Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zak Ansah Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Arsenal keeping him on till 20 means that clearly he has some talent, have some faith.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

that is so underwhelming all this time we have been waiting for something to happen,
    then when it does it is this, seriously how will he improve our attack

A young kid who has come through all the academy ranks at Arsenal and made the bench in a Champions League game - don't you think he might, just might, be good enough to be an effective Championship player? Jase thinks so and that's good enough for me.
    made the bench, never played loads of players have made the bench, when Arsenal had already qualified so Wenger did not want to take his key players to Greece and he still never played
    Wenger paid a lot of money for Francis Jeffers and he turned out to be crap.

We need first teamers, not development squad players.
    Ian Wright was an absolute nobody before signing for Palace and went on to be brilliant for Arsenal... which was a gamble by Arsene.
    Come on clutching at straws - what is the Ian Wright:Failures ratio?
    I take your Ian Wright and raise you Chris Dickson.

I genuinely hope he turns out to be great for us, of course I do, but at moment I think we need to concentrate our resources on players who are likely to go straight into the first team, with a proven record at this level or higher.

I agree Chris Dickson is a goal Machine that we failed to full utilise.

Senior career*
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2004–2006 Erith & Belvedere
    75 (35)
    2006–2007 Dulwich Hamlet
    34 (26)
    2007–2010 Charlton Athletic
    29 (0)
    2007 → Crewe Alexandra (loan)
    3 (0)
    2007 → Gillingham (loan)
    12 (7)
    2009 → Bristol Rovers (loan)
    14 (4)
    2010 → Gillingham (loan)
    9 (1)
    2010–2012 Nea Salamis
    44 (22)
    2012 AEL Limassol
    19 (3)
    2013 Shanghai Dongya
    5 (0)
    2013–2014 Dagenham & Redbridge
    25 (1)

• Options
    Genuinely quite excited about this transfer. Then again I was excited when we got Simon Church and Sordell
  • Options
    Positive move. Good luck to the lad. We need pace, hopefully he has the ability and heart to go with it and to make a difference.
  • Options

Welcome and good luck.

No one knows if he'll be a success or not. He clearly had enough to be kept on by Arsenal but he's now 20 and had little game experience. How much that was the injury we can't tell.

Plenty of players have to drop down the divisions to get games and then work their way back up. Lewis Grabben is a current example. Michael Turner another.

Plenty of others drift away and end up in non-league or not playing at all.

Is it a "wow" signing? No, not IMO but I doubt there are going to be many of them for a while. It's what he does for us that matters not his name, reputation or what he's done or not done before.

And it might not be the last signing of the summer. The players don't arrive in any order of talent, price, experience or position.

weird.
    odd
    Yes your comment was. Full of weird statements that mean nothing and no insight on the player. So yeah....weird.
    I've never seen him play so I don't claim to have any insight on the player. Just like most people on here.

Not sure what makes the other statements "weird" and you don't seem either willing or able to explain.

So as I said odd.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

bobmunro said:

that is so underwhelming all this time we have been waiting for something to happen,
    then when it does it is this, seriously how will he improve our attack

A young kid who has come through all the academy ranks at Arsenal and made the bench in a Champions League game - don't you think he might, just might, be good enough to be an effective Championship player? Jase thinks so and that's good enough for me.
    made the bench, never played loads of players have made the bench, when Arsenal had already qualified so Wenger did not want to take his key players to Greece and he still never played
    Wenger paid a lot of money for Francis Jeffers and he turned out to be crap.

We need first teamers, not development squad players.
    Ian Wright was an absolute nobody before signing for Palace and went on to be brilliant for Arsenal... which was a gamble by Arsene.

Wenger didn't sign Wright
  • Options
    Welcome Zak, provided that you don't try to sell me stuff I can't afford !
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Lurker said:

I've never seen either play and I doubt most people have but how this kind of signing can be seen as anything other than positive is baffling.

Edit - Forgot the quote button but this was in response to Paulie.

How is me not being over the moon about signing a 20 year old with no first team experience baffling
    as far as I can tell he has never even had a loan spell
    A 20 year old who is free, been at Arsenal academy, played at the top youth level, what is their not to like.
    ha, would you have said the same if the heading was Frimpong signs on a 2-year deal ?

Loads of youngsters at 'top clubs' completely fall away from it in their early 20s. I've a good feeling about Zak, though it looks like the knee injury he had in 11/12 seriously put him back. But i wouldn't just take a blanket approach that 'they're goona be good' just because they come from a top academy.

Not got a blanket attitude, just when weighing up our striker situation and a player with Zak's potential on a free becomes available, it becomes a decent deal IMO
  • Options
    As long as he is better than his dad I will be happy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MSE7 said:

As long as he is better than his dad I will be happy

Unbeleeeeeeviable....cheek
  • Options
    Just because he's been released by arsenal doesn't mean he can't make it at charlton. Let's remember arsenal are a top team so to make it into the first team you have to be pretty special. In no way that does that mean he can't be successful here.
  • Options
    Good luck Zak.
  • Options
    Why are people comparing Ansah to Pigott. They are both still young. Give them time and one doesn't have to be better than the other, they could be playing up top together in years to come. Lay off the pressure on them. That's the problem in England. Look what we have done to Wilshere, Rooney et al. Too much pressure on youngsters. Let them grow organically.
  • Options
    Thoroughly underwhelmed / totally overwhelmed please delete as appropriate in May 2015
  • Options
    your all trolls the lot of ya!!!!!!
  • Options
    Which part of Belgium is he from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well this cheered me right up after a 3 hour exam! I like this! The type of player I wanna sign! Young with lots of potential!
  • Options
    Put down your football managers and fifas people for goodness sake. Decent signing, but the first of many. I remember posters saying "if Danny Hollands is the calibre of player we're signing I'm worried". Same budget as Rochdale etc etc. Jordan Rhodes was released by Ipswich and yet he seems to have done okay! So many arsenal academy products are playing in the champ and prem. only thing I'm worried about is his knee, but if we could manage bwp and (to a degree) Haynes, then we can manage this guy's injuries.
  • Options
    Have those saying he's better than what we have seen him play? Not every 19/20 year old at a top club is good enough for the Championship.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Have those saying he's better than what we have seen him play? Not every 19/20 year old at a top club is good enough for the Championship.

Is it actually possible for him NOT to be better than Church. I mean four or five goals over an entire season and he would beat Church's record. That is literally all he would need.
  • Options
    So going by the comments on this thread if we sign him we can't sign any other players: the "Charlton transfer embargo" rule - I can see why people are so negative about it...
  • Options

He's still without doubt the best young player I've ever seen play, played in the same team as my little brother for years. Going to be weird watching him for us, good luck Zac!

Sounds promising.
  • Options

Another one for the development squad according to the OS:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140606-charlton-sign-zak-ansah-1617862.aspx

I must be dyslexic because I don't read it that way - quite the opposite. Euell says that he'll be 21 by the end of the season & so "one for the first team".

He may start off under Euell's wing but the way I read RD & also BP is that we'll be using more of the youngsters so I expect to see Ansah as part of the 1st team squad during the season.
    That's how I read it too.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

I often wish that some of the negative comments you get on here will never be seen directly by the player in question.
    This is one of those moments.
    Give the lad a chance FFS.

Lots of posts on here from different people saying similar to this but no posts actually saying anything bad about the lad that I can see. Maybe I am missing something but everyone is pretty positive about this arnt they?