Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India Test Series

Comments

• Options

Such a difficult one, this, Cook needs to quit as captain and go away to work in his form, but there are so few other options.

Why? As Nasser Hussain just said 'Does he make a difference?' - the answer is no - therefore the simple resolution is for him to go away - temporarily or permanently. There are plenty of people ready to jump into his shoes - after all, they start from a low starting point - the only way is up - it cant get much worse. He's quite clearly a poor captain, and i have been saying that even when England were winning.
  • Options
    I agree, and I'd drop him, but it's difficult to know who to replace him with at the moment.

Probably agree Morgan is as good a bet as any, would rather Root concentrated on his batting.
  • Options
    Bit of class from Prior. Jos needs to step up with the gloves for the rest of the summer.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So you'd bring in Morgan, a player, deemed not good enough for the Test side, to captain England ?
    Very dubious decision that. The only time that's worked in my lifetime is Mike Brearley and he was an exceptional captain.
    Personally, I think it's out of Broad, Anderson & Root. None are ideal, but I'd go for Broad (assuming he's fit enough to play and I don't reckon he is 100%).
    I'd bring Jordan back for Stokes and tbh I thought Jordan was desperately unlucky to be dropped in the first place.
    Buttler obviously in for Prior.
    Perhaps, Bell or Root should open for Cook and drop him to 3 or leave him out & bring in someone lower down the order. I can't see an obvious replacement opener for Cook.
  • Options

So you'd bring in Morgan, a player, deemed not good enough for the Test side, to captain England ?
    Very dubious decision that. The only time that's worked in my lifetime is Mike Brearley and he was an exceptional captain.
    Personally, I think it's out of Broad, Anderson & Root. None are ideal, but I'd go for Broad (assuming he's fit enough to play and I don't reckon he is 100%).
    I'd bring Jordan back for Stokes and tbh I thought Jordan was desperately unlucky to be dropped in the first place.
    Buttler obviously in for Prior.
    Perhaps, Bell or Root should open for Cook and drop him to 3 or leave him out & bring in someone lower down the order. I can't see an obvious replacement opener for Cook.

Well put CE, i cant see what planet Micheal Vaughan was on to suggest Morgan - its not as if he's scored any runs this season ! Total madness.
    Jordan in for Stokes. Buttler for Prior, Carberry or Vince or Lyth instead of Cook, and Broad is obvious choice for captain - cant see why anybody would mention anyone else.
  • Options
    If its Carberry or Lyth at least it keeps a left-right partnership as openers.
  • Options
    Broad is actually a prime candidate to be dropped/rested, as both Vaughan and Boycott have suggested on C5!

His bowling is poor at the moment, his batting isn't much cop either, and with the workload of the Tests all crammed together, plus him playing in ODIs and T20s, and injury worries, he shouldn't be an automatic pick. Stokes may have played a brain dead shot today, but his bowling in this match tested the Indians far more than Broad's.
  • Options
    I would suggest that none of the senior players are doing much because of their exasperation of Cook - it certainly seems that way with Broad and jimmy - as mentioned by Simon Jones on SKy tonight.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Broad is actually a prime candidate to be dropped/rested, as both Vaughan and Boycott have suggested on C5!

His bowling is poor at the moment, his batting isn't much cop either, and with the workload of the Tests all crammed together, plus him playing in ODIs and T20s, and injury worries, he shouldn't be an automatic pick. Stokes may have played a brain dead shot today, but his bowling in this match tested the Indians far more than Broad's.

Absolutely. To be fair to Broad, Botham reckons he's got a knee twinge and should take time out to get sorted.
    In any event, it's pretty weird logic to replace a player who's an ordinary captain and woefully out of form with another player who is a proven ordinary captain (albeit it in T20s) also woefully out of form.
  • Options

I don't disagree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same problem as the football team by the way - who is there? Will probably be Rooney but he'll be poor. Cahill? Hart?
  • Options
    I remember when England parachuted in Chris Cowdrey to be captain! We need a leader, so let's bring in a successful county captain (with a good background). Sadly that didn't work out very well...
  • Options
    Morgan would make more runs than Cook and could be given the remaining games against India. Nothing to lose really.
  • Options

I remember when England parachuted in Chris Cowdrey to be captain! We need a leader, so let's bring in a successful county captain (with a good background). Sadly that didn't work out very well...

Exactly. Please dont go down that route again.
    the only option is Broad.
  • Options
    Morgan has played tests and scored centuries- sometimes you have to try things and see if it works. Write off this series and we might learn something useful.
  • Options

Exactly. Please dont go down that route again.
    the only option is Broad.
    But he's out of form, tired and nursing an injury. He needs a break as much as Cook!
  • Options

In view of Stoke's average over the last 10 Test Innings (circa 3, with 4 consecutive noughts), i would say that his bowling isnt good enough to warrant a place just because of it.Plunkett has scored more runs in the first innings of the last test than Stokes over his last 10 innings ! He has to go, as Jordan will provide a much better all-round answer.
    I have never known sooo many senior players out of form - it can only be down to the incapability of the captain. Watch, as soon as he's gone, the whole scene will pick up almost immediately.
  • Options
    I refer you honourable gentlemen to the reply l gave in the 2nd paragraph of my post on page 6 of this thread. Jimmy is the (temporary) man. Has tactical nous, is leader of the bowling pack. Allegedly. Until Root is ready in a year or two.

