Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

Comments

• Options
    Great win obviously and probably just about deserved it. Funny old game as they say though. Last week we lost two points as result of a late deflected shot and this week won them back courtesy of a wicked deflection which saw an injury time Frank Moussa shot arc, agonisingly over Scott Carson.

Went in front a little against the run of play. Jordan Cousins hit a screamer cutting in from the left, having received the ball from Gudmundsson who had conjured a typically classy cross-field pass.

Their equaliser was a little disappointing, but credit to Callum McManaman who turned Rhoys Wiggins inside out to score a brilliant individual goal. Once that equaliser had gone in though I felt we had the better of what was left of the first half.

Wigan probably had the balance of possession in the second half, but didn't really create much and I don't recall ever having that ".. s... this is it ... " feeling.

By contrast, following the arrival of Moussa and Wilson for Tucudean and Jackson respectively (Wilson played on the right, Cousins moved into Jackson's position and Gudmundsson switched to the left), we began to threaten late in the game. Vetokele should have scored when clean through, a Solly cutback, when played in by Wilson, just didn't quite find a man and then there was the Moussa chance and bedlam!!

Peeters has a plan and I felt we played like a proper football team today for the first time in a long time. It wasn't always effective, but we played the ball out patiently from the back and, at times, played some very neat stuff. We'll get better.

I was very impressed by Buyens (he's a very good player), Ben Haim and Bikey-Amougou today. Feel a bit for Michael Morrison. He's been a warrior for us over the last three seasons, but he's not in the same class as today's centre backs. Gudmundsson looks a very capable player too.

Vetokele found it hard work today against Kiernan and Ramis. He didn't give up though and almost got his reward at the end. There's probably more doubt about Tucudean, but he's no mug either. He showed some nice touches today and I could see why Peeters wants to start him. He might just come good.

Pope looked very assured when he came on.

Early days yet and a long way to go, but a very pleasing start. We're in much better shape than we were last season.

• Options
    On holiday. Have missed Col U and now this:(

There is nothing better than a last minute winner at the Valley, going mental in the crowd when we score. I hope this carries on against Derby. I can only go by the stats which say 12 attempts by us, 5 on target. 4 for them, 1 on target.

Having watched it on the BBC website, we categorically deserved it.

I cannot wait for Tuesday, it's been too long
  • Options
    Rob said:

It's interesting what Bob said about being able to take advantage of the other team tiring because of the bigger pitch. Did that happen today with at the end?

Yes, I think it did ...and will happen again.
  • Options
    Bikey was sensational. I get the feeling nothing will get past him in any sense of the word.

Was going to say that the Wigan fans got what they deserved the way they laughed at Henderson but after the Carson incident, not so much.
  • Options
    Took us a while to get going and feared they were going to overrun us in midfield but we grew into the game and Buyens started to impose himself and I was very impressed with his work rate and always made himself available. Gud's distribution looked great but doesn't look like he's going to take his man on and will look to pass his way through.

Henderson didn't really have too much to do. Thought he could have done better with the goal but probably being unfair as need to see it again. His kicking left a LOT to be desired though and Pope should have been warming up for a few minutes as he was indicating he was crocked for ages (not that it matters that much with a keeper I know just like our subs ready to go).

George worked hard but will need to get used to the physical side of the Championship and think he may be a confidence player so fingers crossed for a goal soon. Igor closes down really well and we defended from the front really well.

Jacko did nothing wrong specifically but maybe should have come off after an hour.

Wiggins had a rare off day and the central pairing definitely showed their experience of playing at a higher level.

Good to see Peeters telling Uwe where to go at the end and think he appreciated the support he got. Depends totally on results I suppose but he has the potential to be a fans favourite.
  • Options
    Didn't go but great result and great home debut. I'm a little concerned that their only shot on target went in. Was it a good goal or our cock-up? Our complete inability to defend a lead is going to hurt us this season.
  • Options

The most rewarding aspect was seeing their centre half conceding just a minute after he refused to give the ball back !

