Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

Comments

• Options

We were lucky yesterday. In the second half it took us until the last minute to have a shot anywhere near the target. Don't you find that peculiar?

We are at home. We get an attacking throw-in, our man has the ball over his head and is poised, frozen. Time passes. Eventually, one of our midfielders rushes up from thirty yards, receives the ball awkwardly and taps it back to him. By then, two Wigan defenders are in his ear, and we lose possession.

It's not just I who notices this: all the East Stand were complaining.

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: We were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

Please tell me your only saying this for the bites?

• Options
    How many shots did they have Viewfinder? Maybe you need to adjust the focus on your lens.
  • Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

We were lucky yesterday. In the second half it took us until the last minute to have a shot anywhere near the target. Don't you find that peculiar?

We are at home. We get an attacking throw-in, our man has the ball over his head and is poised, frozen. Time passes. Eventually, one of our midfielders rushes up from thirty yards, receives the ball awkwardly and taps it back to him. By then, two Wigan defenders are in his ear, and we lose possession.

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: we were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time some simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

I sat in the east stand. I remember a one on one amongst others.
    Not in the second half you didn't - wherever you sit. In the second half we did nothing at all until the 90th minute: Vetoleke's one-on-one with Carson.

Don't you think it strange that when Cousins scored, he rushed down the touchline, embraced all the people in the front row, gave blessings to the disabled, hugged his mother, and leaped in to Peeters' arms?

Could you imagine Derek Hales, Paul Walsh, or Yann Kermorgant doing that? Good players defend, pass, move and attack. It's their bloody job.
    Sorry I must have been watching another game concerning Cousins. Yes he run down the line, he embraced no-one, he did not interact with the disabled, and only smacked Peeters hand. If you have to make up stories just to complain about Charlton, why go, or better still, yes go, TO ANOTHER CLUB, you are obviously a miserable person that just likes complaining. It must be galling for you that we won
    What did you think about Wigan? It was obvious within three minutes of kick-off that their players have far better technical skills: their control of the ball, accurate passing, understanding of space, and physical strength.

Take Wigan's goal, for example. Didn't we make a mess of it somewhere in midfield, as usual? There was long curving ball that beat Wiggins; their attacker was in behind him, he controlled the ball, beat Wiggins twice and again, and curved a low shot across Henderson in to the net.

Can you imagine Callum Harriott doing that? Or Joe Pigott, on the defender's shoulder, anticipating the trajectory and quickly away? We were lucky yesterday.

Possibly the funniest man alive
  • Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: we were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time some simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

Not in the second half you didn't - wherever you sit. In the second half we did nothing at all until the 90th minute: Vetoleke's one-on-one with Carson.

Don't you think it strange that when Cousins scored, he rushed down the touchline, embraced all the people in the front row, gave blessings to the disabled, hugged his mother, and leaped in to Peeters' arms?

Could you imagine Derek Hales, Paul Walsh, or Yann Kermorgant doing that? Good players defend, pass, move and attack. It's their bloody job.
    Sorry I must have been watching another game concerning Cousins. Yes he run down the line, he embraced no-one, he did not interact with the disabled, and only smacked Peeters hand. If you have to make up stories just to complain about Charlton, why go, or better still, yes go, TO ANOTHER CLUB, you are obviously a miserable person that just likes complaining. It must be galling for you that we won
    What did you think about Wigan? It was obvious within three minutes of kick-off that their players have far better technical skills: their control of the ball, accurate passing, understanding of space, and physical strength.

Take Wigan's goal, for example. Didn't we make a mess of it somewhere in midfield, as usual? There was long curving ball that beat Wiggins; their attacker was in behind him, he controlled the ball, beat Wiggins twice and again, and curved a low shot across Henderson in to the net.

Can you imagine Callum Harriott doing that? Or Joe Pigott, on the defender's shoulder, anticipating the trajectory and quickly away? We were lucky yesterday.