Has to be someone worth their place in the team, and there are hardly any of those left. Bell isn't a leader and Broad should be dropped.
  • Options

In view of Stoke's average over the last 10 Test Innings (circa 3, with 4 consecutive noughts), i would say that his bowling isnt good enough to warrant a place just because of it.Plunkett has scored more runs in the first innings of the last test than Stokes over his last 10 innings ! He has to go, as Jordan will provide a much better all-round answer.
    I have never known sooo many senior players out of form - it can only be down to the incapability of the captain. Watch, as soon as he's gone, the whole scene will pick up almost immediately.
    Sadly I'm not sure it will. Worth a try though!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I refer you honourable gentlemen to the reply l gave in the 2nd paragraph of my post on page 6 of this thread. Jimmy is the (temporary) man. Has tactical nous, is leader of the bowling pack. Allegedly. Until Root is ready in a year or two.

Has to be someone worth their place in the team, and there are hardly any of those left. Bell isn't a leader and Broad should be dropped.

Once again a valid option. However, Anderson is awaiting a discipllinary hearing for the Jadeda incident and could be banned. So I don't see how he can be chosen. We'd look even more foolish, if we chose Anderson and he was then banned for the next Test match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's if he's not banned, of course.
  • Options

That's if he's not banned, of course.

They are meant to be naming the team tomorrow !
  • Options
    Liam Plunkett it is then. I'm sure he'll be a great captain :-)
  • Options

Morgan would make more runs than Cook and could be given the remaining games against India. Nothing to lose really.

I think the whole team has scored more runs than Cook (aside from Stokes, of course)
  • Options
    i was championing Morgan ,and still would, at the beginning of the year ...he looked poor against ajmal in the series v pakistan in dubai ,other than that he has a decent enough test record ,the problem is the selectors put all there eggs in one basket making Cook skipper on the assumption that he could a) be a decent skipper and b) open the batting for England for years to come ...b) may have been a reasonable assumption but you always have to consider the what ifs ...we really have a problem now and this been manifested in so many ways ..the players dont seem to be bothered about playing for Cook or even worse for the honour ...the standards of bowling and batting fall far below what youd expect (if i was the skipper yesterday i dont know who id want to punch first root prior or stokes but of course you lack any authority if your own decision making and batting is just as poor).

Riviera used to make some decent posts about cricket what happened to him ?

• Options
    I'd drop Cook to six and open with Moeen Ali for the rest of the series. If nothing comes of it then, we look elsewhere and give Cook time to get his head right.
  • Options

I'd drop Cook to six and open with Moeen Ali for the rest of the series. If nothing comes of it then, we look elsewhere and give Cook time to get his head right.

Thats actually a good call Callum, well, the Ali bit is, im not so sure about the keeping Cook part, but maybe use Moeen as an opener - its his usual position for his county.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

i was championing Morgan ,and still would, at the beginning of the year ...he looked poor against ajmal in the series v pakistan in dubai ,other than that he has a decent enough test record ,the problem is the selectors put all there eggs in one basket making Cook skipper on the assumption that he could a) be a decent skipper and b) open the batting for England for years to come ...b) may have been a reasonable assumption but you always have to consider the what ifs ...we really have a problem now and this been manifested in so many ways ..the players dont seem to be bothered about playing for Cook or even worse for the honour ...the standards of bowling and batting fall far below what youd expect (if i was the skipper yesterday i dont know who id want to punch first root prior or stokes but of course you lack any authority if your own decision making and batting is just as poor).

Riviera used to make some decent posts about cricket what happened to him ?

I am really quite incredulous about this clamour for Morgan as captain all of a sudden !!.
    WHY ?? What has he done this season to even be near the team ? How many runs has he scored for Middx ? - not a lot as far as i remember ?
    Good chance of the team getting even worse if he were to be used (if there was ever a chance of getting worse!) - they HAVE to stay with the possibles in the team they have - else if it goes wrong again, then where do they turn ? - it certainly wouldnt be very inspiring for say, Broad or Bell or even Jimmy, if they brought Morgan in, ignored them, then Morgs effs it up and the selectors come back running with their tale between their legs to Broad,Bell or Jimmy , would it .??
    If it were me i'd tell them where to stick it.
  • Options
    Just my opinion but the only players worthy of their place in the team at the moment on current form are Robson, Ballance, Root, Ali & Anderson. All other places are up for grabs.

Obviously, I don't think the ECB will make that many changes but it certainly makes for an interesting squad announcement this afternoon. I reckon there'll be at least 3 changes
  • Options
    The one name I've not seen mentioned as a potential captain is Bell.

He has underperformed too but I don't think anyone (at this stage) would seriously suggest dropping him.

So why doesn't he seem to get a mention? Anyone know?