Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zak Ansah Thread

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Lurker said:

I've never seen either play and I doubt most people have but how this kind of signing can be seen as anything other than positive is baffling.

Edit - Forgot the quote button but this was in response to Paulie.

How is me not being over the moon about signing a 20 year old with no first team experience baffling
    as far as I can tell he has never even had a loan spell
    A 20 year old who is free, been at Arsenal academy, played and scored goals at the top youth level, what is their not to like. Do you expect us to sign a ready made 20 goal a season striker? ... aint happening
    Don't say things like that mate. You will have those pair of lovers Shooters Hill and Irving after you calling you a troll....

• Options
    edited June 2014

J BLOCK said:

Lurker said:

I've never seen either play and I doubt most people have but how this kind of signing can be seen as anything other than positive is baffling.

Edit - Forgot the quote button but this was in response to Paulie.

How is me not being over the moon about signing a 20 year old with no first team experience baffling
    as far as I can tell he has never even had a loan spell
    A 20 year old who is free, been at Arsenal academy, played and scored goals at the top youth level, what is their not to like. Do you expect us to sign a ready made 20 goal a season striker? ... aint happening
    People saying Joe Piggott aint ready He has scored more professional goals than Ansah and is younger
    No. No. No. Stop right there Paulie, I need to highlight a critical difference - Piggot has largely in L1 & L2 (a couple of games in the Championship too but he didnt stand out at all)

Piggy

2012– Present

Charlton Athletic

Games 11 Goals 0

2012–2013

Bromley (loan)

Games 5 - Goals 3

Gillingham (loan)

Games 7 - Goals 1

Ansah

U21 Premier League

Games 7 - Goals 1

(I think that's right anyway!)

• Options
    Ps look at Andy Ansah's wikipedia

Piggy 5.75 games per goal across 23 games
    Ansah is 7.00 games per goal as it stands having played 7 games.
  • Options
    I don't just see this as a development signing. I see it as one to push first team. He's the same age as both cousins & Harriott and they're not development players. He's started training already and with a full pre season under his belt let's see how he gets on.
  • Options
    Blimey, my son played in the under 8s or 9s academy team with him !
    Good luck Zak
  • Options

I don't just see this as a development signing. I see it as one to push first team. He's the same age as both cousins & Harriott and they're not development players. He's started training already and with a full pre season under his belt let's see how he gets on.

Could well be right, any negativity will be as there isn't much first team to push at the moment!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    cafctom said:

He didn't play for Arsenal's first team = Not good enough for Charlton.

Love the Charlton Life logic sometimes!

I'm neither defending nor sticking up for Piggy or Ansah.

I think both will be largely active in our future but I believe Ansah is smaller 5ft 9.5 (179cm) faster and probably tricky striker, whereas Piggy will stack up and become a less talented Kermorgant big man (only 6ft (183cm).

• Options
    The team has been missing raw pace up top ever since we let Danny Haynes go. It will be a breath of fresh air to be able to have someone who is capable of stretching play and pulling defenders out of position. Even if that is all they are capable of doing!
  • Options
    Ummm he played a lot of games as a defensive midfielder for the arse. All round a quality player but his body is his weakness...lets him down. A fit Zak is a massive signing for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

that is so underwhelming all this time we have been waiting for something to happen,
    then when it does it is this, seriously how will he improve our attack

A young kid who has come through all the academy ranks at Arsenal and made the bench in a Champions League game - don't you think he might, just might, be good enough to be an effective Championship player? Jase thinks so and that's good enough for me.
    made the bench, never played loads of players have made the bench, when Arsenal had already qualified so Wenger did not want to take his key players to Greece and he still never played
    Wenger paid a lot of money for Francis Jeffers and he turned out to be crap.

We need first teamers, not development squad players.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Zak. I seem to recall that Colin Powell, Paul Williams and Mike Flanagan were all "unproven" when they arrived at The Valley.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

that is so underwhelming all this time we have been waiting for something to happen,

A young kid who has come through all the academy ranks at Arsenal and made the bench in a Champions League game - don't you think he might, just might, be good enough to be an effective Championship player? Jase thinks so and that's good enough for me.
    made the bench, never played loads of players have made the bench, when Arsenal had already qualified so Wenger did not want to take his key players to Greece and he still never played

That was my point all along
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

Right now we have 22 players including the development players so as it stands there is no distinction.
  • Options
    I thought he was a forward for some reason?
  • Options

Welcome and good luck.

No one knows if he'll be a success or not. He clearly had enough to be kept on by Arsenal but he's now 20 and had little game experience. How much that was the injury we can't tell.

Plenty of players have to drop down the divisions to get games and then work their way back up. Lewis Grabben is a current example. Michael Turner another.

Plenty of others drift away and end up in non-league or not playing at all.

Is it a "wow" signing? No, not IMO but I doubt there are going to be many of them for a while. It's what he does for us that matters not his name, reputation or what he's done or not done before.

And it might not be the last signing of the summer. The players don't arrive in any order of talent, price, experience or position.

weird.
  • Options

I thought he was a forward for some reason?

He is
  • Options
    He's played as a forward but has played the last few times as a centre midfield.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

Ian Wright was an absolute nobody before signing for Palace and went on to be brilliant for Arsenal... which was a gamble by Arsene.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny how on the old thread people were talking him up, now everyone is moaning FFS it's a young guy willing to join us with charlton connections give him a break
  • Options

Welcome and good luck.

No one knows if he'll be a success or not. He clearly had enough to be kept on by Arsenal but he's now 20 and had little game experience. How much that was the injury we can't tell.

Plenty of players have to drop down the divisions to get games and then work their way back up. Lewis Grabben is a current example. Michael Turner another.

Is it a "wow" signing? No, not IMO but I doubt there are going to be many of them for a while. It's what he does for us that matters not his name, reputation or what he's done or not done before.

And it might not be the last signing of the summer. The players don't arrive in any order of talent, price, experience or position.

weird.
    odd
  • Options

He's played as a forward but has played the last few times as a centre midfield.

A number 10 it is then.
  • Options

Funny how on the old thread people were talking him up, now everyone is moaning FFS it's a young guy willing to join us with charlton connections give him a break

I aint seen many people moaning just me lol
    And the old thread was from 2011, when we was in League 1
  • Options
    RD signs young player shock!

Did not see that coming.

A warm welcome son and good luck.
  • Options
    Yes possibly but from what I've seen he is more in the Poyet mould, well in recent times anyway. A quality player wherever.
  • Options

Yes possibly but from what I've seen he is more in the Poyet mould, well in recent times anyway. A quality player wherever.

Where u getting Quality from, what has he done to make you say Quality
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

Ian Wright was an absolute nobody before signing for Palace and went on to be brilliant for Arsenal... which was a gamble by Arsene.

Come on clutching at straws - what is the Ian Wright:Failures ratio?
    I take your Ian Wright and raise you Chris Dickson.

I genuinely hope he turns out to be great for us, of course I do, but at moment I think we need to concentrate our resources on players who are likely to go straight into the first team, with a proven record at this level or higher.
  • Options

Welcome and good luck.

weird.
    odd
    Yes your comment was. Full of weird statements that mean nothing and no insight on the player. So yeah....weird.
  • Options
    I've seen Andy Ansah play many times for Southend. If Zak is half as good, we'll be doing alright.