Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Cheers for that Callumcafc.

Peeters spat with him aside, Rosler really does come across as a bit blinkered in that interview. I thought we threatened them fairly often actually, and the same goes for a few periods towards the end of the first half.

Viewfinder's alternative take on life, (perchance fuelled by copious Vol aux Vents????????) can be entertaining. More fool those who get taken in by it. There is an "ignore" function for those who need it......

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an ignore function on here. I may be wrong but I've looked in the past.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Methinks that Viewfinder should change his name to Out of Focus, followed by Hocus Pocus.

I thought Mr. Magoo could be appropriate.

• Options
    edited August 2014

May I bring this thread back on topic?

Thoroughly enjoyed Sat - nothing like a last minute goal to give me my Charlton mojo back! Took up the VG ticket offer and sat near front of West Stand just behind our dugout. Fantastic seats, though view somewhat obscured at times by some enormous Belgian bloke in a rather scruffy suit jumping up and down and shouting a lot.

I like Big Bad Bob - he is so different from my beloved SCP that I can just accept him in his own right. To start with, he was shouting at individual players a lot - rather futile in the heat of a match. He calmed down after our goal and was dejected when they scored like all of us.

He was giving instructions out via Buyens a lot - clearly a good relationship there. When Wilson came on as sub for JJ, it was also noticeable that other players immediately knew what to do - JBG to left, Cousins into middle - seemed pre -planned.
    Also particularly liked way we then put on more pressure in closing stages. BBB was not happy when we missed late chances - think it was Mousa's strike just past the post that had him muttering about needing to convert the chances better.

Only heard him swear in Dutch once - at one of D'Urso's more bizarre decisions.

Of course, he went loopy when we scored - no malice at all in him running towards Rosler - just natural reaction took him in that direction. Flashpoint with UR then happened right in front of us -BBB was absolutely livid and it took three or four others to hold him back and calm him down. Imagine he is a bit embarassed about it now as sure he demands more composure from the players.

So glad we made the journey down and hope to get back to The Valley (looking fantastic) again soon - thanks, BBB and players old and new.

Interesting touchline perspective, particularly the Peeters/Buyens bit. Thanks.

Anyone seen this? Thought it was great! And no sign of gob on Carson?? Must have happened just after.

http://youtu.be/0KNXqB2xMsc
  • Options
    Brilliant result!

So far, I think we've looked really good this season. New signings Bikey, Buyens and Gudmundsson all look very good.

I think maybe Fox needs to come in for Wiggins, but we certainly look a lot better than we did last season.
  • Options
    Posting without reading. Overall I think we nicked 2 points there. No way Wigan deserved to win but not sure we did either. Saying that, we lost 2 points late on against Brentford so the old saying of these things evening themselves out seems to be holding true at this early stage.

The team that finished the game for us is, in my opinion, the team that should be starting. As much as I love Jackson I thought he contributed very little in either league game thus far and in the second half he barely touched the ball before coming off. Cousins, despite scoring that fantastic goal from the left, is much better in his preferred central position and JBG left with Wilson right offers far more both in attack and defence. Buyens was fanstastic. Such vision and range of passing combined with excellent, combative midfield tackling really makes him our star player so far. Him and Cousins together look a real force to be reckoned with.

Not yet convinced by Tucudean up front but Igor looks lively and I suspect he will develop into a real goal threat.

Defensively, Wiggins had another shocker and I would not be surprised to see Fox there on Tuesday night. Solly was dependable as ever and offered a decent attacking threat, particularly second half. Central defenders both immense for us and Morro is going to have his work cut out getting back in the team. I was disappointed with Henderson on Saturday. Kicking was generally poor and he made a meal out of a couple of fairly routine saves plus I can't help thinking that he should never have been beaten for their goal from that position.

Overall though, I saw a team that does not yet know each other that well play very well in patches and defend solidly against one of the favourites for promotion. Very, very encouraging.
  • Options
    Postives:
    Effective substitutions from Peeters
    Vetekole looks very good, hard working and capable of creating chances for himself and others
    Cousins looks very capable playing out wide, used to tear my hair out when I saw he was playing on the wing last season
    Bikey - absolute beast, would dread coming up against him if I was a forward
    Flashes of very good football, hopefully more to come as the players get to know each other
    Pope looked confident when he came on, a challenger for the No 1. spot, rather than a competent reserve keeper

Negatives:
    We allowed Wigan a shed load of possession. The first half in particular seemed to be played almost entirely in our half. Lucky to get away with it.
    Tucudean - Positionally ok, but ineffective. Appears to be playing a Kermorgant role, but not a patch on Yann.
    Must have missed something with Buyens, as everyone else seems to think he's great. I barely noticed him for most of the game.
  • Options
    Okay, we all have a different opinion on what it is to "play well" and I think we did play well and we will only get better. For those who think we didn`t play well come on, cast your mind back to Millwall at home last season!
  • Options
    I've got a colleague whose a Wigan fan and he went to the game. He said we looked a good side, much better than last season and we deserved at least a point. He did concede that on the basis that they didn't even take a shot in the last 15 minutes and we did, it'd be unfair to call us lucky to take all 3 points as if you create enough chances, one will go in eventully, even if it's a deflection.
  • Options
    Buyens looked like our MOTM based on the highlights on CAFC player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

Buyens looked like our MOTM based on the highlights on CAFC player.

