Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India Test Series

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

The one name I've not seen mentioned as a potential captain is Bell.

He has underperformed too but I don't think anyone (at this stage) would seriously suggest dropping him.

So why doesn't he seem to get a mention? Anyone know?

I think, Len, its because of the general perception that he's not a 'leader' - never seems very vociferous, and also is probably batting worse at moment than Broad or Jimmy are bowling. But, coming back to my previous point, if i was Bell, and then Morgan was brought in as Captain, i'd be pretty pi55ed off - wouldnt you !!??
  • Options
    I get the feeling that Bell is so passive that if the captaincy was given to Morgan, he wouldn't really care that much anyway...
  • Options
    Morgan is a 20/20 slogger not a test batsman by any stretch of the imagination. The Aussies used to pick the team and then choose the captain.

• Options

I remember when England parachuted in Chris Cowdrey to be captain! We need a leader, so let's bring in a successful county captain (with a good background). Sadly that didn't work out very well...

Bring in Chris Read of Notts as wicket keeper captain. Having a decent season with the bat (average 45) and an experienced captain.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

He has underperformed too but I don't think anyone (at this stage) would seriously suggest dropping him.

I heard something on Radio 5 last night that indicated he was somewhat indifferent to taking on the role.
  • Options
    Didn't Bell captain the England U19s?

Very different I know but suggests that when push comes to shove he might make a fist of it in the short term until either Cook recovers form and returns or a longer term successor, Root perhaps, is ready.

The President, I know you mentioned Broad higher up the thread and in some ways I agree. However generally I don't like bowlers as captain in the longer forms of the game as they need to focus on their own role in the field and if, as is rumoured, Broad is carrying an injury too it's not an ideal time for him. Hence my suggestion of Bell.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    LenGlover said:

Bell is very lucky that his position isn't under scrutiny (though I, for one, hope it is). His form during and since the Ashes tour has been woeful and if it weren't for the dismal form of Cook and others his position would be in serious jeopardy. He's surviving off (increasingly) past scores.
    As regards leadership potential, he could have shown that (and some metal) in Australia when Trott went home, put team before self and volunteered (demanded even) to be moved up the order to No 3, for which he was obviously the best qualified and for which all commentators were calling. Instead, a considerably less experienced Root (the "kid") was given the assignment, arguably the toughest job in the line-up, certainly against the Aussie attack.
    Bell has no bottle, I'm afraid, and is certainly no Captain.
  • Options

I remember when England parachuted in Chris Cowdrey to be captain! We need a leader, so let's bring in a successful county captain (with a good background). Sadly that didn't work out very well...

Bring in Chris Read of Notts as wicket keeper captain. Having a decent season with the bat (average 45) and an experienced captain.
    Many people want Read, but selectors are obsessed with picking batsmen who keep, rather than keepers...
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Bell is very lucky that his position isn't under scrutiny (though I, for one, hope it is). His form during and since the Ashes tour has been woeful and if it weren't for the dismal form of Cook and others his position would be in serious jeopardy. He's surviving off (increasingly) past scores.
    As regards leadership potential, he could have shown that (and some metal) in Australia when Trott went home, put team before self and volunteered (demanded even) to be moved up the order to No 3, for which he was obviously the best qualified and for which all commentators were calling. Instead, a considerably less experienced Root (the "kid") was given the assignment, arguably the toughest job in the line-up, certainly against the Aussie attack.
    Do we know that he didn't?

There is a school of thought that an experienced batter should go in at 5 or 6 to hold the tail together to eke out runs if (as happens often with England) the top order gets rolled over.

I don't know whether it was or wasn't but the powers that be may have preferred to leave Bell where he was for the reason I've given rather than him (Bell) bottling it.
  • Options
    Let's just bring back Rob Key and be done with this nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

His batting average is better than Cook's

:-)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

His batting average is better than Cook's

:-)
    Everybody's batting average is better than Cook's !
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

There is a school of thought that an experienced batter should go in at 5 or 6 to hold the tail together to eke out runs if (as happens often with England) the top order gets rolled over.

I don't know whether it was or wasn't but the powers that be may have preferred to leave Bell where he was for the reason I've given rather than him (Bell) bottling it.
    It's a rare occasion I don't agree with you Len but on this one we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

He did that role very well last season v OZ.
  • Options
    Or James Foster of Essex for 3 tests - WK/Capt
  • Options
    Only change seems to be Buttler for Prior unless Jordan and Woakes come in for 2 of the bowlers..
  • Options
    Whelmed
  • Options
    Reckon we need these guys at the top of the order: http://www.skysports.com/cricket/willowandstumpy
  • Options
    See Trott has got his first ton since his departure from the Ashes tour. First and foremost it is great to see that he has made a positive step in his personal fight.

I guess if he was feeling better in himself, would you consider him for this series? His problems seemed to be enhanced by touring, so I wonder if the selectors will check in with him for the remainder of the summer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching Carberry yesterday against Essex , we seem to have discarded him a little too quickly. I thought he did OK in Australia despite never going on to make a big score.
    I know he is probably not the future but we seriously need to sort out the now .
  • Options

See Trott has got his first ton since his departure from the Ashes tour. First and foremost it is great to see that he has made a positive step in his personal fight.

I guess if he was feeling better in himself, would you consider him for this series? His problems seemed to be enhanced by touring, so I wonder if the selectors will check in with him for the remainder of the summer?

A fit Trott is exactly what we need.

However that said let's see how he is over a sustained period of time. Marcus Trescothick copes at county level but does not want to play at international level any more. He suffered similarly if not identically to Trott.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A fit Trott is exactly what we need.
    Is he? I love Trotty as much as anyone but you can hardly call the number 3 position a problem at the moment with Ballance averaging 54.25
  • Options
    I would try Root opening again now he has some more confidence than last summer. Drop Cook down the order to 6 to try and find his feet again, and stick Trott in the middle order. Get some depth in batting so we can get 250 instead of 200.

Root
    Robson
    Ballance
    Bell
    Trott
    Cook
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Stokes
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Trott had another episode/set back/attack, just after the season started. So personally, I think England have enough problems, without recalling Trott, who is obviously not fully recovered.
    Personally, I don't think he'll ever play for England again. Why should he risk his health further, to play for an England team in turmoil ?
  • Options
    @DamoNorthStand can't see that lineup taking 20wickets.
  • Options
    Trott in for Plunkett ? Don't think so.
    Leaves us 3 bowlers & a part timer or two.
  • Options
    Root opening? Just when he has got comfortable in his current position? I'd leave him be
  • Options
    He might as well open - he is batting soon after we start anyway!
  • Options

@DamoNorthStand can't see that lineup taking 20wickets.

Really?

Pretty similar lineup to the ones that took 19 at Notts, and 20 at Lords. !