Wigan have quality players aquired over a period with Premier League money and a progressive owner.

Charlton in contrast have effectively a new team that has barely a handful of games to its name.

They were more cohesive and better drilled than us but we competed and IMHO looked like a side looking to play the right way and on a learning curve.

If you cannot see that we are not the finished article but have a huge potential then I suggest your "viewfinder" needs re calibrating.
  • Options
    Viewfinder, you have also conveniently forgotten Moussa's shot when he came on that went just wide of the target from inside the box.

You do realize that Wigan have spent a long time in the Premier League recently and their budget over the years absolutely eclipses ours'?

We won FFS, enjoy it.
  • Options
    Your tone was very positive yesterday @Viewfinder compared to today's back to the old what happens at Sparrows Lane monotony.

Yes, Yes, Yes! It was about bloody time we got lucky with a deflection. We all remember the catalogue of deflected shots last season that left our keeper stranded and all of us beaten, open-mouthed.

We must learn to keep the bright early start going: we sagged after 20 minutes, rallied at the end of the first half - yet had nothing going forward in the second. Wigan have better players than us: it was patently obvious throughout the game that they dig themselves out of defensive holes accurately and quickly, and win possession in midfield. I was surprised by the weakness of their attack.

In the second half, we lapsed in to our failings of the past two years. Ten-yard triangles on the half-way line end in tears. Our two strikers lack the movement off the ball to stretch the opposition and inspire passes from defence. And, we are still deathly slow with the basics - even our goal-kicks at 1-1 take an age, the keeper retrieving the ball itself, placing it precisely, waving the team from left to right, puffing out his cheeks and tapping his heels...

Good coaching will build a head of steam and keep the momentum going. This time last year we failed with Gower, Hughes and Pritchard, et al. The players we have now are a bloody sight better. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't stamp our authority on this league and be in the play-offs next May.

• Options
    I agree, does get boring view finder, everyone is allowed there view on the game
  • Options
    @viewfinder I didn't realise Wigan fans were so bitter.

Comparing

LuckyReds said:

Not in the second half you didn't - wherever you sit. In the second half we did nothing at all until the 90th minute: Vetokele's one-on-one with Carson.

@viewfinder I didn't realise Wigan fans were so bitter.

Cousins did none of the above when celebrating anyway, but he was obviously delighted he scored a worldy and rightfully so. What was his celebration supposed to be? Shake Jacko's hand, jog back to the half and shout "nil nil lads" Sunday league style?

If you can't enjoy a great goal by a 20 year old lad who came through the Charlton ranks, then you are in for a very depressing season @Viewfinder‌
  • Options
    @Viewfinder‌

Your posts are just hard to fathom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC says we had 12 shots, 5 on target. In comparison Wigan had 4, with only 1 on target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28716513
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    'It was Wigan's first goal at The Valley in the fourth meeting between the clubs in south London.'

Not good enough.....

Nah really really big win, if there is a time to pick up 'lucky' (just a return of fortune from the Brentford goal) points like this it's now, if we can pick up some good points early the players might start dreaming of sneaking into the high top half. Who knows.

Only bad thing about the start of the season is Millwall sit above us. :-)

• Options
    weirdo alert
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Totally enjoyed the game yesterday. Charlton are a work in progress but there are definite positive signs. The pitch looks great, there was lots of decent passing. Injury time winners are always great. I was happy and encouraged with the performance of the team, even if Charlton had not have won.

Cousins scored a great goal from a terrific Gudmundsson pass. In the hat for the goal of the season. Gudmundsson looks quick. Defence with Bikey and Ben Haim was solid. Bikey was excellent. Buyens looks decent in midfield and Ventekele looks strong. Moussa did really well when he came on, as he was always looking to play forward. Not always successfully, but it helped to put Wigan on the back foot.

The team is still developing. Tucudean did not look up to Championship level. A lot of charitable comments about him developing and get to grips with Championship level. I don't see that. For the subs bench. Jackson looked out of sorts in midfield.