Spot on. I said exactly that.
  • Options
    Phew! Just about deserved the win for the first and last 10 mins.

Cousins was excellent and appears better on the left than the right - being able to cut inside and shoot seems to suit him.

TBH is very cool on the ball and made some excellent passes and of course that run in the build-up to the goal. I think Morro and Bikey will make an excellent partnership but TBH very much has the shirt. A dodgy 5 minute spell aside, Bikey was excellent, as was Solly. As others have mentioned, Wiggins really hasn't hit the heights of his first 2 seasons with us.

Vetokele was a bit off the boil but did work hard and really made that chance for himself.

Tucudean is nailed on to be this year's scapegoat. He wasn't great but it was noticeable when he went off that Wigan's defence started to dominate physically.

Gudmondsson was OK. He clearly has talent and I think he'll be a good signing once he's settled in.

JJ disappointing today. Buyens looked class until tiring towards the end.

All in all an encouraging display and nice for my son to finally see us win after not seeing a single victory all last season!
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Didn't go but great result and great home debut. I'm a little concerned that their only shot on target went in. Was it a good goal or our cock-up? Our complete inability to defend a lead is going to hurt us this season.

A good goal, great play by mcmanamanaman
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We deserved a draw at 75mins but for the 5 minute spell of attack at the end we deserved the win. Apart from mcmanaman who is a real star they weren't that good. We looked very comfortable on the ball up until their goal where wiggins just could not keep pace with macca. Bikey is sheer quality and could be the best signing as he gives a calm to the back four along with ben haim that I have not seen for a long time. Cousins goal was a blinder and I was so gobsmacked at moussa's goal that I had forgiven all the misses before that. Euphoria and amazement . Fantastic win and looking good for Tuesday. Love this club.
  • Options

Bikey is sheer quality and could be the best signing as he gives a calm to the back four along with ben haim that I have not seen for a long time.

Agreed, bikey class! I'd like to see him with Gomez as would inject a bit of pace and feel his experience could see Gomez prosper
  • Options
    Also the Pies are the bollocks... Service still shit but food is a lot better
  • Options
    WSS said:

Gutted that I missed Jordan's goal. That's spectacular.
  • Options
    Buyens looked class, a real box to box midfielder always running into space and looking for the ball and all round top team performance! Only negatives Henderson and wiggins, also very disappointing that some fans in the north lower felt the need to hurl abuse at Carson after the second goal.
  • Options
    Wigan had a lot of the ball but didn't create much. We had more chances. Henderson at fault for the goal and his kicking is poor. Lucky winner but makes up for last week. Just about deserved it over the 90.
  • Options
    Anyone else see Ben haim rolling arround on the pitch celebrating the last minute winner? Brilliant passion and great performance from Him today
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Fiiish said:

Only Charlton fans...
    Gotta love em...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now that is what I call a proper football team.
    Firstly, getting a proper pitch ( which looked like it belonged to a fairway on one of the holes at Augusta ) has sorted out playing some decent football on the ground. No excuses for long ball rubbish! I was at the game on Tuesday in the west stand near the front and could see how good the pitch was but sitting up top in the East stand today gives you a view of how stunning the pitch is.
    Secondly, Bikey and Haim look like a great partnership and the other new players impressed in a game where we seemed to finish both halves the stronger.
    A great finish from Cousins for the first after cutting in from the left to get past Perch and then seemingly nutmegging the other oncoming defender with a peach of a curler past Carson. Wiggy probably at fault for their equaliser when misjudging the high ball down our right and then getting beaten easily by McMananaman to get a shot past Henderson. Vetokele had 2 great chances to score, breaking free from the last man to get a one on one with Carson who stuck up a hand to block his shot and then failing to get on the end of a dangerous cross from Solly which then fell to Gudmonssen who could not get his shot away. Vetokele then laid off the ball to Moussa for a shot that had all the oosh taken out of it by the defender only to see it float in slow-mo over Carson to nestle in the back of the net. 3 well deserved points against one of the favourites to go up. Left the ground with the feeling that this could be an interesting season. As the sign said on the big screen, the futures bright.........
  • Options
    Fantastic game, end to end with us finally getting on top in the last 5 minutes and fully deserving the win after missing a double chance then Carson fantastic save from Ventokele. The longer the game went on the more Buyens ran. Really pleased with Pope who looked more assured than Henderson in my view.
  • Options
    Great day for last minute goals... One just went in at the Emirates...
  • Options
    How many fans made it down from Wigan today? There's no direct trains between London and Wigan on August weekends so good effort for those who made it.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Anyone else see Ben haim rolling arround on the pitch celebrating the last minute winner? Brilliant passion and great performance from Him today

