Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Uruguay

Comments

• Options
    Suarez took both goals magnificently I just wish Gerrard hadn't passed it too him
  • Options
    I have never rated Hart but thought he was ok in this tournament. I did comment that he needed to stay up longer for the second but it was a marginal one! I woudl have gone with Ben Foster - but Harts selection wasn't the reason England will be coming home.
  • Options
    Usual bitty performance. Feel for all the fans out there. Any Charlton flags?
  • Options
    Simply gutted, nothing else to say tonight.
  • Options
    The players aren't very good but in the Premiership they perform better against a similar class of player.

The coach likewise needs to be more tactically aware. I still say he should have shut up shop at 1-1 versus Italy but he left that wing open. Tonight we just weren't brave enough.

The experts were saying Uruguay had a dodgy defence, we hardly tested it at speed. Too slow. I haven't a clue about us needing more width due to their narrow defence, but if the experts in the studios can see it why can't Roy?

I however could see after 20 minutes the Gerrard and Henderson looked poor and Sterling lost the ball 5 or 6 times.

Bad day all round, except for Rooney.
  • Options
    About three or four years ago I said that the only person who will take Joe Hart out of goal is Joe Hart and his arrogance

Keepers need to be arrogant and strong minded but Joe goes too far imo and his leaving the near post at corners and standing two paces too far forward will cost him Suarez tried twice and it wasn't luck it was homework

But he is by far the best England goaliev
  • Options
    It's all about the addicks this year to cheer us all up

Watch the boys fly this season
  • Options
    They marked Gerrard out of the game. Wonder why we couldn't do that against Piro? A half fit Suarez was far too good for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Well that's me done with thr world cup for another 4 years zero interest now.We have let 4 goals in and 3 of them have come from attackers getting on the wrong side of our centre halves. Takin Gerrard and Lampard was a waste of one player, playin Henderson and Gerrard was a waste of one player. We aint good enough, Johnson was shite in South Africa and still 4 years on he is playin.

Spot on, IMO Shelvey should have been there, least he would have made a tackle,

Mate, its horrendous.

Johnson, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner, and Rooney are the only shite left over from South Africa and IMO only Ronney should have been in the SQUAD (not the starting 11 on current form)

O said the day after the Germany game on their performave att his world cup they should never wear the shirt again.

Its a fckin carve up the whole lot of it.

Too add, I was happy to eat humble pie and watch Rooney put in a MOM performace
  • Options

About three or four years ago I said that the only person who will take Joe Hart out of goal is Joe Hart and his arrogance

Keepers need to be arrogant and strong minded but Joe goes too far imo and his leaving the near post at corners and standing two paces too far forward will cost him Suarez tried twice and it wasn't luck it was homework

But he is by far the best England goaliev

Fraser Forster is every bit as good as him, if not better. Butland will push him too over the next few years and maybe Stockdale.

Sorry nla, not picking on everything you say but you are making some good points tonight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is a decent keeper but not a great keeper.
  • Options
    Johnson was poor and should have closed down cavani for the first. Jagielka was caught in no mans land for the second.

Our defence was distinctly average and at this level that won't do. By euro 2016 I expect 3 of the 4 who started at the back tonight to be gone.

In midfield Gerrard was showing his age and much of the criticism levelled at JJ last year for being a step too slow applied to him. Unfortunately at this level that extra step proves far more costly, he looked an awful lot like his former teammate Xabi Alonso tonight, too slow and frustrated.

Henderson was industrious and all in all hasn't had a bad tournament. He isn't your superstar but he is a steady eddy that can balance your midfield.

Now the contentious part. Rooney/Sterling/Welbeck. Let's start with the easy one, Welbeck will run his socks off but he doesn't seem to fit any particular role. He isn't a winger but he isn't an out and out goal scorer. What he can do is win you the ball early in a high pressing game. He would fit the system Chile run and it is a system we will see more of over the next few years.

Sterling was marginalised tonight. He needs to be stronger, and he will get there, but we handicapped him tonight. Against Italy his pace, vision and direct style of play brought the best out of us. We shifted that out wide where his options were halved and two players could trap him more easily. He still needs to develop but there is hope for the future.

