Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes, Yes, Yes! It was about bloody time we got lucky with a deflection. We all remember the catalogue of deflected shots last season that left our keeper stranded and all of us beaten, open-mouthed.

We must learn to keep the bright early start going: we sagged after 20 minutes, rallied at the end of the first half - yet had nothing going forward in the second. Wigan have better players than us: it was patently obvious throughout the game that they dig themselves out of defensive holes accurately and quickly, and win possession in midfield. I was surprised by the weakness of their attack.

In the second half, we lapsed in to our failings of the past two years. Ten-yard triangles on the half-way line end in tears. Our two strikers lack the movement off the ball to stretch the opposition and inspire passes from defence. And, we are still deathly slow with the basics - even our goal-kicks at 1-1 take an age, the keeper retrieving the ball itself, placing it precisely, waving the team from left to right, puffing out his cheeks and tapping his heels...

Good coaching will build a head of steam and keep the momentum going. This time last year we failed with Gower, Hughes and Pritchard, et al. The players we have now are a bloody sight better. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't stamp our authority on this league and be in the play-offs next May.

• Options

Yes, Yes, Yes! It was about bloody time we got lucky with a deflection. We all remember the catalogue of deflected shots last season that left our keeper stranded and all of us beaten, open-mouthed.

We must learn to keep the bright early start going: we sagged after 20 minutes, rallied at the end of the first half - yet had nothing going forward in the second. Wigan have better players than us: it was patently obvious throughout the game that they dig themselves out of defensive holes accurately and quickly, and win possession in midfield. I was surprised - gladly - by the weakness of their attack.

In the second half, we lapsed in to our weaknesses of the past two years. Ten-yard triangles on the half-way line end in tears. Our two strikers lack the movement off the ball to stretch the opposition and inspire passes from the defence. And, we are still deathly slow with the basics - even our goal-kicks at 1-1 take an age, retrieving the ball itself, then our keeper is waving the team from left to right, puffing out his cheeks and tapping his heels...

Good coaching will build a head of steam and keep the momentum going. This time last year we failed with Gower, Hughes and Pritchard, et al. The players we have now are a bloody sight better - and there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't stamp our authority on this league and be in the play-offs next May.

Quick !

Someone take Viewfinder's temperature !

:-)

• Options
    Left feeling very happy. A lucky stoppage time winner always does that! Thought Gudmansson looked class, Bikey immense, TBH did well as did Buyens. Great strike form Jordan, hope that lifts his confidence. Was disappointed with Wiggins, he did not seem right today, and wished Wilson had been given a start. Was very impressed by Pope flattening two Wigan men at the same time. Great to see Malcolm looking fit and well before the match and well received along with Rylo, his life saver. All in all, a good afternoon, even if the result was a little bit lucky, we deserve some! Just one thing that puzzles me, why was everyone wearing boots in silly colours? Whats wrong with black?
  • Options

Left feeling very happy. A lucky stoppage time winner always does that! Thought Gudmansson looked class, Bikey immense, TBH did well as did Buyens. Great strike form Jordan, hope that lifts his confidence. Was disappointed with Wiggins, he did not seem right today, and wished Wilson had been given a start. Was very impressed by Pope flattening two Wigan men at the same time. Great to see Malcolm looking fit and well before the match and well received along with Rylo, his life saver. All in all, a good afternoon, even if the result was a little bit lucky, we deserve some! Just one thing that puzzles me, why was everyone wearing boots in silly colours? Whats wrong with black?

Good to speak to you in Barts before the game, HA.

Will look out for you on Tuesday evening.

• Options
    Thanks Fanny. Nice to chat to you too. Hopefully see you Tuesday.
  • Options

Thanks Fanny. Nice to chat to you too. Hopefully see you Tuesday.

Sailing very close to the wind.
    Oooh, you are a one, Wmt !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Great result , what with one thing and another I'm not gonna get to see the rip roaring goal scoring Addicks till Brighton away but all sounds very promising
    Once I opened Charlton Life and saw there wasn't a load of whinging threads about how shit the ref was I knew we'd won !

Great strike from Cousins , didn't think he had that in his locker fairplay
    Wiggins got turned this way and that but on the limited I've seen of Henderson (he looks like he's carrying a bit to me) it may be a blessing if Pope gets a run

Last minute dream winner and a proper loop gutted not to be part of it but a win is more important than me
    Scum winning and us being lowest of the south london footballing triumvirate takes the edge of it but it's a marathon not a sprint , keep going Big Bad Bob

0.5% top two.........9.5% 3rd-6th.......... 40% 7th-12th.........49% 13th-21st......... 1% Relegation
  • Options

We must learn to keep the bright early start going: we sagged after 20 minutes, rallied at the end of the first half - yet had nothing going forward in the second. Wigan have better players than us: it was patently obvious throughout the game that they dig themselves out of defensive holes accurately and quickly, and win possession in midfield. I was surprised - gladly - by the weakness of their attack.

In the second half, we lapsed in to our weaknesses of the past two years. Ten-yard triangles on the half-way line end in tears. Our two strikers lack the movement off the ball to stretch the opposition and inspire passes from the defence. And, we are still deathly slow with the basics - even our goal-kicks at 1-1 take an age, retrieving the ball itself, then our keeper is waving the team from left to right, puffing out his cheeks and tapping his heels...

Good coaching will build a head of steam and keep the momentum going. This time last year we failed with Gower, Hughes and Pritchard, et al. The players we have now are a bloody sight better - and there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't stamp our authority on this league and be in the play-offs next May.

Quick !

Someone take Viewfinder's temperature !

:-)

It has lowered to 98.4 - and I expect Fanny the nurse to keep it steady...

• Options
    Great result, just the start we needed.