Always read in the past that his attitude is questionable and that he doesn't care, so this is great to hear.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Buyens, a very big plus, love him already. Easily my MOM. Bikey the beast, runner up. Wiggy will improve, not his finest hour today. Popey trying to flatten the entire Wigan team raised a norty cheer from me. BP definitely has passion, whether or not it's a good idea to totally lose your cool at the end of a game is debatable, but clearly the Wigan manager said something to him which really upset him. A something for everyone game and most of it was enjoyable. Is there a thread for photos for those who couldn't be there today as I seem to have taken one or two ( AFKA groans and prays my sign in problems return :-) ???)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

How many fans made it down from Wigan today? There's no direct trains between London and Wigan on August weekends so good effort for those who made it.

No more than 200.
  • Options
    Loved the game, proper passing football and some very capable players now on show. I love Bikey, I hope he has solid form most of this season, as he will be immense. Vetokele will get a decent quota of goals this season, his pace is great.
  • Options
    Posting without reading.

Three lovely juicy points and a home win, so in one way it is perfect and Bob and the new Charlton delivered big time, and personally I am delighted.

Really there ought not be anything to add but I shall continue anyway.

We are still a work in progress, the players remain very unfamiliar with each other and we are not yet convincing as a proper team. We snatched a win in a match that was pretty dull and turgid for long spells, brightened by infrequent moments of magic.

The first magic moment was Jordan (he's one of our own) Cousins cutting in from the left and unleashing a rocket shot past Carson in to his top left hand corner, although it was early on, it was already against the run of play and for that reason alone it was very welcome. The fact that it will be a goal of the season contender also helped brighten the mood.

However Macmanaman was basically ripping Rhoys a new one and he equalised with clever play, but Henderson should never have been beaten by a shot across the front of him into the far post from a pretty narrow angle, also somebody ought to have been backing Rhoys up anyway as he was being run ragged by Macmananananamaan.

The good news is that after the equaliser, despite the obvious quality of their players, Wigan took a bit of a step back and as the game went on we actually fashioned the best chances, but it was worrying because we thought one moment of ex-prem magic from one of theirs might undo us.

I don't have a clue why Henderson went off for Pope, but it turned out to be no big loss. From when we brought on Moussa and were forced to keep the ball on the deck we started to make good chances, lots of flicked balls into space for willing runners to latch on to and panic Wigan, we really ought to have scored. When Moussa's speculative effort took a wicked deflection and ballooned over a desperately backpeddling and beaten Carson, it was a time stands still moment. When the ball dropped in everybody went quite mad, especially our bench.

Three lovely juicy points.

Carson generously clapped us after the final whistle, and George T rushed on grinning and hugging everybody as if he had scored the winner himself. George likes a victory just as much as the next man!

As for us. well Henderson did not impress, neither did Gudmusson or sadly Rhoys Wiggins. Igor, TBH, Jacko, were average, Tucadean has qualities, not least an impressive first touch, Cousins tried too hard to repeat his goal and then looked out of position. Which leaves Solly who was very good, and a surprise for me Buyens was good too, and in my eyes Bikey was clearly our man of the match.
    Decent cameo from Moussa, and Pope did very well having to come on as he did, Lawrie Wilson also added something when he came on.

We are not anywhere near there yet, but seem to be heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    i'm drunk and i don't care. jordan cousins take a bow, big bob take one after, loverley fackin juberley!