have no right to know, that's obvious to everyone. Whether or not it might be wiser to flesh out the bones is what people are questioning. The days of doffing our cap are long since gone. Not giving Riga the job and giving it to someone with no experience is hardly going to settle us is it?
    Maybe, maybe not. The statement is what 99.99% of chairmen would make in the same situation though I am sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Katrien had said I am gonna strip off in the valley car park today some would still be unhappy and stay at Charlton train station noting train numbers.
    Unbelievable some of you lot always a conspiracy theory in everything.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

My fear is that he might be an Ian Dowie.

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Love how a few people know this . Wish I had the inside info .
    Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
    Laughable statement, RD appointed Riga when we were bottom of the league and heading to L1, we played more attacking football and stayed in the Champ, that alone is a reason to celebrate our new owner. So when you talk about 'Blind Faith' we did a bit of that keeping Powell longer than if he had not been an ex Charlton player and look where it nearly got us.
    Does no one understand what RD and co did for SL? Their fans bitched and moaned initially and now look at them.
    The statement says that they looked at several candidates and Bob was the strongest to lead our club, that alone tells me that they know what they are doing, add in the new work on the pitch, the investment in the training facilities etc then there is enough facts that tells any intelligent person to believe. That is fact. All the other rumours and conspiracy theories are just bullshit spread by sad individuals who have nothing better to do.
    Alex Dyer a sad individual who has nothing better to do than make up bullshit rumours? Same with Riga's son? Same with Matt Wright, the guy who used to do comms for the club and stated our club is in a terrible state? The rest of your post was actually pretty reasonable.
    Sad bastards on here who know jack shit but think they know whats going on based on hidden agendas in many cases, AD MAY have BEEN right, two sides to every story, we've only heard his and Ive been around long enough to form an opinion on facts not half backed truths, innuendo or conspiracy theories.....hmmm...So Riga's son said his dad was unhappy he didn't get the job and loves Charlton, and your point is??

The facts do not lie, we only have the facts to go on, not heresay from two former employees and the son of a bloke who wanted a job but didn't get it.
    On that basis we can't believe what Katrien says either?
    Looks like we can't believe anybody!!! Gonna have to life the rest of my life in paranoia

• Options
    Actions always speak louder than words.
  • Options

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

A plank. Donald Rumsfeld

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/donaldrums148142.html#4oEC0o75ozeFs1P7.99

Missed out on the unknown knowns, those that we don't know that we know! ;-)
  • Options

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

A plank. Donald Rumsfeld

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/donaldrums148142.html#4oEC0o75ozeFs1P7.99

Missed out on the unknown knowns, those that we don't know that we know! ;-)
    Surely if we know it, we can't not know that we know it

• Options
    A statement on Riga was about time and a common curtesy to the man, though why it was not issued after the announcement of Peeters is a strange one. Young Katrien is believed to be on holiday but is there no one else capable of putting a statement together.

Why the likes of Murray, Duchatelet or Bradshaw could not have done this, is a poor show. What if Katrien is off sick with influenza. Do we not hear anything.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The problem i'm seeing is that had we been relegated with our squad last season, it would have taken us straight back up the following season if we signed one striker. The worrying thing about a huge influx of random overseas players is that if we are relegated, I can see us getting into real big trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Katrien needs to be given a large break here. According to her mail to the Trust she is on holiday this week. I'd hazard a guess that she had no input whatsoever into this decision, but still tries to manage the fallout while on holiday. Reckon she deserves credit for that, even if inevitably she has not been able to answer all the questions people have. And as others have said, it's hard to imagine a formal statement that would answer those questions.

If Katrien is on holiday and according to Chris Parkes' wife BP will not be joining us until June 30, who put a bid in for Chris O'Grady and who is going to get the rest of the new players we need? If it is true BP will not be here until June 30 and the players report back on about June 23rd, who is taking them for pre-season training and what sort of message does this send out to new players, that the new manager reports back after they do? I thought he would want to be here to get to know the club and all the players including the new ones. If he is having a say on new players, surely he should be meeting the scouts to inform them what he wants. Perhaps everyone who says he is just a puppet on a string are right. I do hope not.
  • Options
    I thought everyone was about to walk away from the training ground project until RD came in and backed it, and that the plans had stalled while the spivs ran out of money.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Rothko said:

I thought everyone was about to walk away from the training ground project until RD came in and backed it, and that the plans had stalled while the spivs ran out of money.

I think one issue is that the spivs forced the person who put the business plan together and had all the contacts out of the trust. Consequently, RD may have to fill the gap if it gets built, but I'm not aware he has committed to this. Just as likely it won't be built?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

The few people Iv spoke to mate have said he likes to play good flowing football but concentrates on wing play nothing about hoofball.
    Okay! I heard that the concentration was on a big target man.. everything goes through him he's the centre piece.. I guess we will wait and see!
  • Options
    Apparently Mr Chapple is still around the club and heard he represented the club at a network scouting meeting! Maybe he is having a hand in scouting and choosing players! Pure speculation but wouldn't be terrible if he was!
  • Options

Rothko said:

I think one issue is that the spivs forced the person who put the business plan together and had all the contacts out of the trust. Consequently, RD may have to fill the gap if it gets built, but I'm not aware he has committed to this. Just as likely it won't be built?
    Are you saying that all this talk about academy players is his priority is a lie, and that he will not be completing the training ground project?