Seems a lifetime ago now that we had a few of our more hysterical posters predicting inevitable impending doom because we lost a pre-season friendly at Welling!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just seen the highlights on the Beeb. Great first goal, lucky with the second but if you kick enough balls at a end, one will go in I suppose. Their goal was good but looked like our defence should have done a lot better but McManaman is a quality player.

Rosler is a prize penis, no need for what he did at the end of the match. Would like to see him serve a touchline ban, embarrassing for someone like him to stoop to that level. SCP served a 2 game ban for less.

Just seen one of the pundits praise Charlton as a good club and one that could do well this season. Must be a first for the usually anti-CAFC Beeb.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    So many positives. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the pressure through bad goal kicks, too much fancy dribbling and bad passing. Other than that thought it went well and felt the win as soon as 5 minutes injury time was announced, we looked threatening on the wings the whole game and they looked tired.

Bikey and Ben Haim were brilliant, Bikey had a few meh moments but I thought TBH was just class, I counted 0 mistakes and some really crucial clearances, vital play for the second goal too. Solly, solly. People are being too harsh on Wiggins, he got better gradually and he was up against McManaman...everyone knows he's always on point for at least the first half, he won't play against any tougher than that this season. Not fussed about goalie, I think our defence is that solid, think both our goalies are good enough.

Buyens had to be the best player on the pitch for most of the game, what a player. Bit gutted about Jackson, stomach bug or not every game now he has seemed missing for me. I struggle to even give him a rating cause I don't notice him. His set pieces not great, struggles to keep up, not the best passer. Great captain and composure yeah but I think we'd be better off replacing him. JBG, naughty player, shame about the bad shots, other than that good game for him, loved his roulette. Cousins has to start every game, I'd be happy to see him and Buyens start in the midfield.

George again people being harsh, can tell he's a smart player, he'll come good, miles better footballer than Church so no complaints. Igor didn't have the best game but he's still a problem, gives the other team something to worry about, was gutted he missed the 1 on 1.

Finally, pitch beautiful, Bob, early days still but taken a liking to him. We play good football, call it arrogant but I think there's only a handful of teams that we should be worried about, think everyone else is for the taking.

If we signed another mid that can orchestrate an attack and another good striker (Delort maybe?) we'll make play offs in my eyes. Solid defense with good backups, solid midfield with decent backups, decent attacking line up but no back ups.

Henderson
    Solly TBH Bikey Wiggins
    Buyens
    JBG NewCAM Cousins
    Vetokele Delort

^ now that would be a team.
  • Options
    So far so good, and although Wigan will probably claim with some justification that they deserved a draw there were some very encouraging signs for us today. I thought that Ben Haim and Bikey looked a solid combination at the back along with Solly, although Wiggins was below his best and Buyens was impressive particularly first half. Vetokele also worked hard but should have put his late chance away and we need to take guilt edge chances like that and Harriot's miss last week. Nevertheless I would have certainly taken 4 pts out of the first 6 and it sets us up nicely for another tough game against Derby on Tuesday night. Also a word of praise to BP for some good substitutions at the right time which ultimately won us the game - COYR.
  • Options
    Fantastic.... Got a real feeling about this season... can't wait to get a feel for the game hope there is extended highlights on Player... and the Big Balls Bob incident just shows he's already one of us...

Moussa scoring, all be it deflected bodes very well for the future... there's just that feeling around the place isnt there...

Really looking forward to the season now...

Get Delort, and maybe a creative mid and we could be serious oppoition this year...
  • Options
    After today I am very positive on how this season will go. Wigan will be in and around the promotion places and our keepers didn't have a save to make other than the goal. Going forward we look like we have quality to trouble the opposition.

My MotM was Buyens, he was everywhere. Tuchadean was much better than last week, he needs to get used to the pace of this league as at times he wanted a little too much time with the ball.

Igor had little to go with but created a fantastic chance for himself. Henderson distribution is awful and it was the same last week, he can't kick a ball with any accuracy!

Can't wait for Tuesday now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John still is a great man, I have had the fortune to sit with and talk all things football from Sunday league to premiership, the man just breaths football and is a genuine nice fella

For a long time he has had a soft spot for cafc and told me our time will come again

• Options
    It's coming now,
  • Options
    Played some decent football at times, can only get better.

Just a shame some oiks decided it was appropriate to give Carson the wanker sign after we scored. Why?
  • Options
    Went straight from the game to a party and just surfaced this morning with a heavy head and a contented grin. Thought there was a real buzz about the place yesterday. Hopefully this team will gel and we will have a less stressful season than last year. Most of the relevant stuff has been said elsewhere in the this thread so I won't repeat it. Surprised that little has been written about Andy D'Arsehole who even by his own standards was utterly inept yesterday. Not particularly biased against us, just generally incompetent.
  • Options

Just one thing that puzzles me, why was everyone wearing boots in silly colours? Whats wrong with black?

Erm......where have you been the last 20 years? Boots in silly colours have been around for ages.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1StevieG said:

Just one thing that puzzles me, why was everyone wearing boots in silly colours? Whats wrong with black?

Erm......where have you been the last 20 years? Boots in silly colours have been around for ages.
    You can go back 45 years mate to Alan Hinton of Derby. Check this extract out from Wiki;

Whilst at Derby he was universally and affectionately known, amongst the fans by his nickname `Gladys` which stemmed from his aforementioned white boots and curly blonde perm
  • Options
    In regards to silly boots did anyone see Bikey's... one was pink the other blue
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Yeh quality, I wonder if they are like the 'love' and 'hate' tattoos you see on the knuckles of some followed by the question 'which one do you want'? Brave man who tells him to his face they look silly :-0
  • Options

Presumably they were Nike, many players were wearing one pink, one blue in the World Cup, seems they brought out a batch like that.