Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So how was the A block?

Comments

• Options
    It is a major issue isn't it.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

It is a major issue isn't it.

Are we only allowed to discuss major issues now? That's torn it.
  • Options
    Sorry, it's not major......it's massive.
  • Options
    It works when you sell out (like at Arsenal perhaps...), not so much when you're at about 40% capacity with freedom to move around.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As much as it pains me Henry.

THIS.
  • Options
    I like the idea of making seats cheaper and attracting more fans, increasing the fan base etc. Just not sure why they didn't think this through a bit more. It might have made more sense to have these seats in the NE quad and move the family stand next it rather than near the away fans. It also seems daft to reduce the away capacity albeit this has only affected Watford so far. But 100 or so seats at £30 may only be £3k but it does seem a waste. And the black tarpallin cover will be like red rag to a bull when Millwall roll into the Valley. They might rip it up like they do at Palace. I think anyone in A block who wants to move that day is very sensible.
  • Options
    I do not think there was any black tarpallin covering the seats in the JS at the Watford game.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I do not think there was any black tarpallin covering the seats in the JS at the Watford game.

I think that's correct.
  • Options
    What about people who paid for more expensive seats and then move into empty seats in A block to be with mates - it does happen.

People have been sitting in seats they have not been allocated for yonks. Much to do about nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've gone the other route and actually sitting on my allocated seat for the first time in three years
  • Options

I've gone the other route and actually sitting on my allocated seat for the first time in three years

Ban this guy。
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

I think that's correct.
    Surely you can check one of your Intel photos?
  • Options

I still think they should just rubber stamp their foreheads :-)

I still think they should just rubber stamp their foreheads :-)

Thanks you illistrate my point nicely.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    IAgree said:

I am really confused about peoples reaction to this whole thing.

There was initial hostility, then months of taken the mick out of anyone who had brought a season in A Block. Now it seems that we are under intense scrutiny from around the ground regarding our attendance and the noise we make.

Some people were heart and soul opposed to the new owners and anything they suggested. They missed no opportunity to jump on any mistakes made by the Club and even suggested a Season ticket strike FFS! The same people are now scrutinising the A Block initiative from the point of view of missed revenue!

The fact is this Club, the pitch, the training facilities, the Academy, the seats, the ground the pricing and the football have transformed inside of ten months. Good job too because by January the general situation, football and ground was dire and not at all enjoyable.

and still do
  • Options
    IAgree said:

There was initial hostility, then months of taken the mick out of anyone who had brought a season in A Block.

Although IAgree (see what I done there?) with your post, the taking the mick about A block was just banter, mainly stirred up by MSE7. I for one had many a crack about it, even though I'm one of the A block "pikeys".

As I have said before, I really don't think there was a mass exodus from other parts of the stadium. Most of those who sit around me are either fans who have stopped going (due to being priced out) or just casual football fans, wanting to attend a decent standard of match at non-league prices. The 2 brothers who sit to my left are a prime example. They've been coming to the valley on & off since the 70's and also go to Millwall (which they admit to being their team more than Charlton). In the past, they usually attend 3-4 valley games per season, so to add them to the numbers every home game can only be a good thing.

Sitting on my right is a guy in his mid 30's and his young son. He used to be a regular, but family got in the way, so found himself priced out of attending more than the odd game. His son has started to take an interest in football, so these ticket prices appeal to him. Me personally, I didn't renew my ST last season for both financial and entertainment reasons, so this suited me also.

I would take a guess at saying these are the people the cheap STs (inc block B) were aimed at, so personally I see it as a successful move by the club............
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    IAgree said:

There was initial hostility, then months of taken the mick out of anyone who had brought a season in A Block. Now it seems that we are under intense scrutiny from around the ground regarding our attendance and the noise we make.

Some people were heart and soul opposed to the new owners and anything they suggested. They missed no opportunity to jump on any mistakes made by the Club and even suggested a Season ticket strike FFS! The same people are now scrutinising the A Block initiative from the point of view of missed revenue!

The fact is this Club, the pitch, the training facilities, the Academy, the seats, the ground the pricing and the football have transformed inside of ten months. Good job too because by January the general situation, football and ground was dire and not at all enjoyable.

That's just bollocks, but never mind the facts, eh?

Many people welcomed the new owners, recognising what preceded them, but opposed the sale of Kermorgant, the introduction of new players not up to Championship standard and the owner instructing the manager to play them, culminating in his sacking. Plenty of credit has been given by the same people for things done since, but it's clear that in other areas mistakes have been made and continue to be made. I spoke at length to Katrien Meire on the day of the Middlesbrough game and she acknowledges that, so it's a shame some of you can't do the same or even tolerate the existence of views other than your own.
  • Options
    Since I've been going Cafc "a lot of years" I have stood & sat in covered end & N U and only moved to A block for atmosphere / banter with away fans, so far a bit disappointed with numbers & noise in A block, hope it improves otherwise back to NU
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IAgree said:

Many people welcomed the new owners, recognising what preceded them, but opposed the sale of Kermorgant, the introduction of new players not up to Championship standard and the owner instructing the manager to play them, culminating in his sacking. Plenty of credit has been given by the same people for things done since, but it's clear that in other areas mistakes have been made and continue to be made. I spoke at length to Katrien Meire on the day of the Middlesbrough game and she acknowledges that, so it's a shame some of you can't do the same or even tolerate the existence of views other than your own.
    but did she buy a VOTV?

