Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM Speaks Out - Riga, Departures, Next Season

Comments

• Options

Ah.....the old "time to gel" excuse.

Hard to work out exactly what this phrase means, but for me a decent squad with decent coaching needs only a couple of hundred hours on the training ground and less than a dozen matches.

Fast forward to November 2014 when maybe KM says:

"The transfer market did not turn out exactly as we expected, seeing as most of the players we were interested in, were also being tracked by other clubs. This meant that we had to draft in players from other clubs in our network and these players have taken time to gel"

When our L1 title winning squad was assembled, many deals were completed in May / early June so that everyone had a decent pre-season. Players that have left us (Hamer/Green/Dervite) have already found clubs and have started "to gel" with their new teams already.

Waiting too long to get players is what left us with Spongefoot and Sodall last season - get a move on Charlton!

Those three have not even met their team mates yet never mind gelled with them. Please chill. It's still may !!!!!!

Can I "unchill" from Sunday, when it will be June ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I do find it weird that Bob Peeters hasn't come out with a statement of any kind. It's entirely normal, and even expected, for a manager to come out with something. Just like it's entirely normal to discuss these things when they happen to your football club, if you wanna call it moaning then that's fine, but you're wrong to slate people for talking about this and worrying about the situation
  • Options

Ah.....the old "time to gel" excuse.

Hard to work out exactly what this phrase means, but for me a decent squad with decent coaching needs only a couple of hundred hours on the training ground and less than a dozen matches.

Fast forward to November 2014 when maybe KM says:

"The transfer market did not turn out exactly as we expected, seeing as most of the players we were interested in, were also being tracked by other clubs. This meant that we had to draft in players from other clubs in our network and these players have taken time to gel"

When our L1 title winning squad was assembled, many deals were completed in May / early June so that everyone had a decent pre-season. Players that have left us (Hamer/Green/Dervite) have already found clubs and have started "to gel" with their new teams already.

Waiting too long to get players is what left us with Spongefoot and Sodall last season - get a move on Charlton!

Those three have not even met their team mates yet never mind gelled with them. Please chill. It's still may !!!!!!

Can I "unchill" from Sunday, when it will be June ?
    It's really up to you what you consider the most appropriate time to panic. IMHO I think you should start to worry late July if things don't look healthy on the squad acquisition front. That's my plan.

• Options
    It's times like these when you really really need a league game
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

My fear is that he might be an Ian Dowie.

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

JWADDICK said:

I give up.

Why not? The club have.
    Pm me if you need the Samaritans tel number.

Why would I need that? Basically we're talking about a football club which has sold it's soul over the past few seasons with not even the benefit of a better life in the short term. Although I will mourn the loss of "my" Charlton I will continue to live a happy life until the day I die. I really don't understand what point you are trying to make and frankly if you believe that the fortunes of a Corporation like that headed by Duchatelet could ever be the reason for ending it all then you are in a far worse place than I could ever be and I advise you to check your own contacts for the Samaritans number ASAP.

Get a life FFS.
    Not 100% sure but I think maybe he was having a joke.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Presents himself well from an employable perspective full of enthusiasm etc, but when it comes to actually doing the job he is a joke and has no previous record of any sustainable success.

Also bald.

He won't be, as he won't have anywhere near the levels of control over player purchases that Dowie had.
    Love how a few people know this . Wish I had the inside info .
  • Options
    It's times like these you learn to live again....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?
  • Options

This isn't a statement about the reasoning behind BP's appointment, its a thank you and goodbye to Riga.

It's as if some people expect the minutes from the candidate interviews!

oh no I dont require the minutes, just a quick brief on how they went would do me nicely lol :-)
  • Options
    "make us competitive" beginning to fecking hate that phrase.

can finish bottom and still be competitive

• Options
    Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

tbf mate this is one of the things we can be pretty sure of as Dowie was manager and Peeters is Head coach.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

Where do you get this blind faith from? I seriously can't get my head around it. Have you been living under a rock since January?

