Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options
    Better than complete silence, but that's not saying much. Any one here could have written 95% of this given a bit of thought and scanning of CL.

but seriously, what do you expect a corporate lawyer to say? If they have specific concerns about Riga, is it helpful (to him or CAFC) to air these publicly?

We're all more interested in deeds than words in any case, so securing Diego and Morro is what matters most
  • Options
    Riga was the right man, peters is a yes man, Roland's Puppet
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

In your expert opinion, yes, but not in the opinion of the people that actually matter.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Do you know him then ?

• Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2014
    Not sure what people expected. They made a decision and will live or die by it. None of us have any idea if it will work. Most didn't want Riga to go, blimey I didn't want Powell to go but can't think what else they can say. I'm very dubious about some of the decisions but they obviously think they're making the right ones, I do believe that they are honest in that. Glad that they are at least communicating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "He was a very serious candidate to get the job because he was so successful but, in the meantime, we looked at other alternatives. We looked at all aspects and, with a number of strong candidates, we had a difficult decision to make to choose between them, of course, all decisions come with an element of risk, but we balanced all the pros and cons and, finally, we came to a conclusion that we would go forward with Bob Peeters."

Am I missing something here. This sounds like the job was advertised and a shortlist of candidates drawn up and interviewed. I don't think this actually happened, did it?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Damned if you make a statement. Damned if you don't.

This...
  • Options
    Fair play to Katrien for issuing a statement as something is better than nothing and as others have said MS/TJ didn't communicate anything.

I'm in a similar situation at my workplace where one of my tasks is to be an official mouthpiece for a group of people higher up who are not exactly clued up on the realities of the business at ground level....and it's not an easy job.

So it sounds as if Bob has form at taking a group of 'unknowns' and turning them into something solid and relatively successful and that's why he is The Chosen One. Cue a summer of disappointment as our new arrivals are announced.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2014
    I don't think the statement per se is the issue - of course any communication is welcome (compared to the last lot).

It's the fact that it wasn't done as a matter of course when Jose left. It just seems so reactive and contrived after Riga's appearance a couple of weeks back on SSN, the social media bleating etc.

But hey, it's their club, they can do what the hell they want, when they want.
  • Options

"He was a very serious candidate to get the job because he was so successful but, in the meantime, we looked at other alternatives. We looked at all aspects and, with a number of strong candidates, we had a difficult decision to make to choose between them, of course, all decisions come with an element of risk, but we balanced all the pros and cons and, finally, we came to a conclusion that we would go forward with Bob Peeters."

Am I missing something here. This sounds like the job was advertised and a shortlist of candidates drawn up and interviewed. I don't think this actually happened, did it?

they may have approached people directly or via an agent/headhunter. Then there is the network... I'm not too concerned that they didn't put an ad in the Standard... :-)
  • Options
    I'd love to know who the other candidates were. If we believe what we read it was Peeters, Riga, the Belgian U21 coach and maybe Di Canio. I wonder if any British-based candidates were ever seriously considered.
  • Options

Must be tough having to do Roland's dirty washing for him. So Jose Riga went out of his way to help us out, because of his good relationship with RD. Really! is this how you treat a friend who has gone out of their way to help you out?
    Sorry Katrien, you're a nice young lady, but we are not stupid.
    It sounds very much like we are being prepared for another relegation struggle, when we could have been looking forward to a possible playoff spot under Riga.

Hang on, what do you actually want? 'We hired Bob because we feel he's the best man' or 'we hired Riga and not who we felt was the best candidate because he's a mate'? Time will tell if Bob's the right choice but you don't hire a manager just because he's done you a favour
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No word on current players who are out contract then. Just new players. Interesting. Fair play to her for coming out when it should be Roland.

But she's the mouth-peice for Rolly............

mrbligh said:

huh?

Is that you RD?

Personally, I just read it as "We considered Jose for the job, but he didn't do as he was told, naughty boy and ultimately, Bob was a cheaper option".................
    i think we can safely say i am not RD! :-0
  • Options

There is no doubt in my mind that KM reads this board and Facebook.

not sure whether she is one of the ones that reads directly or not (Hi Katrien!), but i have been told by different people that someone is tasked with collating feedback (i was told on a daily basis) and feeding it up the chain. not sure whether that includes the Would Ya's, but it would make for an interesting board meeting.

Firstly, its a welcome release. Its not burying head into sand, but it is giving a level of communication, albeit reactive. However, when you remove unknowns, you then allow yourself to be judged against.

Unless you view 'pros and cons' as 'one being a lot cheaper than the other', then they have made a clear statement that they believe that Riga, despite his performance, popularity and desire for the role, is not as good as Peeters.

They are creating unecessary additional risks with the decision, but ultimately time will tell whether that was the correct decision or not.

• Options

Must be tough having to do Roland's dirty washing for him. So Jose Riga went out of his way to help us out, because of his good relationship with RD. Really! is this how you treat a friend who has gone out of their way to help you out?
    Sorry Katrien, you're a nice young lady, but we are not stupid.
    It sounds very much like we are being prepared for another relegation struggle, when we could have been looking forward to a possible playoff spot under Riga.

Hang on, what do you actually want? 'We hired Bob because we feel he's the best man' or 'we hired Riga and not who we felt was the best candidate because he's a mate'? Time will tell if Bob's the right choice but you don't hire a manager just because he's done you a favour
    Good point.

They think a bloke most of us have never heard of was the best man for the job.

They have taken a risk, but if they have the brains then it was a neccessary risk.

Time will tell, im still going to be skeptical but with the thought that the new bloke better deliver straight away as according to the people that hired him, he will do a better job than Riga.

The aggressive fan/judgmental approach is now fully eligable.
  • Options
    WSS said:

He was a very serious candidate to get the job because he was so successful but, in the meantime, we looked at other alternatives. We looked at all aspects and, with a number of strong candidates, we had a difficult decision to make to choose between them, of course, all decisions come with an element of risk, but we balanced all the pros and cons and, finally, we came to a conclusion that we would go forward with Bob Peeters. It was a very difficult choice and it does not mean that we are not extremely grateful for José’s work at Charlton, just as we were grateful for the work of Chris Powell before him. After weighing up all the information an informed decision was made which, we think, will turn out to be the best thing for the club.”

i>

So as a very quick translation and without reading the rest of the thread, this says.."Jose wanted the job and we thought about it and also considered some alternatives. At the end of the day however Roland told us we had to take the cheapest option as it was his money we were considering spunking up the wall and the only man prepared to take the job at that price was this Millwall reject with virtually no experience."

• Options
    I give up.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

I give up.

Why not? The club have.
    Pm me if you need the Samaritans tel number.