• Options

IAgree said:

but did she buy a VOTV?

I thought I saw her selling a batch outside the West Stand after putting the corner flags out, so she would get a complimentary copy as payment in kind.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

IAgree said:

Many people welcomed the new owners, recognising what preceded them, but opposed the sale of Kermorgant, the introduction of new players not up to Championship standard and the owner instructing the manager to play them, culminating in his sacking. Plenty of credit has been given by the same people for things done since, but it's clea that in other areas mistakes have been made and continue to be made. I spoke at length to Katrien Meire on the day of the Middlesbrough game and she acknowledges that, so it's a shame some of you can't do the same or even tolerate the existence of views other than your own.
    Well you could have fooled me! You didn't welcome them! You tried to instigate a Season Ticket strike very publicly on this website in March! And you gave a detailed explanation of why!

If you have changed your mind why are you obsessing over A Block, encouraging people to see it as a failure and getting sent photos from spy's in the West Stand

By the way, why would I automatically know that you sat in the East Stand??
    You obviously move in exalted circles and are clearly more important than me.! Katrien ehh!

I am just someone who started attending games ten years ago and loves going to see Charlton. I have found a way to do this and save some cash. This does not make me thick, criminal or somehow a second rate fan for malcontents across the stadium to to
    Target.
  • Options
    This issue is with people paying 300+ quid for their seat, and having people who have paid 150 quid coming along and sitting in the same area.

Doesnt matter which regime instigated this scheme, or which poster(s) are commenting on the scheme, the scheme is fundamentally flawed.

No one is saying 150 quid tickets are bad.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

This issue is with people paying 300+ quid for their seat, and having people who have paid 150 quid coming along and sitting in the same area.

Doesnt matter which regime instigated this scheme, or which poster(s) are commenting on the scheme, the scheme is fundamentally flawed.

Some people just don't get it, do they ?

Would a supermarket have a sale on mince and let the customer stroll off with top of the range steak for the same price ?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    IAgree said:

IAgree said:

Many people welcomed the new owners, recognising what preceded them, but opposed the sale of Kermorgant, the introduction of new players not up to Championship standard and the owner instructing the manager to play them, culminating in his sacking. Plenty of credit has been given by the same people for things done since, but it's clea that in other areas mistakes have been made and continue to be made. I spoke at length to Katrien Meire on the day of the Middlesbrough game and she acknowledges that, so it's a shame some of you can't do the same or even tolerate the existence of views other than your own.
    Well you could have fooled me! You didn't welcome them! You tried to instigate a Season Ticket strike very publicly on this website in March! And you gave a detailed explanation of why!

If you have changed your mind why are you obsessing over A Block, encouraging people to see it as a failure and getting sent photos from spy's in the West Stand

You obviously move in exalted circles and are clearly more important than me.! Katrien ehh!

I am just someone who started attending games ten years ago and loves going to see Charlton. I have found a way to do this and save some cash. This does not make me thick, criminal or somehow a second rate fan for malcontents across the stadium to to
    Target.
    Did they arrive in March or January? There's no reason why you would know I sit in the east stand, but it does mean I couldn't have taken the pictures, which was the point.

Not everything is a binary choice between good and bad. It's perfectly possible to have a good team and a poor administration, and vice versa. Or, as is more likely, a mixture of both.

We've done what happened last season to death, but it's still my view that the sale of Kermorgant was a mistake and that the owner can't pick the team. But you deal with what's in front of you, otherwise we'd still be talking about the sacking of Jimmy Seed, if not the move to Catford in 1923.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ps I a, outa here

MrOneLung said:

Some people just don't get it, do they ?

Would a supermarket have a sale on mince and let the customer stroll off with top of the range steak for the same price ?
    I get that some people have spent months going on about this and have missed no opportunity to have a dig at the idea and especially the people who brought tickets. I was called a traitor by some in the Lower North!

Actually the majority of A Blockers sit where they were allocated and in my case intend buy a £250 seat next year ( having been introduced to the East Stand by the scheme) . I think that this will become self regulating as if we become more successful since there will be bums on seats.

In the meantime those of you in more expensive seats; If you want to join us I am sure we can squeeze you in!
  • Options
    But it's been happening for years!! You have been able to walk around the whole ground (apart from JS obviously) for yonks now! Christ do people really think that every person has always sat in their same actual seat before this season?? Seriously!??
  • Options

IAgree said:

IAgree said:

Target.
    Did they arrive in March or January? There's no reason why you would know I sit in the east stand, but it does mean I couldn't have taken the pictures, which was the point.

Not everything is a binary choice between good and bad. It's perfectly possible to have a good team and a poor administration, and vice versa. Or, as is more likely, a mixture of both.

We've done what happened last season to death, but it's still my view that the sale of Kermorgant was a mistake and that the owner can't pick the team. But you deal with what's in front of you, otherwise we'd still be talking about the sacking of Jimmy Seed, if not the move to Catford in 1923.

I agree re Kermogant ( who would have been great with Igore) and there are some things I have not liked either and I am generally upbeat about the Club at the moment.
  • Options

But it's been happening for years!! You have been able to walk around the whole ground (apart from JS obviously) for yonks now! Christ do people really think that every person has always sat in their same actual seat before this season?? Seriously!??

What's new is the ST price differential of up to £300 and the numbers doing it, plus how obvious it is. But if you promote something like the £150 ticket it's hardly surprising if people take an interest in how it is working out.