He faded a bit second half for me but it was between him and the two CBs with Bikey just shading it but we'll see what the players marks thread reveals in an hour or so when Lancs has done it.
  • Options

Brilliant result!

So far, I think we've looked really good this season. New signings Bikey, Buyens and Gudmundsson all look very good.

I think maybe Fox needs to come in for Wiggins, but we certainly look a lot better than we did last season.

I'll give Wiggins the benefit of the doubt at the moment given that he was up against McManaman, arguably the best winger in the division.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing them live tomorrow, have seen them at Pompey, and on stream v Brentford. Must admit, signs are good, and the quality of the team and the football being played is much improved on this time last season. We seem to have much more strength in depth with an apparently smaller squad.Maybe thats the Duchatelet way/secret.
    Anyway, if things go our way, we could be top of the table at the end of tomorrow....stop it... lets not get carried away.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

We were lucky yesterday. In the second half it took us until the last minute to have a shot anywhere near the target. Don't you find that peculiar?

We are at home. We get an attacking throw-in, our man has the ball over his head and is poised, frozen. Time passes. Eventually, one of our midfielders rushes up from thirty yards, receives the ball awkwardly and taps it back to him. By then, two Wigan defenders are in his ear, and we lose possession.

It's not just I who notices this: all the East Stand were complaining.

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: we were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time some simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

I sat in the east stand. I remember a one on one amongst others.
    Not in the second half you didn't - wherever you sit. In the second half we did nothing at all until the 90th minute: Vetokele's one-on-one with Carson.

Don't you think it strange that when Cousins scored, he rushed down the touchline, embraced all the people in the front row, gave blessings to the disabled, hugged his mother, and leaped in to Peeters' arms?

Could you imagine Derek Hales, Paul Walsh, or Yann Kermorgant doing that? Good players defend, pass, move and attack. It's their bloody job.
    Top trolling
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights on player. It was great work from Vetokele to get one on one with Carson. Unbelievable strength and acceleration and with fast feet to match. Exciting player.

Seems we're starting to play some real football with quick and incisive passing. Looked like we made enough chances to put 4 past Wigan at least.

Excited about this season. I think RD and the club have done well to manage fan's expectations - in that none of us really knew what to expect going into the first game. But they've put together a team that looks more than capable of competing. We have pace and quality going forward and with Tal Ben Haim (who's been signed by Chelsea and Man City) and the beast Bikey, we have experience and quality at the back.

• Options

If Wiggo had been turned inside out like Solly was for Brentfords goal I think there'd be more criticism for what happened

What I wrote last week and then it happens this week !
    Twice McMannaman tore him a new one, including for the goal.
    Couldn't believe they didn't exploit that more. I would have been feeding him the ball at every opportunity on that flank

• Options
    Just had a nice email from the club thanking me for my support on Sat - I do like joined up marketing! Great quote from Big Bad Bob about how it is his fault when we lose but credit to players and fans when we win...he really is after that sainthood, isn't he?
  • Options

Just had a nice email from the club thanking me for my support on Sat - I do like joined up marketing! Great quote from Big Bad Bob about how it is his fault when we lose but credit to players and fans when we win...he really is after that sainthood, isn't he?

Don't you dare go there WA - it was bad enough with the knighthood of a previous gaffer and that ended in tears for a fair few!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    JonnyK said:

Don't you dare go there WA - it was bad enough with the knighthood of a previous gaffer and that ended in tears for a fair few!
    I kinda like "Big Bad Bob"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JonnyK said:

Me included...
  • Options
    When Jackson went off, who was skipper? sorry if it's been mentioned earlier.
  • Options

When Jackson went off, who was skipper? sorry if it's been mentioned earlier.

Wilson
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options
    I wouldn't swap JC for any other player in the division.

Jordan is played out of position, scores a screamer and changed the game when moved back into the middle. That's the role of an experienced pro and he can do that as a young lad.

All he needs to add to his game is long shots and he is the complete midfielder. So happy to see that strike

• Options

I wouldn't swap JC for any other player in the division.

Jordan is played out of position, scores a screamer and changed the game when moved back into the middle. That's the role of an experienced pro and he can do that as a young lad.

All he needs to add to his game is long shots and he is the complete midfielder. So happy to see that strike

He's been threatening to do something like that for a while but lacked the composure. If he can stop the panic attacks and keep his composure I think he could be a real goal threat.
  • Options
    Super start by us, but I believe that Bob might have to make a couple of difficult decisions. I will be interested to see how he handles them, is he as tough as he looks and sounds ?