Rooney. A great individual talent but I don't feel he brings the best out of the team. By playing him in the middle we slowed down our game as he isn't as fast nor direct as Sterling. His goal was scrappy and came from their left back switching off. Maybe he would have been better switching with Sturridge.

Sturridge covered a lot of ground but looked a little lost out there. He plays best in a pair or off another striker, although a more direct style of play would allow him to use his pace more in a counter attacking game.

As a whole the team needs to work harder. We need to press higher up the pitch and look to win the ball back as soon as we lose it. For much of the game we were too pedestrian and content to sit back when out of possession. When we did get the ball (and we had a lot of possession) we slowed the game down which fed into the high possession. I wasn't surprised to see the first goal come from pressure on the halfway line and a direct ball to cavani. This style of play sees teams running straight at a disorganised unit and not let them regain their shape.

Our game allowed Uruguay to reorganise in ranks every time we attacked. Our goal came from a direct run by Johnson and their centre back scrambling back and bundling the ball through to Rooney.

Until we learn these lessons, work as a team and push on it doesn't matter who the players or managers are. The game is evolving and we need to catch up. Another group of talented players will come through but unless we get our act together it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Id like to add that he conceded exact same goal against Barca I belive as he did for Suarez second. He goes down far to easy, you watch his goal back and imagine what Schmeical would have done in the same scenario.
    It is a 100% coaching thing, David James said it, its what they are told to do in the England set up, contrary to what he was told to do at club level,

This is the problem, there are 10s of thousands of coaches in England (myself included) all being given their badges by abiding to a fckin football bible you have to adhere to that in all honesty is fcking useless as it has not produced any better perfomances for the national team.

No wonder all the English coaches are fckin miles of anything tactically

Now, who was it that helped the FA produce this Bible............
  • Options
    English coaches should go abroad and do their badges instead.
  • Options

Rooney has not deserved any of his criticism his record for England scoring goals is brilliant the English Way to build them up and knock them down

It affects ballotelli but the likes of Suarez nothing would phase them

Agree to an extent but he hasn't delivered when it really matters, the finals. To think he's on 300k pw. It's criminal.

• Options
    The team works hard enough. Rooney missed a fair few chances but has the ability to get into the positions to miss them. Sterling out wide should have worked - he has the game to be a threat there - but this was probably a better game for him to come on as sub. He is only a boy and the occasion got to him a bit.

It was pretty evident that if you got behind Uraguay and people in the box - that was their weakness - but there was a fear to take the risks and England came inside too often. Passing was not slick enough and Gerrard had the worst game I have ever seen him have. The defence is not up to the job - but the second choice defence looks even worse - basic marking mistakes ultimately cost us despite our deficiencies elsewhere!
  • Options
    I thought Hart could have done better for the 2nd also.

Nevermind, we'll still go through ;)
  • Options
    So NLA, let's not blame Rooney, but instead crucify Gerrard?

No wonder England never do well - talk about a destructive blame culture!!
  • Options

• Options
    I think we can observe Gerrard had a bad game!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    The central defense was awful today and we have no central midfield. Put those two together and you're not going to get very far. Mind you, if Suarez hadn't played we may well have won that because Uruguay looked poor apart from him.
  • Options

You can say that again ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Rooneys goal was hardly worth the wait .

I thought it was a brilliant team goal which I think Rooney started. If Spain had scored it, everyone would have creamed themselves.

Although it is a case of same old, I'm coming away from this WC feeling positive for the next couple of tournaments, we've got some great young players coming through. We just need to find a world class centre half and possibly change the management set up.

I'm most gutted about the fact that there's a hell of a lot of football coming up that I'm not give a f*ck about which is a real shame. Hopefully Italy at least beat Costa Rica so we go into the last game with some hope as I feel we deserve at least that.
  • Options
    Also, I don't exactly think Joe Hart inspires confidence back there.
  • Options
    We are not allowed to sub Rooney or Gerrard
    FACT
  • Options
    I agree to your points bar the first paragraph

Your like of Stiles, Charlton, Hurst, Moore, Etc etc never had facilities, they had a wall and jumpers for goal posts, its just about hunger and we don't have it in this generation
  • Options
    Suarez hammered that ball for the second at something probably close to 90 mph. I can't believe Hart stood a cat on hell of saving it.
  • Options
    This may be the beer talking but we are not out of it just yet, i will keep believing.