Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options
    Where are people getting Peeters is the cheap alternative from???
  • Options

Must be tough having to do Roland's dirty washing for him. So Jose Riga went out of his way to help us out, because of his good relationship with RD. Really! is this how you treat a friend who has gone out of their way to help you out?
    Sorry Katrien, you're a nice young lady, but we are not stupid.
    It sounds very much like we are being prepared for another relegation struggle, when we could have been looking forward to a possible playoff spot under Riga.

Hang on, what do you actually want? 'We hired Bob because we feel he's the best man' or 'we hired Riga and not who we felt was the best candidate because he's a mate'? Time will tell if Bob's the right choice but you don't hire a manager just because he's done you a favour
    I just like to see people treated decently, I perceive my club as being a decent club. The Powell decision could be justified based on poor results. The same couldn't be said of Riga, and the fact that she states that Riga also went out of his way to help us out, just makes the decision seem even more nasty and mercenary. Had she said "we couldn't agree terms", I would find that far more acceptable. No, you're right of course he shouldn't be given the job because he was RD's mate (He's not anymore according to his son Greg). He should have been given the job because he fitted in perfectly and did a bloody good job, oh and because he went out of his way to help us out.

• Options
    In all fairness, in Holland (Definitely in PSV stadium) they have massive heaters attached to the top of the stand pumping out heat when its cold
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

It's a football club, not a democracy, RD and co. are saying they did at least consider JR (no reason for them to lie about that) but went with another option. The board made a decision many fans aren't happy about. That is pretty much how every single club in the country is run the last I knew... or did United fans vote in Moyes then Van Gaal? Did Levy hand out ballot cards around Spurs fans before appointing Timmy Sherwood or Pochettino? I seem to remember the last Charlton manager appointed to near-universal acclaim was f***ing Pardew for god's sake, and look how that ended.

Another good point, no one wanted Curbs as full time manager when he was appointed, steve gritt was the preffered option from the fans perspective.
  • Options
    Not impressed.
    Still not happy.
    Not looking forward to August or the whole up coming season.
  • Options
    So we have gone from moaning about the lack of an official club statement, to moaning about the official club statement.
  • Options

Where are people getting Peeters is the cheap alternative from???

I thought that especially when we had too pay out compensation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are never even remotely happy. FACT
  • Options
    Whilst I'm happy the board have come out with something, it all comes across as lip service designed to appease us for the next period of time. Actions speak louder than words and until we do sign some players to create a 'strong team', I don't really believe this. As for the manage, we'll just have to get behind him and wait and see what he can do. Don't buy the reasoning for choosing Peeters over Riga though.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm certainly not anti Peeters. I want him to be a fantastic manager and I hope he brings success to us. It is not his conduct that worries me.

Can those who are criticising those of us in here who are less than impressed about this statement and it's content explain what they like about it?
  • Options

JWADDICK said:

I give up.

Why not? The club have.
    Pm me if you need the Samaritans tel number.

Why would I need that? Basically we're talking about a football club which has sold it's soul over the past few seasons with not even the benefit of a better life in the short term. Although I will mourn the loss of "my" Charlton I will continue to live a happy life until the day I die. I really don't understand what point you are trying to make and frankly if you believe that the fortunes of a Corporation like that headed by Duchatelet could ever be the reason for ending it all then you are in a far worse place than I could ever be and I advise you to check your own contacts for the Samaritans number ASAP.

Get a life FFS.
  • Options
    Just seen this message from Roland for the readers of Charlton Life.......

Plastic Bertrand - Brussels Institute of Needlework - August 1979
    Eddy Wally - Antwerp Miner's Shed - December 1975
    Jacques Brel - Liege Dog et Duck - March 1976
    Frederic Francois - Oostende Sailors Arms - Apr 1973
    OneDirection - Wembley Arena - Jan 2014

• Options
    I would love to know what these pros and cons were that determined that Peeters is the better candidate of the two.
  • Options

So what is it about Peeters that makes him such a catch?
    As noone on here was involved in the selection process we can't know - it's a results business so judge him on the results.
    Surely this statement was the ideal opportunity for the board to sell the new manager to us?
    The Club have just bought BP - why do they need to sell him to us?
    What does he have that Riga doesn't have?
    See first answer
    What is his philosophy?
    Nitzsche?
    When will he address the fans?
    When he's got something to say?
    And where the hell is Richard Murray in all this?
    On holiday?
    This statement is nothing more than lip service in an attempt to appease the rumblings of discontent.