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

tbf mate this is one of the things we can be pretty sure of as Dowie was manager and Peeters is Head coach.
    But we don't know though do we ? We don't know if Peeters has met with Roland or scouts and asked for a few players ect , pochettino at spurs is a head coach are we saying he has no say aswell ?
    I'm not saying Peeters will do it all but for people to say he has no say , well no one knows that for sure same as the people saying rd is picking the teams it's a joke really .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

Laughable statement, RD appointed Riga when we were bottom of the league and heading to L1, we played more attacking football and stayed in the Champ, that alone is a reason to celebrate our new owner. So when you talk about 'Blind Faith' we did a bit of that keeping Powell longer than if he had not been an ex Charlton player and look where it nearly got us.
    Does no one understand what RD and co did for SL? Their fans bitched and moaned initially and now look at them.
    The statement says that they looked at several candidates and Bob was the strongest to lead our club, that alone tells me that they know what they are doing, add in the new work on the pitch, the investment in the training facilities etc then there is enough facts that tells any intelligent person to believe. That is fact. All the other rumours and conspiracy theories are just bullshit spread by sad individuals who have nothing better to do.
  • Options

This isn't a statement about the reasoning behind BP's appointment, its a thank you and goodbye to Riga.

It's as if some people expect the minutes from the candidate interviews!

oh no I dont require the minutes, just a quick brief on how they went would do me nicely lol :-)
    They went well.
  • Options
    Maybe it's the new pitch, 'a strong field to put positions on'.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

And it's not blind faith , Iv seen enough to think we're gonna start the season in a strong position on and off the field , why ? Well why not ?
    Please tell me what you've seen to give you the impression that "we're gonna start the season in a strong position on the field"
    Iv seen that Roland wants to build for the future , Iv seen that he's putting over 500k into a new pitch and he's had a part in the training ground development.
    The fact that we have bid over 500k for O Grady , we had 1.5m ready for gradel back in jan and km has just said they are working hard on deals and I trust they will do the right thing By learning from their mistakes of jan .
    Who knows what will happen but I'm not going to judge until beginning of august personally.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

Laughable statement, RD appointed Riga when we were bottom of the league and heading to L1, we played more attacking football and stayed in the Champ, that alone is a reason to celebrate our new owner. So when you talk about 'Blind Faith' we did a bit of that keeping Powell longer than if he had not been an ex Charlton player and look where it nearly got us.
    Does no one understand what RD and co did for SL? Their fans bitched and moaned initially and now look at them.
    The statement says that they looked at several candidates and Bob was the strongest to lead our club, that alone tells me that they know what they are doing, add in the new work on the pitch, the investment in the training facilities etc then there is enough facts that tells any intelligent person to believe. That is fact. All the other rumours and conspiracy theories are just bullshit spread by sad individuals who have nothing better to do.
    This ^ wished I had waited for you to write that, it's better than I wrote lol.

• Options

Katrien needs to be given a large break here. According to her mail to the Trust she is on holiday this week. I'd hazard a guess that she had no input whatsoever into this decision, but still tries to manage the fallout while on holiday. Reckon she deserves credit for that, even if inevitably she has not been able to answer all the questions people have. And as others have said, it's hard to imagine a formal statement that would answer those questions.

I agree Prague, well said,

although I am not sure she is still away, but even so I think she has tried to handle the situation. In the face of much hostility it seems that any thing she says will be denigrated.

Frankly the club, Duchatalet and Katrien are damned if the do and damned if they don't so why bother.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Ok, so they have thanked Riga. A little late in my opinion but at least there was some thanks.

KM also used the statement to mention the new manager. In my opinion, and I'm not in the process of slitting my wrists, tying a noose around my neck or ringing the Samaritans, she should have given more information about Peeters. I see that as a normal part of a managerial appointment; especially when the new man is unknown to many of the club's fans.

Would something along the lines of this been too much to ask?

'We know some fans are unaware of the new manager and his methodology and principles of football. We believe he is an up and coming young coach who shares our vision for the club, particularly around the importance of having a vibrant and successful youth policy.

He believes that, with our support and that of the fans, he can take Charlton to the next level within a certain timeframe and bring success back to the club. '

maybe if you are patient you will get another statement about Peeters.

It's only been 48 hours since he got the job.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Rothko said:

Dave2l said:

Also bald.

And it's not blind faith , Iv seen enough to think we're gonna start the season in a strong position on and off the field , why ? Well why not ?
    The original comment said he won't have anywhere near the level of control over transfers, the evidence so far is that he won't. Powell had absolutely no say in the January signings, he didn't even know they were coming until they turned up at the training ground. Hopefully now that RD has got someone he knows (although he knew Riga), he'll give the manager/coach more of a say in transfers, but I doubt it. Pretty sure we've got an Iranian bloke who does all the signings through scouts who sit in front of a computer screen.

And simply out of curiosity, what has given you the belief that we're in a strong position on the field? We haven't got a squad!