Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India Test Series

Comments

• Options
    oooooh close to the edge right away
  • Options

4 slips, a gully and a backward point greet Kumar ...

Bloody hell, has Cook gone off the field?
  • Options
    Question: Has the slower ball been banned in Test Match cricket ??!!
  • Options
    Lunch. 267-7. Lead by 243.

England need to be batting before tea.
  • Options
    Jadeja out for a brilliant 68, india's lead over 300 now...
  • Options
    Where have MOG and Riviera gone ? they always commented on the cricket.
  • Options
    Cook has to resign now.
    Go back to county cricket and get some runs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Go back to county cricket and don't come back. The English think the mainful thing to do is to tough it out - but it really is to duck out when you are a liability in your batting and tactics. The coward has been sussed out and England need a brave captain above all else now.
  • Options

go back to county cricket and don't come back.

Yeah we have so many world class batsmen to step in. Form is temporary, class is permanent. We need Cook back at his best.
  • Options
    it is permanent where he is concerned is it? That is part of the problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah - found right out. I guess all those centuries, runs and winning performances up until the last 18 months were just a fluke, right? Cook is going through a dip in for. He needs to relinquish the captaincy, drop himself or get dropped then sort his form out. Not get put out to pasture when he has another ten years left in him as a first class batsman.
  • Options

Yeah - found right out. I guess all those centuries, runs and winning performances up until the last 18 months were just a fluke, right? Cook is going through a dip in for. He needs to relinquish the captaincy, drop himself or get dropped then sort his form out. Not get put out to pasture when he has another ten years left in him as a first class batsman.
    I sort of agree with this. His record (and average) says he is a good batsman - just going through a lot with captaincy at moment - i'm sure he will come back as a master batsman again once the pressure of captaincy is taken away.
  • Options
    I think that Broad should be made skipper. He impressed me with his captaincy in ODI's - not sure you can make Bell or Prior captain when they also arent performing.
  • Options

I think that Broad should be made skipper. He impressed me with his captaincy in ODI's - not sure you can make Bell or Prior captain when they also arent performing.

Make Root Captain.
  • Options

Make Root Captain.
    Cant see it - needs more experience - cant see the likes of Jimmy,Belly,Broad taking him seriously.
  • Options
    It's more than a dip though isn't it

Bowlers know exactly how to get him out

Right arm over the wicket aim for off, get the nick job done

He isn't at test level any more, these Indians aren't particularly great but the likes of Johnson and Harris would destroy him in England

I'd go Broad with Root as vice captain.
  • Options

It's more than a dip though isn't it

Bowlers know exactly how to get him out

Right arm over the wicket aim for off, get the nick job done

He isn't at test level any more, these Indians aren't particularly great but the likes of Johnson and Harris would destroy him in England

I'd go Broad with Root as vice captain.

And Oz are the tourists next year !
  • Options

Make Root Captain.
    Cant see it - needs more experience - cant see the likes of Jimmy,Belly,Broad taking him seriously.
    The way they are bowling, bearing in mind they are the 2 senior bowlers, Anderson and, particularly, Broad will be lucky to keep their places in the team.
    Who cares what Bell thinks?
  • Options
    I said it under Vaughan, and strauss.. too much for a captain to be an opener as well.. This is part of the reason Vaughan dropped to three! Think this would be a great idea for cook relive the pressure on him give him time to settle after the toss or after being captain on the field! Sometimes you get the impression when they're seven down he switches on to batting rather than fielding.. drop to three see if that helps!
  • Options

Make Root Captain.
    The way they are bowling, bearing in mind they are the 2 senior bowlers, Anderson and, particularly, Broad will be lucky to keep their places in the team.
    Who cares what Bell thinks?
    Well, it matters a lot, because regardless of his performances this season, he has been our best batsman by a mile for last 2/3 years, and unlike Cook, doesnt have a fundamental flaw to iron out. Therefore we need to have a skipper who has the respect of the elders who will remain in the team- i'm not sure Root, despite his reasonable performances so far , has done that yet. Also, what happens should the same problems as Cook beset Root after taking over?? To me, its not a matter of passing the hat around til we find someone that works - it has to be carefully thought out else we run the risk of destroying the confidence of everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually think they should stick with Cook - like Sheff Utd, he'll come good. He did well last summer and in India, and he's been unlucky in losing key players like Trott and Swann. Australia was obviously just a disaster, could have happened to anybody. And who replaces him at the top of the order? Not convinced by Robson, and not sure who the next cab off the rank is, so could look very weak up there if he goes.