• Options

I would love to know what these pros and cons were that determined that Peeters is the better candidate of the two.

Its certainly not obvious.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

As noone on here was involved in the selection process we can't know - it's a results business so judge him on the results.
    Surely this statement was the ideal opportunity for the board to sell the new manager to us?
    See first answer
    What is his philosophy?
    Nitzsche?

On holiday?
    This statement is nothing more than lip service in an attempt to appease the rumblings of discontent.

Cheers for that, Bob.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

See first answer
    What is his philosophy?
    Nitzsche?
    On holiday?

Cheers for that, Bob.
  • Options

Strange comments. No mention of Bob whatsoever and why he was the best man
    for the job

What ! Read it again.

Perhaps you should also read it again.

BigRedEvil said there is no mention of why Peeters "was the best man for the job" and there isn't.

She says:

“We looked at all aspects and, with a number of strong candidates, we had a difficult decision to make to choose between them,” continued Meire.

“Of course, all decisions come with an element of risk, but we balanced all the pros and cons and, finally, we came to a conclusion that we would go forward with Bob Peeters".
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I don't know why anybody would dig out Katrien personally for making a statement, or such a statement. If there is a personal aspect to this it is about Katrien showing loyalty towards Roland once decisions are finalised, which makes perfect sense.
    My only advice regarding statements is that in the future there ought to be a bit more forethought.
    I have a sense that the Jackson contract was a reaction to the response to Chris Powell leaving, the O'Grady leak on the same day as the Dyer interview as if to counteract stuff, this statement about Bob Bob Bobbin because of all the negative tweets on facebook.
    It (the overt information we do get) appears to be a bit clumsy, but underneath there is a desire to respond to fans urgent thoughts and feelings which signals to me the right kind of intent. The club do not want to alienate us, but they need to be a bit better in how they share stuff with us. A bit more subtlety, a bit more finesse, a bit more style, a bit more planning could go a long way and the communications network bloke ought to be on it more.
    We have already had the crossbars mix up, the season ticket mis-directions, the ill advised introduction of the sweat the asset concept. But the free programme and sea of red thing was quite a wholesome and innocent attempt to make a contribution together with the fans.
    There is no conspiracy to dupe us, but a desire to frame stuff in a positive way but I reckon there is room for improvement in how communications happen.

Agree with this Seth. It would be useful if the new network communications supremo is at the proposed meeting between Katrien and fans groups. Good, thoughtful, proactive and timely communications could do a lot to dispel some of the negativity being voiced on here and other social media. He should hear that directly.
  • Options
    But we already know that Peeters has the job. Surely it is not too much to expect some insight into why and what made him the ideal candidate?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

See first answer
    What is his philosophy?
    Nitzsche?
    On holiday?

Cheers for that, Bob.
    You're welcome, SJH ;-)
  • Options

CL: "Hey, hey Charlton, say something, hey... hey say something, we want you to say something"

[Insert Official Club Statement straight from Director of football club explaining the situation in detail]

CL: "Hey, hey Charlton, that's not what we wanted to hear, say something different, hey... hey say something, say we're going to be in the Premier League, say we're going to buy seven world class strikers (..mumbles about going down)"

Thank you for the official statement to the fans, it is appreciated. Onwards and upwards.

Fail to see how that statement explains anything 'in detail', particularly what is going on now and up until the beginning of the season.

Nor do I see people clamoring for Prem League. Or seven strikers. One would be nice though!

Bit of an inaccurate simplification of the situation to be honest.

Just like this:

"Who's picking the team Bob?"