Bob Peeters nicely timed substitutions and his passion with scoring and not putting up with Uwe Rosler lack of class was great to see.

If Charlton can get a decent strike partner for Ventokele, a winger for left midfield and a creative midfielder, I can see the team pushing the top 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

Wigan have quality players aquired over a period with Premier League money and a progressive owner.

Charlton in contrast have effectively a new team that has barely a handful of games to its name.

They were more cohesive and better drilled than us but we competed and IMHO looked like a side looking to play the right way and on a learning curve.

If you cannot see that we are not the finished article but have a huge potential then I suggest your "viewfinder" needs re calibrating.
    This is the strange thing: You excused Chris Powell because you didn't like Slater & Jimenez, and you excuse Duchatelet because he's got lots of money.

Our opponents have all those concerns - and much more. They too, have new players and unlikely managers; Barnsley won at The Valley barely three months ago, and still went down. Welling fielded an experimental team in July - and beat our best players, 2-0.

After 20 minutes yesterday we played just as we did last season and the season before: we are utterly weak in midfield.
  • Options
    I'd have Carson and Macmanaman in our team but can't say any other Wigan players stood out for me. Once again the number of chances created was in the teens whereas last season it was 15 some days and less than five in others.
    Add Hamer, Poyet and Kermorgant back to the squad and more draws like Brentford become wins...but they're not coming back so I trust Peeters, Meire and M.Duchatelet to secure the services of the right players to keep this going now that they've done the hard part by getting us started. Momentum and direction is the hardest thing to shift in any organisation whether it's a football club, a big corporate or a government department.
    So it is a pleasure to read so many comments appreciating the changes on and off the pitch at our club.
  • Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

This is the strange thing: You excused Chris Powell because you didn't like Slater & Jimenez, and you excuse Duchatelet because he's got lots of money.

Our opponents have all those concerns - and much more. They too, have new players and unlikely managers; Barnsley won at The Valley barely three months ago, and still went down. Welling fielded an experimental team a month ago - and beat our best players, 2-0.

After 20 minutes yesterday we played just as we did last season and the season before: utterly weak in midfield.
    Not sure how to put this but what you've written is bollox.

Exactly, our mid is a league above last years
  • Options
    Ignore the WUM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone got a clip of the Carson save from Igor they could post.

• Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

Our opponents have all those concerns - and much more. They too, have new players and unlikely managers; Barnsley won at The Valley barely three months ago, and still went down. Welling fielded an experimental team a month ago - and beat our best players, 2-0.

After 20 minutes yesterday we played just as we did last season and the season before: utterly weak in midfield.

Of course our midfield is better now, though there are some people who prefer Bradley Pritchard to any of the best. And yet we played very badly yesterday: Were you there at The Valley, watching? What exactly did you make our inability to get near Carson until the 90th minute?

• Options
    If that was playing badly wtf did you think of the last few seasons ?
  • Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

Of course our midfield is better now, though there are some people who prefer Bradley Pritchard to any of the best. And yet we played very badly yesterday: Were you there at The Valley, watching? What exactly did you make our inability to get near Carson until the 90th minute?

You do know we scored in the 8th minute don't you? Oh, Carson also made a very good save from Wiggins in the first half as well.

You're mental.
  • Options

ross1 said:

LuckyReds said:

We had a number of attempts before the 90th, I counted 3/4 decent chances not including JC goal,

Why moan all the time? If you don't like the way we play then don't go

Yes Wigan kept the ball far better but possession dose not win football matches
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you don't agree with certain posters comments then fair enough.

However to start telling these people that these posters are mental, being a child or having serous problems is out of order.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You really are the definition of a troll aren't you viewfinder
  • Options
    Viewfinder is just on a bit of a wind up and I can see a few have bitten. Viewfinder's stuff is entertaining nonsense. Its all good as long and you are not seriously trying to engage with any of it.