If he does go though, l have a different take. I would make Anderson captain, with Root as VC - don't want to saddle him too early. It would be a short-term (2 years max) thing in the absence of any stand-out candidates, a bit like Bob Willis with Gower as VC groomed to take over. Anderson would be on-field captain, Root off - doing media, being golden-balls etc, until it's his time. By all accounts, a lot of Cook's successes this summer (Bell catch at leg slip, Root catch at third man etc) have been Anderson's idea in any case, so he obviously has something of a cricketing brain on him and at least his place in the team is assured - unlike some of the other candidates.

Could do worse.
  • Options
    Change cooks name for Compton and see how long would last in the team with those scores.
  • Options
    The problem for England is that none of the senior players, one of which might take over as Captain, are playing well either,
    Bell's form is as bad as Cook's at the moment.
    Prior isn't batting or keeping well
    Neither Anderson nor Broad are bowling that well at the moment, yesterday especially Broad bowled a load of rubbish, the natives were getting restless! And will both play all 5 Tests this series?

Root is far too young to take over, he's still a kid.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

The problem for England is that none of the senior players, one of which might take over as Captain, are playing well either,
    Bell's form is as bad as Cook's at the moment.
    Prior isn't batting or keeping well
    Neither Anderson nor Broad are bowling that well at the moment, yesterday especially Broad bowled a load of rubbish, the natives were getting restless! And will both play all 5 Tests this series?

Root is far too young to take over, he's still a kid.

Agree with you entirely about the complete absence of contribution and "leadership" from ANY of Cook, Bell, Prior, Anderson and Broad for a number of Tests now.
    Root is young (of course) but hardly a kid at 23.
    Atherton was 25 when he became England Captain.
    Botham was 24
    Cook was 25, though during Strauss's term.

Not ideal of course but it is not credible for Cook to continue as Captain given his woeful fom with the bat. No other "senior" player is showing consistently better form.
    It would be a ballsy move but all reports and indications suggest he is Captaincy material, bats in the middle order (so avoids the incessant pressure of an opener-captain). Options are very limited and better to bite the bullet now for him to cut his teeth before th Aussies arrive.
  • Options
    On the Sunday morning Cricket Writers programme on a Sky hosted Paul Allott, there was a brief discussion about Read becoming an interim captain - keeps well, bats ok and an experienced skipper. It's not such a bad idea while younger players develop and the old guard, who are generally out of form, either recover their form or give way to others. Whatever happens, the England team will not be as strong as it was for a few years.
  • Options
    The bottom line is the senior players are letting down England badly. Broad and Anderson bowled really awfully in the first innings. Cook needs to be relieved of the captaincy and sent back to Essex to rediscover his form. Bell and Prior are not doing it either. England looked badly scarred by what happened to them in Australia, they have forgotten how to win. I also think the top of the order is the wrong dynamic. Robson Cook and Ballance are all defensive players, so we never get off to a quick start. Australia have got it right with Rogers who is defensive and Warner who is a stroke player. We need to bring in somebody like Hales, Vince or Roy and tell them to play their shots. My England team would look something like this.
    Robson, Vince, Ballance, Bell, Root, Moeen Ali, Butler, Stokes, Broad, Plunkett, Anderson.

I would have Broad as captain. I think he has more creativity, he is a fighter and I think his bowling will not suffer as much as Cook's batting has.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

The bottom line is the senior players are letting down England badly. Broad and Anderson bowled really awfully in the first innings. Cook needs to be relieved of the captaincy and sent back to Essex to rediscover his form. Bell and Prior are not doing it either. England looked badly scarred by what happened to them in Australia, they have forgotten how to win. I also think the top of the order is the wrong dynamic. Robson Cook and Ballance are all defensive players, so we never get off to a quick start. Australia have got it right with Rogers who is defensive and Warner who is a stroke player. We need to bring in somebody like Hales, Vince or Roy and tell them to play their shots. My England team would look something like this.
    Robson, Vince, Ballance, Bell, Root, Moeen Ali, Butler, Stokes, Broad, Plunkett, Anderson.

I would have Broad as captain. I think he has more creativity, he is a fighter and I think his bowling will not suffer as much as Cook's batting has.

Thats a heck of an inexperienced batting line-up Dick, but somehow i agree with your comments.
  • Options
    We've got Jimmy to save us at the end..

;)
  • Options
    why have a captain?

Let the bowler set his own field, and any change of bowling is indicated from those in charge up on the balcony where they can see exactly what is going wrong (or right).
  • Options
    The last time India won a Test at Lords the England captain, who had won the Ashes the previous summer but suffered a 5-0 whitewash in the following winter tour, was sacked.

Just sayin.